Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D15 Local Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    In how many Local Election Areas, have you declared yourself as a Canidate?

I decided to run in 2 LEA: Dublin North Inner City and Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think in future years a social media campaign might have as much traction as the posters. I hate the posters but I can't see away around them.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    This and why Blanchardstown Mulhuddart?

This is a more complex answer. A year ago the Justice Minister organized a conference with more than 120 representatives from the immigrant organisations to encourage people to register to vote and to run for elections. After that there were several meetings organized by Immigrant Council of Ireland and those who announced that they intend to run were offered support (in promoting) by several business in the city center. Also, people from Dublin City Council persuaded me to run for the past years, hence my decision to register for Dublin North Inner City.

For the other LEA (Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart) the main argument was that more than 30% of the residents in Dublin 15 are of immigrant background. Also Blanchardstown area has the biggest concentration of Romanians living in Ireland. I do a lot of community work in that area so I decided to run there as well. The reason for running for Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart was the number of votes needed to get elected, as per the last results. Having almost no funding for the campaign I needed to run in an area where the numbers seemed more accessible.

I don't have high hopes, but I decided to take a leap of faith and see how it goes. As mentioned, over the past 8 years I was involved in community work but volunteering has its limitations and if I get elected there's better ways to continue what I've done so far. Sorry for the long reply :-)

beauf wrote: »
    I think in future years a social media campaign might have as much traction as the posters. I hate the posters but I can't see away around them.

I'm hoping that it won't take "future years" for that as I'm betting on social media for this campaign. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

beauf wrote: »

Of course there is a way around them. Look at Siomha Ní Aonghusa in pembroke, She is blowing up on social media at the moment.

The people that are actually trying to change the are are genuinely out doing their part week in week out over the last number of years, as opposed to people like that w@nk£r KITT who is being bankrolled into a job and hasn't done a tap for the local area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    For the other LEA (Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart) the main argument was that more than 30% of the residents in Dublin 15 are of immigrant background. Also Blanchardstown area has the biggest concentration of Romanians living in Ireland. I do a lot of community work in that area so I decided to run there as well. The reason for running for Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart was the number of votes needed to get elected, as per the last results. Having almost no funding for the campaign I needed to run in an area where the numbers seemed more accessible.

I don't have high hopes, but I decided to take a leap of faith and see how it goes. As mentioned, over the past 8 years I was involved in community work but volunteering has its limitations and if I get elected there's better ways to continue what I've done so far. Sorry for the long reply :-)

So you don't live in the area but you think you have the right to represent us?? Goodbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Caranica wrote: »
    So you don't live in the area but you think you have the right to represent us?? Goodbye!

While I would question running in 2 areas, there's a substantial amount of candidates and incumbents for all offices who run despite living outside a particular electoral area. I don't see a particular issue with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's pretty common in the local elections, not that I'm saying I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Zaph wrote: »
    Tom Kitt standing has really p*ssed me off. He was a TD for Dublin South for 24 years, so I was shocked to see that he actually lives in this area. He, or the party, clearly didn't want to upset the Brian Lenihan/Liam Lawlor ticket that FF had going for so long in Dublin West so he was parachuted into another constituency. Now when it suits, i.e. FF obviously having no credible younger candidates in the area, they trot out an old codger who a) has done nothing for the area he's lived in for years; and b) most likely doesn't need the gig thanks to his nice fat Dáil pension (just under €72k in 2014, on top of an almost €179k lump sum he received in 2011 when he left the Dáil).

I am a Fianna Fail member in Dublin West so I have kept off this thread so as not to be accused of canvassing.

However as a point of information to this post I really have to point out that the Tom Kitt who is standing for us in Ongar LEA is NOT the former minister from Dublin South.

They are two different people completely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dtf wrote: »
    I am a Fianna Fail member in Dublin West so I have kept off this thread so as not to be accused of canvassing.

However as a point of information to this post I really have to point out that the Tom Kitt who is standing for us in Ongar LEA is NOT the former minister from Dublin South.

They are two different people completely.

Thank you for your clarification and apologies for any offence caused to the candidate. I've deleted my post.

• Advertisement

So far I've done community work in all Dublin and outside of Dublin. The work I'm doing regarding employment law has seen me travel to corners of Ireland to discuss with stakeholders and voluntary work got me involved in both Dublin City Council and Fingal County Council. When helping, I don't limit myself to my neighborhood and I don't ask the person seeking help where they reside in order for me to decide if I will help or not. But I understand where you're coming from and don't blame you, but I'm sure if you could find help in a matter from someone who lives on the other part of the island, you would accept that help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't have any particular issue about someone from outside the area. As long as they are familiar with the issues, and the area. I would say I'm oblivious to many local issues, despite being a long time resident. I just don't have time, or the head space for all of them.
    DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    I'm hoping that it won't take "future years" for that as I'm betting on social media for this campaign. :)

I expect social media is fragmented. Different sections of society look at different parts of it and some none of it. Companies spend millions trying to work who looks at what and how to target them.

https://www.ppchero.com/pros-and-cons-of-top-social-media-advertising-platforms/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

To be honest, while I have strong political opinions nationally, at local elections I vote locally. Who has been helpful to me /the community organisations I'm involved with at dealing with local issues and who I've seen active on local issues.

An important part of that to me is living locally. It's part of why I'm so annoyed that the new LEA goes as far as Charlestown and Cappagh, areas we have little to do with and who do not share many common council issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

Caranica wrote:
    To be honest, while I have strong political opinions nationally, at local elections I vote locally. Who has been helpful to me /the community organisations I'm involved with at dealing with local issues and who I've seen active on local issues.

Then I'll take this opportunity to plug the one I'll be voting for. Gerry Sheehan, full disclosure, hes a good friend of mine but don't worry I am not him. He's living in Ongar since it was developed 15 or so yrs ago. He's been involved in alot of different committees in the area, I'm pretty sure he organised the tidy towns thing, and the community polytunnel beside the Astro pitch at St benedicts. He's helped out with the sports clubs, the basketball club mainly, Ongar Chasers, and also think he was on the special Olympic committee for the area. He's done other stuff too but can't remember exactly what. He genuinely wants to look after the area and not just doing it for the photo opportunities (not that any of the rest of them are either :-)) He has kids growing up in the area they're members of the sports clubs, so wants to make sure they're looked after with amenities and facilities!

While I agree that local issues should be the main reason for voting for candidates in local elections, I can't ignore the bigger picture of which party or on what issues (in the case of independents) they're standing for. So while Sheehan, just to take him as an example, may genuinely have the best interests of the area at heart, I can't look past the party he's standing for. They are so far from my own political and moral beliefs that I could never vote for them, even if a close relative was standing for them. And they're not the only ones, there are other parties I feel equally strongly about.

Zaph wrote: »
    While I agree that local issues should be the main reason for voting for candidates in local elections, I can't ignore the bigger picture of which party or on what issues (in the case of independents) they're standing for. So while Sheehan, just to take him as an example, may genuinely have the best interests of the area at heart, I can't look past the party he's standing for. They are so far from my own political and moral beliefs that I could never vote for them, even if a close relative was standing for them. And they're not the only ones, there are other parties I feel equally strongly about.

This is the main reason I decided to run independent. Many people told me that my chances to get elected tend to zero, but I politely turned down all the parties that tried to convinced me to join them and run on their behalf. In my opinion, being part of a party you need to follow instructions and as much as you want to do something, you need the "blessing" from the party you're a member of. And I've also discussed with other candidates and they confirmed my beliefs.

Yet again, it's the first time I'm running for elections so everything is new and there's a good chance I'm wrong. But I'll use this experience to learn from it.

Zaph wrote:

Ah yeah that's fair enough and I'm sure alot of people will vote based on the party too. But for local election I really don't think the party matters, or does it? I don't know the inner workings of councils.

I'm voting based on the fact that I know him and I know he does get involved in the local area. If it was a GE it would be different, where you from doesn't necessarily mean that area will be helped. For example, good old Leo's office is about 200yrds from my door and I have not once seen him in the area, and I can't think of anything he's helped the area with! Pity we didn't have a Healy Rae living in the area, we'd have the best street lighting known to man :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

17togo wrote: »
    Then I'll take this opportunity to plug the one I'll be voting for. Gerry Sheehan, full disclosure, hes a good friend of mine

You might tell him he has multiple violations in terms of the positioning of his posters throughout the area. Is it safe to assume his complete lack of regard for both the law and safety of others will continue if elected?!

You might tell him he has multiple violations in terms of the positioning of his posters throughout the area. Is it safe to assume his complete lack of regard for both the law and safety of others will continue if elected?!

Unfortunately pretty much every candidate is guilty of this. It's ironic given that they're local elections and litter control is one of the things the council is responsible for. But sure once they get elected they'll be able to turn a blind eye to any poster transgressions that are reported.

[quote=[CrimsonGhost]]You might tell him he has multiple violations in terms of the positioning of his posters throughout the area. Is it safe to assume his complete lack of regard for both the law and safety of others will continue if elected?![/quote]

Well if you can pinpoint where exactly I can let him know. I actually thought he did OK with his posters, they seemed to be fairly high up the poles where I've seen them. And it would be safe to assume that if there are a few poster hung outside of the guidelines it doesn't mean he's destined to break the law and put people's safety at risk if he's on the council, same as all the other candidates. 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can’t comment on breaking the rules, but I think it’s pretty bad form of him to put two posters on some poles. Not as bad as Tom Kitt who has 3, but still bad form. Apart from anything else, it just illustrates that you’re either lazy or spent way too much money on posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can’t comment on breaking the rules, but I think it’s pretty bad form of him to put two posters on some poles. Not as bad as Tom Kitt who has 3, but still bad form. Apart from anything else, it just illustrates that you’re either lazy or spent way too much money on posters.

McManus: also a fan of the 3-poster strategy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I assumed that the two and three posters per pole were to 'claim' that pole and try to ensure no other candidates could get on it. It reflects poorly on the candidate despite the fact they probably aren't the one (or only one) who hung them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I came across this, following the settlement of a Court case yesterday. It certainly makes me really think twice if this particular political party has evolved at all.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sinn-fin-activist-makes-unreserved-apology-to-fine-gael-councillor-over-comments-posted-on-facebook-38118301.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

17togo wrote: »
    Ah yeah that's fair enough and I'm sure alot of people will vote based on the party too. But for local election I really don't think the party matters, or does it? I don't know the inner workings of councils.

It seems like parties largely vote in blocks on council motions. They're unlikely to follow some central party strategy, but you are supporting a block of councillors. It's worth thinking about what the block of councillors are likely to do.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I came across this, following the settlement of a Court case yesterday. It certainly makes me really think twice if this particular political party has evolved at all.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sinn-fin-activist-makes-unreserved-apology-to-fine-gael-councillor-over-comments-posted-on-facebook-38118301.html

Timed very well wasnt it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

oLoonatic wrote: »

You don't get to the high court within a day or two of complaints.

But of course I assume you're not insinuating that the state somehow organised the timing of this from way back when Leddy, by his own volition, defamed someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

This has been in the media and courts for months

Hurrache wrote: »
    You don't get to the high court within a day or two of complaints.

But of course I assume you're not insinuating that the state somehow organised the timing of this from way back when Leddy, by his own volition, defamed someone else?

No i'm not wearing a tinfoil hat!!. I meant the timing of the article coming out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

No i'm not wearing a tinfoil hat!!. I meant the timing of the article coming out.

Today is Friday. The judgement in the high court came Thursday.

Advertisement