Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D15 Local Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Zaph wrote: »
    When they what? In 15 years in D15 I've had a grand total of one candidate ever calling to my door - David Hall when he stood in the bye-election in 2014. And at most I've maybe only ever had 2 or 3 people canvassing on behalf of candidates call. I don't know where these people canvass, but for whatever reason they never feel the need to come to where I live.
    Want to house swap for a month?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They have a printout of the electoral register. If you live on a street with a lot of voters, your chances of being canvassed are much higher because they get a better return on their time. If you live somewhere with fewer voters (eg lots of rented houses), then they won't bother.

I live somewhere that's well established with probably a slightly older demographic than a lot of areas close by. A lot of the residents are long term and I don't think it's somewhere that you'd have a huge amount of rentals. As a result I reckon that they know how the voting is going to go in this area so there's little point in trying to change peoples' minds or look for new voters. I understand the logic, but it does mean that people in this area have little or no chance of making their views known to candidates.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

We've had three canvassers to the door so far, I was out for two of them but the family told me. Solidarity tried selling me on repeal and water charges, but had no response to "That's great, but it's a national issue. What local stuff has happened?".

Honestly I've a number one, and after that my vote may as well be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for all the choice we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sflynn6

I've recently been following developments and going to meetings about the greenway in dublin 15 and from the meetings I was at both Matt waine and Roderic O'Gorman spoke very well and were very informed about the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I live somewhere that's well established with probably a slightly older demographic than a lot of areas close by. A lot of the residents are long term and I don't think it's somewhere that you'd have a huge amount of rentals. As a result I reckon that they know how the voting is going to go in this area so there's little point in trying to change peoples' minds or look for new voters. I understand the logic, but it does mean that people in this area have little or no chance of making their views known to candidates.

What time do you usually get home from work at? Or do you be out early evening?

It's very weird that you don't get at least one party each election.

• Advertisement

Had Damien Bissett (SF) around the other day, well he was delivering his own leaflets but I was in the garden so asked him if he minded me sounding off on him. They are building more social housing in my estate atm and I asked him his views on it, he rambled on a bit and launched into how people in Direct Provision should all be housed in ghost estates down the country so people who have links to an area can be given council houses in the area they already live. Was a bit:confused::eek: at that one.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    What time do you usually get home from work at? Or do you be out early evening?

It's very weird that you don't get at least one party each election.

I'm home around 5.30 every day and I work from home regularly, so it's not like I'm never around.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Is Mags Murray running? She's on the list of candidates but haven't seen a single poster up, just Howard O'Mahony as far as the eye can see. Voting O'Gorman anyway, just curious.

Is Mags Murray running? She's on the list of candidates but haven't seen a single poster up, just Howard O'Mahony as far as the eye can see. Voting O'Gorman anyway, just curious.

Maybe she's targeting a different part of the LEA?

I've updated the list on the first page of this thread with a few additional candidates. These are taken from the RTE News website and I think it should be the final list for all LEAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Maybe she's targeting a different part of the LEA?

I've updated the list on the first page of this thread with a few additional candidates. These are taken from the RTE News website and I think it should be the final list for all LEAs.

I haven't seen any though. FG and SF have clearly split Castleknock between their two candidates (and a similar division too I think), Castleknock village to the park, and then Carpenterstown area roughly. O'Mahony is all over both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Is Mags Murray running? .

And what party she has decided to grace with her presence this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When they what? In 15 years in D15 I've had a grand total of one candidate ever calling to my door - David Hall when he stood in the bye-election in 2014. And at most I've maybe only ever had 2 or 3 people canvassing on behalf of candidates call. I don't know where these people canvass, but for whatever reason they never feel the need to come to where I live.

I'm the same. I've yet to have one come to my door in 14 years living in Ongar. I've gotten the odd flyer in my door but they seem to be delivered during normal working hours when I'm not at home. They are missing a large cohort of tax paying working voters if they only knock on doors between 9-5.....or maybe they want to avoid people who may quiz how their taxes are being spent??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I see that basket case Gemma O'Doherty was posting on SM from the butchers in Littlepace yeaterday, saying she had "great support". Just her and the sole staff member in the photo.

Can I suggest it was a little naive of said butchers to participate.

That's the sort of thing could lose you business. Although I suppose the same could be said regardless of whichever politician you end up being photographed with, but I'd say some would have a more polarising effect than others.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because there are reports of her being aggressive in other retailers in Dublin, but I'll be asking them next time I'm in if they knew what she was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

Hurrache wrote: »
    Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart seems to have a real dearth of good election candidates. Mary McCamley would be the only one I'd vote for there, it's pretty much far lefties there.

There's also one independent there: me :-)

DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    There's also one independent there: me :-)

According to the list on the first page of this thread there are actually 4 independents in that particular LEA.

If you are indeed one of them, or even if you have an affiliation with a candidate, the forum rules dictate that you must disclose that fact. Obviously you're very welcome to participate in the discussion here, but no canvassing please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I see that basket case Gemma O'Doherty was posting on SM from the butchers in Littlepace yeaterday, saying she had "great support". Just her and the sole staff member in the photo.

Can I suggest it was a little naive of said butchers to participate.
    She has got great support, she has a huge following in Dublin

Define huge. In the first Irish Times poll that was released last week she didn't feature in the top 7 candidates (that was all they published), the lowest of whom had 7%. So we know that she has at the very most 7%, giving her the benefit of the doubt that she only missed out by a fraction. I'd hardly call that a huge following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She doesn't, no matter how much you claim she does across forums

• Advertisement

Evidence for that statement please?

No its fine, I know from the after hours thread on her that you have none.

In the first poll of the campaign, Gemma is in the margin of error, no doubt she will blame the mainstream media conspiracy against her for that.

But then she will be well down in the also-rans come the election count and she has already begun getting her excuses in early, accusing the Guards and County returning officers of not securing and/or tampering with ballot boxes within secure areas. Not only does that sound daft, it makes people like me who have worked as election officials white hot with anger that she gets to randomly say that crap with impunity. I suspect I could show her the lengths that are gone to to secure the integrity of the poll in this country and she still would throw her dangerous irresponsible baseless accusations around. She's a mad lying wagon and I do hope this campaign ends up costing her a lot of personal money.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

There's some shocking placement of posters along the Ongar Rd and Hartstown Link Rd, low down and impinging right into the narrow walking spaces. Have reported some on https://fixmystreet.ie/ but the complete lack of engagement from some candidates on their posters is disgusting. Doesn't bode well for the kind of commitment they'd have to the Community their asking to represent :/

My other half was tagging the worst offenders on Twitter in photos of the ones that make the walk to Clonsilla train station into an assault course, and not only was there no acknowledgement of the issue they've created and no removal of the dangerous posters, they instead reported his tweets and he's ended up losing his Twitter account. In fairness, he was relentless about it as they're dangerous, so I can see why in technical terms he's landed with ToS ban. But I'm furious and disgusted that a political party would ignore their clear breaching of the Litter legislation and leave blatant hazards in place and instead of getting off their arses to make the footpaths usable for us, they're hiding behind social media ToS to erase the complaints, resulting in a constituent losing access to the service.

Solidarity my arse. Most other parties and candidates are not only welcoming contact, but are reaching out asking for feedback on their postering, from constituents and footpath users. That whole alphabetti spaghetti lot are so far down their rabbit hole of sticking it to The Man and being anti-establishment that they've reached the low of villanising even a legitimate voice of dissension.

I'm raging .. is it obvious? XD Posters still there this morning, furious that Council resources from FixMyStreet have to be diverted to cleaning up after them.

According to the list on the first page of this thread there are actually 4 independents in that particular LEA.

If you are indeed one of them, or even if you have an affiliation with a candidate, the forum rules dictate that you must disclose that fact. Obviously you're very welcome to participate in the discussion here, but no canvassing please.

I am indeed one of the candidates. My name is Marius Marosan. As you could see, I'm not canvasing, but I'm interested in people's opinion. Unfortunately due to some personal circumstances I'm way behind with my campaign, but I will be knocking on doors soon. :-)

KGLady wrote: »
    There's some shocking placement of posters along the Ongar Rd and Hartstown Link Rd, low down and impinging right into the narrow walking spaces. Have reported some on https://fixmystreet.ie/ but the complete lack of engagement from some candidates on their posters is disgusting. Doesn't bode well for the kind of commitment they'd have to the Community their asking to represent :/

My other half was tagging the worst offenders on Twitter in photos of the ones that make the walk to Clonsilla train station into an assault course, and not only was there no acknowledgement of the issue they've created and no removal of the dangerous posters, they instead reported his tweets and he's ended up losing his Twitter account. In fairness, he was relentless about it as they're dangerous, so I can see why in technical terms he's landed with ToS ban. But I'm furious and disgusted that a political party would ignore their clear breaching of the Litter legislation and leave blatant hazards in place and instead of getting off their arses to make the footpaths usable for us, they're hiding behind social media ToS to erase the complaints, resulting in a constituent losing access to the service.

Solidarity my arse. Most other parties and candidates are not only welcoming contact, but are reaching out asking for feedback on their postering, from constituents and footpath users. That whole alphabetti spaghetti lot are so far down their rabbit hole of sticking it to The Man and being anti-establishment that they've reached the low of villanising even a legitimate voice of dissension.

I'm raging .. is it obvious? XD Posters still there this morning, furious that Council resources from FixMyStreet have to be diverted to cleaning up after them.

If you don't mind me asking - it's my first time I'm running for elections, so I have no funds for posters. On voter's perspective, how important are the posters? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The vast majority of people won't even know your name without them. You may pick up a few votes on the doors from people who hate posters but it won't counteract the invisibility factor

Thank you for your answer.

If you don't mind me asking - it's my first time I'm running for elections, so I have no funds for posters. On voter's perspective, how important are the posters? Thanks!

Personally I think they're an absolute blight and I'd like to ban them. Looking at someone's face plastered all over every available lamppost isn't going to convince me to vote for them. However a couple of times recently I've heard people who study elections and how people vote stating that, particularly in local elections, posters are hugely important for independent candidates like yourself as it's their best way to get name and brand recognition. I suppose the one problem with posters is that they tell you nothing about what the candidate stands for. I may see an independent candidate's face on posters, but unless I happen to receive some of their literature in the door or on the street I have absolutely no idea whether they're someone who shares similar values and I would want to vote for them, or if they're the polar opposite and I wouldn't vote for them if they were the only candidate.

Personally I think they're an absolute blight and I'd like to ban them. Looking at someone's face plastered all over every available lamppost isn't going to convince me to vote for them. However a couple of times recently I've heard people who study elections and how people vote stating that, particularly in local elections, posters are hugely important for independent candidates like yourself as it's their best way to get name and brand recognition. I suppose the one problem with posters is that they tell you nothing about what the candidate stands for. I may see an independent candidate's face on posters, but unless I happen to receive some of their literature in the door or on the street I have absolutely no idea whether they're someone who shares similar values and I would want to vote for them, or if they're the polar opposite and I wouldn't vote for them if they were the only candidate.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately I cannot afford posters and as you said, the lampposts are filled top to bottom with posters. I noticed that Irish people started contacting me on my page, sending me questions. I know it's a drop in the sea, but it's a start. I hope canvasing will bring some votes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately I cannot afford posters and as you said, the lampposts are filled top to bottom with posters. I noticed that Irish people started contacting me on my page, sending me questions. I know it's a drop in the sea, but it's a start. I hope canvasing will bring some votes :-)

In how many Local Election Areas, have you declared yourself as a Canidate?

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    In how many Local Election Areas, have you declared yourself as a Canidate?

This and why Blanchardstown Mulhuddart?

Advertisement