Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D15 Local Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

One of the candidates near me has also organised a clean up of the park this morning. The park's been covered in litter for years.

Well that clean up this morning will do for another five years until the next local council elections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've not heard of many of these candidates before. The ones I have heard of only a handful have been active in local issues. I don't think any have been effective in getting things done but a couple are at least trying over the past few years.

beauf wrote: »
    I've not heard of many of these candidates before. The ones I have heard of only a handful have been active in local issues. I don't think any have been effective in getting things done but a couple are at least trying over the past few years.

Just vote for the best looking one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

One of the candidates near me has also organised a clean up of the park this morning. The park's been covered in litter for years.

Which park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

quickbeam wrote: »
    Which park?

Castlecurragh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Which candidate?

As far as I can tell, only two sitting councillors have decided to run in the Mulhuddart LEA the rest have decided to jump ship to the new Ongar LEA, which is disappointing. I've actually no idea who any of the new candidates are, bar John Burchaell who is running for Solidarity and that's only through the repeal campaign, again, I've not heard of him doing anything in the local community before that. Mary McCamley and Lorna Nolan have never darkened my door nor have I heard of them involved in any community events over the past couple of years.

It's going to be hard to decide who to vote for.

JK Onwumereh (FF)
    He has the best poster so I'm voting for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Which candidate?

The Aontas one. One of her supporters was knocking on doors last night and told me about it. No idea if it went ahead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mary McCamley and Lorna Nolan have never darkened my door nor have I heard of them involved in any community events over the past couple of years.

I can confirm Mary McCamley has been very supportive of the community group I'm involved in but other than that I wouldn't know her as my area has just moved in to Mulhuddart Blanchardstown. I'd find it a lot easier to vote in Castleknock as I have done for 15 years living here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

JK Onwumereh (FF)
    He has the best poster so I'm voting for him

@Charles Ingles - If you've nothing useful to add to this thread, please don't post here any more. There are plenty of humour threads on boards that might suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I have to remark that Mary McCamley has been quite active up in Hollywoodrath, for some time now. I wouldn’t be a labour head by any stretch of the imagination (I’ve never given a #1 to Labour anyway), but she has impressed me with the local work done - she made the effort some time ago in 2018 to knock the doors and talk to people, and follow up not with fancy leaflets but with two sided A4 letters with info on what she’s doing / what’s going on in the area. Not running public meetings on things that have nothing to do with the council (like FGs cyber security candidate). I met the FF candidate on the door also and basically he told me he was running, didn’t ask if there were any issues on my mind or try to get a conversation going, just here I am, thanks for your time.

Anyway, on the basis that you vote in a local based on who will help look after the area I found her approach impressive. Bollards, traffic calming and street lights concern me a lot more than all the extraneous issues brought into a council election. There’s too many parachute candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

The Aontas one. One of her supporters was knocking on doors last night and told me about it. No idea if it went ahead though.

Priceless.

I don't suppose it involved the residents getting off their holes to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Roderic o gorman is getting my vote. he is very active in the area. he has done mutliple local clean ups

Roderic o gorman is getting my vote. he is very active in the area. he has done mutliple local clean ups

This is true.

He is attached to the Greens though who themselves have done very little.
    They had a lot of potential but really dropped the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

In terms of council elections though and Fingal he's one of the most active guys there.

Certainly is. No Argument there.

And as a result he really shows up how deficient the majority of all the others are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi. Is Clonsilla now in the Ongar LEA?, is there a link to the complete list of candidates please? I'm a little lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Hi. Is Clonsilla now in the Ongar LEA?, is there a link to the complete list of candidates please? I'm a little lost!

Parts of Clonsilla are in the Ongar LEA, there's a link somewhere on this thread to say where you are, and there's a list of candidates on the front page.

Parts of Clonsilla are in the Ongar LEA, there's a link somewhere on this thread to say where you are, and there's a list of candidates on the front page.

Sorry I did see the link but it requires a log in. I was unsure if the list on the front page was complete

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sorry I did see the link but it requires a log in. I was unsure if the list on the front page was complete

You don't need a log in if you do this:
    miamee wrote: »
    Edit: I got to it from this page, scroll down to Online Viewer and click the link there to open the map.

miamee wrote: »
    You don't need a log in if you do this:

That’s perfect thank you. Ongar it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was over in Charlestown visiting a friend tonight. Didn't realise the new Blanchardstown Mulhuddart goes as far as there. Makes zero sense, Charlestown is Finglas!!

Yeah, Meakstown it's down as, a bit crazy alright considering it will remain where it was for General Elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Joan Burton at Hansfield train station this morning championing local Labour candidate Elaine Dooley. One disgruntled commuter was chewing the ear off the poor candidate meaning she couldn't greet or promote herself to the dozens of other commuters that were arriving for the train at the same time!

Meet Paul Donnelly During the week.
    I wouldn't be a sinn fein voter but I will definitely give him my number one vote.
    He seems very genuine and very involved in the community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

Does anyone have a list of questions they use for sounding out candidates when they come knocking?

One of the councils functions is rezoning and local area planning which is always a big topic on this forum, so it could be worth asking their opinion on local builds/planning, and if they made submissions or observations regarding them.

Littering/fly-tipping/dog-fouling are all council issues, you could ask their views on improvements required or their suggested investments to combat it in your area.

How do you think integration between the 200 or so nationalities in Fingal is doing? What would you suggest to improve it? That's one of my questions, y'all can use it :)

Other issues the council may deal with (I stand corrected if wrong); road markings, possibly speed limits in your area, youth facilities (or lack thereof), recycling facilities.

If you're stuck for something to ask any candidates you may meet, think of something within a 5-10 mile (8-16km) radius of your house/apartment/home, and just think of something off the top of your head that has pissed you off in recent times in your locality that you think should be done better, and engage them in that conversation.

Remember that you're electing someone for your direct locality. Not EU policy, not Brexit, not same sex marriage views, not 8th amendment views, your direct area.

You're electing someone to the Council that makes decisions based on their democratic majority as Councillors, remember the "brown paper bag" thing from years ago. They were all elected by local people too. Hopefully our generation are wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Councillors really only have 3 roles. Making a budget every year, making a county development plan (zoning and some new infrastructure decisions) every 6 years and passing the odd bye-law for things like parking, open spaces, beaches and such.

Its no harm to get a sympathetic Councillor on your side for any local issue thats grinding your gears, but you'd be far better off contacting the Council departments directly about most things.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Does anyone have a list of questions they use for sounding out candidates when they come knocking?

When they what? In 15 years in D15 I've had a grand total of one candidate ever calling to my door - David Hall when he stood in the bye-election in 2014. And at most I've maybe only ever had 2 or 3 people canvassing on behalf of candidates call. I don't know where these people canvass, but for whatever reason they never feel the need to come to where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zaph wrote: »
    When they what? In 15 years in D15 I've had a grand total of one candidate ever calling to my door - David Hall when he stood in the bye-election in 2014. And at most I've maybe only ever had 2 or 3 people canvassing on behalf of candidates call. I don't know where these people canvass, but for whatever reason they never feel the need to come to where I live.

They have a printout of the electoral register. If you live on a street with a lot of voters, your chances of being canvassed are much higher because they get a better return on their time. If you live somewhere with fewer voters (eg lots of rented houses), then they won't bother.

Advertisement