Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D15 Local Election Thread

Options
  • 14-04-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is OK mods. I know we usually have election threads?

With about six weeks to go I'm feeling very frustrated at the stuff that's coming in the door and I'm seeing on poles around the place. For local elections I always voted locally, for the people who did the best for our area, irrespective of party.

But with the new Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart local electoral area I haven't got a clue, haven't recognised a single name. Is there any sitting Councillor running in this area? I used to be in Castleknock lea but it's all changed now. I know boundaries move in line with population but I can't see anyone with a track record that has declared so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Adrian Kavanagh's site is usually good for this sort of thing. Here are all the candidates currently listed on the site for Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart:

Punam Rane (FG)
    JK Onwumereh (FF)
    Cllr. Mary McCamley (Lab)
    Breda Hanaphy (SF)
    Damien Bissett (SF)
    Sinead Moore (Aontú)
    Marius Marosan (Ind)
    John Burtchaell (Solidarity)
    Freddie Cooper (FF)
    Robert Loughlin (Ind)
    Lorna Nolan (Ind)
    Aran Smeallie (Ind)

Here are the candidates declared so far for the other LEAs in D15.

Ongar

Jagannadha R Muttumula (FG)
    Cllr. Kieran Dennison (FG)
    Tom Kitt (FF)
    Elaine Dooley (Lab)
    Cllr. Paul Donnelly (SF)
    Marian Buckley (SF)
    Cllr. Matt Waine (Solidarity)
    Aengus O’Maolain (Soc Dem)
    Raghu Narayanam (Ind)
    Daniel Whooley (Green)
    Tania Doyle (Ind)
    Ramesh Racherla (Ind)
    Gerard Sheehan (Aontú)

Castleknock

Cllr. Ted Leddy (FG)
    Emer Currie (FG)
    Cllr. Howard Mahony (FF)
    Cllr. Mags Murray (FF)
    John Walsh (Lab)
    Cllr. Natalie Treacy (SF)
    Ryan Fitzgerald (SF)
    Cllr. Sandra Kavanagh (Solidarity)
    Cllr. Roderic O’Gorman (Green)
    Edward McManus (Aontú)
    Kevin Mullally (Ind)

I'm not sure when the deadline is for candidates to register, so these lists may or may not be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nominations for the local elections don't close until 27th April, after that you'll have four weeks before the poll to review the runners and riders which will be available online and from the Council.

I'm pretty sure the candidates will let you know and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks, that's really helpful. Hope we get some more candidates, 5 seats out of those 8 in Blanchardstown Mulhuddart would be depressing. Interesting that we have no Green candidate so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Looks like all our sitting councillors have been moved to the new Ongar electoral area.

Had John Burtchaell of Solidarity at the door on Saturday along with Freddie Cooper who now seems to be running with FF, was a bit surprised as I'd never heard of him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Zaph wrote: »
    Adrian Kavanagh's site is usually good for this sort of thing. Here are all the candidates currently listed on the site for Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart:

Punam Rane (FG)
    JK Onwumereh (FF)
    Cllr. Mary McCamley (Lab)
    Breda Hanaphy (SF)
    Damien Bissett (SF)
    Sinead Moore (Aontú)
    Marius Marosan (Ind)
    John Burtchaell (Solidarity)

Here are the candidates declared so far for the other LEAs in D15.

Ongar

Jagannadha R Muttumula (FG)
    Cllr. Kieran Dennison (FG)
    Tom Kitt (FF)
    Elaine Dooley (Lab)
    Cllr. Paul Donnelly (SF)
    Marian Buckley (SF)
    Cllr. Matt Waine (Solidarity)
    Aengus O’Maol (Soc Dem)
    Raghu Narayanam (Ind)
    Daniel Whooley (Green)

Castleknock

Cllr. Ted Leddy (FG)
    Emer Currie (FG)
    Cllr. Howard Mahony (FF)
    Cllr. Mags Murray (FF)
    John Walsh (Lab)
    Cllr. Natalie Treacy (SF)
    Ryan Fitzgerald (SF)
    Cllr. Sandra Kavanagh (Solidarity)
    Cllr. Roderic O’Gorman (Green)

I'm not sure when the deadline is for candidates to register, so these lists may or may not be complete.

Edward McManus (Aontú) formerly FF running in Castleknock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Tania Doyle (Independent)

Ongar

No David McGuinness formerly of FF? Had hoped he'd run as an independent, I've had a fair bit of dealing with him over the years and while I wouldn't be a fan of his (former) Party, I'd always give him a decent preference because he was so helpful.

I've updated the lists above with the extra names, if anyone has details of further candidates the lists can be further updated.

I've also updated the thread title so that we can have all discussion about the local elections here, and also the OP to include the LEA that was removed from the thread title.

Caranica wrote: »
    No John McGuinness formerly of FF? Had hoped he'd run as an independent, I've had a fair bit of dealing with him over the years and while I wouldn't be a fan of his (former) Party, I'd always give him a decent preference because he was so helpful.

It's a shame he hasn't declared yet because he is one person who genuinely seems to have the interests of his constituents at heart, but there's still a bit of time for him to throw his hat into the ring. I felt he was treated very shoddily by FF before the last general election, but hopefully that won't put him off standing for election again.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

It's a shame he hasn't declared yet because he is one person who genuinely seems to have the interests of his constituents at heart, but there's still a bit of time for him to throw his hat into the ring. I felt he was treated very shoddily by FF before the last general election, but hopefully that won't put him off standing for election again.

David I presume?

He did have 2 go’s at a GE with FF

• Advertisement

Remind me wrote: »
    David I presume?

He did have 2 go’s at a GE with FF

Ah yes, how could I forget? Apologies, will edit post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

http://fingalcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59538e1108ab46ecbff4f9166b69d621

Link to the map of the electoral areas of Fingal, for anyone who's uncertain of where they are after the changes.

KGLady wrote: »
    http://fingalcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59538e1108ab46ecbff4f9166b69d621

Link to the map of the electoral areas of Fingal, for anyone who's uncertain of where they are after the changes.

Looks like you need some sort of login for that.

David has a new job within the ddletb and his wife has just given birth to their second child so not sure if he will run again. But could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

No Aontu candidate for Ongar?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Looks like you need some sort of login for that.

That's a shame it's not working because I'm not entirely sure which area I fall into at the moment. If I find something, I'll post it up here. Great idea for a thread.

Caranica, you mentioned that you'd seen posters already but they aren't supposed to be up for another week (30 days before the election) as far as I know. Some eager beavers out there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Here is the Fingal online viewer: http://fingalcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59538e1108ab46ecbff4f9166b69d621

Edit: I got to it from this page, scroll down to Online Viewer and click the link there to open the map.

miamee wrote: »
    Caranica, you mentioned that you'd seen posters already but they aren't supposed to be up for another week (30 days before the election) as far as I know. Some eager beavers out there?

Public meeting posters rather than election posters but they're practically the same thing as they're about getting your face and name out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

still requesting login details?

Thank the flying spaghetti monster.

• Advertisement

still requesting login details?

That's odd, I got to it from this page, scroll down to Online Viewer and click the link there to open the map.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Thank the flying spaghetti monster.

I just had to look up who Aontú actually are. Peadar Toibíns pro-republican, anti-abortion mob that he set up after he was kicked out of SF. Either on its own is enough for me to be thankful that they're not fielding a candidate.

That's odd, I got to it from this page, scroll down to Online Viewer and click the link there to open the map.

That works! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

Thanks for that KGLady, would have assumed I'd be at the St Philip school in Mountview as I've been for donkeys years. Apparently I'm at St Ciarans on the Hartstown road. :confused:

My polling station (Blanch VEC) hasn't changed but it's in a different LEA From the one I'm voting in by the look of that map

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Thanks for that KGLady, would have assumed I'd be at the St Philip school in Mountview as I've been for donkeys years. Apparently I'm at St Ciarans on the Hartstown road. :confused:

For many years I have always voted in St Ciaran's, Hartstown for Local Elections and at St Philip's N.S, Mountview for General Elections. Now I'll be voting in St Mochtas, Clonsilla, for the forthcoming Locals.
    It just the way the local election boundaries work out as they are sub divisions within the General Election Constituency.

https://www.facebook.com/CllrMcGuinness/posts/2231808753803991

David McGuinness not seeking re-election this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

LorelaiG wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/CllrMcGuinness/posts/2231808753803991

David McGuinness not seeking re-election this year.

It means there is no one except Mary MCCamley who is running of note. I don't know any of the other candidates running in Mulhuddart LEA.

There's a lot of strategic movement of candidates and understandably so. Paul Donnelly for example moving to the Ongar LEA is a good move to get a better middle class base if that's ok to say. It would be a springboard to a better GE outing next time - but Coppinger is his biggest obstacle.

It amazes me as to how many people had an opportunity to run in Mulhuddart but never chose to. Its not a full time wage but its something like 17K - not bad and would have expected a better lineup to choose from.

I have the same concerns, don't know why Kieran Dennison moved from Mulhuddart this time?

Posters up all over the place this morning. New candidates either not aware or don't care about the minimum height of bottom corner being 2.3m off the ground. Hope they can afford the litter fines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Caranica wrote: »
    I have the same concerns, don't know why Kieran Dennison moved from Mulhuddart this time?

Posters up all over the place this morning. New candidates either not aware or don't care about the minimum height of bottom corner being 2.3m off the ground. Hope they can afford the litter fines!

Doubtful fines will be issued.

As i'm in Clonee I have to think about who I'll vote for. Tanya Doyle has been very active, Kieran Dennison is actually a top fella in person. Donnelly in fairness is active. Decisions, decisions.

Advertisement