Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

threeball wrote: »
    Newstalk will never drop him as he's always great for a controversial quote. He always has something ridiculous to say like the time he lost his car after coming out of coppers.

That story only slightly topped the guff that David Brady was going on about before the AI Semi Final 2017 between Dublin and Tyrone.
    He was going on about how he 'really believed' Tyrone would beat Dublin.
    So much so, I started to wonder did he have an inside track or inside knowledge!
    He was saying how Con O'Callaghan could be got at because he is inexperienced.

Then Con scored a goal in 3 minutes.
    Finished with 1-2 at the end of the game.

Brady says at the end of the game 'Ah sure you have to have a bit of craic with these things' :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Brady is the weakest pundit in the national media. No insight, does not understand the modern game or tactics, says the daftest things, the guy is a complete moron. It’s amazing that he still gets work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Is it too soon to start mayo for Sam 2020.oh mayo may ye never change.delusions of grandeur from them the whole time with only a league to show.I would have liked to see them finally win an all Ireland one time not now.chockers and bottlers
    Y

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Love to see Mayo draw Louth or Wicklow now just to see the GAA **** themselves about how much money they'll lose.

Mayo always bring huge numbers with them wherever they play. Look at the new York match this year or the game below in the gaelic grounds in limerick.

Granted, both of them county's wouldn't gave the biggest grounds in the world, but a long run through the qualifiers by mayo would be music to the top brass' ears....

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Too much mouthing in the media. Maughan was at it as well. Practically wrote Anthony Cunningham's team talk for him.

I wouldn't lump Maughan in with that gobdaw Brady. He gave a good interview to that Mayo GAA podcast which focused on how he got started in management and made a prediction. Nothing like David and his look at me schtick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Love to see Mayo draw Louth or Wicklow now just to see the GAA **** themselves about how much money they'll lose.

That seems an odd thing to take pleasure in, but even at that you are missing the point. In that regard I'd say the GAA would be delighted top see Mayo draw Louth or Wicklow as it would protect them and help ensure that they get back on shore for the Super 8s. Mayo drawing Louth or Wicklow would help the GAA make money not lose it. It's not like if they draw Antrim or Waterford instead they'll have to move it to Croke Park to hold the crowd.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Mayo always bring huge numbers with them wherever they play. Look at the new York match this year or the game below in the gaelic grounds in limerick.

Granted, both of them county's wouldn't gave the biggest grounds in the world, but a long run through the qualifiers by mayo would be music to the top brass' ears....

Limerick's ground must be in the top 3 or 4 in the country for capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Limerick's ground must be in the top 3 or 4 in the country for capacity.

I know that - I was referring to the county ground's of Louth and Wicklow - the two teams OldMrBrennan mentioned in his initial post.

threeball wrote: »
    David Brady the Muppet saying if they didn't beat roscommon by 12 to 15pts they were wasting their time. He is right in a way but you can't say that the day before a match as an ex player. Connaught is always a dogfight.

Why can't you say something like that the day before a match as an ex-player? There is surely no sense or merit in the superstitious beliefs of some people that this sort of stuff influences games in this day and age of proper scientific preparation?

If you actually look at the evidence objectively he is right in a lot of ways. Roscommon played in the Super 8 last year and lost Donegal by 7, Tyrone by 18 and Dublin by 14. They exited the 2017 championship to Mayo by 22 points, lost the Connacht Final replay in 2016 by 11 points and subsequently exited to Clare (an NFL Division 3 team at the time).

This shows that at the very top level Roscommon have come up way way short and should be put to the sword by a team which aspires to that same top level. And he is entitled to say what is clearly borne out by reality. There's enough soapy claptrap talked by pundits who you know would be speaking out the other side of his mouth privately on the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stop. Brady is a buffoon. Mayo made the all Ireland in 2017 and were lucky to draw with Roscommon along the way. A 2 point win would've been more than acceptable. Asking for 12+ was moronic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Why can't you say something like that the day before a match as an ex-player? There is surely no sense or merit in the superstitious beliefs of some people that this sort of stuff influences games in this day and age of proper scientific preparation?

If you actually look at the evidence objectively he is right in a lotof ways. Roscommon played in the Super 8 last year and lost Donegal by 7, Tyrone by 18 and Dublin by 14. They exited the 2017 championship to Mayo by 16 points, lost the Connacht Final replay in 2016 by 11;points and subsequently exited to Clare (an NFL Division 3 team at the time).

This shows that at the very top level Roscommon have come up way way short and should be put to the sword by a team which aspires to that same top level. And he is entitled to say what is clearly borne out by reality. There's enough soapy claptrap talked by pundits who you know would be speaking out the other side of his mouth privately on the same topic.

I don't think Brady believes half the things he says if he did people would have more respect for him. He just makes it up as he goes along.
    How come you do not factor in Roscomon's performances in the league?
    I know they got relegated, but they put in some great efforts and can count themselves unlucky getting relegated.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

boggerman1 wrote: »

Is it too soon to start mayo for Sam 2020.

Given that they are still in the 2019 championship I'd say so. They exited the 2016 and 2017 championships at the same stage and were still just one kick of a ball away from beating Dublin both years' finals, so exiting Connacht has not meant much in the past. There is also the reality that they'll be in the draw with many many poor enough teams so are very likely fairly safe until the Super 8s. Chances are you'll see them again before 2020.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Stop. Brady is a buffoon. Mayo made the all Ireland in 2017 and were lucky to draw with Roscommon along the way. A 2 point win would've been more than acceptable. Asking for 12+ was moronic

Hardly luck to draw with Roscommon in 2017. Roscommon led 2-2 to 0-1 after 12 minutes and in the end it was Roscommon who had to make it a draw.

Hardly luck to draw with Roscommon in 2017. Roscommon led 2-2 to 0-1 after 12 minutes and in the end it was Roscommon who had to make it a draw.

After a pox lucky deflected Lee Keegan goal that changed the game? If ros had an ounce of tactical nounce back then they'd have coasted home but the half backs kept attacking and left space

I don't think Brady believes half the things he says if he did people would have more respect for him. He just makes it up as he goes along.
    How come you do not factor in Roscomon's performances in the league?
    I know they got relegated, but they put in some great efforts and can count themselves unlucky getting relegated.

I can't comment on what he believes to be honest so I won't.

Yeah, fair enough point about Roscommon in the League but it is a reality that they have come up short fairly spectacularly in the championship when they have come up short. In 2017 Roscommon had largely the same experience in the League (winning one game in Division 1) and were still filleted in Croke Park by Mayo (22 points) in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

My point is that there is evidence to back up the kind of opinion Brady offered even if it's controversial to actually say it. (And to be fair he probably said it off the cuff without contextualising it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Roscommons issue over last few years has been their inability to play two games in a week. They don't or at least didn't have the conditioning under McStay to carry out such a task.

In 16 they drew Connacht final vs Galway and hammered week later.. Beat well by Clare following week

2017, won Connacht beating Galway by 9 points, drew with Mayo then got walloped the following week.

Last year lost close Connacht final, beat Armagh in hard fought round 4 game and 6-7 days later got ate by Tyrone

After a pox lucky deflected Lee Keegan goal that changed the game? If ros had an ounce of tactical nounce back then they'd have coasted home but the half backs kept attacking and left space

You are making my point for me. Roscommon simply weren't very good but by a freak found themselves with a winning lead, but were duly hauled back and got demolished in the replay. Luckily enough they had all their tactical nous in place a year later when they were soundly beaten in the Connacht Final before being utterly thrashed in the Super 8. Just as well they were not as tactically naïve as in 2017. As it was conceding 4-20 to Dublin from play must constitute some kind of record. In the previous year's final the Mayo defenders did most of the scoring for Dublin the first day as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Jeju

Roscommon are a different animal this year under Cunningham than previously under McHale. They are still learning some horrible mistakes albeit against a top 4 team, but you could see the togetherness and fight tonight. Galway vs Ros will be an epic battle and we could see 3 teams from the West on the S8s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You are making my point for me. Roscommon simply weren't very good but by a freak found themselves with a winning lead, but were duly hauled back and got demolished in the replay. Luckily enough they had all their tactical nous in place a year later when they were soundly beaten in the Connacht Final before being utterly thrashed in the Super 8. Just as well they were not as tactically na as in 2017. As it was conceding 4-20 to Dublin from play must constitute some kind of record. In the previous year's final the Mayo defenders did most of the scoring for Dublin the first day as far as I remember.
    Connacht final last year was level in 69th minute..

Roscommon themselves scored 2-12 from play vs Dublin which tells you about the level of defending in that game. 3 players that started that day started tonight btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The media and pundits keep ignoring the fact that Roscommon are always good for upsetting one of the two others out west.
    Can they win the final though?
    Beating Galway and Mayo hasn't been done since 2001
    And that year the GAA ensured Galway got a second crack at Roscommon in a quarter final, played in Castlebar

• Advertisement

You are making my point for me. Roscommon simply weren't very good but by a freak found themselves with a winning lead, but were duly hauled back and got demolished in the replay. Luckily enough they had all their tactical nous in place a year later when they were soundly beaten in the Connacht Final before being utterly thrashed in the Super 8. Just as well they were not as tactically naïve as in 2017. As it was conceding 4-20 to Dublin from play must constitute some kind of record. In the previous year's final the Mayo defenders did most of the scoring for Dublin the first day as far as I remember.

"By a freak found themselves with lead".

In 2017 Ros had hammered Galway. Galway had beaten Mayo, with Mayo needing a freak lucky goal to make it close. In the last 3 years alone, Mayo have lost to Ros, Galway x3, Kildare and drew with Ros, Derry, Cork and needed a dive to beat Fermanagh. This kind of arrogance, thinking a little team like Roscommon, who in reality are very nearly as good as ye, were freakily ahead is exactly why people are laughing tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As a Dub supporter I am not too surprised with the Rossies beating Mayo.
    Mayo were awful against Dublin in the league and thier scoring was atrocious
    In the Hyde park Dublin were lucky get out of there with the win, terrible conditions..
    Yer man Cox was great that day as well.
    I remember saying to a Rossie supporter if they play like that they could win Connacht.

Anyway fair play to the Rossies.

Neither was I surprised.

Pressure is off Mayo now, they will go on a run that will get them to the Super 8s. Once they hit the semi-final or final, they will have another meltdown.

Rinse and repeat and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Mayo have always been a thorn in our side. Great result for Roscommon.

Let us not forget how easy it is for Dublin to win Leinster however. They should never be considered for the best team ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Its just funny to see Mayo gone again.

Just for the simple fact that in all the previews only Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone get a mention and IMO Galway are better than Mayo and we haven't a hope of beating Dublin.
    All the talk was Mayo were the biggest contenders and it was baseless... their best players are all approaching retirement and their slip at underage is starting to affect their seniors.

Galway and Roscommon yet again... it wont be the occasion Galway and Mayo would have been but since theres so many Mayo people in Galway its embarrassing to play them here as we're basically outnumbered.

All the other matches today show how much of a joke the championship is now.
    Cant even sell out a double header in Portlaois and in all the games where a clear divide existed, they ended up being Turkey shoots.

Thank God they restructured the hurling as that will be the pivotal factor in the football following suit.

sorry but Galway are not better than Mayo

Mayo have always been a thorn in our side. Great result for Roscommon.

Let us not forget how easy it is for Dublin to win Leinster however. They should never be considered for the best team ever.

As opposed to Kerry teams in the 80s who would face Tipp and Limerick teams to get out of Munster who would struggle to field 15? Most years, Dublin have consistently walked the league (where they only play the best), as well as championship. I hate them and the natural advantage they have but it's nigh on impossible to argue against their greatness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

sorry but Galway are not better than Mayo

Based on what evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

As opposed to Kerry teams in the 80s who would face Tipp and Limerick teams to get out of Munster who would struggle to field 15? Most years, Dublin have consistently walked the league (where they only play the best), as well as championship. I hate them and the natural advantage they have but it's nigh on impossible to argue against their greatness

Give any other top 5 side a leinster battle, 2 home games in the super 8s and home in the semis and final. Then give them the same budget as Dublin.

Would the Dubs still win do you think?.We all know the answer.

Tyrone ib the 00s had constant competition with no advantages and brought a new strategy to the game this dublin team now uses. Dublin have given us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

grbear wrote: »
    I wouldn't lump Maughan in with that gobdaw Brady. He gave a good interview to that Mayo GAA podcast which focused on how he got started in management and made a prediction. Nothing like David and his look at me schtick.
    Maughan, who has managed both counties at various times during his lengthy coaching career, and is currently in charge of the Offaly senior footballers, believes that Mayo will be ‘far too physically strong’ for the Rossies next weekend.
    “I know the Mayo lads will be absolutely tuned and there will be no complacency around this game,” he said. “I have no doubt that this Mayo team are far better than this Roscommon team.
    “I think the Roscommon result in Carrick-on-Shannon against Leitrim was a good result for Mayo, because Roscommon might come in with a certain belief that they can go and compete with Mayo. I don’t think they will.
    “I think Mayo are a far, far better proposition now than they were seven or eight months ago.
    “They have had an injection and infusion of so much new talent that they’ll be too strong, physically too strong for them, and that Mayo will win the game comfortably.
    “I would be absolutely shocked if Mayo didn’t come out comfortable winners.”

Even if you believe it he went a bit overboard. I don't think this type of stuff influences results but it certainly doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The media and pundits keep ignoring the fact that Roscommon are always good for upsetting one of the two others out west.
    Can they win the final though?
    Beating Galway and Mayo hasn't been done since 2001
    And that year the GAA ensured Galway got a second crack at Roscommon in a quarter final, played in Castlebar

Hammered them and won the All Ireland. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Give any other top 5 side a leinster battle, 2 home games in the super 8s and home in the semis and final. Then give them the same budget as Dublin.

Would the Dubs still win do you think?.We all know the answer.

Tyrone ib the 00s had constant competition with no advantages and brought a new strategy to the game this dublin team now uses. Dublin have given us nothing.

We all know the answer? How? Dubs beat every team not named Mayo or Kerry by 7 points plus every time they play them and they hammered the living daylights out of the current Mayo version in Feb. No team has ever consistently beat their opposition by near double digits. And I'm not on their side, I think it's unfair but you can't argue against what's been shown on the pitch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement