Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,347 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ros fans dont travel as well to salthill because it's the biggest kip of a ground ever built to get in and out of. Drawn connaght final in 2016 it took 5 hours to get from salthill to Oranmore in traffic. i would have been home from Belfast or cork quicker and i live in the Athlone area, Normally a 45/50 minute drive was 6 hours that day.

:D Nobody can argue with this. It was terrible planning to build a ground there.
    It is even worse if the Galway Races are on around the time of match.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I hate Wexfords teams. Why would I support a team that has Wexford in it?

You'd be putting a bullet into the GAA on the whole with such rubbish.

It would work in time if people had an open mind about it, but there would be a lot of ripping up of season tickets initially.
    The counties as they currently are were artificially created by the Brits anyway.
    Similar to the countries in colonial Africa.
    Irish people could actually decide which counties they will have for a change.
    There are always changes to constituencies for elections, GAA clubs are amalgamated (as already stated) it works.
    This will just be done on a larger scale what would be the difference?

Plus people think the GAA is already dying, people are losing interest.
    Poeple are saying it is noncompetitive unbalanced.
    It is just a question of people being brave enough/open minded. If they are willing to let go of 'tradition'.
    But considering Ireland's history with border changes/partition and even the likes of the ill-feeling over Ballaghaderreen/Andy Moran Roscommon v Mayo - this does not appear likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

I see Mayo county board have issued a statement giving out over the time of their fixture against Down. Seems its too late for the self proclaimed best fans in the country. If thousands of them could go to times square and embarress the whole country singing like gob****es i am sure they can travel to Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

When it came to the last four finals Dublin havent been beating teams out the gate. The gap isnt that big but it suits the othrr counties to use money as an excuse. There is plenty money in counties like Meath Kildare Kerry Tyrone. When these counties are winning the sponsors are quick enough to jump on the bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I see Mayo county board have issued a statement giving out over the time of their fixture against Down. Seems its too late for the self proclaimed best fans in the country. If thousands of them could go to times square and embarress the whole country singing like gob****es i am sure they can travel to Newry

That’s harsh, it’s a four hour trip and you wouldn’t be getting in to the car afterwards until 9pm at the earliest. It’s a crazy time to schedule that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Your idea could work as well.
    If I remember when made it up ages ago - I was trying to keep it in regions and try and get decent populations/strength for each one - sort of like constituencies in elections.

I doubt very much it will happen in my life time.
    There would be another civil war in the country before it happens!

American's are great at that type of thing with thier 'franchises'.
    Tradition does not seem to run so deep with them.

In reality, the price of splitting Dublin will be to amalgamate other counties.

There are only a small number of counties - Mayo, Tyrone, Galway and Kerry - who would benefit from splitting Dublin. Amalgamations are also needed to increase the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think the fact that we're quicker here to criticise supporters than the organisation itself, shows why they'll be scheduling games at all hours in a few years time - look at how the premier league does it, zero regard for supporters. It's Mayo this week, it'll be someone else in a couple of weeks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If people are not going to follow Connacht, Leinster, etc in the Railway Cup, they aren't going to follow Sligo-Leitrim, etc

Local bragging rights is a massive factor in the GAA. And pride in your county. Amalgamations would kill the sport even further. Its a desperate response to the dominance of bigger counties, often promoted by people from those bigger counties who are unwilling to entertain any redistribution of money or resources.

If people are not going to follow Connacht, Leinster, etc in the Railway Cup, they aren't going to follow Sligo-Leitrim, etc

Local bragging rights is a massive factor in the GAA. And pride in your county. Amalgamations would kill the sport even further. Its a desperate response to the dominance of bigger counties, often promoted by people from those bigger counties who are unwilling to entertain any redistribution of money or resources.

The answer to this is simple the railway cup used to be a massive competition second only to the championship itself.
    It used to get huge crowds massive attention.

Then it was moved from St Patrick's day and the Club Championship grew in it's place.
    The railway cup lost it's allure because of that and stopped being marketed as a big deal.
    Traditions can be changed and new allegiances can be fostered - club football has proven this.
    A bit of branding and proper marketing and anything is possible.
    People even buy beers with names created in think-tanks called 'Rockshore' these days!

Also how to account for Ballymun Kickhams , Ballyboden St Endas and Kilmacud Crokes improvement after amalgamation with other clubs?
    I am sure there are others around the country - I just know the Dublin ones.
    It can work at inter-county the mindset is all that needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tis a little harsh. Regardless of their attitude and how they act in the stands, they do travel in their numbers to support their team. 7pm is very late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The answer to this is simple the railway cup used to be a massive competition second only to the championship itself.
    It used to get huge crowds massive attention.

Then it was moved from St Patrick's day and the Club Championship grew in it's place.
    The railway cup lost it's allure because of that and stopped being marketed as a big deal.
    Traditions can be changed and new allegiances can be fostered - club football has proven this.
    A bit of branding and proper marketing and anything is possible.
    People even buy beers with names created in think-tanks called 'Rockshore' these days!

Also how to account for Ballymun Kickhams , Ballyboden St Endas and Kilmacud Crokes improvement after amalgamation with other clubs?
    I am sure there are others around the country - I just know the Dublin ones.
    It can work at inter-county the mindset is all that needs changing.
    pubs even used to be closed on st patricks day
    whats your point?
    things change over time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So, its the counties that historically bring big crowds to games that are not allowed to complain about fixtures, is that right?

The logic there is rather strange to me.

pubs even used to be closed on st patricks day
    whats your point?
    things change over time

That is my point things can change!
    So what is thought of as counties can be changed as well.

So, its the counties that historically bring big crowds to games that are not allowed to complain about fixtures, is that right?

The logic there is rather strange to me.

3 O'Clock or nowhere? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ros fans dont travel as well to salthill because it's the biggest kip of a ground ever built to get in and out of. Drawn connaght final in 2016 it took 5 hours to get from salthill to Oranmore in traffic. i would have been home from Belfast or cork quicker and i live in the Athlone area, Normally a 45/50 minute drive was 6 hours that day.

Its a traffic nightmare alright but it can't be helped if your too stupid to take that into account and plan the trip accordingly. You could have ample parking in Athenry or Oranmore and get a quick train in. You could park on the east side of the city and walk the 30-40 mins to the ground. I wouldn't exactly be referring to anywhere as a kip either given your hovel of a stadium isn't even allowed to hold the replay it's in such bad shape. We won't mention the town itself that it's in

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Its a traffic nightmare alright but it can't be helped if your too stupid to take that into account and plan the trip accordingly. You could have ample parking in Athenry or Oranmore and get a quick train in. You could park on the east side of the city and walk the 30-40 mins to the ground. I wouldn't exactly be referring to anywhere as a kip either given your hovel of a stadium isn't even allowed to hold the replay it's in such bad shape. We won't mention the town itself that it's in

Time will tell whether we will hold the replay or not dont always believe everything you read in the papers.:D
    My kids were both under the age of 5 at the time and were not able to walk 30-40 minutes into the wind tunnel. And if i got the train i still have the walk you gob****e do you not know there is still a good half hours walk. Less of the smart talk calling people stupid when you dont know the situations their in P**ck.

And if Athenry and Oranmore have so much ample parking why didnt Galway build a stadium out around those locations instead of that mess in Salthill.

Time will tell whether we will hold the replay or not dont always believe everything you read in the papers.:D
    My kids were both under the age of 5 at the time and were not able to walk 30-40 minutes into the wind tunnel. And if i got the train i still have the walk you gob****e do you not know there is still a good half hours walk. Less of the smart talk calling people stupid when you dont know the situations their in P**ck.

Exactly Pearse Stadium is not really easily accessible for those who are elderly/disabled/infirm/small children.
    It is a bit of disaster really.
    Plus it is not helped on match day when there is traffic jams everywhere, reckless abandonment of cars blocking footpaths etc.
    Basically the stadium should never have been built there.
    I have relations from Galway, and they said there was opposition to building it there in the first place even way back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ooops, what did they do in Times Sq.? I must have missed the memo to the WHOLE country 'to get embarrassed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Summer wouldnt be the same without Mayo having something to whine about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Exactly Pearse Stadium is not really easily accessible for those who are elderly/disabled/infirm/small children.
    It is a bit of disaster really.
    Plus it is not helped on match day when there is traffic jams everywhere, reckless abandonment of cars blocking footpaths etc.
    Basically the stadium should never have been built there.
    I have relations from Galway, and they said there was opposition to building it there in the first place even way back then.

Pearse Stadium is not a great venue in relation to access and parking but I would have some sympathy for the Galway county board on why it ended up being a provincial ground.
    The original proposal was to develop Tuam but the intransigence of the Tuam stadium trustees left them with little option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

And if Athenry and Oranmore have so much ample parking why didnt Galway build a stadium out around those locations instead of that mess in Salthill.

When you go ironically referring to places as the biggest kip ever built you're open to comments like that. It's a nice stadium. Nobody is disputing it's location is a disaster, it was built in an attempt to bring GAA to the city and because it was land already available. Silly decision but this was pre recession when Galway was promised a huge ring road serving the area and city, one that is needed more than anywhere else in the country and that the Government still hasn't provided

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Edgware wrote: »

When you consider the controversy over Newbridge last year and the outcome probably best had they just left this be.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium is not a great venue in relation to access and parking but I would have some sympathy for the Galway county board on why it ended up being a provincial ground.
    The original proposal was to develop Tuam but the intransigence of the Tuam stadium trustees left them with little option.

Oh right I didn't know that it was Tuam stadium trustee thing.
    I could never understand why Tuam stadium was not the one developed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Edgware wrote: »

In fairness, they have a point. The GAA basically said F U to Mayo supporters and players. One more example of how the hierarchy don't give a sh*t about players and fans. Its all about the money, money, money with the GAA. Its a problem however Dublin will rarely have to worry about with 90% of their championship games played at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

In fairness, they have a point. The GAA basically said F U to Mayo supporters and players. One more example of how the hierarchy don't give a sh*t about players and fans. Its all about the money, money, money with the GAA. Its a problem however Dublin will rarely have to worry about with 90% of their championship games played at home.

But how has this decision anything to do with money? If anything, they are losing money as it means less attendance money will be collected.

If anything, scheduling the match earlier in the day would mean a bigger gate. But then they would be accused of de-valuing the Christy Ring cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

charlie14 wrote: »
    When you consider the controversy over Newbridge last year and the outcome probably best had they just left this be.

Leave what be? In this instance the co board merely expressed their disappointment on behalf of the fans, thats it, its done with now, no big deal.There was no complaints from most Mayo fans over Newbridge last year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How is this about making money? Im genuinely intrigued how you can put that spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The GAA is not always about “money, money, money”.
    The double header in Clones last Sunday, replay of Cavan v Armagh and the qualifier Monaghan v Fermanagh only cost 18 euro entrance.
    That is incredibly good value.
    Credit where credit’s due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's not about money, it's just bad organisation and a general disregard for travelling fans and most of all players. Most fans won't be home til 1 or 2 am. People with young families especially probably won't be able to manage and probably won't travel. It will be even later for the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Oh right I didn't know that it was Tuam stadium trustee thing.
    I could never understand why Tuam stadium was not the one developed.

It wasn't just that. Former hurlers wanted Pierce stadium as the central pitch and got their way. The football crew got shafted as Tuam was left to rot away.

Pierce stadium is like a rabbit hole in regards to traffic and parking - a pure nightmare to get out off. You would be down from CP faster than getting out of Pierce stadium.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement