Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Down v Mayo could be one of the games of the championship. Most GAA fans won't see it on TV and most Mayo fans won't travel because of the time and logistics.

Well done GAA. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

#Clueless

You're massively underestimating Mayo fans. Consistently travel in crazy numbers wherever they go. At the league final it would have been like a funeral home only for them. They will of course travel to Down, by hook or by crook, they'll be there in numbers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

dobman88 wrote: »
    You're massively underestimating Mayo fans. Consistently travel in crazy numbers wherever they go. At the league final it would have been like a funeral home only for them. They will of course travel to Down, by hook or by crook, they'll be there in numbers.

I agree. But the Down match at 7pm is really stretching it for even the hardcore of Mayo support. Certainly it won't suit young children and families with young children.

It would be a 10 hour round trip for most fans, returning during the middle of the night. Hardly suitable for families. And if people choose to go the b&b route, the whole thing could cost them several hundred euro in total. Hardly fair for a second round qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

I agree. But the Down match at 7pm is really stretching it for even the hardcore of Mayo support. Certainly it won't suit young children and families with young children.

It would be a 10 hour round trip for most fans, returning during the middle of the night. Hardly suitable for families. And if people choose to go the b&b route, the whole thing could cost them several hundred euro in total. Hardly fair for a second round qualifier.

On the other side of that you have players asking for more Saturday evening games so they have some bit of a weekend to enjoy. I saw an interview recently by radio Kerry with Paul Murphy and he was saying most players would prefer the Saturday evening game as it helps with recovery for work and you can enjoy your sundays and what not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Down will beat Mayo on their best day imo.

Monaghan Armagh - it do or die for Monaghan. Thought the attitude of key players was better v Fermanagh, but if they go behind they very well might stay there.
    Armagh are a very dangerous outfit, they have a very good forward line with Jamie Clarke, Rian O'Neill, Stefan Campbell and Jemar Hall. With forwards like that you're always in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,674 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

C__MC wrote: »
    Can anyone expand on what Ross Carr said in his column recording a divide in the Monaghan camp

Did McManus score from play in the Fermanagh game? Don't think he did. He scored 2 frees. So 1-8 came from elsewhere. McManus has been lack lustre but here we are in a second round play off.

Anyway...there is no chatter here in Monaghan about a split and it's the first I heard of it. I will research and revert as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Despite Malachy's success, is it not time he moved on anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,674 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Armagh are a very dangerous outfit, they have a very good forward line with Jamie Clarke, Rian O'Neill, Stefan Campbell and Jemar Hall. With forwards like that you're always in with a shout.

Agreed. It's a 50-50 game. How much of a factor Armagh's defeat to Cavan will be remains to be seen. Monaghan grew through the qualifiers last year. A head of steam is a good thing in football. We shall see, I agree with Bonniesituation, Malachy may have run his course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

The GAA is not always about “money, money, money”.
    The double header in Clones last Sunday, replay of Cavan v Armagh and the qualifier Monaghan v Fermanagh only cost 18 euro entrance.
    That is incredibly good value.
    Credit where credit’s due.

25 Euro for Cavan Armagh, and 7 compensated back to you for going to watch Fermanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Down v Mayo could be one of the games of the championship. Not one GAA fan will see it on TV and most Mayo fans won't travel because of the time and logistics.

Well done GAA. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

#Clueless
    You're massively over estimating how good mayo are to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    You're massively over estimating how good mayo are to watch.

Why any neutral would want to watch that over Monaghan Armagh is another question. He's a bit deluded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Martin Breheny had a decent piece in yesterdays Independent about how ticket sales are holding up compared to last year.
    -Ulster Football is well up, with the decision to reverse last years pricehike being credited.
    -Munster Hurling is up but football is down. Overall increase though.
    -Leinster Hurling is down a bit but there should be two good crowds this weekend
    -Connacht Football is down but that's being credited to not having a Galway-Mayo match this year
    -Leinster Football is up very slightly, around 200 but I'm not sure there was a replay last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No replays in Leinster last year. Also, last year both Meath and Kildare were knocked out in the quarter finals meaning the 2018 Leinster semi finals were Dublin v Longford and Carlow v Laois.
    The fact that we've had one more game in Leinster this year with the semi finals having the 3 most populated counties participating in them while 2018 had the three least populated counties competing in the semi finals shows that the attendance in Leinster has been atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Leave what be? In this instance the co board merely expressed their disappointment on behalf of the fans, thats it, its done with now, no big deal.There was no complaints from most Mayo fans over Newbridge last year
    Its only a short run from Dublin

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

grbear wrote: »
    Martin Breheny had a decent piece in yesterdays Independent about how ticket sales are holding up compared to last year.
    -Ulster Football is well up, with the decision to reverse last years pricehike being credited.
    -Munster Hurling is up but football is down. Overall increase though.
    -Leinster Hurling is down a bit but there should be two good crowds this weekend
    -Connacht Football is down but that's being credited to not having a Galway-Mayo match this year
    -Leinster Football is up very slightly, around 200 but I'm not sure there was a replay last year

Competitive local rivalries are a huge ticket seller and this is what the GAA needs to encourage.
    The same would likely apply in Munster where a strong Cork is needed. The GAA cannot afford Cork to go into the wilderness in football. You'd love to see the same approach taken to Cork as was taken to Dublin 15 years ago, to the point where they can really rival Kerry. Unfortunately Cork GAA is saddled with Cork Ui Chaoimh whereas Dublin GAA did not have the same headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,954 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Agreed. It's a 50-50 game. How much of a factor Armagh's defeat to Cavan will be remains to be seen. Monaghan grew through the qualifiers last year. A head of steam is a good thing in football. We shall see, I agree with Bonniesituation, Malachy may have run his course.

This one will be interesting from a Monaghan perspective.
    There has not been that much between themselves and Cavan in recent years, but losing to a neighbour that you have had the Indian sign on for a while always stings. After a defeat like that management and players are usually well primed to go out and give it leather in their next game and get back on track.
    Unfortunately for Monaghan the team they drew, Fermanagh, was the worst possible team to do that with. They do not go out to win games. They go out to frustrate the hell out of the opposition, hoping the opposition on their own lose the game.

I would back the present Monaghan team 9 times out of 10 to beat Armagh, but after losing to Cavan and the sheer frustration of playing Fermanagh I am just a bit doubtful as to where their heads will be in this one.
    If there is one thing that favours Monaghan, it is they are a team that in recent years finishes strongly. Armagh in the first game against Cavan failed to do so when in a winning position, and in the replay when they had reeled Cavan back in faded away when it was there for the taking.

Competitive local rivalries are a huge ticket seller and this is what the GAA needs to encourage.
    The same would likely apply in Munster where a strong Cork is needed. The GAA cannot afford Cork to go into the wilderness in football. You'd love to see the same approach taken to Cork as was taken to Dublin 15 years ago, to the point where they can really rival Kerry. Unfortunately Cork GAA is saddled with Cork Ui Chaoimh whereas Dublin GAA did not have the same headache.

When you look at Cork with the teams they have put out and the defeats they have suffered at times it just defies belief. Cork are a dual county, but more a Hurling county than football with the support levels. Even when Cork in football were doing well they never had any great support. You would wonder if this has just seeped through to the players in that they don`t feel they get the appreciation the hurlers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

charlie14 wrote: »
    This one will be interesting from a Monaghan perspective.
    There has not been that much between themselves and Cavan in recent years, but losing to a neighbour that you have had the Indian sign on for a while always stings. After a defeat like that management and players are usually well primed to go out and give it leather in their next game and get back on track.
    Unfortunately for Monaghan the team they drew, Fermanagh, was the worst possible team to do that with. They do not go out to win games. They go out to frustrate the hell out of the opposition, hoping the opposition on their own lose the game.

I would back the present Monaghan team 9 times out of 10 to beat Armagh, but after losing to Cavan and the sheer frustration of playing Fermanagh I am just a bit doubtful as to where their heads will be in this one.
    If there is one thing that favours Monaghan, it is they are a team that in recent years finishes strongly. Armagh in the first game against Cavan failed to do so when in a winning position, and in the replay when they had reeled Cavan back in faded away when it was there for the taking.

I'd say Monaghan are sick of Ulster opposition, that's 3 games in a row where they'll have played a county they border. They haven't been at the races at all this year but they've still got alot of quality players through the team, I think they can still come good. Armagh is another sticky enough test and they have a few good forwards, but they'll not be near as negative as Fermanagh and will go to play a bit, which should allow Monaghan to do the same. They've some players just back from injury who should benefit from the game time against Fermanagh, like K Hughes and Kearns(fantastic to see him back performing after a heart operation late last year). Could be tight but I'd pick Monaghan to come through at home, and with a bit of momentum they can still be a player through to the Super 8s.

shrewdness wrote: »
    I'd say Monaghan are sick of Ulster opposition, that's 3 games in a row where they'll have played a county they border. They haven't been at the races at all this year but they've still got alot of quality players through the team, I think they can still come good. Armagh is another sticky enough test and they have a few good forwards, but they'll not be near as negative as Fermanagh and will go to play a bit, which should allow Monaghan to do the same. They've some players just back from injury who should benefit from the game time against Fermanagh, like K Hughes and Kearns(fantastic to see him back performing after a heart operation late last year). Could be tight but I'd pick Monaghan to come through at home, and with a bit of momentum they can still be a player through to the Super 8s.

They played 3 division 4 teams to get to last 8 in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did McManus score from play in the Fermanagh game? Don't think he did. He scored 2 frees. So 1-8 came from elsewhere. McManus has been lack lustre but here we are in a second round play off.

Anyway...there is no chatter here in Monaghan about a split and it's the first I heard of it. I will research and revert as they say.

I take your point but it was still very much the backs and midfield chipping in. I have yet to see a Monaghan forward bar mc manus deliver in a big game. I stand by my point, the ship has sailed for this team. Cant see them making much inroads this year

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He scored one from play in the second half and a good one it was. Right in front of me.

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »

Good to see Kearns back. He had a great year for them last year. I`m not overly convinced about their forwards though. Jack McCarron in league has at times shot the lights out, but to date has shown little in the championship. McManus is their major scoring threat but this championship so far has been out of sorts. If they are to beat Armagh he is going to have to be on top form.

Armagh have a few very dangerous forwards themselves with Clarke, ONeill, Campbell and Hall and with young Burns and Grimley around the middle unless Monaghan up their game from their last two appearances they could be in trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Meath v Dublin modern rivalry begins in 1983.

Before the big match next Sunday a few stats

The Meath v Dublin rivalry begins in the late 1940s and early 50s. It dips in the 60s. And is renewed in the 70s with 3 Leinster finals. But its in the early 1980s, it goes up a level and the modern Meath v Dublin rivalry begins when Heffernans Dublin meets Boylans Meath. 1983 is the year zero for the Meath v Dublin rivalry.

Since 1983 there has been 14 Meath v Dublin leinster finals With
    7 Victories for Meath in Meath v Dublin leinster finals
    7 Victories for Dublin in Meath v Dublin leinster finals.
    There has been no draws in Meath v Dublin leinster finals in the last 60 years

Since 1983 in last 35 years

Meath and Dublin have played 28 times in leinster championship

Dublin have beaten Meath 12 times in last 35 years
    Meath have beaten Dublin 11 times in last 35 years
    There has been 5 Meath v Dublin draws in last 35 years.

It is a very evenly matched modern rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Sonny678 wrote: »

The Meath v Dublin rivalry begins in the late 1940s and early 50s. It dips in the 60s. And is renewed in the 70s with 3 Leinster finals. But its in the early 1980s, it goes up a level and the modern Meath v Dublin rivalry begins when Heffernans Dublin meets Boylans Meath. 1983 is the year zero for the Meath v Dublin rivalry.

Unfortunately Sonny, in the most modern history, it definitely is not evenly matched, painful as it is to admit. If Meath get within 10 points of Dublin next weekend, it is a good achievement. Most importantly is not getting too down hearted by it and preparing for a final qualifier game to get into Super 8s. We've proved in Navan we are a match for anyone.

Anyway, we can still dream and who knows, the Dublin dominance has to end sometime! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭threeball

Sonny678 wrote: »

Why would you even consider 35years ago as modern. The most you could go back is to the oldest player on either of the two teams which is probably cluxton and they have beaten ye up a stick each and every time. That's even if ye got to play them and weren't knocked out by laois or carlow before you got to them.

To say it's an even modern rivalry is pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Doesn't say much for the higher ups in the GAA that we had 10+ games last weekend, one this weekend and 11 next weekend.

Grand if you like reading a lot about Roscommon and Galway but it's not great scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

threeball wrote: »
    Why would you even consider 35years ago as modern. The most you could go back is to the oldest player on either of the two teams which is probably cluxton and they have beaten ye up a stick each and every time. That's even if ye got to play them and weren't knocked out by laois or carlow before you got to them.

To say it's an even modern rivalry is pure fantasy.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sonny678 wrote:

Lol.

grbear wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for the higher ups in the GAA that we had 10+ games last weekend, one this weekend and 11 next weekend.

Grand if you like reading a lot about Roscommon and Galway but it's not great scheduling.
    Surely the Munster final should be this weekend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

charlie14 wrote: »
    When you look at Cork with the teams they have put out and the defeats they have suffered at times it just defies belief. Cork are a dual county, but more a Hurling county than football with the support levels. Even when Cork in football were doing well they never had any great support. You would wonder if this has just seeped through to the players in that they don`t feel they get the appreciation the hurlers do.
    It's very difficult being footballers in a hurling county for a lot of reasons and likewise hurlers in a football county. The number 1 sport always takes attention. But credit to Galway who have really shown how to do it recent years, mind their hurlers got knocked out yesterday and I fancy Roscommon today but the point still stands overall!

Tipperary going down to div 3 was a bigger shock IMO, they had a very promising football team. Just hasn't happened for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sonny678 wrote:

If you are going back that far, you should consider 1979, since it was such a narrow win for Dublin and there were lots of that neath teams backbone in place, for example O'Rourke missed a penno at the end.

I'm not trying to swing your stats

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement