Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Why not stay in a BnB or hotel if you don't want to drive late? Lots of fans stay the night especially for Saturday games.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    It will be even later for the players.

An important point that is just being ignored by everyone
    They will either have to stay overnight or travel back very very late
    Neither is ideal

It's not about money, it's just bad organisation and a general disregard for travelling fans and most of all players. Most fans won't be home til 1 or 2 am. People with young families especially probably won't be able to manage and probably won't travel. It will be even later for the players.
    Sure they're all Fine Gaelers over in Mayo. I'm sure ye have a few quid for a bed for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It's not about money, it's just bad organisation and a general disregard for travelling fans and most of all players. Most fans won't be home til 1 or 2 am. People with young families especially probably won't be able to manage and probably won't travel. It will be even later for the players.

When do you think it should have been fixed for?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

But how has this decision anything to do with money? If anything, they are losing money as it means less attendance money will be collected.

If anything, scheduling the match earlier in the day would mean a bigger gate. But then they would be accused of de-valuing the Christy Ring cup.

I believe the original scheduling may have been to accommodate SKY broadcasting the game. Regards money, as an organisation they need to maximise revenue in their big cashcow, Croke Park, although they are doing a poor job of that, well from football anyways. Making a nice earner on the side from concerts. There is little or no money to be made from qualifier games outside Croker, in fact I think Down county board get the revenue.

Could the Christy Ring Cup not have been switched to the 7pm throw in? Its only about a 2 hour drive from Croker to Down. Its a 4-5 hour journey to Down for Mayo supporters and players some of who won't get back to Mayo until the middle of the night. So as I say, the GAA couldn't care less about the welfare of players and supporters.

• Advertisement

My point was a general point about the GAA.

The organisation is essentially run by people more interested in revenue streams, income and big fat TV details, and not at all interested in the history of the sport and culture of the sport. They may be making money, but you only have to look at how many counties are falling further and further behind to see something isn't right and clearly the money is going to the wrong places.

When you p*ss off supporters, don't be surprised to see the popularity of your sport decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

When do you think it should have been fixed for?

An earlier time, like 5pm certainly would have been a bit better or play it the next day. I know just from my own point of view, travelling and staying the night is not something I can do due to elderly parents, and I know for others there are all sorts of reasons, from work commitments, social events and kids, that they they wont be able to make the trip. But I also don't think anything is going to be done about it now.
    Though I am slightly shocked at the disregard for players, who will have to make the trip back home far later than supporters.

Why not stay in a BnB or hotel if you don't want to drive late? Lots of fans stay the night especially for Saturday games.

Lets say a family of 4.
    Diesel for the car up and down to Down - 60 euro at least
    Tickets in - 60 euro in total at least
    Food/dinners - 100 euro at least

That's 260 for a family.

And then you expect them also to pay for B&B at maybe 50 a head?

You can understand why many of the second best supported county will stay at home.

And who will pay for the Mayo team to stay the night? Another disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Pearse Stadium hasn't turned out nearly as well as originally hoped. There's a bunch of reasons the County Board went with redeveloping it originally but the awkwardness of those running Tuam Stadium made it a lot easier for the board to decide against putting serious money into Tuam.

The location has been a disaster in a lot of ways. The expected revenue from regularly hosting concerts and the like hasn't materialised and the lack of floodlights up to now has stopped them hosting matches on Saturday evenings like most other big GAA teams. I think it's only this year that its cost has been paid off.

Long term (15+ years) I think they'll sell some of the site and move to a different location. I don't think we'll see another redevelopment of Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

An earlier time, like 5pm certainly would have been a bit better or play it the next day. I know just from my own point of view, travelling and staying the night is not something I can do due to elderly parents, and I know for others there are all sorts of reasons, from work commitments, social events and kids, that they they wont be able to make the trip. But I also don't think anything is going to be done about it now.
    Though I am slightly shocked at the disregard for players, who will have to make the trip back home far later than supporters.

The players i have no doubt will stay the night. Most counties stay over when there is any bit of a journey at all. Or else they will tip down the road and head on the beer in Dublin which also happens after county games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

grbear wrote: »
    The expected revenue from regularly hosting concerts and the like hasn't materialised and the lack of floodlights up to now has stopped them hosting matches on Saturday evenings like most other big GAA teams.

I was at a International match there over 10 years ago and they were not running around in the dark.

What happened the floodlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Most people who do this are young lads out for a night in x town or people with relatives near by . Once in a a blue moon would a family do that . Nonsense talk

celt262 wrote: »
    I was at a International match there over 10 years ago and they were not running around in the dark.

What happened the floodlights?

They were only a temporary measure. There was permission in place for permanent floodlights to be installed but the finances weren't there. I'm not sure if they are a priority for the board at this point or if they want to focus on clearing their debts. Either option has it's merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Leave what be? In this instance the co board merely expressed their disappointment on behalf of the fans, thats it, its done with now, no big deal.There was no complaints from most Mayo fans over Newbridge last year

It was all over the print media and social media last year and it is going the same way this year. Last thing a team needs going into a qualifier and it certainly didn`t help last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Could the Christy Ring Cup not have been switched to the 7pm throw in? Its only about a 2 hour drive from Croker to Down. Its a 4-5 hour journey to Down for Mayo supporters and players some of who won't get back to Mayo until the middle of the night. So as I say, the GAA couldn't care less about the welfare of players and supporters.

The arrogance of this. You do realise the hurling is a final, with its time and date already set and plans made by teams? You think a football qualifier should precede everything? As for you suggesting it's all about money, the mind boggles how you came to that conclusion.

Mayo county board statement was pathetic. No mention of Sunday, just a demand that the game was on at 3pm Saturday and to hell with everything else. No consideration that Down teams could be doubling up on physios, S&C coaches, Doctors etc as well as fans. "We Mayo don't play hurling so it shouldn't exist and we pay no regard to it". Doesn't work like that. Lest we forget Down are actually the home team here

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The arrogance of this. You do realise the hurling is a final, with its time and date already set and plans made by teams? You think a football qualifier should precede everything? As for you suggesting it's all about money, the mind boggles how you came to that conclusion.

Mayo county board statement was pathetic. No mention of Sunday, just a demand that the game was on at 3pm Saturday and to hell with everything else. No consideration that Down teams could be doubling up on physios, S&C coaches, Doctors etc as well as fans. "We Mayo don't play hurling so it shouldn't exist and we pay no regard to it". Doesn't work like that. Lest we forget Down are actually the home team here

There is no arrogance to it. All due respect, what will the attendance be at the Christy Ring final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Looking forward to mayo v down.
    Mayo still a short a few key players it seems and they tend to struggle in early qualifier rounds
    Down will play with a purpose and play for that famed red and black Jersey. It could be worth something on the night.

C__MC wrote: »
    Looking forward to mayo v down.
    Mayo still a short a few key players it seems and they tend to struggle in early qualifier rounds
    Down will play with a purpose and play for that famed red and black Jersey. It could be worth something on the night.
    Yeah Down could rattle them. Down blow hot and cold but they are a good outfit on their day Armagh and Down have a decent chance at upsets, very disappointing neither game will be televised. Leinster and Munster finals will be poor spectacles.

In regard to Armagh Monaghan, I reckon Armagh will topple Monaghan. 2 crap draws for Monaghan in qualifiers but thats the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭HBC08

I see Mayo county board have issued a statement giving out over the time of their fixture against Down. Seems its too late for the self proclaimed best fans in the country. If thousands of them could go to times square and embarress the whole country singing like gob****es i am sure they can travel to Newry

And then a few posts down youre whinging that youre kids were too young to go to Galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 67,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeah Down could rattle them. Down blow hot and cold but they are a good outfit on their day Armagh and Down have a decent chance at upsets, very disappointing neither game will be televised. Leinster and Munster finals will be poor spectacles.

In regard to Armagh Monaghan, I reckon Armagh will topple Monaghan. 2 crap draws for Monaghan in qualifiers but thats the way it goes.

Down will beat Mayo on their best day imo.

Monaghan Armagh - it do or die for Monaghan. Thought the attitude of key players was better v Fermanagh, but if they go behind they very well might stay there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Down will beat Mayo on their best day imo.

Monaghan Armagh - it do or die for Monaghan. Thought the attitude of key players was better v Fermanagh, but if they go behind they very well might stay there.

True. I’ve being waiting on them to put a good show on but maybe there’s too many miles on a lot of the boys. I don’t know but it’s a 50/50 game

McCann gets a one game ban, apparently.

So that type of behaviour is not going to end anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

McCann gets a one game ban, apparently.

So that type of behaviour is not going to end anytime soon.

That's a disgrace if it's true. He shouldn't be seen again this championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

That’s harsh, it’s a four hour trip and you wouldn’t be getting in to the car afterwards until 9pm at the earliest. It’s a crazy time to schedule that game.

Mayo had most of their league games at 7pm in Castlebar
    Suddenly now it's an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What time were Saturday league games in Castlebar?

That's a disgrace if it's true. He shouldn't be seen again this championship.

Apologies. Not sure if it is official...the FB post may have been referring to this:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-sight-was-gone-for-a-wee-bit-tiernan-mccann-facing-onematch-ban-for-fishhook-on-stephen-mcmenamin-38201802.html

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Mayo had most of their league games at 7pm in Castlebar
    Suddenly now it's an issue

Only because they were being televised, unlike this game. Our last home league game against Monaghan wasn't live on tv so was on Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, this isn't going to change now so time to move on.

Mayo played Cavan, Roscommon and Galway at 7pm in the league.

Cavan would be furthest away but that's still a much shorter drive than Mayo to Down.

I don't see any issue with Mayo saying their fans would prefer an earlier kickoff. It's not like they've threatened to boycott the fixture or gone over the top crying about their hardships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think armagh will knock Monaghan out.
    Monaghan havent recovered from last August, it was a soul destroying defeat. Those lads would have written history by being the second Monaghan team in 135 years to make a final. Dublin would have won but to be that close for those players who have given everything from 2013 has left a scare. They are totally out of form, if fermanagh had a free taker and scored the penalty, they where out. It was a fortunate victory. Key playere like drew Wylie, k o Connell, mc manus, mc anespie are out of form. Key players from last year. Armagh have the forwards to hurt Monaghan. I don't see Monaghan having the fire power at the other end. I have yet to see mc carthy, mc Carron or another forward on that team deliver in a big game apart from mc manus.

Can anyone expand on what Ross Carr said in his column recording a divide in the Monaghan camp

• Advertisement

Down v Mayo could be one of the games of the championship. Not one GAA fan will see it on TV and most Mayo fans won't travel because of the time and logistics.

Well done GAA. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

#Clueless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement