Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Slattsy wrote: »
    Apt username tbf.

Don't think there's any need for that tbh. I think it's a fair point. Look it wouldnt have changed the result the other night but it's another indicator of how much of a home venue croke park has become for the dubs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Don't think there's any need for that tbh. I think it's a fair point. Look it wouldnt have changed the result the other night but it's another indicator of how much of a home venue croke park has become for the dubs

There was in all fairness

You are looking at it the wrong way. It's about supply and demand

There are a few thousand Parnell pass tickets sold every year.

They give Dublin supporters access to hill tickets, but not the seated areas.

Most other season tickets give access to a seated area available

If there was a demand for hill 16 tickets from other counties they would sell them, there just has not been traditionally with them being seen as the second class seats.

I haven't been to the hill , or haven't been behind the goal at any stadium in years

Any game you go to in any ground around the country has the stands full first.

It's only on big days out that they fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I never buy fully into the theory that you need a strong bench to beat the Dubs. That's conflated somewhat by the fact that a Dublin substitute usually does make an impact off the bench but they generally have the game wrapped up by anyway, and the competition for a starting place is more pronounced than in other counties.

Surely a team can produce the performance of their lives without needing a bench boost to get them over the line? Take say Kerry's most vaunted forwards clicking and catching Dublin on the hop, or Donegal setting up almost perfectly tactically ala 2014.

As unlikely as it is that anyone will catch Dublin this year, surely quality of performance is more imperative than quantity of bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I never buy fully into the theory that you need a strong bench to beat the Dubs. That's conflated somewhat by the fact that a Dublin substitute usually does make an impact off the bench but they generally have the game wrapped up by anyway, and the competition for a starting place is more pronounced than in other counties.

Surely a team can produce the performance of their lives without needing a bench boost to get them over the line? Take say Kerry's most vaunted forwards clicking and catching Dublin on the hop, or Donegal setting up almost perfectly tactically ala 2014.

As unlikely as it is that anyone will catch Dublin this year, surely quality of performance is more imperative than quantity of bench?

True of last year but in 2017 and 16 Connolly and Costello were key subs that came in and Dubs arguably wouldn’t have won without them. How many games has McManamon won off the bench over the years? The bench is an absolutely critical factor now and the teams with the best depth will be the most successful. Ideally you want to finish with a stronger team than you started with but it’s easier said than done.

You are right that they are not invincible and some team will catch them eventually of course. If not this year probably next year, it can’t go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

C__MC wrote: »
    Dublin's possession game is also relentless.
    They have athletes all round who hold the ball so well and take the right option 9 times out of ten. Imagine chasing that down then having to reset for your own kick out where Dublin squeeze the life out of you. They also possess a ridiculous amount of power and speed in Fenton, mannion, mc carthy and mc caffrey. Was at the galway game last year, galway had a reasonable first half but once Dublin clicked especially those guys, it was over after 40 minutes.

Is there really a team out there to hold these? Not to mention what's beside that.

This current Dublin team are great no questioning that however the overall the standard of competition they have isn't great. Just look at the current challengers. Tyrone not a patch on their All Ireland winning teams and well beaten by Donegal at the weekend,Kerry in transition and still learning how to defend,Donegal decent but All Ireland semi final is probably as far as they will go and Mayo who haven't reached a provincial final for the last 4 years and knocked out of the championship last year by Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Why was Hill 16 even open for this match? If Dublin weren't playing it would have been closed off. Blatant favouritism in what we are repeatedly told is a "neutral" venue

Perhaps because Dublin has highest uptake of county passes and season tickets and most of them are for the Hill? Just a wild guess there chief....

And Hill is open for all league games and at least one third of crowd is there.

And.... at the risk of being a crashing bore, most of counties who get Hill tickets for finals come to Dublin clubs looking for stand swaps.

Next ////

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

threeball wrote: »
    Peter Canavan defending him on Matt Cooper yesterday saying it was overblown and he deserves no more than a one game ban. When thats the example from the most prominent Tyrone player ever what chance is there theyll clean up their act. Bit of a twat is wee Peter.

Wasn't he one of the sideline that blaggarded the Tipp young fellas in 21s final a few years ago?

They seem to think this is somehow acceptable and even clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

So Saturday night at 7pm the gaa have now scheduled
    Munster final cork vs Kerry
    And two knockout games
    Monaghan vs Armagh
    Down vs mayo
    3 interesting games in their own way

Only one on TV obviously as they are all at the same time

Sky have decided that NONE of the 4 knockout games are worthy of their time
    http://twitter.com/CahairOKane1/status/1138680646421889025

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

threeball wrote: »
    Peter Canavan defending him on Matt Cooper yesterday saying it was overblown and he deserves no more than a one game ban. When thats the example from the most prominent Tyrone player ever what chance is there theyll clean up their act. Bit of a twat is wee Peter.

Wee Peter's career had its own fair share of controversial incidents, some of which would have put McCann's behavior last Saturday in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Wasn't he one of the sideline that blaggarded the Tipp young fellas in 21s final a few years ago?

They seem to think this is somehow acceptable and even clever.

Yep, explained that away too. Bit of a tosser from all I've seen off him. Good footballer, no morals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

km79 wrote: »
    So Saturday night at 7pm the gaa have now scheduled
    Munster final cork vs Kerry
    And two knockout games
    Monaghan vs Armagh
    Down vs mayo
    3 interesting games in their own way

Only one on TV obviously as they are all at the same time

Sky have decided that NONE of the 4 knockout games are worthy of their time
    http://twitter.com/CahairOKane1/status/1138680646421889025

That is shocking in it's own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

How come TG4 show so little GAA during the championship season?
    They are picking up the u20 hurling in a few weeks. Surely they could be showing some McDonagh games of a Saturday afternoon or maybe a football qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

robbiezero wrote: »
    How come TG4 show so little GAA during the championship season?
    They are picking up the u20 hurling in a few weeks. Surely they could be showing some McDonagh games of a Saturday afternoon or maybe a football qualifier.

no rights to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

no rights to it

pity. surely the GAA could have given them a very reasonable deal on stuff like the McDonagh cup etc given what they do for the GAA in the off-intercounty season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

robbiezero wrote: »
    pity. surely the GAA could have given them a very reasonable deal on stuff like the McDonagh cup etc given what they do for the GAA in the off-intercounty season.

that would require some innovative thinking from the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

I have to say in my opinion since we moved to the Super 8 format, the whole competition regarding scheduling has been a disaster, particularly when it comes to GAA coverage. I mean you couldn’t make it up really, the GAA agrees a long term contract with RTE and Sky and then a year later changes the format but doesn’t change the amount of games on tv. They are living in the past, they need games,games,games on tv . Sky have opted out of showing any qualifier in the 2nd round so they can show a game later in the competition, it’s baffling really , when other sports are dividing up tv packages etc the GAA is going the otherway and hiding the games away. Have to say I hope crowds for the championship are down again this year, its the only way we might see proper, coherent thought from headquarters down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Wee Peter's career had its own fair share of controversial incidents, some of which would have put McCann's behavior last Saturday in the shade.

Canavan was possibly my favourite player ever but yes he was well able for cynicism himself there is no doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Canavan was possibly my favourite player ever but yes he was well able for cynicism himself there is no doubt about it

You dont become Mickey Harte's wee golden boy without being a so and so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Barlett wrote: »
    I have to say in my opinion since we moved to the Super 8 format, the whole competition regarding scheduling has been a disaster, particularly when it comes to GAA coverage. I mean you couldn’t make it up really, the GAA agrees a long term contract with RTE and Sky and then a year later changes the format but doesn’t change the amount of games on tv. They are living in the past, they need games,games,games on tv . Sky have opted out of showing any qualifier in the 2nd round so they can show a game later in the competition, it’s baffling really , when other sports are dividing up tv packages etc the GAA is going the otherway and hiding the games away. Have to say I hope crowds for the championship are down again this year, its the only way we might see proper, coherent thought from headquarters down.
    that would require some innovative thinking from the GAA

When Colm Parkinson had a high level GAA rep (can't remember his name) on his podcast - Colm was asking why they don't rip up the contracts with SKY etc end negotiate new ones. There are whole different competitions and structures now.
    He asked why things could not be divided up among the channels?
    For instance Joe McDonagh cup for TG4 etc.

And what did the high-level GAA representative say in reply ... 'Oh...! that's a good idea!
    It never even occurred to him!

Other sports would kill for the product the GAA have, yet the GAA seem clueless/not that bothered on how to market it (as usual)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

When Colm Parkinson had a high level GAA rep (can't remember his name) on his podcast - Colm was asking why they don't rip up the contracts with SKY etc end negotiate new ones. There are whole different competitions and structures now.
    He asked why things could not be divided up among the channels?
    For instance Joe McDonagh cup for TG4 etc.

And what did the GAA representative say in reply ... 'Oh...! that's a good idea!
    It never even occurred to him!

Other sports would kill for the product the GAA have, yet the GAA seem clueless/not that bothered on how to market it (as usual)

Agreed. The problem (created by the GAA) for the broadcasters is they can't forsee when and where the high rating games will be. It seems silly to give SKY the option to opt in or out of games and then no-one is left to cover them at short notice.

Mayo are one of the most watched teams in the championship. The advertisement revenue alone would be huge. Yet no channel is able or wants to cover the Down game. TG4 should be given the option if the other channels don't want these games. As you say the GAA are clueless how to market their product.

Some of the qualifier games are crackers. Some of the Super8 games, particularly in Croke Park are damp squibs that a lot of neutrals have no interest in.

I think most people would agree though, that a game played on front of a full stadium always has a better atmosphere and edge to it than one played on front of a half empty Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Shame on the GAA for selling rights to Sky.

Agreed. The problem (created by the GAA) for the broadcasters is they can't forsee when and where the high rating games will be. It seems silly to give SKY the option to opt in or out of games and then no-one is left to cover them at short notice.

Mayo are one of the most watched teams in the championship. The advertisement revenue alone would be huge. Yet no channel is able or wants to cover the Down game. TG4 should be given the option if the other channels don't want these games. As you say the GAA are clueless how to market their product.

Some of the qualifier games are crackers. Some of the Super8 games, particularly in Croke Park are damp squibs that a lot of neutrals have no interest in.

I think most people would agree though, that a game played on front of a full stadium always has a better atmosphere and edge to it than one played on front of a half empty Croke Park.
    Knockout games are the best
    It’s a shame not one of the knockout football games that weekend will be shown

Stoner wrote: »
    If there was a demand for hill 16 tickets from other counties they would sell them, there just has not been traditionally with them being seen as the second class seats.

My auld fella (a culchie) gets great mischievous joy in saying the Dubs only get the hill tickets, because they can't afford the stand ticket.

He is also amused that some Dubs actually swap stand tickets for Hill tickets with culchies. (straight swap)
    Some Dubs would not even go to a game unless they get a Hill ticket!

Most people know the evolution of many Dublin supporters - from stand, to the Hill, and back to the stand.
    As a small young fella (sitting in the stand) you could not wait to be old enough to go into the Hill, the view is not as good as the Cusack/Hogan but the atmosphere is great.
    You would definitely see less of the game though, but you would not care about that.
    Then as the Dub fan gets older he moves back to the 'comfort' of the stand.
    What used to be referred to as the 'posh seats' before premium days.

In fairness Sky they do cover/have covered games that previously would not have been covered at all only for them.
    This is an occasion where it has worked the other way around - particularly with new structures the whole thing is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

This isn't the issue at all. I really hope the majority of people realise this.

How the GAA markets itself is pathetic. Even within individual counties.

It's shameful, for example, that the best way to keep up to date with live scores from premier level county/club games is to go to the twitter account of the clubs/counties involved and hope you might find something useful added by a local volunteer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

elefant wrote: »

It's shameful, for example, that the best way to keep up to date with live scores from premier level county/club games is to go to the twitter account of the clubs/counties involved and hope you might find something useful added by a local volunteer.

I didn't see Mayo v Roscommon - that was on Sky.

That should have been on a sunday on Virgin or RTE.

elefant wrote: »

The GAA probably have to have a discussion at congress to find out what Twitter is first....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

It's the games that no rights have been offered to anyone for- television, web stream or even radio- that should be cause for frustration.

There's been one live football game shown on any TV station since that Connacht semi-final. That's not down to sky being given rights to show matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Welcome to 4 years ago.

Is this really the best you can do?

• Advertisement

I’d rather watch paint dry than watch GAA on tv3/virgin . Terrible presentation
    That’s the only positive about the sky deal!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement