Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

joe40 wrote: »
    I'm far from a GAA expert but just a wee question about Dublin dominance of the inter county scene at the minute. Would it be fair to say that this complete dominance isn't reflected in the club scene for Dublin, which after all is the breeding ground for intercounty players. Corofin (Galway) and Gweedore (Donegal) competed for the club championship. Is this strange?

That is an excellent point actually that is rarely spoken about.
    I would be neutral when I go to Dublin Senior Club championship games where the standard is great among the top eight.

Ballymun (perennial favourites) have underachieved because they are mostly knackered through the amount of players they have playing for Dublin McCarthy, Rock, Small, Mcmahon etc. Plus there are also questions asked about the sideline calls.
    They have repeatedly lost to a match smart/aging Vincents side Ger Brennan, Mossy Quinn et al.

Crokes were caught this year against that Longford crowd (can't spell it) who had 5 intercounty players who beat Meath previously.
    But this was a Crokes side who had Mannion who scored seven from play against Kildare last weekend.

It is not the first time a club in Leinster has shocked a Dublin team. Rathnew from Wicklow beat Vincents and kept Diarmuid Connolly to 2 points.

In an AI final Brigids from Roscommon beat Ballymun who were 6 ahead at one stage.

There seems to be way more of spread of talent in Club football than intercounty.
    I think that will be the future of the game in the long run.
    Corofin are a funny team as a few of them do not make the Galway starting team, and Daithi Burke only plays for the hurlers!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I'm far from a GAA expert but just a wee question about Dublin dominance of the inter county scene at the minute. Would it be fair to say that this complete dominance isn't reflected in the club scene for Dublin, which after all is the breeding ground for intercounty players. Corofin (Galway) and Gweedore (Donegal) competed for the club championship. Is this strange?

Dublin clubs have been very strong over the years, Crokes, Kickhams, St Endas and Vincent’s have won All Ireland’s or made finals recently. They have been the strongest county on the club scene by far in that respect. You have exceptional clubs like Corofin, Crossmaglen etc competing in this competition as well so it is clearly harder to dominate the roll of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Hill 16 was near full yesterday. 36,000 there yesterday, 80% Dubs. Historically high for a Leinster semi final.

You might want to check the history books!
    So its the first Dublin GAA President for 80 year's fault now!

Again you might want to check the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's laughable if this R2 qualifier on Sky is Down v Mayo which the match times indicate over Monaghan v Armagh. Put the Mayo game on at 7pm the far side of the country so loads of them can't go, make them watch on TV to boost the figs while the rest of the country gets deprived of the very competitive tie between 2 good teams. Hard make sense of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Round Two Qualifiers

Saturday June 22

Antrim v Kildare, Corrigan Park, 3pm - *Subject to inspection and safety certification

Longford v Tyrone, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 5pm

Derry v Laois, Owenbeg, 5pm

Westmeath v Limerick, TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar, 6pm

Leitrim v Clare, Avantcard Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada, 6pm

Monaghan v Armagh, St Tiernach's Park, 7pm

Down v Mayo, Páirc Esler, 7pm

Sunday June 23

Offaly v Sligo, Bord Na Mona O'Connor Park, 2pm

ET if necessary and Winner on the Day in all Round Two Qualifiers fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Dublin clubs do much better than they used to.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It's laughable if this R2 qualifier on Sky is Down v Mayo which the match times indicate over Monaghan v Armagh. Put the Mayo game on at 7pm the far side of the country so loads of them can't go, make them watch on TV to boost the figs while the rest of the country gets deprived of the very competitive tie between 2 good teams. Hard make sense of it

Now thery're saying the Munster final is on at 7, which would leave the Sky game as Tyrone v Longford at 5. At this rate they're screwing Mayo fans for putting on a game 4 hrs drive away at 7pm at night, the general public because they'll miss a very good tie and Sky cos they've to show Tyrone as a 1/14 favourite that nobody will want to watch

Now thery're saying the Munster final is on at 7, which would leave the Sky game as Tyrone v Longford at 5. At this rate they're screwing Mayo fans for putting on a game 4 hrs drive away at 7pm at night, the general public because they'll miss a very good tie and Sky cos they've to show Tyrone as a 1/14 favourite that nobody will want to watch

I think Monaghan v Armagh would be the choice most people would want to see.

Yeah that's the very good tie I was referring to

Yeah that's the very good tie I was referring to

Oh right. 7pm throw in seems crazy for Mayo fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Absolutely, its the stand out tie of the round, the scheduling doesnt make any sense on a number of levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Cork won the 1983 Munster Championship (with a last minute goal I think) so Kerry didn’t win 11 in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin clubs do much better than they used to.

Dublin's record at club level is strong
    Dublin winners

Ballymun, vinnies, ballyboden and crokes have won a few leinster's

C__MC wrote: »
    Dublin's record at club level is strong
    Dublin winners

Ballymun, vinnies, ballyboden and crokes have won a few leinster's

And 2008. 2 hurling All Ireland's as well for the first time ever.

On who can beat Dublin, its hard to know.
    Dublin are extremely strong in every line. They have so many top players across the pitch and bench no team can match them.

Mayo went to toe to toe with Dublin in 3 finals but Dublin's bench made the difference, Costello in 16, Connolly in 17. On review, mayo are the only team that can match the dubs. They have brilliant backs who make life tough for mayo forwards and their forward play has also been excellent against Dublin.

Currently, Monaghan, Tyrone, roscommon, galway lack either good defenders or a range of forwards that can trouble Dublin. In the last two seasons, Dublin have coasted past these teams. To suggest they could stop the drive for 5 would be wide of the mark.

Donegal look good, rochford has them well drilled. But being honest, Dublin beat donegal in 2nd gear last year. It's still questionable if donegal have a strong bench and Tyrone cut them open 3 times on Saturday. I'd still expect Dublin to be to strong if they meet

We all know how good Kerry are if they click up front. But currently, they have a very poor midfield and light defence. There last trips to Croke park has seen the kingdom utterly rudderless. It's very hard to see Kerry take down Dublin this year at least.

That leaves mayo. As I said they possess all the tools to hurt Dublin minus a bench. But right now they have 3 tough rounds to get to a super 8 and then 3 tough games to get to a semi. Injuries and age is catching up with them. I think Dublin would have to much.

All in all, i think we only have 2 /3 challengers to Dublin and it's very doubtful if a genuine 75 minute challenge can be given by donegal Kerry or mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hard to see past the Dubs but I have a feeling Mayo are not out of the equation just yet. Not much mention of them anywhere but they could get a nice run through the qualifiers and might surprise many.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hard to see past the Dubs but I have a feeling Mayo are not out of the equation just yet. Not much mention of them anywhere but they could get a nice run through the qualifiers and might surprise many.

Down will be a challenge. Might have a few quid on the Mourne men.

Dublin's possession game is also relentless.
    They have athletes all round who hold the ball so well and take the right option 9 times out of ten. Imagine chasing that down then having to reset for your own kick out where Dublin squeeze the life out of you. They also possess a ridiculous amount of power and speed in Fenton, mannion, mc carthy and mc caffrey. Was at the galway game last year, galway had a reasonable first half but once Dublin clicked especially those guys, it was over after 40 minutes.

Is there really a team out there to hold these? Not to mention what's beside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

C__MC wrote: »
    On who can beat Dublin, its hard to know.
    Dublin are extremely strong in every line. They have so many top players across the pitch and bench no team can match them.

Mayo went to toe to toe with Dublin in 3 finals but Dublin's bench made the difference, Costello in 16, Connolly in 17. On review, mayo are the only team that can match the dubs. They have brilliant backs who make life tough for mayo forwards and their forward play has also been excellent against Dublin.

Currently, Monaghan, Tyrone, roscommon, galway lack either good defenders or a range of forwards that can trouble Dublin. In the last two seasons, Dublin have coasted past these teams. To suggest they could stop the drive for 5 would be wide of the mark.

Donegal look good, rochford has them well drilled. But being honest, Dublin beat donegal in 2nd gear last year. It's still questionable if donegal have a strong bench and Tyrone cut them open 3 times on Saturday. I'd still expect Dublin to be to strong if they meet

We all know how good Kerry are if they click up front. But currently, they have a very poor midfield and light defence. There last trips to Croke park has seen the kingdom utterly rudderless. It's very hard to see Kerry take down Dublin this year at least.

That leaves mayo. As I said they possess all the tools to hurt Dublin minus a bench. But right now they have 3 tough rounds to get to a super 8 and then 3 tough games to get to a semi. Injuries and age is catching up with them. I think Dublin would have to much.

All in all, i think we only have 2 /3 challengers to Dublin and it's very doubtful if a genuine 75 minute challenge can be given by donegal Kerry or mayo.

Dublin are just too mobile for every team in the country. Kildare aren't a bad side but the difference in pace and athleticism was striking on Sunday. When you throw in the fact they have plenty of football in them too......Can't see any side living with them and to be brutally honest i think Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone etc will do well to make a game of it.

Mayo were able to get close but too many of their players are late twenties, early thirties. It would be an uncharacteristically one sided affair if they were to meet this season imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Down will be a challenge. Might have a few quid on the Mourne men.

Saw Down a few times of late Francie. I think Mayo will have it relatively easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any news yet on Tiernan McCann's hearing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hill 16 was near full yesterday. 36,000 there yesterday, 80% Dubs. Historically high for a Leinster semi final.

Why was Hill 16 even open for this match? If Dublin weren't playing it would have been closed off. Blatant favouritism in what we are repeatedly told is a "neutral" venue

corny wrote: »
    Dublin are just too mobile for every team in the country. Kildare aren't a bad side but the difference in pace and athleticism was striking on Sunday. When you throw in the fact they have plenty of football in them too......Can't see any side living with them and to be brutally honest i think Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone etc will do well to make a game of it.

Mayo were able to get close but too many of their players are late twenties, early thirties. It would be an uncharacteristically one sided affair if they were to meet this season imo.

Agree 100% I wouldn’t give mayo a hope at this stage, they can’t turn back the clock with guys like Higgins, Boyle and Moran who were so prominent in past seasons. Aidan O’Shea bossed the two games v Kerry in the league but Dublin would run the legs off him by half time in a big championship game. I’d love to be proven wrong but I just don’t see it with Mayo, they don’t have the talent up front or the depth.

Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone and Galway all a good bit away too imo unless absolutely everything goes right for them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

More hope than substance in that I think. Mayo have gone back along way from 2yrs ago. They don't have the firepower to bother Dublin. I think most people are hoping that someone will topple Dublin so there's a hope that mayo as someone that ran them close in the last couple of years will come through. All evidence is to the contrary.

Agree 100% I wouldn’t give mayo a hope at this stage, they can’t turn back the clock with guys like Higgins, Boyle and Moran who were so prominent in past seasons. Aidan O’Shea bossed the two games v Kerry in the league but Dublin would run the legs off him by half time in a big championship game. I’d love to be proven wrong but I just don’t see it with Mayo, they don’t have the talent up front or the depth.

Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone and Galway all a good bit away too imo unless absolutely everything goes right for them on the day.

100% agree. I think that Galway can put it up to them next year if they get rid of Walsh and get a really good manager in. They have the 2nd best squad in the country and loads of options off the bench. The negative style at the moment makes them look like sh1t.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any news yet on Tiernan McCann's hearing today?

Peter Canavan defending him on Matt Cooper yesterday saying it was overblown and he deserves no more than a one game ban. When thats the example from the most prominent Tyrone player ever what chance is there theyll clean up their act. Bit of a twat is wee Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Saw Down a few times of late Francie. I think Mayo will have it relatively easy.

Mayo are no great shakes lately either.

threeball wrote: »
    100% agree. I think that Galway can put it up to them next year if they get rid of Walsh and get a really good manager in. They have the 2nd best squad in the country and loads of options off the bench. The negative style at the moment makes them look like sh1t.

Yes I like Galway but it must be a worry that Comer is still not back. They said on TSG last weekend (and I agree) that the negative style is an effort to protect the backs because Walsh knows they simply aren’t good enough to go man v man. It’s an interesting conundrum for Walsh but they will win nothing playing as they are.

Tyrone had the same issue and tried to be more positive and look what happened last weekend. It’s not always as simple as just play more expansively and results will come. I think you have to go horses for courses and be able to adapt on the day. There is a place for what Galway do.

That is what makes Dublin so good they can play a defensive team and wear them down with possession football working the ball across the field and down the wings but are also happy to play a tennis match and will back themselves to convert more than the opposition.

That will be on RTE though or will Sky show it as well? Nice if Sky had a 5 & a 7 o clock match.

• Advertisement

Yes I like Galway but it must be a worry that Comer is still not back. They said on TSG last weekend (and I agree) that the negative style is an effort to protect the backs because Walsh knows they simply aren’t good enough to go man v man. It’s an interesting conundrum for Walsh but they will win nothing playing as they are.

Tyrone had the same issue and tried to be more positive and look what happened last weekend. It’s not always as simple as just play more expansively and results will come. I think you have to go horses for courses and be able to adapt on the day. There is a place for what Galway do.

That is what makes Dublin so good they can play a defensive team and wear them down with possession football working the ball across the field and down the wings but are also happy to play a tennis match and will back themselves to convert more than the opposition.

I don't subscribe to that theory. Galway have a very decent back six. They don't need to do anything more than drop 2 lads in between the full and half back lines and leave the main threats up front to be really good. They have some of the best ball carriers in the game to switch defence to attack too.

The problem is Walsh. He's a one trick pony and while it shored up a porous defence 4yrs ago the players available now are completely different and he hasn't changed the style even a bit. He's wasting talent at the moment. You can see how good Corofin are. The teams that ran them as close as any in the entire season in Mountbellew and Annaghdown have very good players on the team and then you have guys like Shane Walsh, Cillian Mcdaid, Sean Andy etc. There's a really good team there playing a really bad system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement