Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

mzungu wrote: »
    I enjoyed that episode.

Nice scene at the end with Jamie and Bran. Well, more the look of Jamie's face when he realised who it was.

It set things up nicely what whats to come.

I felt the dragon ride part was unnecessary and reminded me of The Neverending Story!!

Me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

RayCon wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode ... although it felt like it flew by. Agree with most posters about the dragon ride .... it definitely was a bit " a whole new world" :pac:

Weird how well it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv6imCrmQY

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

The Dragon ride had to happen, his maiden voyage couldn't be during the big battle and its a nice bit of fan service for the book readers who have been waiting to see that for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Collie D wrote: »
    The Umber castle. Don’t know the name but it’s somewhere between the wall and Winterfell. I think it’s in the opening credits.

Oh so you should have twigged if you had been watching the opening credits attentively, which I never do.:rolleyes: I like to think I'm a pretty serious fan but when I read up on episodes on the Internet I always find there's stuff gone over my head. The crossbow thing didn't register with me at the time either.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting dynamic between Cersei and Euron. I had assumed she'd keep him dangling indefinitely, and apparently Lena Headey took some persuading not to do that. But he is ultimately the alpha male in that situation, so in a Darwinian world she must be powerfully drawn to him, no matter how dickish he is and no matter how much of a power she is in her own right...

That happened the moment they ran out of book material to crib from. No surprise that it has not picked up now.

They turned it around in season 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

It doesn't really. For one thing, it was missing a big ****ing three headed dragon in the middle of it.
    game-of-thrones-white-walker-symbol-s03e03.jpg

ned-umber-thrones-death-0.jpg

latest?cb=20181113055101

If you can't see the similarities there's something wrong with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Theyre similar in that they both use spirals.

Could the Night King spiral be a primitive Targaryen symbol?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Is the very first kid we see in the episode, the same umber kid who ends up on the wall at the end? For some reason I thought that there were two different kids at the start looking to see the royals enter winterfell and one of which was the umber lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The final scene when Jamie sees bran. GOT never did cliffhangers whatsoever. I hate cliffhangers. It's one of the many reasons why season 1-4 were outstanding. They're the hallmark of bad TV shows imo. The Walking Dead did it non-stop. This isn't even that big of a cliffhanger but its still annoying and unnecessary. Finish the episode on the burning boy, start the next episode on Jamie's arrival. Problem solved.
    This episode closely mirrors S1E1. The final scene in that was Jamie pushing Bran out of the tower. Makes sense to have him face Bran now. Jamie was so arrogant back then. Remember how much like Prince Charming he looked? :pac: Now he's humbled and not really sure of his place in the world.

evil_seed wrote: »

2uiDs.jpg

s05e06 when the Children of the Forest create the first white walker.

It seems that the spiral comes from all the way before the WWs even existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Game of Thrones has diminished into the type of fantasy television that the stronger cast members would be keen to avoid if the show was just starting out.

GoT was always fantasy from the very beginning but they kept it in the background enough that people who hate fantasy could still get into the show. But now that the fantasy elements have to come to the fore as the show reaches a conclusion, you get people going, "I hate those silly dragons".

GoT was always fantasy from the very beginning but they kept it in the background enough that people who hate fantasy could still get into the show. But now that the fantasy elements have to come to the fore as the show reaches a conclusion, you get people going, "I hate those silly dragons".

No, the quality of the writing has fallen off a cliff since they went off book..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It doesn't really. For one thing, it was missing a big ****ing three headed dragon in the middle of it.
    game-of-thrones-white-walker-symbol-s03e03.jpg

ned-umber-thrones-death-0.jpg

latest?cb=20181113055101

Well one of them is a spiral. The other is a big ****ing three-headed dragon with wings and a tail that is shaped into a circle. If you can't see that they're two completely different things that are nothing alike (apart from a circle outline) then there's something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well one of them is a spiral. The other is a big ****ing three-headed dragon with wings and a tail that is shaped into a circle. If you can't see that they're two completely different things that are nothing alike (apart from a circle outline) then there's something wrong with you.

Also the Night King predated House Targaryan by a very long time.

That said, only a Targaryan can ride a dragon, which the Night King did.

Sigil is somewhat similar but definitely different to the flame logo though.

I wish someone would have an honest conversation with bran. He literally knows everything that ever happened and they aren't using him.

It's plausible the Targaryens could have adopted the symbol they might have found in Dragonstone after leaving Valeria and changed it to Dragons.

y035ac1b88ez.png

But half the swirls have seven "legs", and half have eight. There's little consistency to it.

Edit: The Targaryen symbol has eight, just like in the left pic on the cave. Who knows.

If you can't see that they're two completely different things that are nothing alike (apart from a circle outline) then there's something wrong with you.

Why do ye have to be so nasty about it to each other?

There are 2 symbols, they have some similarities and some differences.

I dont think anyone has anything wrong with them for pointing out the similarities OR the differences.

Theres just no need for the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

the yara kidnap plot was resolved very quickly, way quicker than i thought. I was expecting a big battle with euron to save her. it seemed too easy for theon, and too rushed.

but, maybe its supposed to show eurons obsession with cersei - that he would leave yara alone with so few guards because he's so focused on cersei.

good episode overall, im liking the dany/sansa conflict. a lot of the reunions and meetings felt a bit dry, you'd think there would be more of a reaction or enthusiasm out of them.but in a way they made sense too. bittersweet.

im sensing there will be a massive betrayal in winterfell, one of the characters we previously loved will go rogue. its too predictable to have them all united.

i think bronn will die, greed may get the better of him if he decides to hunt down the lannister bros for gold.

i also think the likes of varys and jorah will be gonners. varys is defenceless and jorah will sacrifice himself for dany, it's his character arc.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    the yara kidnap plot was resolved very quickly, way quicker than i thought. I was expecting a big battle with euron to save her. it seemed too easy for theon, and too rushed.

I think that plot had to be resolved that way as Theon had so few resources and only Euron taking his eyes off her as he was distracted by Cersei would have made that work. And I'd guess that maybe they didn't want to spend too much time on it and wanted the quickest resolution seeing as Euron just killing her now would seem odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

dusty bin wrote: »
    Is the very first kid we see in the episode, the same umber kid who ends up on the wall at the end? For some reason I thought that there were two different kids at the start looking to see the royals enter winterfell and one of which was the umber lad.

No, IIRC there was only one kid at the start and he's not Ned Umber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Robsweezie wrote: »
    i also think the likes of varys and jorah will be gonners. varys is defenceless and jorah will sacrifice himself for dany, it's his character arc.

I think it would be a fate worse than death for him to fail to protect Daenarys and see her die before his eyes.

I really, really hope they don't pull off a cheap ending where a few token characters (like Jorah) are sacrified but all the 'good' guys ride off into the sunset.

I want Red Wedding level unpredictable backstabbing and chaos.

I think it would be a fate worse than death for him to fail to protect Daenarys and see her die before his eyes.

I really, really hope they don't pull off a cheap ending where a few token characters (like Jorah) are sacrified but all the 'good' guys ride off into the sunset.

I straight-up want everyone to die.

I straight-up want everyone to die.

I don't. The last thing the programme needs after seven or eight seasons of manoeuvring and relationship building is a chaotic end with no purpose and logic that just satisfies bloodlust.

I agree that there has to be a meaningful and devastating toll but carnage for the sake of carnage is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

coolisin wrote: »
    Other then the stupid dragon ride, which I was thinking was too long.
    Surely she should be looking at this going ehh how can you fly a dragon.

Was wondering about this myself. Does she actually realise the implications of him being able to sit on the back of one of her dragons? Tyrion also sees Jon flying overhead on the dragon, and he's supposed to be something of a nerd when it comes to dragons, so will he have realised the implications of this too?

Overall, I thought the episode was grand. Some clunky dialogue in places and the Aladdin-esque dragon ride was a bit much, but I'd genuinely forgotten about some stuff since the last season, so was glad for the catch up tbh.

The reveal about Jon is setting it up nicely for a lot of tension. Danerys won't bend the knee to him and she doesn't seem capable of winning hearts or minds in the north. Sam's line about Jon sacrificing his crown for his people and questioning whether Danerys would do the same was important, I feel.

I'm interested in seeing where Tyrion stands on all of this once he finds out.

I don't. The last thing the programme needs after seven or eight seasons of manoeuvring and relationship building is a chaotic end with no purpose and logic that just satisfies bloodlust.

I agree that there has to be a meaningful and devastating toll but carnage for the sake of carnage is pointless.

Fine, I want everyone to die because of pointless fighting amongst the living. It can be an allegory for climate change. The White Walkers are the rising tide breaching our walls against the sea.

Fine, I want everyone to die because of pointless fighting amongst the living. It can be an allegory for climate change. The White Walkers are the rising tide breaching our walls against the sea.

Maybe you'd enjoy an Attenborough documentary more.

Maybe you'd enjoy an Attenborough documentary more.

One about ice spiders as big as dogs?

....... wrote: »
    One about ice spiders as big as dogs?

Whatever gets him/her through the day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭downtheroad

biggebruv wrote: »
    But the show was always leading down this path it’s not as if they just invented dragons and white walkers a epic fantasy battle etc in the later seasons they were always there in the background leading upto this endgame we have now

The episode had almost no overly fantasy sequences either it was all characters interacting so I don’t get this recent trend

Very true, it is called A Song of Ice and Fire after all.

• Advertisement

Jorah could become the Queen Slayer, to prevent the mad Queen (not Cersi) killing everyone

Advertisement