Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah the shows gonna get fairly "weird" if they are gonna tie up the loose ends with regards to the lord of light and his unseen involvement throughout the show.

The red woman was last seen at dragonstone talking to Varys, it was her idea for them to invite Jon Snow to dragonstone. She kept a distance on the cliff side with varys as she didnt want Jon or the onion knight to see her.. She will be back i have no doubt, she left a hint that she will die in westeros, just like Varys.. he then gave her a look and that scene ended..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

nix wrote: »

Here ya go

Jeez - I forgot all about that. Id say we will definitely see her again.

Also - didnt she have a conversation with Arya WAY back where she mentioned a lot of faces and that they would meet again?

....... wrote: »
    Jeez - I forgot all about that. Id say we will definitely see her again.

Also - didnt she have a conversation with Arya WAY back where she mentioned a lot of faces and that they would meet again?

She sure did, back when she nabbed Gendry from the brothers..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Alot of these contrarian views on the newer episodes stem from people who watched from the start.....the whole "I was into it before it was popular" brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

Anyone else think that the image quality on Sky Atlantic HD was really, really bad? Particularly the blocky/crushed looking blacks.

I watched the pre-downloaded version that's highlighted in the planner. I wonder if that version is of lower quality than what's broadcast live or made available for download later?

That doesn't sound right and yet there's definitely a problem with it. I watched all of season 7 last week via Sky Box Sets and it was absolutely fine.

I thought last night's episode was just okay but the overall slower pace has me intrigued. I thought pacing was a major problem in season 7. It was trying to cover a lot of ground and it felt like very old-fashioned fantasy TV as a result. I tuned in last night expecting the same but was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Robsweezie wrote: »
    im sensing there will be a massive betrayal in winterfell, one of the characters we previously loved will go rogue. its too predictable to have them all united.

I think we got a bit of foreshadowing of this when Arya admonished Jon to not forget he is a Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Plopsu wrote: »
    Bwahaha. Arya meeting Gendry again. the look on her face was like, 'How did I not notice that before'.

Could this the start of a (probably PG-rated) something? Could romance blossom over some weird medieval-style weaponry? Or will they be just good comrades in arms?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Jon Snow turning rogue and in turn being killed by the Starks would be ultimate Game of Thrones :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

irishfeen wrote: »
    Jon Snow turning rogue and in turn being killed by the Starks would be ultimate Game of Thrones :)

:) Cant see it, he's shown he's no interest in power or being King. He's more likely to sacrifice himself for the greater good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

I had a vision an out of body experience and know how it ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

J. Marston wrote: »
    Euron is probably the worst villain the show has had. He has two settings "I'm so arrogant" and "Gonna fúck the Queen."

Give me even the Sandsnakes over that tool.

I cannot help seeing Eddie Izzard when he is on screen.

Every, flucking, time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Could this the start of a (probably PG-rated) something? Could romance blossom over some weird medieval-style weaponry? Or will they be just good comrades in arms?:P

i didn't read as much into their meeting as most it seems, still a brother sister dynamic for me and it would just be too corny and weird anyway, she still looks like a child.

Now Sansa and Gendry, that would be interesting. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Poor episode . Really really disappointed .the exchange between the hound and Ayra was poor.
    I liked it.

The Hound: You left me to die.
    Arya: I robbed you first
    The Hound:

raw

Seriously though, Arya's "I robbed you first" was a reference to the Hound robbing the farmer and daughter and leaving them to die. The harshness of life was one of his lessons and it came full circle on him. Unless Arya was going to apologise and they'd hug it out, there was nothing more to be said.

I remember when the Hound met Brienne and he asked her who was looking after Arya and Brienne said something along the lines that it was other people who would need looking after from Arya and he looked like a proud uncle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

bur wrote: »
    i didn't read as much into their meeting as most it seems, still a brother sister dynamic for me

Have you....watched this show? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

How can Gendry peg it back to the Wall from the frozen lake, send a raven to Dragonstone, Dani get her dragons and new winter coat ready then fly from Dragonstone up to the frozen lake in about 12hrs when it takes the Night King and Ice Dragon days to get from the Wall to the Umber's?

fatknacker wrote: »
    How can Gendry peg it back to the Wall from the frozen lake, send a raven to Dragonstone, Dani get her dragons and new winter coat ready then fly from Dragonstone up to the frozen lake in about 12hrs when it takes the Night King and Ice Dragon days to get from the Wall to the Umber's?

Well you're two years late for that discussion.

As for the last part, it's even more ludicrous. It wasn't even days.. Entire armies and Jaime from King's Landing got to Winterfell. It's a multiple-week journey.

They should have shown the wall being destroyed but not the army of the dead. Or at least shown them way way back where they turned the baby into a White Walker or something performing some final ritual. It would have helped the timeline aspect.

That has been a constant problem since season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Well you're two years late for that discussion.

It's part of the same story.

• Advertisement

It's part of the same story.

You're still too late for that discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think we got a bit of foreshadowing of this when Arya admonished Jon to not forget he is a Stark

Be interesting to see how she takes the news that he's actually a Targaryen.
    I actually think she'll be the only one who doesn't react badly, given their relationship compared to the other Stark chiddlers.
    I cannot help seeing Eddie Izzard when he is on screen.

Every, flucking, time.
    Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I liked the Hound meeting Arya again, theres a mutual respect there between two of them.

Theyre both hard as nails now and in a way, being with the Hound has given Arya a bit of resolve, she wouldnt be the person she is today without the time spent with him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one help the other down the line out of a bad situation.

The Hound vs the Mountain is pretty much nailed on in the next few episodes too so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Is there something to be said for the night king having targarian blood. He did ride a dragon too

Is there something to be said for the night king having targarian blood. He did ride a dragon too
    Think that's more because he brought it back and has full control over it.
    Viseryion wouldn't be thinking for himself like Rhaegal or Drogon would.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

:) Cant see it, he's shown he's no interest in power or being King. He's more likely to sacrifice himself for the greater good.
    bur wrote: »
    i didn't read as much into their meeting as most it seems, still a brother sister dynamic for me and it would just be too corny and weird anyway, she still looks like a child.

Now Sansa and Gendry, that would be interesting. :P
    Arya and Gendry as a future couple has been hinted at since before they first met: "I have a son, you have a daughter, we'll join our houses". Robert just didn't realise which son and which daughter they were discussing!

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Think that's more because he brought it back and has full control over it.
    Viseryion wouldn't be thinking for himself like Rhaegal or Drogon would.

I wouldn't say he had full control over it. Did he have full control over that Wight that they brought to King's landing? The wights seem to have a mind of their own.

I wouldn't say he had full control over it. Did he have full control over that Wight that they brought to King's landing? The wights seem to have a mind of their own.
    I imagine they have some base level of instinct or something going on, but for the main part, he has overall control of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I can't see Bronn taking out the Lanister brothers on Cerisi's orders
    After spending so much time with them both and puting his life on the line for both of them too castle or no castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just because we saw the Night King get the dragon out of the water right after Dany rescued the lads, doesn't mean that's when it happened. Same with the Night King attacking the Wall.

It's possible that the Night King resurrecting the dragon happened while Jon & Dany were heading to King's Landing for the meeting with Cersei, and the attack on the Wall happened just before Jon & Dany arrived at White Harbour before riding for Winterfell.

As for the movement of the Night King and his army, there is a lot of them and they generally seem to walk quite slow when not agitated.

Ultimately though, it's just one of those things we have to accept about the show. Everyone travels at the speed the story requires them to.

Advertisement