Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Aye that's all fair enough, but this wasn't a good episode. The writing was very weak. I'm pretty meh on the battle scenes, much prefer the intrigue and the conversation of early seasons. But this whole episode lacked any sort of oomph or believability for me. Some examples:

- Bronn accepting the mission. Kinda undoes all his character progression the last 7 seasons. Don't buy it.

But the entire point with Bronn is that he hasn't undergone any character progression. He is still a sellsword who will openly admit to having no loyalty and simply working for whoever pays him most. When asked if he would kill a baby his response was he'd ask 'how much' first.
    He may pause and decide he doesn't want to kill the Lannister brothers when it comes down to it but it's not bad writing for Cersei / Qyburn to believe that he would do anything for a few sacks of gold.

....... wrote: »
    The entire episode mirrored lots of elements of S01E01 with a bit of foreshadowing thrown in....

You know you could have just copied and pasted the entire joe.ie article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What joe article? Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Copy and paste the Reddit post that JOE copied it from and go straight to the source. Even the order is the same. :pac:

leggo wrote: »
    Copy and paste the Reddit post that JOE copied it from and go straight to the source. Even the order is the same. :pac:

Thats mad. Most of my musings are from various conversations in work this morning.

Give us a link to these articles. Ill be interested to read them.

I haven't had time yet to go down the rabbit-hole that is Thrones on Reddit but yeah joe are such rip-off merchants it should come as no surprise they lifted straight from there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thats mad. Most of my musings are from various conversations in work this morning.

Give us a link to these articles. Ill be interested to read them.

I dunno about you, I was laughing about JOE. Reddit have a pretty big GOT section if you wanna have a look.

The entire episode mirrored lots of elements of S01E01 with a bit of foreshadowing thrown in.

The same music being played when the King and Queen arrived at Winterfell. Ned Stark telling Jon that they next time they met he would tell him about his mother, then Jon standing in front of Neds statue in the crypt finding out about his parentage. Jon Snows life ending in Winterfells cyrpts - poetic really.

And what about Arya/Gendry - "Ive a son, youve a daughter - lets join our houses!!"

Cersei getting rid of Bronn with the crossbow was interesting - she wants him gone from Kings Landing - and Bronn knows that Tyrion will pay twice what anyone else offers him for a hit on him - so Bronn will be back on Team Tyrion soon enough.

Jaime Lannisters arrival back in Winterfell in a cloak with his hair much darker (the less blonde his hair, the less of a Lannister he is - same goes for Tyrion) - and Bran referring to him as an old friend, is this some reference to the Three Eyed Crow and Azor Ahai?

There is a significance in Dani burning Sams father and brother to death - it mirrors her father burning Neds father and brother to death.

"We should have stayed in that cave" "We should stay here for 1000 years" - goodbye romance!

Terrible CGI for the dragons, they kept appearing to be different sizes.

Loved the meat spiral on the wall in Umbers. And the reference to Ed Sheeran - so he made it out alive - just no eyelids.

Probably my favourite subtle scene was the three eyed raven walking on the windowsill in the room with Sansa - Bran is always listening....

I was disappointed with the Arya/Hound reunion - I hoped it would be more.....emotional?

Huh? What's Azor Ahai?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dragons are pretty bloody quick, so I'd be expecting the Night King to be in sight of Winterfell by the end of the next episode, maybe even the very end.

I know Bran said he was waiting for an Old Friend and Jamie shows up and eye balls him but what if Bran is waiting for the Night King, who hes had more interactions with than pretty much anyone else throughout his journey on the show.

I dunno about you, I was laughing about JOE. Reddit have a pretty big GOT section if you wanna have a look.

Was planning a solid browse there after work. Havent had a chance yet.

Huh? What's Azor Ahai?

The Prince (or Princess) that was Promised, The Last Hero, The Light Bringer.

Melisandre believed it was Stannis. Then people were saying it was Jon Snow. But then in the caves we saw 3 figures drawn and one had what looked like Jaimes golden hand so people were saying he might be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Huh? What's Azor Ahai?

The Prince that was promised.

Fyi, /r/gameofthrones is all show and generally a bit more relaxed. /r/asoiaf follows the show now but it's more serious and I love some of their threads. Blocked /r/freefolk a long time ago for a spoiler in a thread title.

I don't think the words Azor Ahai is mentioned once in the show...

Fyi, /r/gameofthrones is all show and generally a bit more relaxed. /r/asoiaf follows the show now but it's more serious and I love some of their threads. Blocked /r/freefolk a long time ago for a spoiler in a thread title.

I was afraid to use the interwebs at all yesterday in case I saw a spoiler somewhere and of course the place I saw a bit of a spoiler was bloody boards.ie :(

No? Well its all over the chat on forums etc...

Yeah but this thread is for 'non book readers' and Azor Ahai is a book only reference so by rights it shouldn't be mentioned here at all

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Bwahaha. Arya meeting Gendry again. the look on her face was like, 'How did I not notice that before'.

Yeah but this thread is for 'non book readers' and Azor Ahai is a book only reference so by rights it shouldn't be mentioned here at all

Its been mentioned here loads of times in non book reader threads.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96600234
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109912286
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104115062

If youre not interested in it just move on and pass over posts that mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Euron is probably the worst villain the show has had. He has two settings "I'm so arrogant" and "Gonna fúck the Queen."

Give me even the Sandsnakes over that tool.

It makes no odds to me if it's mentioned as I'm a bookreader too but just pointing out how show-only fans may not have heard of the reference and justifiably may not want to read about book references in the show-only forum.

Not trying to be argumentative at all just don't think it's fair to be including book-only themes / characters etc in here

• Advertisement

I'm being disingenuous. I've heard of azor ahai and I also know it isn't uttered in the show whatsoever. It's barely featured in the show even under other guises and isn't important tbh. If it suddenly featured, it wouldn't make sense since the lack of airtime it's gotten. They have so little time left, adding in an ancient prophesy would be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sam made a point of asking Dany for a pardon for borrowing some books from the library. Maybe he'll read about him. He's discovered a lot of knowledge just from reading. For someone who start as a coward with the Night's Watch, he's been extremely valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Plopsu wrote: »
    Bwahaha. Arya meeting Gendry again. the look on her face was like, 'How did I not notice that before'.
    You think?

She literally told him "I could be your family" back in Season 3. His response was "No, you'd be m'lady".

Since then he's learned he's of noble birth and as literally the last "Baratheon" standing, and fighting for Jon Snow (who'd have to be fairly sympathetic to another bastard since he was raised as one himself) it's not a huge stretch to see him being legitimised as a Baratheon and free to marry a noble of Winterfell (not that I think Arya would give a "wet ****" about his status tbh)

I'm being disingenuous. I've heard of azor ahai and I also know it isn't uttered in the show whatsoever. It's barely featured in the show even under other guises and isn't important tbh. If it suddenly featured, it wouldn't make sense since the lack of airtime it's gotten. They have so little time left, adding in an ancient prophesy would be silly.

But the prophecy is in the show all along? Since Stannis and Melisandre first appeared. Season 2, Episode 1.

Melisandre has been going on about it for ages. She thought it was Stannis. And then she said that in the flames she only saw snow (Jon Snow?).

And Missandei even translates the Prince that was Promised as "The Prince or Princess that was Promised" and explains that the word used in High Valyrian was gender neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Later she switches her attention from Stannis to Jon. I wonder when she'll turn up again, which she surely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Or maybe you should just not post it? It's not part of the show and is potentially a massive spoiler.

Or maybe you should just not post it? It's not part of the show and is potentially a massive spoiler.

It is part of the show - Ive posted a link above from the earliest mention of it.

We are hardly going to add spoiler tags for things that were first mentioned in Season 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

The prince that was promised has been mentioned numerous times in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Later she switches her attention from Stannis to Jon. I wonder when she'll turn up again, which she surely will.

When was she last seen? I couldn't remember when watching the new episode what happened to her.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    When was she last seen? I couldn't remember when watching the new episode what happened to her.

Yeah i was wondering that myself.

Didnt Jon Snow send her away after the Battle of the Bastards when Davos found out she had burned Stannis' daughter?

Did we see her after that?

Advertisement