Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Redriddick wrote: »
    One thing,.........where is Brienne??

She was there in the crowd near the beginning. Didn't get any lines unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Bran is gone now according to the 3 eyed raven. Would that imply the relationship with jamie is something different now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The next time see Bronn and that crossbow will be immediately after he puts a bolt through the back of the head of a wight that's about to kill Tyrion/Jaime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    This episode was so underwhelming and not because there was no major battles. We all rave about it when its good but this was not good, it was a very weak offering.

Lets just admit this was a weak episode and look forward to the next one being better.

Yes, let's all row in behind this 1 objective truth shall we. People aren't allowed their own thoughts. Listen to Alpha.

Characters had to reconnect. The scene in Winterfell needs to be set, i.e. the tension between the northerners and Danys armies. All the major players had to be brought together and set up. The episode by and large did exactly what it needed to do. Like most I agree that the dragon ride was a bit much, but by and large it was a good episode without being a great one. But not every episode can be great. The ones like this are what allows the really great ones to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Essien wrote: »
    The next time see Bronn and that crossbow will be immediately after he puts a bolt through the back of the head of a wight that's about to kill Tyrion/Jaime.

Ooohh I like that. But I could also see it going the other way as well: Tyrion or Jaime do something heroic and a bolt goes into their back. Whether it kills them or not is another story but GOT can be as heartless as any show when it wants to be.

• Advertisement

The opening scene mirrors the very first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Redriddick wrote: »
    One thing,.........where is Brienne??

Wasn’t she behind Sansa when the Targaeryans rode into Winterfell?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lemlin wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode, bar the dragon riding which had poor CGI and was unnecessarily long.

Very good ending with Bran catching sight of his “old friend”....

That would be my summary too, the dragon ride reminded me of that Bond movie where he surfed using a car. I hope though, there’s a follow up scene with Ghost giving her the eyes.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Was Bran bad CGI or some sort of doll it felt like he had the same blank look on his face throughout the episode. Like he was being forced to watch every Terminator movie after Judgement Day

It’s poor writing IMHO, potentially bad acting too. Obviously the predecessor was a fantastic actor but he didn’t have his robot like mannerism.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Was Bran bad CGI or some sort of doll it felt like he had the same blank look on his face throughout the episode. Like he was being forced to watch every Terminator movie after Judgement Day

He's constantly watching his parents riding in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Can i not just dislike it because i found the writing terrible?

And just to add, ive been following from the beginning, have rewatched the show a few times over the years also.

I felt the comedy was very forced/terrible in this episode for one, although its matching that trend from last season.

And the whole Cersei hiring Bronn to assassinate Jamie/Tyrion was just eye roll inducing, it just doesnt make sense from both characters stand points. Cersei wouldnt higher Bronn to perform such a task, hes best friends with both of them and she has shown him nothing but disdain since season 1. And Bronn would know well Cersei would not honour her end of the bargain. The reason Bronn didnt go with Jamie is because he didnt want to get involved in all the danger of undead and dragons.. Yet hes up for going up to the same place to assassinate both of them? It's daft..

I did enjoy seeing the characters that havent met in years, but it was all over too quick, they could have cut out a lot of stupid **** to focus more on that..

I'm not unhappy there was character building, im unhappy because there wasnt enough :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

leggo wrote: »
    I would be so pissed in the last 6 episodes were just wall to wall battles. The conversation, politics and chess pieces being moved into place are what makes this show stand out. The Red Wedding would've just been a crappy set piece, a twist for the sake of a twist, without the entire season being about Tywin frantically writing letters, Roose letting Jaime go home for no clear reason, tension in Rob's army despite him winning the war etc. Because everything was in place, it is one of the greatest twists in television history and only gets better with repeated viewing as new pieces of the puzzle become clear.

If you want mindless action, go watch White House Down or some meaningless drivel. I want to spend some nice quiet time with these people I've watched for years, to see them happy before **** hits the fan, and to wonder what's going to happen when it undoubtedly does. Never mind the fact that first episodes of the season have always been this way with Thrones. The plebs who can't appreciate character based narrative and are just here for battle scenes always moan, then it always turns out grand in the end.

Aye that's all fair enough, but this wasn't a good episode. The writing was very weak. I'm pretty meh on the battle scenes, much prefer the intrigue and the conversation of early seasons. But this whole episode lacked any sort of oomph or believability for me. Some examples:

- Bran straight away says the dead dragon is now in control of the NK and nobody acknowledges this

- Dany is worried the dragons aren't eating properly for 10 seconds and then decides to piss about on a magic carpet romance ride

- Dany and Jon have no chemistry whatsoever. I don't buy it

- Tyrion is an idiot now. I don't buy it

- Bran is too robotic. The previous 3-eyed raven still had personality, I don't see why Bran doesn't

- Jon acts as if Arya should still be 12, never having used Needle and still bickering with Sansa. It's so dumb. I don't buy it

- Bronn accepting the mission. Kinda undoes all his character progression the last 7 seasons. Don't buy it.

- Euron.

- 90 second Greyjoy rescue. Don't buy it.

Without the books to adapt, there's not enough forward planning or character consistency in the previous season or this episode IMO. The show is getting dumber by the episode. Still one of the best TV shows of all time, but it's definitely dipped significantly in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Subtle as a brick to the face at the start. While I can see the need to use it as a set up episode, I felt it was a bit dull. Only decent scenes involved Sam, a brief few seconds with the Hound and Bran (seperately) and a one liner from Tormund. Danaerys seems to be allowed smile these days, which is good to see, nice for her to get to flash the teeth before she dies.

They're over egging the internal conflict a bit much though, and I have no time for the "Sansa is so smart" way things are obviously going to go, while making Tyrion into an absolute idiot.

Agreed. It was a v poor episode. Given there is only 6 in this season hard to believe they have wasted one. Complete dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dunno. I admit I was late to the show having dismissed it for years because of the fantasy elements, but I decided to give it a go last year and was hooked very early on. Watched all 7 seasons over a few months and it was top of my viewing agenda tonight.

It was a solid return imo. As others have said, they needed to move people into position for the final showdowns and handle some reunions of characters who haven't seen each other in years. Handled both of these well imo.

With regards the dragon CGI.. I honestly didn't notice because I don't watch this show (or any for that matter) for the special effects - sure, I can appreciate a well done sequence but what drew me in was the characters and the politics and the relationships between them all. Sure there's nudity and sex and bad language and big occasional battles but those are beside the point for me. They add to the overall recipe but they're not the meat of the show.

Reading some of the above, I can foresee a lot of disappointment and complaints to come, but me I really enjoyed catching up with everyone tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Newer shape Accord?

Bowlardo wrote:
    Poor episode . Really really disappointed .the exchange between the hound and Ayra was poor. Ayra was my favorite character but has gone to **** in the last season or two. I hope this season delivers ... the series really deserves it but I have a bad feeling about this

Oh calm down will you. Nothing suggests Arya has 'gone to ****' in The last 2 seasons, anything but in my eyes. It was a necessary episode. Would be hollow going right into a full on war with the dead.

Everybodies wishes will not be met all the time

I enjoyed it. Only two points that annoyed me was how they've started to cut scenes which aren't over yet to fabricate drama. Reminds me of rubbish soaps my sister's used to watch.

The scene where Sansa and Jon are arguing, Sansa says "Did you bend the knee to save the north or because you love her?". Scene just ends with Jon with a lump in his throat.

The final scene when Jamie sees bran. GOT never did cliffhangers whatsoever. I hate cliffhangers. It's one of the many reasons why season 1-4 were outstanding. They're the hallmark of bad TV shows imo. The Walking Dead did it non-stop. This isn't even that big of a cliffhanger but its still annoying and unnecessary. Finish the episode on the burning boy, start the next episode on Jamie's arrival. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Alpha_zero wrote:
    What a waste of an episode some people defending this tripe is shocking. It was a boring episode that offered little to nothing. Why can't people be honest.

Thought it was very good. If people want senseless battles throughout and no dialogue then best to watch another series. This was an important episode. I wish it were longer however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Okay, I've been known to... criticise a good deal of GOT stuff...

This was a totally okay episode. It didn't cheat, and put real effort into world building. Reunions were nice, if predictable (except Sam with the news of father and brother).

My only real problem (except obvious green screens with dragons) was the issues that characters hang a lamp shade on, but don't actually address.

Sansa: There isn't enough food for a quarter of these men
    Everyone: *silence*

Sansa: Tyrion, it is obvious to literally everyone that Cersei has betrayed you.
    Tyrion: *silence*

Sansa: The Glovers aren't sending any men.
    Jon: *silence*

Sam: You are actually the king, Eggon
    Aegon: *silence*

The Yara rescue was a bit unrealistic, but to be totally honest I had forgotten that she was even a prisoner, so it's better that that plot is wrapped up.

Also... "shoot Jamie with this crossbow if you see him".
    Wut.

It’s not about looking for large scale battles. It’s about poor writing as outlined above and some god awful humour crowbarred in just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    What a waste of an episode some people defending this tripe is shocking. It was a boring episode that offered little to nothing. Why can't people be honest.

People not agreeing with you means they're dishonest? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The whole episode mostly felt like setting stuff up... Who's where, who's with them, what are they doing.

The scene that stood out for me was the tense build up of the Night Watch meeting the Wildling scouting party... and then that turned in a bit more of Who's where.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well that was pretty disappointing for a final season opener - 'bland' probably a better word to describe it.

It would be a pity it this ends with a whimper, but it would want to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just watched first episode. Thumbs up except for maybe the silly dragon riding scene.. that didn't add much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I must admit when Bran mentioned the dragon is now with the whitewalkers and nobody said anything, I scratched my head a bit.

A lot of the ah here moments for me revolve around boring lifeless Bran and the silence/acceptance that follows.

I hate when Game Of Thrones is nothing but talking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Was incredibly pumped to watch that episode felt like had been waiting for new content for way to bloody long!

Enjoyed the episode mostly first one back it was always going to be a little more low tempo but in fairness there was still a lot there!

Jon and Sam finding out about there family's numerous reunions Jamie in Waterfall and that's not including all the other endgame build up going on between characters and family's.

Ive seen a few theory's based on how Bran could fit in with the story its hard to know weather any of them are worth considering but i get a feeling he will play a big part in whats to come yet. Hopefully it wont be anything repeated or silly though!

I just pray to god that they don't ruin the white walkers / Night king story they have built since the very start and have some bull**** defeat them or make them turn out to be weak.

For me that would be the biggest disappointment of the whole show and im really really hoping they pull something very few tv shows or films do and give the ultimate bad guys a decent ending.

Ive never been a big fan of Sansa and Arya so im hoping there done away with in a nice juicy manner but i have the feeling one if not both are gonna pull some hero **** that will stink of fan service...... If Arya ends up killing the Night King with her new fancy requested weapon i swear it will ruin everything the show has ever done for me!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I enjoyed that episode.

Nice scene at the end with Jamie and Bran. Well, more the look of Jamie's face when he realised who it was.

It set things up nicely what whats to come.

I felt the dragon ride part was unnecessary and reminded me of The Neverending Story!!

Anyone else notice Cersi almost perfectly lining up with candelabrum behind her. She's the devil.

WFFS1a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Or the Night Queen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I quite enjoyed it, not an amazing episode but it ticked all the boxes as a season opener and refresher. It had to be all about reunions. The re run of the very first episode was a nice touch. I really do not want balls to the wall action all season, the big events were always strictly limited I felt and it means that they are much more special for it.

I'm not bothered at all by the CGI, I don't watch it for that, it's a bit like complaining that the girls with Bronn weren't hot enough :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The Dragon ride was definitely top 3 "Worst GOT scene ever". Absolutely awful.

You can again see that they are rushing things to try wrap everything up. Reunions seemed very rushed...Arya and the Hound, Jon and Arya, Gendry and Arya.

I did actually enjoy the episode overall, but it had some very weak spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Slydice wrote: »
    The whole episode mostly felt like setting stuff up... Who's where, who's with them, what are they doing.

The scene that stood out for me was the tense build up of the Night Watch meeting the Wildling scouting party... and then that turned in a bit more of Who's where.

anyone know where exactly that happened? And was Ed joking when he said "Look out he has blue eyes"?

Advertisement