Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

anyone know where exactly that happened? And was Ed joking when he said "Look out he has blue eyes"?

The Umber castle. Don’t know the name but it’s somewhere between the wall and Winterfell. I think it’s in the opening credits.

anyone know where exactly that happened? And was Ed joking when he said "Look out he has blue eyes"?

Last Hearth is the closest to where the Wall fell. That was the Umber stronghold and the kid on the wall was Lord Umber. Everyone who met there are on their way South.

Winterfell is actually a decent distance from the Wall compared to a couple of the other families.

I was just about to ask what was the significance with the kid on the wall. He was the young Lord that Sansa told to go back and get his men and she would provide as many horses as they could?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was just about to ask what was the significance with the kid on the wall. He was the young Lord that Sansa told to go back and get his men and she would provide as many horses as they could?

Reckon him and his army where attacked by the army of the dead ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Last Hearth is the closest to where the Wall fell. That was the Umber stronghold and the kid on the wall was Lord Umber. Everyone who met there are on their way South.

Winterfell is actually a decent distance from the Wall compared to a couple of the other families.

I missed that it was Last Hearth, I thought it was some Watch fort. It makes more sense now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Reckon him and his army where attacked by the army of the dead ??

Yep and the symbol on the wall that he was pinned to is the same symbol in the cave that Jon discovered the etchings when looking for dragonglass in Season 7, the same layout of the bodies that Mance and Jon found of the dead Night Watch members in Season 3 as well as one of the scenes in Season 6 when the Three Eyed Raven showed Brann how the White Walkers came to be.

Was hoping the writing would pick up after last season just taking a nosedive..
    Not to be by the looks of things..
    Once they started making jokes, it was all downhill from there..
    Ah well..quite sad really, but shur what can you do..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dragons ✓
    Tits ✓

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Also... "shoot Jamie with this crossbow if you see him".
    Wut.
    Shoot Tyrion with this crossbow if you see him.
    The same crossbow Tyrion used to kill Tywin.

Subtlety is lost on some people here.

Thought things might have changed in the last 2 years, but nahh, same bickering over "not enough acshuunn"

Go watch Punisher if you want needless violence.

Perfect ep1 IMO, sets things up nicely. Some nice reunions too when you realise some characters haven't seen each other in years, (Bran and Jaime especially) Really highlights how each has developed independently. Also like the political intrigue with Jon and Dany as adversaries. Seems everyone is rallying to Team Jon though.
    Better to have a setup episode at the start than straight to action and nothing for 1 or 2.

My only gripe is that everyone seems very light hearted with the end of the world marching over the horizon.
    I thought we'd get a much sombre opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Thought things might have changed in the last 2 years, but nahh, same bickering over "not enough acshuunn"

I think hes pointing out the sillyness of her wanting to shoot/kill Jamie, not just Tyrion, at least thats what i got..

Also, who's complaining there wasn't enough action in the episode :confused:

• Advertisement

I was so excited for this, but in that opening scene as soon as Tyrion started making stupid forced jokes my heart sank a little.

What followed was cringey bad writing, and I’m really so disappointed. Probably the worst episode of GOT I’ve seen.

Hoping it picks up in episode 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Also... "shoot Jamie with this crossbow if you see him".
    Wut.

Perfect ep1 IMO, sets things up nicely. Some nice reunions too when you realise some characters haven't seen each other in years, (Bran and Jaime especially) Really highlights how each has developed independently. Also like the political intrigue with Jon and Dany as adversaries. Seems everyone is rallying to Team Jon though.
    Better to have a setup episode at the start than straight to action and nothing for 1 or 2.

My only gripe is that everyone seems very light hearted with the end of the world marching over the horizon.
    I thought we'd get a much sombre opening.

Jaysus you're very sharp to pick up on that oh so subtle reference to the fact that the crossbow was used to kill Tywin. Really creative, intelligent, witty writing, wasn't it? Thanks for helping out with figuring out the significance of the whole thing.

I think you're the one who got lost here to be honest...

Redriddick wrote: »
    One thing,.........where is Brienne??

She was at the Winterfell council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Jaysus you're very sharp to pick up on that oh so subtle reference to the fact that the crossbow was used to kill Tywin. Really creative, intelligent, witty writing, wasn't it? Thanks for helping out with figuring out the significance of the whole thing.

I think you're the one who got lost here to be honest...
    Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Aye that's all fair enough, but this wasn't a good episode. The writing was very weak. I'm pretty meh on the battle scenes, much prefer the intrigue and the conversation of early seasons. But this whole episode lacked any sort of oomph or believability for me. Some examples:

- Bran straight away says the dead dragon is now in control of the NK and nobody acknowledges this

They smash cut straight to a meeting of all the house leaders. That was to convey the urgency. Bran's point was that they didn't have time for the formalities, which were immediately stopped in favour of a heated meeting. Did you want to see them say "ooh" and "ahh" in reaction to what he said?
    - Dany is worried the dragons aren't eating properly for 10 seconds and then decides to piss about on a magic carpet romance ride

It's a pretty big deal that Jon can be accepted as Rhaegal's dragon rider...
    - Dany and Jon have no chemistry whatsoever. I don't buy it

Aaaaaand everyone is iffy about their relationship. Sam is encouraging Jon to usurp her. Are you not able to read context like? They're not trying to make the aunt and nephew having sex seem heartwarming. The entire episode was people raising concerns about Dany. Did you miss that and just see it as a love story badly told?!
    - Tyrion is an idiot now. I don't buy it

Actually his logic is pretty solid. Cersei's plan of "let them deal with the dead, then we'll deal with them" is the dumb plan, which is consistent with her plans which place sadism before practicality and she suffers as a result (e.g. indirectly causing the death of her children). Sansa understands this better. Tyrion judges people by his own standards but doesn't account for idiocy. There's also a good chance he made a deal with her we don't know about, i.e. that her child can be named successor to the Iron Throne, and as he's said before he trusts people's self-interest. That's an intelligent way of looking at things, but he's not accounting for how far gone Cersei is.
    - Bran is too robotic. The previous 3-eyed raven still had personality, I don't see why Bran doesn't

"You must finish your training now."
    "But I'm not ready."
    "No."

Yeah the previous Three-Eyed Raven was mad bantz.
    - Jon acts as if Arya should still be 12, never having used Needle and still bickering with Sansa. It's so dumb. I don't buy it

Actually it's really normal for family's to fall back into previous family dynamics no matter how much time is passed. Arya and Sansa were bickering just two episodes ago. And most children have never murdered someone, all safe enough assumptions by Jon.

The characters don't watch the show like. He hasn't seen her Faceless Men training and she was missing and assumed dead for years. He got a raven scroll informing him that she'd returned, that was the limit of his Arya info, and as we've established they didn't have time for a full family catch-up (you gave out about this already).

It'd be poor writing if he started asking her how Jaq'en was.
    - Bronn accepting the mission. Kinda undoes all his character progression the last 7 seasons. Don't buy it.

Has he?? We don't know that yet! What I saw was a Lannister soldier waiting outside with a sword and a crossbow, while Bronn was literally just having sex and quite vulnerable, if he didn't accept the mission.
    - Euron.

The character from the books you claimed were responsible for when it was 'good'?
    - 90 second Greyjoy rescue. Don't buy it.

I'm not big on the Theon storyline so give me 90 seconds of it and them just getting that over with rather than a running thread throughout the series.

I'm sorry but your idea of what constitutes a good TV show doesn't seem to fall into line with mine. Loads more Theon, Bran having the banter, Bronn getting killed because he says "No! These are my friends and though once I was a petty sellsword, now I have developed as a character and do not accept your mission sir!", everyone standing around acknowledging what's been said with unnecessary dialogue to spell out that, yes, they understand what has just been said...that all sounds awful man, sorry. I'm gonna stick with Benioff and Weiss ahead of Flourescence from boards if that's alright with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bran's chair?

Doesn't seem like the type that he can move himself.

Does he have a mover who just leaves him in various places around the castle? I've never once seen Bran move it himself.

The dragon riding scene was outright stupid. What was the concern about them not eating? I thought her intention was to fly them to some plentiful source of food or something.. instead she decided she needed the ride while they watched.

Weird character arc for Dany... From a very strong character to a bit of a gushing teenager.. she's lost a bit of depth.

Well I enjoyed it!

Torn on whether I enjoyed the Ed Sheeran reference (given what was said and the safe assumption it was him) or whether I never wanted to hear about it again!

Torn on whether I enjoyed the Ed Sheeran reference (given what was said and the safe assumption it was him) or whether I never wanted to hear about it again!

Must have missed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

lawred2 wrote: »

Weird character arc for Dany... From a very strong character to a bit of a gushing teenager.. she's lost a bit of depth.

Didn't think it was weird at all. Being strong doesn't mean you're immune to the effects of falling in love. We've all turned into gushing teenagers at one point when we've been around someone we fancy or are developing feelings for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

leggo wrote: »
    They smash cut straight to a meeting of all the house leaders. That was to convey the urgency. Bran's point was that they didn't have time for the formalities, which were immediately stopped in favour of a heated meeting. Did you want to see them say "ooh" and "ahh" in reaction to what he said?

It's a pretty big deal that Jon can be accepted as Rhaegal's dragon rider...

Aaaaaand everyone is iffy about their relationship. Sam is encouraging Jon to usurp her. Are you not able to read context like? They're not trying to make the aunt and nephew having sex seem heartwarming. The entire episode was people raising concerns about Dany. Did you miss that and just see it as a love story badly told?!

Actually his logic is pretty solid. Cersei's plan of "let them deal with the dead, then we'll deal with them" is the dumb plan, which is consistent with her plans which place sadism before practicality and she suffers as a result (e.g. indirectly causing the death of her children). Sansa understands this better. Tyrion judges people by his own standards but doesn't account for idiocy. There's also a good chance he made a deal with her we don't know about, i.e. that her child can be named successor to the Iron Throne, and as he's said before he trusts people's self-interest. That's an intelligent way of looking at things, but he's not accounting for how far gone Cersei is.

"You must finish your training now."
    "But I'm not ready."
    "No."

Yeah the previous Three-Eyed Raven was mad bantz.

Actually it's really normal for family's to fall back into previous family dynamics no matter how much time is passed. Arya and Sansa were bickering just two episodes ago. And most children have never murdered someone, all safe enough assumptions by Jon.

The characters don't watch the show like. He hasn't seen her Faceless Men training and she was missing and assumed dead for years. He got a raven scroll informing him that she'd returned, that was the limit of his Arya info, and as we've established they didn't have time for a full family catch-up (you gave out about this already).

It'd be poor writing if he started asking her how Jaq'en was.

Has he?? We don't know that yet! What I saw was a Lannister soldier waiting outside with a sword and a crossbow, while Bronn was literally just having sex and quite vulnerable, if he didn't accept the mission.

The character from the books you claimed were responsible for when it was 'good'?

I'm not big on the Theon storyline so give me 90 seconds of it and them just getting that over with rather than a running thread throughout the series.

I'm sorry but your idea of what constitutes a good TV show doesn't seem to fall into line with mine. Loads more Theon, Bran having the banter, Bronn getting killed because he says "No! These are my friends and though once I was a petty sellsword, now I have developed as a character and do not accept your mission sir!", everyone standing around acknowledging what's been said with unnecessary dialogue to spell out that, yes, they understand what has just been said...that all sounds awful man, sorry. I'm gonna stick with Benioff and Weiss ahead of Flourescence from boards if that's alright with you.

Great post... But you must admit the dragon ride was a bit dragged out and ott. Brans scenes are very frustrating too....how he speaks coupled with the silence acceptance each time. Will someone just ask him "how da hell you know this? Anything else?" I suppose there'd be no story otherwise. It is frustrating watching it though, imo.

Also what are the limits of Bran's powers? How can anyone have any plans or schemes when he can see all?

Must have missed that

One of the girls with Bronn mentions, when talking about Lannister soldiers, how a ginger-haired soldier, named "Eddie", had his face burnt off in the skirmish. And no longer has any eyelids.

One of the girls with Bronn mentions, when talking about Lannister soldiers, how a ginger-haired soldier, named "Eddie", had his face burnt off in the skirmish. And no longer has any eyelids.

Delighted.. the prick..

pity we didn't get to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

no.8 wrote: »
    Oh calm down will you. Nothing suggests Arya has 'gone to ****' in The last 2 seasons, anything but in my eyes. It was a necessary episode. Would be hollow going right into a full on war with the dead.

Everybodies wishes will not be met all the time

I don't understand why she is still so robotic. That distant, traumatised, faceless man, suspicious thing she did when she came back to Winterfell. I doesn't make sense anymore for her to be acting weird around people.

Gendry is alive, the Hound, Jon and Sansa, Bran, and she herself survived. She rejected the faceless men in the end, so I don't get why she isn't happy.

jebidiah wrote: »
    I don't understand why she is still so robotic. That distant, traumatised, faceless man, suspicious thing she did when she came back to Winterfell. I doesn't make sense anymore for her to be acting weird around people.

Gendry is alive, the Hound, Jon and Sansa, Bran, and she herself survived. She rejected the faceless men in the end, so I don't get why she isn't happy.

Because that is her personality now. Not only has she gone through some serious sh!t, she did so during her teens. She's rightly fu(ked in the head, I'm amazed that she is even functioning TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Also what are the limits of Bran's powers? How can anyone have any plans or schemes when he can see all?

He can see all. So whatever scheme works out the best he'll let it play out. Kinda like Dr Strange in Infinity Wars, seeing only the one good timeline where it all works out. My guess at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The Dragon ride was a bit long but there was an importance to it. The northerners are suspicious of this new golden haired foreign leader and her 2 monsters. Their King has bent the knee, they're angry, disgruntled and feel short handed after investing in Jon.

Jon Snow swooping over Winterfell in full display of the lords, ladys, advisors and small folk on the back of Rhaegal was also a display of unity between their old King and this new ruler. An act of equality and trust.

The flight shows how faster and stronger in the sky Drogon is, how comfortable dany is as a rider. But it also shows how Jon knows the landscape of the North better, knows where lovely hidden waterfalls are.

The swooping off to the waterfall may feel like timewasting but its a reminder of their romantic feeling towards each other which I predict will become strained over the next 5 episodes where the dragon riders could turn on each other and another dragon flight may take place that may have a lot more at stake.

Advertisement