Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Thanks swoofer that did the trick.
    I would never have found it without your help

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’s the second one you need it will be in settings somewhere not as a plugin .

Found it. The box came preset with the metrixHD skin which seemed to not show it after the install so reset to the default skin and was able to setup from there.

Still need a decent skin though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Found it. The box came preset with the metrixHD skin which seemed to not show it after the install so reset to the default skin and was able to setup from there.

Still need a decent skin though :)

Have you tried slyk onyx?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

DopeTech wrote: »
    Have you tried slyk onyx?

Bit dark for me but that’s a good shout

Kaiser the link I gave you there should be a forum there with a number of skins

I haven’t found anywhere better personally

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Abominable JoMan

I'm not too experienced with these things but I got this box last week, using OpenATV 6.4 and the Slyk 1080 skin. Have Crossepg and autoboutiques set up after reading how via this thread (thanks guys!).
    But I'm just wondering what do people do as regards turning off/leaving on stand by or plugging out? Every night, out of habit, I always turn everything fully off (including the on/off on the back of this box) and then flick off the switch on the socket on the wall.

What I've noticed though is when I turn on this box, sometimes it gets stuck on the 'boot' section, and I have to turn it on and off again for it to successfully boot up. Just wondering has anyone else experienced this, or does everyone just leave things on standby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

If you continue you will kill the box, you are performing a hard re-boot by turning off at wall. Leave it in standby using remote, make sure it is well ventilated.

cmon arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Abominable JoMan

Cheers thanks! Great finish by Aubameyang there!

My box actually froze (sound, but picture frozen and box not responding) at the start of the second half on BBC One HD, wonder is it linked to turning off on the wall at night...Might rescan later and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I'm not too experienced with these things but I got this box last week, using OpenATV 6.4 and the Slyk 1080 skin. Have Crossepg and autoboutiques set up after reading how via this thread (thanks guys!).
    But I'm just wondering what do people do as regards turning off/leaving on stand by or plugging out? Every night, out of habit, I always turn everything fully off (including the on/off on the back of this box) and then flick off the switch on the socket on the wall.

What I've noticed though is when I turn on this box, sometimes it gets stuck on the 'boot' section, and I have to turn it on and off again for it to successfully boot up. Just wondering has anyone else experienced this, or does everyone just leave things on standby?

Mine gives me an electric shock when I put my hand in the back. It's like it's giving me a kiss goodnight.

I tend not to bother turning it off anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Looking for some help. So i scanned both saorview and FTA. all channels showing up in the EPG but only the Saorview ones are working when i click on them. Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Irishder wrote: »
    .. all channels showing up in the EPG but only the Saorview ones are working when i click on them. Any ideas?

Did you get them working? Maybe it's a loose cable from the dish. Check the cables and do a satellite scan again. Make sure you are trying to view a free to air channel.

Flex

• Advertisement

Has anyone installed the Kodi plugin on their Zgemma?

I installed Kodi 18.7 from the plugin feed on to OpenVix 5.3

It runs pretty well and plays mp4 movies fine. But when I try to make it play movies I recorded from the TV that are in .ts format they only play for a few seconds then the screen freezes.

These .ts files play just fine when I press "File List" on the remote and use the OpenVix media player.

I connected the usb drive with the .ts files to a raspberry pi running a dedicated Kodi OS called OSMC and it plays the .ts files just fine.

Can someone test if a .ts file will play for them using Kodi on the Zgemma?

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Did you get them working? Maybe it's a loose cable from the dish. Check the cables and do a satellite scan again. Make sure you are trying to view a free to air channel.

Flex

Yeah got it going thanks. Ran ABM and that sorted it. All good now

I figured out how to get Kodi to play .ts files on my Zgemma H7S.

The executive summary is you have to install ffmpeg/exteplayer3 and configure that as the default enigma2 media player using a third plugin called: serviceapp. Then you tell Kodi what is the default enigma2 media player by editing...
    /usr/share/kodi/system/advancedsettings.xml
    and
    /usr/share/kodi/system/playercorefactory.xml

Anyone need info about this I'm happy to share my experience.

Flex

I figured out how to get Kodi to play .ts files on my Zgemma H7S.

The executive summary is you have to install ffmpeg/exteplayer3 and configure that as the default enigma2 media player using a third plugin called: serviceapp. Then you tell Kodi what is the default enigma2 media player by editing...
    /usr/share/kodi/system/advancedsettings.xml
    and
    /usr/share/kodi/system/playercorefactory.xml

Anyone need info about this I'm happy to share my experience.

Flex

something i need to look into as well, but i think you have given the info above, ill give it a try!

on reflection, what are the entries you need to make to the xml files?

Cyrus wrote: »
    what are the entries you need to make to the xml files?

I made a thread about it on the WoS forum and the Kodi forum too. No one seems to be aware of the issue or care very much!

I didn't do alot of testing but initially Kodi was only playing .mp4 files and then after updating to exteplayer3 .ts files played too. It's a bit of work but if you want to create your own movie library then Kodi is really great to organise it with poster artwork and plot summaries. You can search your library from a web interface.

Maybe I was missing something. Did you get Kodi running and did it freeze when you tried to play a .ts file?

Cheers,

Flex

I made a thread about it on the WoS forum and the Kodi forum too. No one seems to be aware of the issue or care very much!

I didn't do alot of testing but initially Kodi was only playing .mp4 files and then after updating to exteplayer3 .ts files played too. It's a bit of work but if you want to create your own movie library then Kodi is really great to organise it with poster artwork and plot summaries. You can search your library from a web interface.

Maybe I was missing something. Did you get Kodi running and did it freeze when you tried to play a .ts file?

Cheers,

Flex

I’m having an issue where’s it not playing any files from my nas but it’s to do with the external player aswell so hoping this may help!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Does the H7s box accept a 3.5" hdd fitted internally or only 2.5" size?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

@mehico "Does the H7s box accept a 3.5" hdd fitted internally or only 2.5" size?"
    Only 2.5in internal

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

I've installed Kodi on my H7s and scraped my movie folderfrom an external drive successfully.
    I can see thumbnails but no information/synopsis of any movie is displayed.
    There is a .kodi file stored on the internal hard drive of many GBs where I presume all this data is stored.
    I cannot see any way to access this data.
    On my cheap streaming box all this data is stored on internal flash memory and is instantly accessed.
    Has anybody experienced this and fixed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

Hi all,
    Took the leap recently and bought one of these, this guide has been a great help getting started on it, problem I have is the remote. My tv is above a fireplace with the box in a shelf behind it that is facing 90° away the tv. The sky box always picked remote signal no bother but the zgemma doesn’t. Have I other options? I saw an app ZG remote, is anyone using this?

• Advertisement

Some people have bought replacement one for all remotes that can be programmed to work like the Zgemma remote and whose IR gives a wider arc.

You could also put an enigma2 remote control app on your phone.

Maybe the best solution in this case is to get an IR extender kit.. it's just easier controlling the box with a remote.

Flex

Hi all,
    Took the leap recently and bought one of these, this guide has been a great help getting started on it, problem I have is the remote. My tv is above a fireplace with the box in a shelf behind it that is facing 90° away the tv. The sky box always picked remote signal no bother but the zgemma doesn’t. Have I other options? I saw an app ZG remote, is anyone using this?

That's probably my biggest gripe with this machine. I feel like I need to attach a scope to get enough accuracy for it to work... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hs5424

Forget all the above.
    Remove the IR receiver diode. Wire it outside the box using 3 core cable. It's not rocket science. Place it where the remote can see it maybe at the bottom of the TV.

Thanks hs for that suggestion, I might try that out if what I just did doesn’t do good enough.

I felt the remote was poor even if you were standing straight in front of it so wasn’t rushing out to buy something. Instead I took apart the remote and noticed how thick the glass on the front was so got the drill out and made a hole in it, it is working 100 times better now

Instead I took apart the remote and noticed how thick the glass on the front was so got the drill out and made a hole in it, it is working 100 times better now

A drill or an angle grinder? :P

bfa1509 wrote: »
    A drill or an angle grinder? :P

I may have started a bit on the low side 😂

I did the same some years ago on a remote for an Irish made TV.
    Can anyone name the TV make.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭decor58

hs5424 wrote: »
    I did the same some years ago on a remote for an Irish made TV.
    Can anyone name the TV make.

Deise?.

decor58 wrote: »
    Deise?.

Correct.
    Top marks to that man.
    It was badged 'Daysha' and made by Casey Electronics in Co Waterford. The late Sean Casey was the company owner. Still in business today, however they no longer manufacture TV's. Cheap Chineese imports took care of that. The Daysha used a good quality Mullard CRT and Phillips chip set.
    There was also a set made here and badged by a few different companies. One being called ''Armstrong'' which was sold by Armstrong Electronics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So it's been a few weeks with the box but I am very happy with it and have it setup just as I want it now . Took a while but got there :)

I have a question though.. So the Web TV interface allows you to watch/stream TV through the browser and you can export individual channel playlist files to open in Potplayer (in my case - tho I'm sure VLC would work too) - but, is there a way to export the whole list or use an external player to interface with the box.

Basically I'm thinking SkyGo functionality but using this hardware. Then all I'd need to do is open the relevant ports on the firewall and I can watch TV from anywhere :)

Advertisement