Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I switched from OpenATV to OpenVix over the weekend via USB (make sure you use the Recovery image on their site as this caught me out and it wouldn't boot from the USB with the other)

It reset everything so a bit of work was needed to get all back up and running the way I wanted it but I'm happy with the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭swoofer

Better info above but was going to mention about password. And click on guides and tutorials at site for image.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I switched from OpenATV to OpenVix.. via USB.. It reset everything..

Only need to use the USB method with a recovery image if the box has gotten seriously messed up.

The Zgemma H7S lets you have up to four images on the box at the same time.

From OpenATV > Software Management > Flash Online you can flash an image you have saved on the Zgemma somewhere into a separate slot and leave the existing one untouched.

As Gerry described you can make a settings backup from one image and restore to another... afaik that also works across different images: OpenVix to OpenATV or to PurE2 and vica versa.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Use dreambox edit first to backup all your channels. You can edit them with this tool also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I just got one of these boxes and it came with Open atv installed, should I start with that?
    Also I need to install a hdd, I have few old ones lying around and a ssd and a portable, which one is best?

• Advertisement

loopymum wrote: »
    I just got one of these boxes and it came with Open atv installed, should I start with that?
    Also I need to install a hdd, I have few old ones lying around and a ssd and a portable, which one is best?

I used a 256GB SSD in mine. Works fine

Mine came with OpenATV too and it's perfectly stable. I switched to OpenVix over the weekend more out of curiosity but there'd very little difference in practise from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

SSD has the advantage of being silent. openATV has a nicer choice of skins IMO but otherwise is pretty much the same as Vix to the average user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

anything interesting in the openvix update?
    i installed it but can't see any obvious changes

Haven't spotted anything yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

must check what image is on my box as cant mount my new 4tb cloud nas as it throws up and error and reboots.

• Advertisement

anything interesting in the openvix update?
    i installed it but can't see any obvious changes

Minor update..
    Just noticed miniDLNA wasn't enabled. Had to start it manually. Otherwise nothing jumping out at me.

when you press left or right on the circle on the remote while watching something

the info that pops up wasn't there before was it?

maybe it was and i hadn't noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just run backup first. After you flash the new image it will detect the backup and offer to restore your settings which includes bouquets, timers, autotimers etc etc. Rather than using USB I copied the new image directly to the HDD as its faster. Simply put the downloaded file (openvix-5.4.001.release-zgemmah7_usb.zip) in /hdd/imagebackups. No need to unzip it first.

The whole process should only take ~5mins
    Oh my goodness. That is so much easier than the way I was looking into it. Flashed and all my problems with package management are gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Got up and running with OpenATV a couple of weeks ago. Was much easier than anticipated thanks to this thread, only took 2 maybe 3 hours, so just want to say thank you folks. I'm enjoying tinkering with it actually.

Cheers

Kannon wrote: »
    Got up and running with OpenATV a couple of weeks ago. Was much easier than anticipated thanks to this thread, only took 2 maybe 3 hours, so just want to say thank you folks. I'm enjoying tinkering with it actually.

Cheers

.... and of course YOU DID make a backup didn't you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I have a ZGemma S7 and I'm happy with my Favourites list and all the settings.

If I want to transfer those settings, channel order etc to another ZGemma S7, can I save a back-up file to a usb stick and run that into the new box? Would it replicate everythng?

Thanks.

If I want to transfer those settings, channel order etc to another ZGemma S7, can I save a back-up file to a usb stick and run that into the new box? Would it replicate everythng?

Thanks.

i'd imagine so, gerry the legend will be able to tell you for sure though

Thanks.

If you are running Vix guess what, make a backup and look in HDD/BACKUP for a file with the appropriate date stamp E.G. vix-rel-5.4.001-20201023-0722.tar.gz
    That contains all your settings, timers, autotimers, bouquets,the lot. You can copy that to any other box you like. If you are really paranoid you could even keep a copy elsewhere.
    If using openATV the folder is hdd/backup_openatv_zgemmah7 and file name will also be date stamped. From memory the most recent file is simply called enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz without a time stamp but that might have changed from openATV 6.4 as they were messing with such things.
    Either way, these are just compressed files like a windows zip file and you could extract individual files such as a favourites list if you really had to get down and dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Thanks a million! Very helpful as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

.... and of course YOU DID make a backup didn't you. :)

Yes, as I soon as I did anything material I backed it up ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the default root FTP password is on the OpenVix image? Have tried blank, root and a few others but no joy.

While I have ye :) How does one scan/add a specific channel on this image without going through a full scan. I've tried a manual scan but it defaults the satellite to 11E (not t the box at the minute but I'm almost sure that's it) and doesn't seem to let you change it to Astra 28E?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭swoofer

Have you just set up box and is it openvix 5.4? Under tuner configuration you select sats and save, may be green button.

Anyone know what the default root FTP password is on the OpenVix image? Have tried blank, root and a few others but no joy.

While I have ye :) How does one scan/add a specific channel on this image without going through a full scan. I've tried a manual scan but it defaults the satellite to 11E (not t the box at the minute but I'm almost sure that's it) and doesn't seem to let you change it to Astra 28E?

Cheers

i had a problem with the password too with the new openvix update

just set a password in network and it should work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

I noticed the other day that they haven't updated Vix for Zgemma since July. Kinda worrying.

Hi Gerry,
    Wondering if updates are still issuing? I am thinking of purchasing a zgemma from WOS and plan on having it for a good few years. Anywhere to source an image/skin with saorview/astra 28.2 as well as 13e, 19.2 and 23.5 specifically as plan on using it with my motorised dish and starting from scratch scanning all in and setting up usals seems daunting.
    Excellent thread and thanks to all contributors.

Cheers

Hi Gerry,
    Wondering if updates are still issuing? I am thinking of purchasing a zgemma from WOS and plan on having it for a good few years. Anywhere to source an image/skin with saorview/astra 28.2 as well as 13e, 19.2 and 23.5 specifically as plan on using it with my motorised dish and starting from scratch scanning all in and setting up usals seems daunting.
    Excellent thread and thanks to all contributors.

The latest Vix version on offer is 10th Oct v5.4.001
    I was never a fan of the motorised concept for daily use. I have a multiLNB setup for 9, 13, 19 and 28 via a multiswitch. This means all rooms can access all satellites and Saorview at the same time.

Agree with Gerry, fixed dishes is my preference also. Its very cheap to setup and reliable. I have one dish covering 13 & 19, another pointing at 30w and one for 28e. No waiting for motor to swing dish around etc etc. I take my 28e into my house and workshop on fibre as I require a lot of feeds from 28 for testing and around the house also.

hs5424 wrote: »

Tried that but no joy

As refusetolose suggested, I had to set a PW in the network settings and that sorted it. Seems to be something with the latest update (possibly because I clean installed it rather than upgraded from an older version)

on the older dreamboxes if my memory is correct I used to telnet in and change from there. There was also a tool for doing the job. I mention this because I still use some of the dreambox stuff like dreamboxedit to sort out my channel plans on all E2 boxes. I don't use any of the stuff like auto bouquet maker ( or whatever its called ). The less stuff you put on these boxes the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Abominable JoMan

I've had this box a few months now, largely without issue and I'm generally pretty happy with it. However at the start I had an issue where the picture would freeze, the box would become unresponsive but the audio would continue to play in the background. The only way out of this was to perform a hard reboot using the on/off button at the back of the box.

I could go 2 weeks without it happening once then it might happen 3 times in 2 days.

I did my own bit of digging and found that memory usage was quite high. This was surprising as I have no extra add ons installed except your standard epg and sly skin. Also running openATV.

I then installed the cacheflush plugin and set it to run on an automatic schedule at the highest settings. Again this has seemed to largely solve the problem, but I'm still hit with random bouts of the box freezing and being unresponsive. While not a massive issue, it's actually just a bit disappointing if I'm honest.

Just wondering has anyone come across something similar or have a solution?

Thanks

Advertisement