Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

• 08-04-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

After taking the decision to get rid of cable I took the plunge and bought a Sat box. I was going to buy a Tiviar Alpha Plus due to its support on here but they were sold out at world of satellite and they suggested the Zgemma as it had similar specs.

Here is my guide to anyone new to the Sat world after getting this box . I hope it will help get through the initial frustration and hurdles you have to overcome. The H7S is relatively new so it's not discussed as much as the alpha plus but with the same software installed most guides can be used for both. I think the alpha would be equally challenging to set up. It takes time and patience and reading so be prepared for a bit of work but it's very satisfying in the end.
    Some of this will be obvious to Sat heads but it's meant as a guide for beginners like I was who have some knowledge of the basics. This is from memory so excuse any vagueness of detail.

Here are the main things I learned..

1. To get Saoirview and Uk channels on the same epg listing you need to scan Saoirview 1st then do a second scan of the UK channels ensuring that the option to delete any previous scans is switched off. By doing that you mesh the two together so they can be gathered in the auto bouquets. (This took me ages to figure out!)

2. To install a skin easily you can put the downloaded skin found on the net on a usb and put it in the usb slot while live TV is playing (without any menu open). That will get a prompt to install the skin. If that does not work a plugin like Dreambox found in the plugin section will show all the folders in the sat box and the USB drive can be found and opened to try the install. If that does not work you need to connet a PC and use software like Filezilla to access files on the box from a PC. It's quite easily done if you follow the online guides.

3. A lot of people want the SkyNEW skin for the sky feel (without the sky channels of course!) and it does work but be warned it will prob make your epg crash every time you try and use it. To fix that you need to download a patch file to repair it. Dont install that skin unless you are prepared for that. You will need prob to connect a PC to do that and put it in the correct folder as per the instructions from where it easily found in a google search in places such as techkings etc. You might have to register an email to download these but there's no fee. It looks good when fixed but to be honest other skins are better that the sky menu which is comforting at first but you might feel it unnecessary and lacking functionality after a bit, but that's a personal preference.

Once you get it set up to your requirements its a great machine and very fast with a super picture so it's highly recommended. I hope this helps someone!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garymt

Skins - I found the Blue HD skin provided (OpenVix) gives a suitable Sky feel, as far as I can see...

Recordings - Have you found any way round "clashes" when recording 2 sequential programs on same channel? Have you found this to be an issue?

Remote - any issues with CEC? I find it wont wake TV if its been shut down for long time/overnight - have to use TV remote.

Remote - My wife doesn't find remote very intuitive to use - toying with idea of universal remote...... currently I'm of the opinion that relabelling remote is less hassle!

Overall, very pleased, although I haven't burrowed too deeply under the surface - I'll wait until the novelty wears off!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

I don't know if this helps (and I can't remember where I saw it) but you can change the default number of minutes a recording will add to the start and end points to better suit.

Might sort your issue.

I think mine was set to at least 5 minutes either way, so a 8pm - 9pm recording would start at 7.55 and end at 9.05.

Changed mine to zero. I guess only an issue if you're recording Saorview on different muxes (as it only has one DBV-T2 tuner).

I read that some usb tv tuners now have drivers for this box and can be plugged in to give you 2 DVB-T2 tuners.... so maybe another avenue?

Hope this helps a bit.... if you can't find it I'll check on my box at home where the option to edit the pre / post added minutes to recordings.

Now if anyone knows how to make Saorview / Digital / Ordinary Teletext work that'd be cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ewalsh39

basemann wrote: »
    After taking the decision to get rid of cable I took the plunge and bought a Sat box. I was going to buy a Tiviar Alpha Plus due to its support on here but they were sold out at world of satellite and they suggested the Zgemma as it had similar specs.

Here is my guide to anyone new to the Sat world after getting this box . I hope it will help get through the initial frustration and hurdles you have to overcome. The H7S is relatively new so it's not discussed as much as the alpha plus but with the same software installed most guides can be used for both. I think the alpha would be equally challenging to set up. It takes time and patience and reading so be prepared for a bit of work but it's very satisfying in the end.
    Some of this will be obvious to Sat heads but it's meant as a guide for beginners like I was who have some knowledge of the basics. This is from memory so excuse any vagueness of detail.

Here are the main things I learned..

1. To get Saoirview and Uk channels on the same epg listing you need to scan Saoirview 1st then do a second scan of the UK channels ensuring that the option to delete any previous scans is switched off. By doing that you mesh the two together so they can be gathered in the auto bouquets. (This took me ages to figure out!)

2. To install a skin easily you can put the downloaded skin found on the net on a usb and put it in the usb slot while live TV is playing (without any menu open). That will get a prompt to install the skin. If that does not work a plugin like Dreambox found in the plugin section will show all the folders in the sat box and the USB drive can be found and opened to try the install. If that does not work you need to connet a PC and use software like Filezilla to access files on the box from a PC. It's quite easily done if you follow the online guides.

3. A lot of people want the SkyNEW skin for the sky feel (without the sky channels of course!) and it does work but be warned it will prob make your epg crash every time you try and use it. To fix that you need to download a patch file to repair it. Dont install that skin unless you are prepared for that. You will need prob to connect a PC to do that and put it in the correct folder as per the instructions from where it easily found in a google search in places such as techkings etc. You might have to register an email to download these but there's no fee. It looks good when fixed but to be honest other skins are better that the sky menu which is comforting at first but you might feel it unnecessary and lacking functionality after a bit, but that's a personal preference.

Once you get it set up to your requirements its a great machine and very fast with a super picture so it's highly recommended. I hope this helps someone!:)

Hi basemann

Can you explain in more detail
    on how you sorted the issue outlined in point 1 above?

I'm in the same situation I can scan and add both feeds but they are not showing in the unified epg

Thanks
    Enda

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Ewalsh39 wrote: »
    Hi basemann

I'm in the same situation I can scan and add both feeds but they are not showing in the unified epg

Thanks
    Enda

Just got my box today- another Enda having the same issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ewalsh39 wrote: »
    Hi basemann

Thanks
    Enda
    I had this issue originally - do you have CrossEPG installed on the box? That resolved it for me.

FTA and Saorview show in the one EPG. Although some channels only show Now/Next (Channel4 HD and BBC2 NI HD, specifically), but everything else is 7 day EPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I ran into same issue, I got my H7S on Monday. My way of fixing it might not be the correct way or easiest way, but it worked for me:
    1. Run autobouquetsmaker. I ended up with my channels lovely for Sat and lovely for Saorview, but they didn't appear on same list.
    2. Download and install E-Channeliser: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46294-PC-APP-E-Channelizer
    3. Run it and import settings from the Zgemma
    4. I created a new favourite called "All". I then went to the favourite for Saorview and copied them all into All. I added Hidden markers to make sure the channel numbers were correct.
    5. I then copied the sat channels in, again adding hidden markers to have the channel numbers start at 101 and then continue with whatever channel ordering you want.

I haven't had a proper chance to review this, my wife was watching netflix last night, but seems to be okay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I had this issue originally - do you have CrossEPG installed on the box? That resolved it for me.

FTA and Saorview show in the one EPG. Although some channels only show Now/Next (Channel4 HD and BBC2 NI HD, specifically), but everything else is 7 day EPG

The default EPG uses the Freesat database which is why there is no Channel4 HD or CNN HD data. They are not on Freesat. CrossEPG uses other sources ;) for its feeds.

After spending about 10hrs, feel like I’m finally getting there with this box!

One thing which set me back was setting up favourites bouquet via openwebif, as openwebif was not working. (Worked one night out of three).

I can see my box is connected to the router(by logging into my router). I can also see box IP address under menu-information-network (http://192.168.1.2/) , with a green tick. However, openwebif is not working when I try to access the box from a laptop. Tried resetting network connection on the zgemma box but still not working.. appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks!

emclau wrote: »
    After spending about 10hrs, feel like I’m finally getting there with this box!

One thing which set me back was setting up favourites bouquet via openwebif, as openwebif was not working. (Worked one night out of three).

I can see my box is connected to the router(by logging into my router). I can also see box IP address under menu-information-network (http://192.168.1.2/) , with a green tick. However, openwebif is not working when I try to access the box from a laptop. Tried resetting network connection on the zgemma box but still not working.. appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks!

Raised a ticket with WoS on above- tried the dongle on my laptop so think it’s not that...

Really annoying - I can connect for about a minute then I have to wait a couple of hours to reconnect again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The default EPG uses the Freesat database which is why there is no Channel4 HD or CNN HD data. They are not on Freesat. CrossEPG uses other sources ;) for its feeds.
    Thanks so much for the help. Fiddling around with settings, it seems using another source in CrossEPG helped. Full 7 day EPG and Saorview / FTA in one list. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've just bought a Zgemma H9.2H - has one of each receiver and built in wifi.
    I eventually got it flashed with OpenATV 6.3 and installed Wooshbuild infinity.

I'm happy with it now, but setting up was a bit of an ordeal. At one stage I thought I had bricked it.

It seems to be extremely sensitive to the type of USB stick used.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm setting up one of these now, came across a whoosh build to pop onto it. Haven't been able to get kodi to start though, open atv 6.3. Seems to be a common issue, which is kind of annoying. Got my aerial installed today, so get to do some more set up this evening.

I'm also bamboozled by the saorview / satellite EPG. I can either just get saorview with auto bouquet maker, or both, but saorview channels blank.

I'll try again this evening, but suggestions welcomed. (ツ)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm also bamboozled by the saorview / satellite EPG. I can either just get saorview with auto bouquet maker, or both, but saorview channels blank.

I'll try again this evening, but suggestions welcomed. (ツ)

I ended up using echannelizer to create a new bouquet, copying the saorview and satellite bouquets into one. So RTE1 = 1, BBC = 101.

I'll give it a go this evening, thanks

Hi
    My remote control has stopped working this evening. I’ve changed the batteries, rebooted the box etc but no success.

Is there a way to reset the remote control to factory settings/check if it’s still working? (Downloaded telly’mote app in meantime- its very good)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭soram

Wonder if anybody can help here. I got the h7s this week and it is looking good. Nearly the last thing I want is to display picons in the cooltvguide.
    I downloaded a set from High Horse and put them in hdd\picon but cooltv is not picking them up. Do I need to set a path anywhere for this or put them elsewhere?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What is the difference between this box and the Tiviar Alpha Plus?

All I want is something easy to use when I replace Sky Q......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What is the difference between this box and the Tiviar Alpha Plus?

All I want is something easy to use when I replace Sky Q......

In terms of everyday use they should be nearly the same. However, the Zgemma is 4K H265 compatible and has a more powerful processor.

In terms of everyday use they should be nearly the same. However, the Zgemma is 4K H265 compatible and has a more powerful processor.

Thanks

Can you stick app onto any of these?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks

Can you stick app onto any of these?

Thanks

Depends what you mean by apps. By default they have many many functions built in. You have the ability to control the box remotely on your home network from anything with a browser, view recordings or live channels, set timers. Series linking, live pause, IPTV and full 7 day EPG are also built in.
    You can also add a wide range of extra functions known as "plugins".

App's like Netflix/Kodi?

What sort of money should these be going for?

AFAIK Netflix is not available on any of these platforms for copyright reasons. I think Kodi is available but I can't see a need for it myself as the box already does all the same functions. (thats gonna start a row) :)

I got mine for £125GBP inc shipping.

AFAIK Netflix is not available on any of these platforms for copyright reasons. I think Kodi is available but I can't see a need for it myself as the box already does all the same functions. (thats gonna start a row) :)

I got mine for £125GBP inc shipping.

Thanks.....I am just trying to work out should I spend big money now on a decent box or buy a cheapo thing to test out if this is for me......

This is what I got including latest openATV installed and 2 day shipping. Make sure it is H7S with 2x DVB-S2 and 1xDVB-T2 tuners. They do other tuner configs with very similar model numbers which would not suit Irish use.

I opened the box again to suss out the annoying front panel. 3 layers of masking tape tamed the logo down to an acceptable lemon colour. It's a surface mounted LED so I don't want to make permanent changes yet. The display itself is only a basic 4x7 segment unit so time is about all it can manage.
    Still for the price I'm very happy with the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

£114 direct if you use parcel motel or parcel wizard

https://www.zgemma.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77&search=h7s

Does the box support a SD memory card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Does this box have any advantages over the Tiviar Alpha+

Advertisement