Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

I use the AGC measure and you should check your reading. I have an outside aerial with a masthead amp so get a super duper signal. The AGC I get with Openatv is 69% for CH 46 and 61% on CH48 but to be honest I don't take any notice as I am happy when I see the lock box with green tick. With Openvix its 73 for C46 and 70 for C48. I have a VU + DUO2 with a twin sat and twin DTT built in and this give, with Openvix 100% SNR and 99% AGC on both channels. And I use sat cables from the aerial so its screened.

Try the signal again and see the reading for AGC and are you getting a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Zardoz - I'm surprised that you lose the channels while viewing. This is obviously a different issue to what happens to me using the Play TV tuner (never when viewing, only on reboot).

Just to add - my Play TV also shows 0% SNR all of the time so it's not just you. You do get an AGC reading though (which I think is actually the SNR value being reporting as the AGC). Again, don't know why this happens but like swoofer, I'm never concerned about it. I get a green tick and a stable picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Apologies I dont lose them whilst viewing them.

If I am watching a satellite channel and switch to the DTT there is sometimes no signal.

Only way to get them back is a hard reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry guys. Not getting notifications for this thread for some reason.

Appreciate the feedback above but I'd rather an all-in-one freesat and saorview box than a USB addon. Another ZGemma but NOT a ZGemma.

I don't mind paying more if there's an all round better solution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’ve reviewed the proceeding couple days of pages of the thread and do not consider any moderator action required.

• Advertisement

Kaiser, this is the one you need but as this is the Zgemma h7s thread we cant say anymore, it may be best to start a dedicated thread. Note the price with the twin sat and dtt and no HDD!

VU+ Duo 4K SE (SELECT YOUR TUNERS) UHD 4K

its at WOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

If anyone uses crossepg on the ZgemmaH7S would you be able to confirm (or not) my experience with getting EPG data on Astra 28.2E Radio stations?

I am not getting any EPG data on several radio channels:

Heart 80s, WRN Europe, Panjab Radio, Heart Dance, EWTN Catholic, Sukh Sagar, KhushKhabri, Kiss, Magic, Hits Radio, Absolute 90s, Jazz FM, Classic Rock, Scala Radio, Heart 90s, LBC News.

Is this because they don't broadcast EPG, maybe I have not configured crossepg correctly, or is it maybe something to do with Brexit where a lot of them were taken off the Sky EPG? I can still tune them in and listen to them but curious why I don't get any epg for them.

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A quick spot check on some of them and I can confirm no EPG data. I couldn't tell you if they ever had or why it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

@_Kaiser_ whatever box you get, do please set up a thread and let us know how you get on. I've always quite fancied a VU+, but never been able to justify it!

Howsit goin' Gerry! Thanks a lot for checking. I'm gone mad with TVHeadend again, spent days in a quest for a FULL EPG on all Free to Air TV and Radio Channels. As I'm sure you know, there are three main "over-the-air" sources of epg: Sky, Freesat and Freeview. Turns out the "solutions" (crossepg and OpenTV: Sky UK) that get EPG data off the 11778V SKY transponder do not give ANY epg data on radio channels broadcasting on Astra 28.2E.

OK I didn't check all of the channels but certainly none of the ones in that list I gave above. There are other radio channels that get no epg from 11778V but if you have configured things to use the Freesat (or freeview if you can) epg then you will get epg data for some of those radio channels.

Not all radio channels are broadcast by freesat or freeview so you won't get epg on all radio channles from those sources. Not sure how many are broadcast on the Sky platform but either way it is only possible to get epg from the Sky EPG stream because someone reverse engineered a solution to extract the EPG from that stream. Except the solution is incomplete and does not extend to extracting epg for radio channels. Hence you CAN see EPG for those channels on a Sky box that has a Sky subscription but you won't get anything if tuning in those channels with a free-to-air type linux based receiver.

Been using enigma2 for nearly 10 years and never noticed that before! I guess who bothers to look at epg listings for radio stations!

Flex

• Advertisement

Yeah like most I never really paid much attn to radio. I know the likes of BBC have EPG data and RTÉ from Saorview. The only other radio I ever listened to was Newstalk on 28E which is now gone. They never had 7 day EPG.

There is no EPG for these channels on a sky box either.

Thanks for checking that swoofer. Do you mean they are not "in" the Sky EPG to select and listen to or you have manually tuned them in and even still there is no program listings for them?

All those from my list above withdrew from the SKY EPG in 2020. After Brexit they would need to pay for a license to be on the SKY EPG in Ireland because a single EU wide license was no longer enough for those UK based broadcasters.

I can still tune them in on my ZgemmaH7S (and using my minisatip/tvheadend setup) and listen to them but there are no program listings for them using the OpenTV: Sky UK tool to get EPG data. I was wondering is that because they do not broadcast EPG or is it blocked somehow in Ireland. Turns out the OpenTV: Sky grabber that extracts EPG data does not find any EPG data for those channels which I think is because it is not technically able to extract radio station epg data so that grabber could not confirm they don't broadcast EPG data or because that data is being blocked in Ireland. Would need to ask someone with a Sky subscription to manually tune in one of those channels on a Sky box and see do program listings appear. Even better someone with a Sky subscription living in the UK (so don't need to manually scan them in) to be certain if they actually broadcast any EPG data.

Cheers

Flex

Flex its a UK box and it only shows current prog info.

and same for the others. And they are on the epg ie no need to tune in. And box has a UK sub.

@swoofer

Good stuff, thanks a lot for getting that info for me! Looks like I'm not missing out on anything :)

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Currently have a Tivar and thinking of getting the Zgemma H7S. From people's experience what setup / image should I request when buying?

Any recommendations on who to purchase from.

Hello mburke,

Since Brexit you should buy from an Irish supplier as it will probably work out cheaper and easier for returns if something breaks under warranty.

I use OpenATV because overall I prefer its interface to the others. It may be a long and arduous journey but really it pays to get to know these boxes because eventually things will need to be tweaked or re-tuned etc.. and that won't be a matter of pressing a few buttons! I would get a notebook to write or type notes in to so you can learn to do things by yourself. Ideally you shouldn't request an image at all but do it yourself and if that idea horrifies you then maybe an enigma2 box is not the right choice!

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Will this box work with the sky q wideband lnb or will I have to replace the lnb on my dish.

No you will need to replace the Q LNB. It is a fairly simple job if you are anyway competent at DIY and can safely access the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly competent but the dish is attached to a chimney and I don't have a roof ladder. Think I'll just pay an installer to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask if users are still using Sky Q or not as can have an effect in what lnb is required and how many feeds are needed for other boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Apologies if this has been asked/answered previously but I could not find the answer. I may have to move my zgemma box behind a cupboard, is there any "magic-eye" solution to changing the channel?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Just wondering what is best place to buy one of the boxes? are they plug N play?

If you have an android smartphone and your box is connected to a router you can get enigma2 remote app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I bought mine from here, 132 Philipsburgh Avenue Fairview, Dublin 3

Just plug and play.

Only thing I added was download free bouquets from the Menu Seection ( Internet Connection required )

I used devolo Home Plug Adapters to connect to the internet

Channel's were already loaded so no need to do a scan and set up done with cross epg installed

I only put the box on standby when I am not using it as shuting down the power and having a hard reboot too many times can brick the box

Got a 500Gb external hard drive for a extra 30 Euro

Well worth it for recording HD program's

Hope this helps

Socks (:-)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Did you mean to say INTERNAL HDD as it has a space/slot for internal.?

• Advertisement

I have an externally powered hdd on my H7S as i had one spare and never got to fit internal hdd yet.

Advertisement