Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

This is the link to the dongle

https://www.freetv.ie/amiko-mini-hd-wifi-dongle/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@swoofer Pushing my memory here but wasn't there an issue where you had to set a root password on the box itself first or you would have network issues?

MENU>NETWORK>PASSWORD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

• He is on image 5.2 and I think the password bit came with 6 but i could be wrong. This is the chipset Chipset: Ralink RT5370
    • I checked and the driver is already in the image so that's good news.
    • Its in the download with Openatv.

leonita

Can you set a password and then try, go menu network password press ok twice and a big keyboard pops up, put in a password, a short one and save. Then try network but the encryption may need setting as that's an old usb and you may have to change it in router, it looks like wpa3 and so on.

Wha'ts the make of the router? And when in network you should see wireless and scan for networks.

Which USB slot are you using? Try the other one but front is best.

And you can do a hard reboot of box but pressing white switch at rear.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Did you go into your network settings to see if wifi is enabled and cable lan is disabled.

Home plugs are another way if on the same ring as lan is sent through your electricity 13amp plug and other room has a plug with lan cable going to ring.

I've tried to set a password but can't save it there doesn't seem to be a save option.

It's a vodafone gigabox.

I've tried both usb slots at the back

• Advertisement

And I just checked my box and there is no usb at front!! to do password use the remote keys like old text phone and then press green. go slow

I am out for a bit but may get a chance to try a dongle in the box I have in use, not mine but i can sneak in. I have same router as you so we may sort it.

why do you want the internet on box?

i have same skin on my box for now and your right the keyboard does not allow you to save.

Sure don't I need it to do updates? Will try doing that this evening when I get a chance. I did try hitting the green button but didn't work.

Quick question for the experts! I rebooted the box and the time and date are stuck on yesterdays date and the incorrect time. Is this box actually faulty at this stage? It's giving me so many headaches at this stage over the last few weeks 🤬

Not sure on that one as my box has a wired Lan and connected , might it update if on a channel from 28.2 or Saorview.

Not sure if any tweaks need to be done under time setting. Might just be user error with new toy but unsure.

Are you downloading epg to box and if so where is it been stored to. Hopefully not internal flash?

It is probably user error as I'm totally new to this. What I've had to do is reboot 3 times and the correct time and date appear! I use the cross epg downloader which is in plugins. It was there when I bought the box.

• Advertisement

can you check where the epg data is stored and if you dont know how, get back, how long have you had the box??

I've only had the box about a month. To be honest I wouldn't know where to look for that data. I just take it from the crossepg downloader in the plugins section.

ok its important that the epg data is not stored in flash but as the box came set up for you then it should be ok but to check do the following.

menu setup epg settings, then look for line that says epg location, it should say \media\hdd but if it says internal flash you should change it to hdd by the arrow buttons and press green to save.

If it is hdd then just exit out

Yes it is in the correct location.

As regards the time being correct after rebooting somebody mentioned selecting another channel. And yes that does update the time so thanks a million to that poster for that tip. I can't find the post now to thank the poster.

My next challenge now is to get the wifi back working again.

You can set your time settings to update via a transponder rather the internet. So might be an idea to check it is on transponder, menu setup time. Default is transponder, europe, london.

As for wi fi, that could be a challenge, I tried a few dongles and they all worked, the hardest part is using remote to input details. I know it sounds daft but make sure router is sending out a wireless signal. That dongle you have is to be honest cheap and cheerful. But you did have it working.

And you don't need internet for updates which can be few and far between.

Have a good read of this thread as it contains all you need.

I can see the box on my router home page so it's there but offline. I wonder if the little tantrum it had knocked off some wifi setting when it rebooted. Would you have the time to explain what you did to get those dongles connected please?

What I'm doing is setup - network - device - wlan connection - adapter settings. From there everything looks as it should be.

Yes I intend to sit down some day when I have time and read this thread from the beginning.

All I did was plug dongle in to usb port, then went to network and as I had a lan cable already the 2 connections appeared, the dongle will have a wi fi signal symbol against it in red, so you select that and then another menu should appear giving you options like, scan for wireless networks, select that and your network should appear, go to it and press ok, you may then see the details of the network and get the option to connect. You can see options to test network, see wlan status, shows speed. All to help you.

I set the encryption same as router but I am assuming you did that already.

NB make sure router has wi fi switched on.

If you see nothing take out dongle and put back in and start from scratch.

And if you have a laptop try dongle in that.

out of interest this is the one I found best but no longer available

https://www.kuul.co.uk/vu-r-wireless-usb-adapter-300-mbps-incl-wps-setup.html

No originally I didn't do anything with encryption it just worked. Maybe that's what happened something changed. But if it's not needed for updates I might not bother with it. Is it needed for anything else on the box?

Another question i would ask if box is powered off at night or put into standby

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Put it into Standby, turning off the power can brick the box as it would be doing to many hard reboots

Even if you set a timer for a late night recording, make sure when settting on the Timer :After Event: into go to Standby

EDIT Apologies Greasepalm, I thought it was a general question, I didn't realise you were replying to Leonita

Post edited by MonkieSocks on

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

No it's never turned off at night because it's so awkward to get it going again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I'm curious as to this bricking of the box by hard resetting? Do you have a source for this? I have hard reset my box loads of times......

The odd time when box freezes you might not have much choice , unsure if its a power spike as box was not shut down properly in the middle of a function.

Most Admin or Mods on sites do mention its a bad thing to power off without shutting down correctly.

I seen it on a Sat forum.

It was from a well informed poster.

I always put my box on standby at night, Plug and Box dosent heat up doing this.

So I leave it like that as it's safe.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

For a newcomer to this I would recommend doing a back up as soon as you are happy with your setup.

Or do this the first time you bought the box and check to see if the seller had already set up a backup that you can restore it to.

Check and see.

Make sure you have a HDD drive or USB drive connected

go

Menu

Setup

Vix

Backup Manager

New Backup ...............Green Button

Restore previous Backup................Yellow Button

Delete previous Backup.......................Red

Backups have a date on them as in 20221011 = today's date

You can also back up an image by going to

Menu

Setup

Vix

Image Manager

Green Button for New Backup

Note: this may take 5-6 mins to finish the Backup.

Post edited by MonkieSocks on

Thanks for that info. There was no previous backup so I've created one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Is this still the best type of box to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It's still the best bang for your buck IMO. There is a bit of a learning curve but the rewards in functionality is worth the initial effort. If you are coming from Sky Q you may need to change the LNB on the dish and you will also need a conventional aerial for the Irish Saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Depends what kind of customer you are. If you’re a customer like me, you want something that just works, like a Virgin box or a Sky box. You really don’t want to be farting around with backups and settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

No way to get the Irish channels through the dish??

Advertisement