Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Very odd that you don't have a 'Storage' option.

Double-check that there's no Storage option in the 'System' menu. That's where the option lives in OpenATV, so perhaps it was like that in an earlier version of Vix? If still noting, I would reinstall the latest version of Vix.

On the ABM issue - you'll get an error if the appropriate transmitter isn't set up in the configuration. ABM will only look for the channels on the frequencies corresponding to the transmitter you have set - if it doesn't get any signal on these frequencies it will throw an error. There may be a bit of trial and error in determining where your signal is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Storage is seen when it sees the hdd as i lost mine on another box and a reboot brought it back.

I agree if not seen connections need to be checked out to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Anyone recommend a decent remote for this box? The original one I have doesn't work great at a certain distance across the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

First check the batteries and if they are the originals, try with duracell ultra, and make sure line of sight to box. Only remote as a replacement I have seen mentioned is a harmony thingy.

Remote needs a hard press to switch on i notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm having a bit of a problem and I'm wondering could anybody advise.

I bought a new telly last week and I've been mucking about with the settings on the telly and on the Zgemma box. Basically, the problem is that the picture size is fine on Saorview HD and SD and also fine on Satellite HD but when you switch to a satellite SD channel e.g. Film 4, the picture automatically resizes, distorts and becomes bigger than the frame.

At first I thought it must be the telly doing the resizing, but I plugged the box back into the old telly, to check and it is doing the same thing, so it must be some change that I did to the box.

Has anybody any ideas which of the setting I messed up, or failing that what happens if I do a full factory reset to the box?

TIA

You dont say image so I am assuming you are usSng openvix. Is the TV 4K? Go menu setup Audio Video, settings and a big window should open. Video output should be hdmi, then automatic should be disabled, just toggle with right arrow, mode is hdmi, refresh, multi, delay 0, just scale, just scale, auto,

Next bit is sound and applies if you have a sound system, downmix, twice. 0,0 off, off, off.

There are other settings but try above first.

If its 4k have you found the 4k demo channels. Picture is to do with upscaling and use of overscan. What;s the make of tv, I have a sony 4k hooked up. But I use Openatv.

If you do a full factory reset you lose everything and have to start again. Did box come with image loaded?

But you should not need to do a reset.

Thanks swoofer. Disabling the automatic resolution seems to have resolved the issue.

Back to messing with the settings😁

Is it a 4k tv? And you can set video so that TV does the upscaling? Keep a record of settings messed with!!😥

Samsung Qled 4k and yes I think the telly can do the upscaling.

I've already had to factory reset the tv.🤣 Might stop messing for a small while😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

My old hobby horse, I hope you did a settings backup before going playing. A few seconds making regular backups can save many hours of swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Another question, I installed a new Skin on the box today, now its stuck in the boot mode with the ATV6.0 screen, It goes through the boot 13% -53% - and gets stuck at 73% and goes around in a loop and the the ATV6.0 screen appear. No matters what i do it still stuck. I tried flashing it in boot mode and no change. Any help much appreciated.

I wonder when you have atv onscreen can you press menu and see anything? If so you might be in luck.

Do you know how to ftp into box and can you remember the IP address and password? Then you can delete that skin and box should work but if you messed with flashing then you may need to go through a procedure called recovery mode.

Pushing the menu button does nothing, It just tries to boot get stuck @73% and the ATV6.0 screen stays on. is recovery mode easy to implement? swoofer?

deleted

Post edited by greasepalm on

Its getting late but go to openvix downloads and get the latest version and the one you need is the one that says recovery, unzip it to a formatted usb, fat 32 format. Then put in usb slot at rear, under front flap note the power pimple, You will have powered off box at rear, so depress white button and button at front simultaneously and wait and wait until Flsh appears, release front button. Now box will load a brand new image so you have to start from scratch. And it takes its time. It may ask you to restore settings and plugins I would avoid that bit.

dont have any usb in the front slot

@swoofer many thanks for your help, all sorted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

just wanted to add I bought one of these for my Zgemma H7s running Openvix 6.4 and installed the driver from plugin "dvb-usb-dib0700_1.0-r1"

had to setup the tuner after the install and reboot, tested by disabling the main DVB-T tuner as well as testing recording two different channels on different multiplex and looks to be working fine.

for £10.99 it was a lot cheaper than some of the other tuners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Trying to get out of the habit of leaving all the tv stuff on standby overnight and till the next evening so I added a smart socket to voice control turning everything off before bed without having to get to the socket behind the tv.

But was wondering could taking the ZGemma off standby and rebooting it every single day decrease the overall longevity of the box? Would you just leave it on standby 24/7 instead?

Also does anyone know how long these boxes typically last, have mine almost 2 years now without problem. Do they typically go to 5 years or is that optimistic? Usage is about 5 hours a day most days.

But if you have updates of epg and abm to run in the early hours you might have to reload it every time.

All my boxes are in standby , Powering on from off might have issues in the long term as it will be voltage spike might do damage in the future.

These boxes are designed to run 24/7. Usually the EPG and ABM update during the night. What little power they use on standby would barely register on the ESB meter. We're talking a saving of a few cent per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

I have all my AV stuff on a timer plug, except the sat box and mesh wifi. Wifi powers down on a schedule overnight and satbox chews very little juice on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shanley2011

Hey just setting up a Zgemma h7s box. Can anyone tell from below images is this a universal Lnb I have on my sky dish. When plugged in the Zgemma it showed the EPG list but no picture. The Lnb has 6 ports . Do I just need to switch the cables to different ports on the Lnb

Pic is blurry but may be a sky q lnb just use the other slots.

I would have asked if you had sky Q as if you did not a standard lnb is in use

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shanley2011

Ya had sky q. Just thought from what I e read if. It had 6 ports it might be universal. Upon closer inspection it doesn’t look like it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

My mother in law, who's not at all technical, wants to cancel Sky due to the cost and the fact that she's not really using it. There is a Sky dish already on the house and I don't think Saorview signal will be a problem.

I do not want to be telling her to get a box that she can't use which will result in lots of hassle for me. Is this ok in terms of usability for a non-tech savvy person?

• Advertisement

After the initial setup it is the same as any new box. It might take a while to get used to the new remote layout. If you create a favourite channels list, it will be as simple as press 1 for RTÉ1, 10 for BBC1 or whatever. Show her where the "exit" button is, so if she manages to hit something she doesn't understand, keep hitting exit til it goes away 😉

Once shes comfortable with that, you can graduate on to the EPG or recordings if you want. It's like eating an elephant... one bite at a time.

Advertisement