Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Davexirl wrote: »
    Managed to get it all set up this evening, I am delighted with it.

Remember to make a backup of your settings now that you are happy. Look under 'software management'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭swoofer

If you go with openvix its a lot easier and that box has mutiboot so you can try openatv later. Openvix comes pre configured and its dedicated to 28 east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Remember to make a backup of your settings now that you are happy. Look under 'software management'

Thanks for that tip, I'll do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danIrl

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get EPG working for Channel 4 HD? I am just using standard OpenVix install that came with the box and ABM. All the other channels are fine. I have read that Channel 4 HD is not part of FreeSat and that is the issue, so do I need to setup some other EPG plugin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭andy1249

danIrl wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to get EPG working for Channel 4 HD? I am just using standard OpenVix install that came with the box and ABM. All the other channels are fine. I have read that Channel 4 HD is not part of FreeSat and that is the issue, so do I need to setup some other EPG plugin?

Running openvix myself
    You need to install crossepg , I know epgrefresh is the new default install but its really slow and unreliable for me

Install crossepg , after install reboot or it will crash , and then set provider and provider start order to sky uk opentv , make sure they have a green check mark beside them , then set crossepg to run approx 30 mins after abm every day , then run it , should populate channel 4 hd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭swoofer

What you can try is go to ABM and select SKY UK and put it at Free To Air only. I have region as london HD and then do a download. If that does not work come back. I set mine up ages ago and I use epgimporter and epgrefresh as well but I wanted al jazeera and cnn hd as well.

For CH4HD I am sure I made some other changes but at the time there was some bug with vix and crossepg.

Give the above a go and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Strange one. Been using the box no problem and I got I from WoS with 1Tb HDD built in and openvix.
    Working great, but went to watch a recording and nothing seems to be there? When I navigate to /media/hdd/movie I just get a message saying the directory doesn't exist??

Not sure if it's relates but when I go to devices it claims the device is full also?

And ideas other than re-initialising the hard drive and losing recordings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Can you check your storage device is showing as ext4 and remount your drive.
    I think your path has changed and files are still there.
    I did have an issue as a power reboot found my missing hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danIrl

Thanks andy1249. Tried CrossEPG and it seems to have worked.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Can you check your storage device is showing as ext4 and remount your drive.
    I think your path has changed and files are still there.
    I did have an issue as a power reboot found my missing hdd.

Sorry, going to ask the stupid question....how do I do that? (Remount I mean, I have tried rebooting)

Tks

• Advertisement

As i use openvix i use my blue button to enter vix where it shows my hdd as ext4

Menu-setup-vix-mount manager-that shows what your mount is setup as and coloured buttons below for adjusting and to save changes before exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I’ve just come across this thread. I have a zgemma box in the attic for the past few years. Had used it with no problems until the signal had been scrambled. I’ve been using an android box since. Can anyone recommend someone to put a program that works on the zgemma

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

You can also do all that from a command line prompt to the ZGemma OS.

To check the format of the file system on the drive type this at a command prompt:
    blkid -o list

Type this command to show where the drive is currently mounted:
    df -h

Let's say the drive was attached at /dev/sda1 then to mount it so it appears in the file system of the Zgemma at /media/hdd you would type this command:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd

Flex

I’ve just come across this thread. I have a zgemma box in the attic for the past few years. Had used it with no problems until the signal had been scrambled. I’ve been using an android box since. Can anyone recommend someone to put a program that works on the zgemma

Its not a matter of slapping on any image as you have not stated what box you have as everything is different and what image is on box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Its not a matter of slapping on any image as you have not stated what box you have as everything is different and what image is on box?

To be honest I haven’t a clue. Hasn’t been plugged in in about 2-3 years. May not be worth doing a thing with but said I’d ask

There are plenty of different zgemma boxes out there,did you look at the front of the box and what does it say.

As i use openvix i use my blue button to enter vix where it shows my hdd as ext4

Menu-setup-vix-mount manager-that shows what your mount is setup as and coloured buttons below for adjusting and to save changes before exiting.

Thanks a million. Got to that screen and tried mounting, but just got "mount failed".

No idea what to do from here.

Is this a usb portable or usb powered externally device.
    Your box might see it in the wrong format hence the issues,if i unmount my hdd externally powered i see the same thing as you see.

Do you see blue button saying mount does that work.I tried mine when unmounted and it said failed but is showing as ext4.

I have had a few where they dont work and had to get another one.

If you format hdd it will erase anything on it

Try and remove any recordings to pc to view there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJ6z7CuL2Q

Is this a usb portable or usb powered externally device.
    Your box might see it in the wrong format hence the issues,if i unmount my hdd externally powered i see the same thing as you see.

Do you see blue button saying mount does that work.I tried mine when unmounted and it said failed but is showing as ext4.

I have had a few where they dont work and had to get another one.

If you format hdd it will erase anything on it

Try and remove any recordings to pc to view there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJ6z7CuL2Q

It’s a built in HdD got it shipped with the box from WoS.

I’ve tried unmounting and re mounting but nothing happens when I hit the colour button for unmonitored and when I hit the colour for mount it just fails. Oh well, might be a format required. I don’t like precedent that sets though. I don’t want to have this happen again...

Might toddle over to WoS forum actually.

If box is new format storage and initialize storage as that is what is needed to get box setup correctly for recording and recordings.Abu is good over there.

If over there download the pdf manual from images to assist in setting up boxes on openvix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

My tiviar is dead and can't be recovered.
    Anyone recommend the switch from tiviar to this box?

I keep my box in the attic and use HDMI CEC to control it from downstairs.
    Does this box support HDMI CEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

what are the symptoms. Totally dead ???

hs5424 wrote: »
    what are the symptoms. Totally dead ???

It's the known PS issue.
    Tried to fix it using the guide on here but I am too stupid.
    Sent it in for repair too and they couldn't fix it either,so need to find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I got a Zgemma H7S last April and had to return it after four months. I think it was also a power supply issue. The picture would suddenly get all snowy and it would shut itself off. Or I would put it into standby then could not bring it back out without unplugging the box. World of Satellite were good about sending me out a new one. It's worth buying from them for the two year warranty.

I wouldn't say the Zgemma will be any more reliable than your Tiviar... then again you might not have any problems at all. I never had any problems with my Amiko Alien 2 I used for eight years.

I read that the VU+ range of boxes are well built but you pay big money for them.

Flex

Does your box have a dead PSU. If so its a 2 min fix
    I owned a VU+ duo in the past and spent lots of time repairing it. I repair for a living. Thank god for that because if I had forked out almost 500 bucks I would be not a happy man.

hs5424 wrote: »
    Does your box have a dead PSU. If so its a 2 min fix

Yeah dead PSU after leaving it plugged out while on Holidays. Came back from holidays and there is no power going to it.

just remove the faulty psu and fit any 12v 4 or 5 amp one in its place. As I said in the past, if you don't have a psu then get a 12 v battery that can deliver 4 amps and this will prove if a power supply will restore the unit or not

cork_south wrote: »
    My tiviar is dead and can't be recovered.
    Anyone recommend the switch from tiviar to this box?

I keep my box in the attic and use HDMI CEC to control it from downstairs.
    Does this box support HDMI CEC?

Yes HDMI CEC is in vix menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I see that OpenVix 5.4 is now available for the ZGemma H7 series.

I've been having random package upgrade issues recently, so was thinking of flashing the box with the new version of OpenVix but had a couple of niggling worries.

I presume that when I flash the box using USB, that will return to factory settings. How easy is it to backup/restore settings like channel list, etc.?

Any other gotchas for flashing from USB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just run backup first. After you flash the new image it will detect the backup and offer to restore your settings which includes bouquets, timers, autotimers etc etc. Rather than using USB I copied the new image directly to the HDD as its faster. Simply put the downloaded file (openvix-5.4.001.release-zgemmah7_usb.zip) in /hdd/imagebackups. No need to unzip it first.

The whole process should only take ~5mins

Advertisement