Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Getting rid of Sky Q and I am going to order this box, from reading up on it, I would be best with going OpenATV? Easiest to setup for a newbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Davexirl wrote: »
    Getting rid of Sky Q and I am going to order this box, from reading up on it, I would be best with going OpenATV? Easiest to setup for a newbie?

It helps to be comfortable with PCs, FTP, understanding configurations etc if you want to tweak and customise, but the box itself with OpenATV (which is what I have) is perfectly usable as is with minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So it's been a few weeks with the box but I am very happy with it and have it setup just as I want it now . Took a while but got there :)

I have a question though.. So the Web TV interface allows you to watch/stream TV through the browser and you can export individual channel playlist files to open in Potplayer (in my case - tho I'm sure VLC would work too) - but, is there a way to export the whole list or use an external player to interface with the box.

Basically I'm thinking SkyGo functionality but using this hardware. Then all I'd need to do is open the relevant ports on the firewall and I can watch TV from anywhere :)

what skin did you settle on?

Cyrus wrote: »
    what skin did you settle on?

Slyk Q in the end.

Hi all,

Got this box the other day.

Been setting it up but not sure if I have a fault.

The box seems highly sensative to being touched, today I forgot to lug in my lan cable in the back of the unit, as soon as I did the box froze and wouldnt reboot. Every time I turned it on it just lit up the logo and dislayed nothing.

Eventually after a few minutes and failed retempts it booted again.

Found that any touching of the cables in the back do the same, even touching the HDMI, not unlugging but just touching sends the box crazy.

Any ideas if this is a faulty box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Hi all,

Got this box the other day.

Been setting it up but not sure if I have a fault.

The box seems highly sensative to being touched, today I forgot to lug in my lan cable in the back of the unit, as soon as I did the box froze and wouldnt reboot. Every time I turned it on it just lit up the logo and dislayed nothing.

Eventually after a few minutes and failed retempts it booted again.

Found that any touching of the cables in the back do the same, even touching the HDMI, not unlugging but just touching sends the box crazy.

Any ideas if this is a faulty box?

I do get electric shocks off the back of mine but nothing annoying like the above. I would flash a different image or two (Pure2 works well for me) and if it persists I would say faulty box

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danIrl

Anyone have issues with recordings?
    I have a box with a preinstalled hard disk. However playback even on SD channels has problems. Will not fast forward properly and sometimes during playback it will stutter.

Running OpenVix 5.3.039

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

danIrl wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with recordings?

That might be an issue with the hard drive itself... hardware or firmware.

I have had those problems you describe but only on a different less powerful box when I was playing back and recording HD programs to a network drive.

You could plug in a usb key or usb drive and make recordings on to that and see if it performs better. I have used both on a Zgemma H7S and not had the problems you describe using an internal drive.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danIrl

Interesting. Yeah I might try a usb disk. I bought it from world of satellite so I presumed they would have everything correctly setup.

Hi all,

The box seems highly sensative to being touched, today I forgot to lug in my lan cable in the back of the unit, as soon as I did the box froze and wouldn't reboot.

I had a similar problem to this a few weeks ago and had to return the box for a replacement. I only had it four months. I would put the box to sleep and it wouldn't come back on, would disappear off the network and I'd have to plug it out and in again. Sometimes the picture would randomly break up and the box would just shut off. Applying gentle pressure down on the top of the box would cause the picture to go all snowy and then the box to die.. like there was a power issue or a loose connection.

I never got to the bottom of what was the cause. But World of Satellite didn't make any hassle over supplying me with a replacement.

With the replacement box I don't record to an external drive any more only to an internal drive. Previously I had put the Kodi plugin on it and that's when it started dying on me. I doubt there was any connection between the two but I won't be doing anything fancy with my new Zgemma H7S. I lost a bit of confidence in it really. Don't think it's built to last the seven years my old Amiko Alien 2 did! (actually it still works just fine)

Flex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi folks,

Overall, I find this a great little box, but lately I'm running into a strange series of errors, the box doesn't seem to install updates any more.

It's running OpenVix 5.3.0.39. But when I look to update packages, I've started getting an error

No state is present for card bcm
    Found hardware: "bcm" "BCM mixer" "" "" ""
    Hardware is initialized using a generic method
    No state is present for card bcm
    Not selecting libavformat58 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libavdevice58 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libavutil56 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libavcodec58 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libswresample3 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libavresample4 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libswscale5 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libavfilter7 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Not selecting libpostproc55 4.1.4 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
    Configuring alsa-state.
    Collected errors: * pkg_run_script: package "alsa-state" postinst script returned status 22. * opkg_configure: alsa-state.postinst returned 22.

If I look at the list of packages to update, it looks like there could be an issue with the package numbers - there is a decimal point before 15, that is not there for 16.

e.g. kernel-base (4.10.12-.15 -> 4.10.12-16)
    Linux kernel for h7

Any tips on how I could address these issues?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You would be better off asking them in the OpenVix Image Forum on World of Satellite.

People like abu baniaz, Sicilian and twol develop and support that image there.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I noticed the other day that they haven't updated Vix for Zgemma since July. Kinda worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Hi folks

I've ordered one of these, due to be delivered this week. I currently using Eir but I have a sky Q dish from a couple of years ago, so from reading through various threads here I can see that I need to replace the LNB with a hybrid LNB. This doesn't look too difficult however I also need to get an aerial for Saorview and I'm prone to breaking stuff. My query is, would an installer do both of these even though they are not supplying the receiver box? If so, I'm assuming someone like Freesat would offer this service?

Thank you

Kannon wrote: »
    Hi folks

I've ordered one of these, due to be delivered this week. I currently using Eir but I have a sky Q dish from a couple of years ago, so from reading through various threads here I can see that I need to replace the LNB with a hybrid LNB. This doesn't look too difficult however I also need to get an aerial for Saorview and I'm prone to breaking stuff. My query is, would an installer do both of these even though they are not supplying the receiver box? If so, I'm assuming someone like Freesat would offer this service?

Thank you

An independent will supply/fit the dish and aerial alright. I recently had one recable and reorient my Saorview/Freesat setup after an unsatisfactory install by another previously.

Thanks for that Kaiser. I'll get a few quotes, any ideas how much it should cost roughly?

Kannon wrote: »
    Thanks for that Kaiser. I'll get a few quotes, any ideas how much it should cost roughly?

In my case 100 covered reorienting the aerial, rewiring the satellite and running a new cable for a second feed but it'll depend on where you are, what you need and how much work is involved

I used these guys - https://satelliteandaerialtvservices.com/ - and was happy with what was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In my case 100 covered reorienting the aerial, rewiring the satellite and running a new cable for a second feed but it'll depend on where you are, what you need and how much work is involved

I used these guys - https://satelliteandaerialtvservices.com/ - and was happy with what was done.

Are they country-wide?

I noticed this on the home page
    This Weeks Specials
    <snip>
    Tiviar Alpha Combo Plus: Saorview & Freesat Digital HD Full 7 Day TV Guide Combo Plus Record & Watch.

:(

Are they country-wide?

I noticed this on the home page

:(

Not sure if country-wide (it says 16 counties on the site) and the website isn't great, but I was happy with the work and price myself.

My box has arrived in Parcel Motel in Dublin, it should be in my locker tomorrow.

• Advertisement

My box has arrived in Parcel Motel in Dublin, it should be in my locker tomorrow.

Changed the Sky Q LNB handy enough, Tuned in the channels but having issues even trying to sort them. Can't find autobouquets maker, I installed the plugin, so I believe but can't locate it.

Changed the Sky Q LNB handy enough, Tuned in the channels but having issues even trying to sort them. Can't find autobouquets maker, I installed the plugin, so I believe but can't locate it.

I did most of it through the web interface myself

Hi folks

I chose not to get the internal HDD option that WoS offered with the box as it seemed a bit expensive. Can anyone recommend a relatively affordable one?

Thank you

WoS don't charge all that much to add in the hard drive. Now you have to order it separately and put it in yourself.

It depends on what you want to do with a hard drive... record movies and programs frequently and leave them on there? Enable pause/rewind live TV?
    If the former then you might as well get a big drive e.g: a 2.5" 1TB would do. If the later then you're better off paying for an SSD.

You can also simply plug in a usb key and record onto that but the more capacity you have the better.. an hour long standard def program takes up around 1GB of space. High def about 3GB.

eBay and amazon have lots of options.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

This is what I use , easily enough for ~30 hours of HD.

I had a few 256GB 2.5" SSDs spare after replacing the PC over the summer so stuck one of those into it. 5 minute job, but read back a few pages here as setting it up in the software isn't as intuitive as it could be.

Managed to get it all set up this evening, I am delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

Managed to get it all set up this evening, I am delighted with it.

Going to purchase myself shortly. Did you go with OpenVix or OpenATV? Did you spend long setting up?

henke wrote: »
    Going to purchase myself shortly. Did you go with OpenVix or OpenATV? Did you spend long setting up?

It was my first time setting one of these up and it took me probably 5-6 hours. I went with OpenATV from advice on here and from searching google on what to do. A bit of pain but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have always used openvix on all my boxes as it does what i need.

Advertisement