Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭odddavey

grogi wrote: »
    It must be amazon rolling some update that corrupted the previous state of the stick. PITA
    Top tip
    Go to settings
    Preferences
    Privacy settings
    Turn off all 3 options there
    And go back to preferences
    Select data monitoring and turn that off as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

last week i have had to set this up again three times now is there a fault with these sticks ?

torrevieja wrote: »
    last week i have had to set this up again three times now is there a fault with these sticks ?
    Not with mine. Have you turned off all of the above? Data monitoring etc.

odddavey wrote: »
    Not with mine. Have you turned off all of the above? Data monitoring etc.

yes i did was in touch with Amazon had to do a factory reset, if it happens again they will replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Top tip
    Go to settings
    Preferences
    Privacy settings
    Turn off all 3 options there
    And go back to preferences
    Select data monitoring and turn that off as well

no reason not to disable what you've listed but that's not going to stop the sticks auto updating. - if that even is the cause of the resets

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no reason not to disable what you've listed but that's not going to stop the sticks auto updating. - if that even is the cause of the resets
    My hunch is that if its turned on there monitoring illegal steaming apps and resetting the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

odddavey wrote:
    My hunch is that if its turned on there monitoring illegal steaming apps and resetting the sticks.

Not allowed unless you have consented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have about 10 firesticks with relatives and myself...90% of viewing on all of them is Netflix/etc but Other 10% is for other apps...none have been reset ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Your hunch is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I use the Firestick exclusively for US or UK apps & hop between them all the time, and have never had it randomly reset. Your hunch is miles off.

• Advertisement

when i was talking to Amazon Chat they were able to tell me that all my apps i had downloaded had been deleted, and told me to do a factory reset, so maybe they can see the apps you have on your stick :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

torrevieja wrote: »
    when i was talking to Amazon Chat they were able to tell me that all my apps i had downloaded had been deleted, and told me to do a factory reset, so maybe they can see the apps you have on your stick :confused:

They can see the app from amazon store...

If amazon gave acrap they would remove the option to allow apps from unknown sources

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Can somebody put up the link for Amazon chat??
    Cannot find link within amazon.co.uk to open up chat window and looking to get settings changed to UK so that I can use Prime Video on firestick 4k..

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

tyres wrote: »
    Can somebody put up the link for Amazon chat??
    Cannot find link within amazon.co.uk to open up chat window and looking to get settings changed to UK so that I can use Prime Video on firestick 4k..
    Go to Amazon.
    Scroll down to Bottom page of Amazon website and Reach Help button.
    Need more help and reach out contact us link.
    You will be asked to fill a form, i that bottom you could find three options called Email, Phone and Chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Have you a generation one model? Cos yeah they're pretty cat alright, but the next models up are nothing to complain about, would certainly give your average Chinese android box a run for its money.

The 4k one, for its price is pretty much the best value for money streaming device available.

Not true, the Nvidia Shield wipes the floor with anything else without question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

jonnny68 wrote: »

How so?

I have the 4k Firestick and stream tv shows / movies / catchup services & live IPTV with no issues at all

I'm not doubting you or anything - just interested

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I have to agree with the above statement.

I have 3 x shields and 2 x 4kfire sticks around the house and the shield wipes the floor with the fire stick.

The remote, the speed , fluency and just the overall user experience. Also the shield is handy for casting.

Don't get me wrong the firesticks are grand but the shield is just a superior machine and a total beast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is the prime content fine on the shield? All in HD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

beauf wrote: »
    Is the prime content fine on the shield? All in HD etc.

Yes, all perfect for me

jonnny68 wrote: »

I think you might want to go back and reread what I wrote tbh.

I have a shield too, and spec wise it'll wipe the floor with a 4k firestick.

I said for its price it's the best value streaming device you can get (the shield costs more than treble what you can get a 4k stick for), and I stand over that 110%>

If you want to game, run a Plex server etc etc, by all means get a shield at 160stg+.

If you just want to stream Netflix/prime/YouTube or IPTV in 4k/HD with excellent customer support, on a solid little portable device - get a firestick at 40-50stg depending on if Amazon have them on offer.

The Chinese boxes in the same price range are muck in comparison, and so I repeat that the 4k stick is pretty much the best value for money streaming device there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I think you might want to go back and reread what I wrote tbh.

I have a shield too, and spec wise it'll wipe the floor with a 4k firestick.

I said for its price it's the best value streaming device you can get (the shield costs more than treble what you can get a 4k stick for), and I stand over that 110%>

If you want to game, run a Plex server etc etc, by all means get a shield at 160stg+.

If you just want to stream Netflix/prime/YouTube or IPTV in 4k/HD with excellent customer support, on a solid little portable device - get a firestick at 40-50stg depending on if Amazon have them on offer.

The Chinese boxes in the same price range are muck in comparison, and so I repeat that the 4k stick is pretty much the best value for money streaming device there is.

Few questions - genuine ones.

How does the stick handle HDMI-CEC with volume controls? When the HDMI-CEC is enabled, does it send the VolUP/VolDown messages over to the TV or just adjusts the local ones?

How much of the HDMI-CEC power sync can you setup? Does it support One Touch Play? Can you enable/disable power-off on TV standby? Can you enable/disable poweroff of the TV on stick power-off/standby?

What audio formats are supported with passthrough? Can you force local decoding and send PCM to the TV?

Few questions - genuine ones.

How does the stick handle HDMI-CEC with volume controls? When the HDMI-CEC is enabled, does it send the VolUP/VolDown messages over to the TV or just adjusts the local ones?

How much of the HDMI-CEC power sync can you setup? Does it support One Touch Play? Can you enable/disable power-off on TV standby? Can you enable/disable poweroff of the TV on stick power-off/standby?

What audio formats are supported with passthrough? Can you force local decoding and send PCM to the TV?

The latest remote control has TV functionality built in to it, ie you pair it with your TV and it controls the volume level/power on the TV set itself.

The stick itself can be set up to sleep after a certain period (iirc) from within settings.

The last question is waaaaaaay beyond my pay grade lol.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Not really comparable though are they? Price per performance the 4k fire stick would be best for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The latest remote control has TV functionality built in to it, ie you pair it with your TV and it controls the volume level/power on the TV set itself.

Over IR or HDMI-CEC?
    The stick itself can be set up to sleep after a certain period (iirc) from within settings.

That's now what I am asking. In short I want to know if:
    • One can switch the TV off with the stick remote?
    • One can switch the TV on with the stick remote?
    The last question is waaaaaaay beyond my pay grade lol.

Fair enough :)

A few more:
    • can you pair xbox one controller with it over BT?
    • is there Steam Link app for the Stick?

Over IR or HDMI-CEC?
    IR

That's now what I am asking. In short I want to know if:
    • One can switch the TV off with the stick remote?
    • One can switch the TV on with the stick remote?
    You can definitely turn the telly off via the remote, but I think it's over IR as opposed to CEC, if you can power the telly on via powering the stick up though? No idea - will test this evening if you like.

Fair enough :)

A few more:
    • can you pair xbox one controller with it over BT?
    • is there Steam Link app for the Stick?

Yea I believe you can add an Xbox controller (you can pretty much add any Bluetooth capable device, third party controllers etc)

I don't believe there's a steam link, unsure if the stick could even handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Our Sony Bravia tv remote controls the Firestick. Since the initial setup, the Firestick remote has been living quietly in a drawer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I barely use my tv remote since getting the 4k firestick. The firestick remote turns on my tv, auto switches to the channel and controls volume, which is all I really need. I even use it to control the volume while playing my PS4.

I paired my PS4 controller to the firestick the other day and the lag was terrible, though maybe it's better with other controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Sounds good, I ordered one of these yesterday mainly because my harmony hub gave up the ghost. I like the way it can be used for normal tv and nvidia shield and other devices.

Quick question, is there a way you can toggle from hdmi ext to different hdmi extensions with the Firestick remote?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

califano wrote: »
    Sounds good, I ordered one of these yesterday mainly because my harmony hub gave up the ghost. I like the way it can be used for normal tv and nvidia shield and other devices.

Quick question, is there a way you can toggle from hdmi ext to different hdmi extensions with the Firestick remote?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Amazons "Prime Day" is soon - 15&16 July.
    Hope to get one or two of them then for prices mentioned in this thread...

Can anyone PM me some links to some interesting things to install on it :)

“Roll it back”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement