Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

***Amazon Firestick Users****

With Amazon winning rights to show football and general streaming, it is advisable to change some settings on the sticks and Amazon box's.

This will stop them just removing apps on the next update.

You need to Stay 3 steps ahead in this cat and mouse game people!

AMAZON USERS PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING

So to protect your stick from the next Amazon update it is suggested

You turn off the Data collection and app usage data in the settings under preferences and security . Would also recommend turning off auto updates .

TO PROTECT OLDER STICK SEE BELOW, ALSO ADVISED TO FOLLOW ON 4K AS WELL

Settings/Preferences/privacy settings

Device Usage Data TURN OFF

Collect App Usage Data TURN OFF

Settings/Preferences/Data Monitoring TURN OFF

Settings/My Fire TV/Developer Options

ADB Debugging TURN OFF

Settings/Applications/Appstore

Automatic Updates TURN OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Done, mrawkward. Just received the 4k stick couple of days ago and i'm very impressed with it. Its working well with 3rd party apps and having a shielt tv I wasnt expecting much but its exceeded my expectations. And its very convenient to take travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

mrawkward wrote: »
    ***Amazon Firestick Users****

With Amazon winning rights to show football and general streaming, it is advisable to change some settings on the sticks and Amazon box's.

This will stop them just removing apps on the next update.

You need to Stay 3 steps ahead in this cat and mouse game people!

AMAZON USERS PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING

So to protect your stick from the next Amazon update it is suggested

You turn off the Data collection and app usage data in the settings under preferences and security . Would also recommend turning off auto updates .

TO PROTECT OLDER STICK SEE BELOW, ALSO ADVISED TO FOLLOW ON 4K AS WELL

Settings/Preferences/privacy settings

Device Usage Data TURN OFF

Collect App Usage Data TURN OFF

Settings/Preferences/Data Monitoring TURN OFF

Settings/My Fire TV/Developer Options

ADB Debugging TURN OFF

Settings/Applications/Appstore

Automatic Updates TURN OFF

What apps is it deleting? Not entirely clear.

Monokne wrote: »
    What apps is it deleting? Not entirely clear.

Other 3rd party apps........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

mrawkward wrote:
    Other 3rd party apps........

Any proof?

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Any proof?

I posted this as advice I picked up elsewhere, you be the guinea pig and please do let us know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I posted this as advice I picked up elsewhere, you be the guinea pig and please do let us know how you get on!!

Don't believe in mumbojumbo...

Amazon will not delete apps based on your usage pattern. They might make an app unavailable in the store to everyone if they suddenly decide they do t like it, but it's not based on your usage.

grogi wrote: »
    Don't believe in mumbojumbo...

Amazon will not delete apps based on your usage pattern. They might make an app unavailable in the store to everyone if they suddenly decide they do t like it, but it's not based on your usage.

I am talking about non-Amazon sourced apps..........the hint is in the reference to 3rd party apps. These sticks have other applications and users that do not even use the pre-installed apps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What are the must have apps for this? So far I've.
    Prime
    Netflix
    Disney life
    All 4
    Moonlight ( for streaming steam games).
    Vlc
    Plex
    YouTube
    Spotify

Is there any thing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What are the must have apps for this? So far I've.
    Prime
    Netflix
    Disney life
    All 4
    Moonlight ( for streaming steam games).
    Vlc
    Plex
    YouTube
    Spotify

Is there any thing else?

Yeah a decent IPTV subscription.

This is nonsense, sure Amazon could just stop everyone and anyone installing third party apps overnight if they wanted.

All they'd have to do is just remove the option to install apps from unknown sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Yeah a decent IPTV subscription.

I am still searching for a decent one.

Tried a few that were a waste of money but would be happy to pay a bit more for a good one.

Any recommendations from yourself or anyone else would be appreciated (probably best to use pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

green123 wrote: »
    I am still searching for a decent one.

Tried a few that were a waste of money but would be happy to pay a bit more for a good one.

Any recommendations from yourself or anyone else would be appreciated (probably best to use pm)

I'm in the same boat. Tried a few and they were rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

The standard firestick(not 4k) is only 20 pounds today...

Is this worth getting- for use on a 1080p second tv - or is there something else the 4k is good that I should wait?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-Streaming-Media-Player-Alexa

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

ozmo wrote: »

Is this worth getting- for use on a 1080p second tv - or is there something else the 4k is good that I should wait?

Buy the HD stick at 20 stg. Good value. Great stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How do you set up the Fire remote to turn on/off tv instead of just putting the box into standby?

givecredit wrote: »
    ozmo wrote: »

Buy the HD stick at 20 stg. Good value. Great stick.

Is it similar in responsiveness as the 4k one? I had one if the original first gen ones that is a pile of crap, but the 4k one is great. If the £20 ones worked as well but without 4k id be snapping up a few more. I only have one 4k tv so no need for extra 4k ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

4K is down to 25 sterling now anyways...

edit: still coming up full price if you search it but if you go to the home page scroll to deals on amazon devices and select see more deals and it is there in the second row

Just went for the 4K at £25. For the fiver it isn't worth the chance. I've heard the HD stick is much improved from the first gen, but the 4k is a significant step up again.

Also during my "research" one video said if your TV isnt on the right HDMI channel, the firestick remote can turn on your tv and control the volume, but they said holding the home button on the firestick remote changes to the right hdmi channel. Ive not had a chance to test it but i saw it being asked here previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Also during my "research" one video said if your TV isnt on the right HDMI channel, the firestick remote can turn on your tv and control the volume, but they said holding the home button on the firestick remote changes to the right hdmi channel. Ive not had a chance to test it but i saw it being asked here previously.

It's home button and then enter and it switches channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

2 more ordered for the house, bargain at 25£ for 4k version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Dutchy

Assume no real point in getting one of these if you have Google Home vs. Alexa? Or have I been misinformed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Just went for the 4K at £25. For the fiver it isn't worth the chance. I've heard the HD stick is much improved from the first gen, but the 4k is a significant step up again.

I have both.
    Performance on the 4k is way better.
    Definitely worth the extra £5

Dutchy wrote: »
    Assume no real point in getting one of these if you have Google Home vs. Alexa? Or have I been misinformed ?

I have Alexa but I don't link it in at all with the Firestick.....

I use Alexa for smarthome and I think I can tell Alexa to start a program on the firestick but I never do...

ON the remote you can press the button and talk to firestick to tell it what to do, so I use that

Dutchy wrote: »

Loads, the stick is for watching tV and has a remote. Even if I ask Alexa to turn it on she just says you have loads of sticks on your account. You can use Alexa on the remote to find stuff. Prob the best Android box on the market really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any way around having to pay for a months Prime ? I can't see any free trials.

Discodog wrote: »
    Any way around having to pay for a months Prime ? I can't see any free trials.

New email address....log in and you should get a 30 day offer....you used to anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

is there a way to use a VPN on the stick to access BBC IPlayer?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

eoinf wrote: »
    is there a way to use a VPN on the stick to access BBC IPlayer?

A smart DNS like Getflix works fine. You'll need your account to be a UK one for the APP to be there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Dutchy

Ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Firestick 4K ordered using free trial of prime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement