Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Terrible sessions tonight.

Fast forwarded through most of both of them and didn't miss anything.

Wilson, Carter, Bingham and Ding are so bloody boring to watch, hope they get knocked out.

Have to disagree regarding Ding he is great to watch in amongst the balls such a good break builder

They are pretty close on the average shot time, Trump hits the ball harder and trys to impress when the frame is over but that's it I think he is massively overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nuts102 wrote: »
    From the front angle his waistcoat looks nowhere near the ball

Surely they had another angle and he is a very experiencd ref but it looked dodgy to me

I disagree, I think Verhaas would be extremely reluctant to call a foul in that instance unless he was 100% convinced there was a touch. Whilst I agree that no angles are there to show it, there are equally no angles to say otherwise and if he was wrong, itd be a big story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

No morning session today, but the four remaining second-round matches will all play to a finish later.

Afternoon session (1 pm):

Kyren Wilson 7-9 Barry Hawkins (winner plays David Gilbert)

Ali Carter 7-9 Zhou Yuelong (winner plays Gary Wilson)

Evening session (7 pm):

John Higgins 8-8 Stuart Bingham (winner plays Neil Robertson)

Judd Trump 7-9 Ding Junhui (winner plays Stephen Maguire)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

having watched a bit last couple of days the pockets are a joke . theres balls dropping that have no right to be . once you hit the edge or knuckle at all there in. makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

spurshero wrote: »
    having watched a bit last couple of days the pockets are a joke . theres balls dropping that have no right to be . once you hit the edge or knuckle at all there in. makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing

Kind of noticed this

But surely they are made to a spec? Tested etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    Kind of noticed this

But surely they are made to a spec? Tested etc?

They are but the conditions change every day. Humidity, heat etc.

Every year theres some issue. A couple of years ago it was the bounce from the cushions.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/950501/Snooker-World-Championship-Crucible

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/36121634

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Frame 21, missed straight forward pink from Wilson and Hawkins clears up, could be significant. 11-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Just about to have a go at the challenge in winter garden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And that's another Wilson through:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

zuutroy wrote: »
    Just about to have a go at the challenge in winter garden :)

Won a medal! Heading to Bingham v Higgins later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Disappointed for Hawkins, likable guy. Run of 6 QFs in a row comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

spurshero wrote: »

Sadly very true. Seems to have turned that way since around 2015 and it does put all the centuries players are getting into perspective once you consider there are probably one or two balls every break that just shouldn't be dropping. "I forgot we were playing on 9 ball pool tables," Dominic Dale said after one Kyren Wilson shot dropped that looked to bounce an inch from the jaw. It just shouldnt be happening.

It's not, as people might think, that the pockets themselves are bigger, but that the cloths they play on are now so ultra-thin that table fitters have to widen the arc of the pocket entry because the cloth would rip too easily upon repeated impact. That's not me explaining, but an actual table fitter who was interviewed on the bbc during last years championship. Also, the balls will slide more easily off the cushion and tend to catch the far jaws and drop in. It's not that there's an actual magnet inside the pocket or anything, it just looks that way sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, Hawkins looked unstoppable in the first session, Wilson did well to catch up and eventually beat him. Can't warm to Wilson though for some reason.

Also, was harsh on Ding earlier, he's not a boring player I just didn't find that session yesterday very entertaining.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I've tended to be a little against K Wilson in the past, just always looked a bit workmanlike to me to be considered a potential world champion, but definitely wont be making that mistake again. Very impressive in closing out that match today, not many young guys i see as having the grit and mental stamina for these long matches, but he's definitely one of them. No reason for him to fear any opponent from here on in.

Two balls wiped their feet before dropping for Trump at a crucial stage of the first evening frame there. Good omen for him perhaps...

Trump wins the first two frames of the evening to level at 9-9. Ding would need to pick up his game here.

Ding would need to pick up his game here.

The way Trump is playing it doesn't like it would make any difference...

Ding hasn't shown up tonight. Trump wins all four frames before the midsession interval to lead 11-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I've tended to be a little against K Wilson in the past, just always looked a bit workmanlike to me to be considered a potential world champion, but definitely wont be making that mistake again. Very impressive in closing out that match today, not many young guys i see as having the grit and mental stamina for these long matches, but he's definitely one of them. No reason for him to fear any opponent from here on in.

Ronnie O'Sullivan tipped Kryon Wilson as future world champion sometime earlier this year because he has the 'bottle' etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What a century there from Trump. Ding going home soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

One of the best centuries of the tournament from Trump there, couple of great canons along the way. He’s looking like a potential champion tonight, but doing it for one session isn’t enough, this form has to continue.

martyos121 wrote: »
    One of the best centuries of the tournament from Trump there, couple of great canons along the way. He’s looking like a potential champion tonight, but doing it for one session isn’t enough, this form has to continue.

I think he blows to hot and cold not consistent enough to win it.
    Of course I could look very foolish after this post is read on the 6th of May.

Edit: Trump just missed and broke down at 51 leading 12 frames to 9.

Ding got jammy covering that yellow , jayus it's great tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Both winners back in action tomorrow at 2.30 is fairly harsh.

I know it's the schedule but such a quick turnaround and then for Higgins or Bingham to face into Robertson...ouch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ding is the most frustrating player to follow, all the talent in the world, but this infuriating inconsistency, about a decade ago I thought he'd be a nailed on World Champion, now I'm beginning to doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I doubt he'll ever win the worlds or even get to many WC finals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wanted Hawkins, Yuelong, Ding and Bingham to win so not a successful day.

Trump was very impressive tonight. On what I’ve seen so far he’s the winner.

Robbo has a tough match v Higgins, he’s so tough to beat here.
    Him v Trump in the final would be top drawer viewing though.

Like to see both Wilson’s progress to the semis as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Absolutely phenomenal session from Trump there. Must be heartbreaking to be 9-7 up and then lose six in a row to go out.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Today's order of play...

10 am

Kyren Wilson vs David Gilbert (first session)

Ali Carter vs Gary Wilson (first session)

2:30 pm

Neil Robertson vs John Higgins (first session)

Judd Trump vs Stephen Maguire (first session)

7 pm

Kyren Wilson vs David Gilbert (second session)

Ali Carter vs Gary Wilson (second session)

• Advertisement

Annoying the way BBC and Eurosport always seem to be showing the same match when there's 2 on. Is it in their contracts or something? Or is it always obvious to the true snooker buff which is the more attractive fixture?

Advertisement