Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Robbo looks under huge pressure here already

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

lol Ronnie described Barry Hearn as a cross between Arthur Daley and Del Boy when asked about the 20 147s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

mewso wrote: »
    lol Ronnie described Barry Hearn as a cross between Arthur Daley and Del Boy when asked about the 20 147s.

Loved that!

When asked who would win tonight, Ronnie said immediately "Higgins."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Robertson's toe was barely touching the floor on that shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it just me or are the corner pockets like buckets this year. Everything seems to drop after hitting the jaws several times or hitting the cushion two or three inches from the pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

tanko wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the corner pockets like buckets this year. Everything seems to drop after hitting the jaws several times or hitting the cushion two or three inches from the pocket.

The black the went in for Higgins there was a joke.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Earlier in this game, the ball was making mad bounces off the cushions, so that balances it somewhat.

Fierce quiet in here tonight, the Liverpool match?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wasnt a great quality match to be fair, but gotta admire higgins for his tactical knowhow and tenacity. From nearly going 8-5 up, robbo just lost composure and let match get away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Higgins, the master. Write him off at your peril!

A lot of scrappy frames in that match which suited Higgins I think.

So much for the invincible Robertson!

• Advertisement

Class finish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So in a previous thread I had Ronnie as favorite, Robbo second favorite and Trump third. Which means Trump will be the next to go and Higgins who I didn't put in the top 3 will prolly win the title. lol.

And that's the end of the two-table setup for this year! I'm sad to see it go, but tomorrow the Crucible will be down to one table for the semfinals. Best of 33 frames, played over 4 sessions between tomorrow and Saturday.

Tomorrow's order of play:

1 pm

David Gilbert vs John Higgins (first session)

7 pm

Gary Wilson vs Judd Trump (first session)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,263 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Class finish there.

I betcha Robertson wishes Higgins he went through with his retirement plans...

So it is:
    Gilbert v Higgins
    Wilson v Trump in the semis,

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Trump must be delighted how this wc is turning out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And that's the end of the two-table setup for this year! I'm sad to see it go, but tomorrow the Crucible will be down to one table for the semfinals. Best of 33 frames, played over 4 sessions between tomorrow and Saturday.

Tomorrow's order of play:

1 pm

David Gilbert vs John Higgins (first session)

7 pm

Gary Wilson vs Judd Trump (first session)

I don't know a huge amount about Gilbert or Wilson tbh, but presumably it would be a big surprise if we didn't see a Higgins v Trump final?

I don't know a huge amount about Gilbert or Wilson tbh, but presumably it would be a big surprise if we didn't see a Higgins v Trump final?

A lot of people will be predicting a repeat of the 2011 final. On that occasion, Higgins beat Trump 18-15, but Trump is a much more experienced player now.

If Trump and Higgins do reach the final, both will have a lot to prove. Trump will want to capture his first world title. Higgins will want a fifth to put him equal to Ronnie, and will also want to avoid losing his third final in a row.

That said, both David Gilbert and Gary Wilson have shown that they can cause an upset ... and they have nothing to lose now. So it should be an exciting few days!

Yer man Wilson is 16 years a pro was going to pack it in and even became a taxi driver for a while.
    Wilson has played very well this tournament would not be surprised if the pressure gets too much for Trump. Trump expected to win gives even more pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Interviews were interesting with both giving out about the table. It’s just not good enough in the most important tournament of the year. The table should be playing flawlessly.

Shame Robertson got beaten but like him or despise him Higgins is granite. Drags you into deep waters and drowns you.

Trump and Higgins obviously overwhelming favourites now but Wilson and Gilbert have been playing well. First to 17 though it would be a major shock to not have a repeat of 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You have hand it to Higgins, what a fierce competitor. He never lets the head drop, nerves of steel and is some man to grind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Yer man Wilson is 16 years a pro was going to pack it in and even became a taxi driver for a while.
    Wilson has played very well this tournament would not be surprised if the pressure gets too much for Trump. Trump expected to win gives even more pressure.

Isnt Gilbert a long time pro too,who's only come good this year?

Wilson playing the best out of all for me...like to see him win it...come on Gazza!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Not a Higgins fan at all but kind of glad Robertson was beaten . Couldn’t watch much more of him having to check every angle of every shot . That added to the fact that he beat nobody in the first round and Murphy who had no interest judging by the amount of time he was spending in the studio yet for some strange reason they were making him unbeatable in bbc studios. Would like to
    See trump win it at this stage and being honest he will never get a better chance

Woodsie1 wrote: »

Gilbert will turn 38 in June and has been a pro since 2001, although he didn't accomplish all that much until recently. It's something of a Stuart Bingham story, where he's performing much better late in his career than he did early on.

He reached the final of the German Masters this year, losing 9-7 to Kyren Wilson. Earlier this year, he also achieved the 147th 147.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,978 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gilbert will turn 38 in June and has been a pro since 2001, although he didn't accomplish all that much until recently. It's something of a Stuart Bingham story, where he's performing much better late in his career than he did early on.

He reached the final of the German Masters this year, losing 9-7 to Kyren Wilson. Earlier this year, he also achieved the 147th 147.

He's fresh looking for late 30s. Must be from taking it easy in his career so far. Have to say the snooker he played in the second round was beautiful. It wasn't always flash but it was really effective.

On a separate note, I cant help thinking John Higgins is benefiting from the longer matches. His match play is excellent but He's not always brilliant to watch because a lot of his play is strategic but when he sets up a difficult, hi pressure, shot, he's the one i'd bet on nailing it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Higgins is brilliant.

On their best day over 35 frames nobody in history beats Higgins for me. Complete player, with no weakness, and so strong in all areas of the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

walshb wrote: »
    Higgins is brilliant.

On their best day over 35 frames nobody in history beats Higgins for me. Complete player, with no weakness, and so strong in all areas of the game....
    Absoultley. Higgins is an unbelievable matchplayer and thrives in the longer format. I'd fancy him to take Trump in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 19,978 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

grape86 wrote: »
    Absoultley. Higgins is an unbelievable matchplayer and thrives in the longer format. I'd fancy him to take Trump in the final

I'd fancy Higgins against lots of players in the long format. But trump's strategy and safety has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years. His flair often takes the headlines but his matchplay is not to be sniffed at these days.

Still I take your point and would probably fancy Higgins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Was really wanting to see a trump/robertson final, but I think its higgins to lose now. I cant see trump beating him. Higgins will just grind him into submission and trump tends to lose all momentum and fluidity against slower paced / longer games and matches.

Would still love to see trump win it. :)

Woodsie1 wrote: »

Wilson playing the best out of all for me...like to see him win it...come on Gazza!:p

You are right about Gilbert turned Pro 2002 with possibly the best snooker nickname? - 'The Angry Farmer'. He used to plant trees and pick spuds on his Dad's farm.

Gilbert:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/players/david-gilbert/

Runner up in three ranking finals all between 2015-2019 (Most recent German Masters) - has two 147's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilbert_(snooker_player)

Has made over 200 centuries

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?player=118

Gary Wilson:

Gary Wilson's best year was reaching the 2015 China Open final.
    He also won the 2004 world u21 title.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/players/Gary-Wilson/

Wilson has two 147's to his name got to the last 32 of the world championship 2017 (I would lying if I said I remember him in it)

• Advertisement

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Was really wanting to see a trump/robertson final, but I think its higgins to lose now. I cant see trump beating him. Higgins will just grind him into submission and trump tends to lose all momentum and fluidity against slower paced / longer games and matches.

Would still love to see trump win it. :)

I think Higgins can mess with Trump's brain. I always feel that for all Trump's talent sometimes his head goes and he loses focus.
    Personally I would like to see Wilson/Gilbert win it after thier years of slogging or Higgins to get his five would be great.

Trump has that self entitled vibe at times 'I am great player and due'. World Champ in his head already over the years Then looks baffled when he loses.
    In fairness to Trump he has cut out all the 'sexy snooker' guff and seems to be taking things more serious these days.

Advertisement