Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ronnie O'Sullivan tipped Kryon Wilson as future world champion sometime earlier this year because he has the 'bottle' etc.

Ronnie also once tipped Stephen Maguire to go on and dominate the game when the latter was making his breakthrough, so i wouldnt always go on the great man's predictions ;)

But i do think attitude goes a long way, especially in this tournament which is totally unlike any other on the calendar. That said, kyren not exactly in the groove this morning, but i'd expect him to pick it up a bit as the match progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Annoying the way BBC and Eurosport always seem to be showing the same match when there's 2 on. Is it in their contracts or something? Or is it always obvious to the true snooker buff which is the more attractive fixture?

It's usually an easy choice to be honest. I don't think it's contractual or anything like that.
    This afternoon isn't clearcut though, could make a case for either being the main game so might be lucky and have both shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Wilson's little shuffle and cue movement before each shot had my head wrecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Gary Wilson came back from 0-3 down against Carter to win five frames in a row, so it's 5-3 to him after the first session.

Kyren Wilson and Gilbert ended level at 4-4 on the other table.

Looking forward to this afternoon. Hoping Higgins raises his game against Robertson. Maguire/Trump could be a one-sided affair unless Maguire plays a lot better than he did against Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Here we go, Higgins v Robertson. Robertson in great form, JH the master. Has the potential to be a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Here we go, Higgins v Robertson. Robertson in great form, JH the master. Has the potential to be a classic.

Or a facile victory for Robbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

There’s a bit of a bbc love in going on with Robertson at the moment . He’s unbeatable nearly according to them . I’m not buying it just yet . Higgins has had chances to win both 2 frames so far . Ok Robertson was good v Murphy but to me it looked like Murphy couldn’t wait to get knocked out to get to studio !

Trump 4-0 up on Maguire at the interval. Two centuries from Trump, including a 131 in the first frame. Don't see Maguire rising to the occasion here -- more likely that Trump will cruise to victory.

This afternoon isn't clearcut though, could make a case for either being the main game so might be lucky and have both shown.

Nope, same one again. although tbh it seems a pretty obvious choice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ding is the most frustrating player to follow, all the talent in the world, but this infuriating inconsistency, about a decade ago I thought he'd be a nailed on World Champion, now I'm beginning to doubt that.

Can a snooker player be described as being 'too nice' ?
    He does not seem to want to go out and destroy players which he is well capable of.
    But more often that not he seems to wilt when a bit of pressure is put on him as well.
    I remember when Hendry was in his pomp he was ruthless and used to even try to win with a session to spare so he could have a rest.
    I know the strength and depth was not as strong in Hendry's day but that ruthless streak seems crucial at the top level.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Speaking of finishing off opponents with a session to spare ... Trump leads Maguire 7-1 and has every chance of going through in two sessions.

Can a snooker player be described as being 'too nice' ?
    He does not seem to want to go out and destroy players which he is well capable of.
    But more often that not he seems to wilt when a bit of pressure is put on him as well.
    I remember when Hendry was in his pomp he was ruthless and used to even try to win with a session to spare so he could have a rest.
    I know the strength and depth was not as strong in Hendry's day but that ruthless streak seems crucial at the top level.

Possibly engaging in dubious stereotyping here, but is that ruthless streak generally lacking among Asian players, with their apparent stoicism and zen calm? And perhaps underlying awareness of the fundamental triviality of sport. Similarly there's a lot of good Asian golfers out there, but only one with a major win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Bit of table maintenance taking place during a session? Unusual. Davis and Hendry not pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Possibly engaging in dubious stereotyping here, but is that ruthless streak generally lacking among Asian players, with their apparent stoicism and zen calm? And perhaps underlying awareness of the fundamental triviality of sport. Similarly there's a lot of good Asian golfers out there, but only one with a major win.

You might be on to something there.

Marco Fu, Wattana etc - all as calm as anything.

But there is always one exception:

Dechawat Poomjaeng

@2:46 is my fav when he was warned about the 'three miss' rule. :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Ronnie in Eurosport studio for his sins

spurshero wrote: »
    There’s a bit of a bbc love in going on with Robertson at the moment . He’s unbeatable nearly according to them . I’m not buying it just yet . Higgins has had chances to win both 2 frames so far . Ok Robertson was good v Murphy but to me it looked like Murphy couldn’t wait to get knocked out to get to studio !

Shades of Trump in 2015. Couldnt play a safety shot that year without a commentator going "there's the new judd trump for you", but the old one soon resurfaced and he crashed. Looking like he's closer this year for sure. Higgins will be quite happy tonight, after robbo coming in fresh from a 3 day break and potting everything in sight, and he hung in for 4-4. Am sure he'd have quite happily accepted 3-5. Fascinating battle of styles that one, i'm on higgins for the title but cant be too confident either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Does anyone know the name of the female BBC presenter who was just on?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the female BBC presenter who was just on?

Seema Jaswal. Impressed with her snooker knowledge is it? Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

Anyone any advice about attending, I'm there for 1st time for evening session on Thurs... any ettiquette I should know, time to arrive, prep I should make etc? Hoping for trump v carter... also hoping to send Mrs shopping on Fri morning and take in the early session but have no ticket, is there cancellations to be got on scene?? Tks a mil in advance

Wilson, G misses two absolute sitters to take an 8-5 lead and Carter trails just 6-7 instead. Going to be some mugging in these games tonight i feel before anything gets settled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Mad frame in the Wilson Gilbert match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Mad frame in the Wilson Gilbert match.

Horrible way for Wilson to lose that frame

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Anyone any advice about attending, I'm there for 1st time for evening session on Thurs... any ettiquette I should know, time to arrive, prep I should make etc? Hoping for trump v carter... also hoping to send Mrs shopping on Fri morning and take in the early session but have no ticket, is there cancellations to be got on scene?? Tks a mil in advance

If you jump on quick there's a ticket for sale on the official website:

https://www.cruciblesnooker.com/iframe.html?load=book-seats&id=156208

Hope you'll see this in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gilbert potted one of the best straight long pots I have ever seen on a red...

Wilson applauded it in his seat..

Corker it was!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Before tonight I knew very little about Gilbert, he's been impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

eric hoone wrote: »
    Ronnie in Eurosport studio for his sins

And dressed like a bleedin’ vagrant. Him and White. Could’ve smartened up a bit..

God snooker pundits do spout some platitudes.

Jimmy White: "If there's one thing we can say about Kyren Wilson it's that he won't give up." Is there a player in the whole tournament he wouldn't say that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Arrive about 30-45 mins before the session to have a look round the place and put your coat in the cloakroom etc.

Go to the jacks just before the session starts and at the mid session interval, whether you need to go or not. Nothing worse than squirming in your seat needing to pee in the middle of a frame. If you go out you won’t be let back in until the frame is over.

Bring in a bottle of water in case you get a tickle in your throat. If you start coughing badly it’s mortifying. Buy an earpiece for the commentary.

If you wait outside the side entrance after the session you can get your program or tickets signed by the players.

Some tickets could be available at the on site box office if you queue up there from about 9am or so.

It’s awesome being there, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

definitely going next year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Make sure phone is off, and no noisy sweet bags! :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement