Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭waynescales1

12-12. Cahill has to be favorite, Maguire is a mess, he can’t make 8.

Maguire just cannot handle the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭This is it

Watching the last frame on the bus :D come on James!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭This is it

I've no sound, what's happening with Jan!?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Off the break Maguire makes a hames of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

This is it wrote: »
    I've no sound, what's happening with Jan!?

Director wanted to lift dividing wall was gonna wait for other table to finish but decided against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's probably the end of the match. Poor safety by Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sligeach wrote: »
    That's probably the end of the match. Poor safety by Cahill.

Yep Maguire through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Well, that's Maguire through 13-12, but somehow I don't think this will be Cahill's last trip to Sheffield. Very impressive debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Maguire wins his 2nd final frame decider in a row after losing his previous 5 at the crucible. Delighted for him but he needs to improve a lot to go any further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not really watching long sessions this year,half hour /45 mins here and there but have seen a lot today and am surprised by the small amount of kicks I've seen. Have they come up with a magic cure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not really watching long sessions this year,half hour /45 mins here and there but have seen a lot today and am surprised by the small amount of kicks I've seen. Have they come up with a magic cure?

There's a new chalk a lot of the players are using that seems to be eliminating a lot of the kicks. Only downside is its expensive, 20 yo-yos a stick apparently, so a few skinflints (eg Trump) are sticking with the old cheapo triangle stuff. They do say you tend to get the odd miscue with the new stuff, but i think that threat diminishes once you adapt to it.

Defending champion Mark Williams in trouble now. Gilbert leads him 11-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Loving the competition this year. I wonder Where Matthew Stevens is this year.? Is he off boil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone got a decent stream for the Williams match?

Was watching in on BBC and then it switched off...

Steviesol wrote: »
    Loving the competition this year. I wonder Where Matthew Stevens is this year.? Is he off boil

Stevens is now down to 48 in the world, so had to play in the qualifiers, where he was beaten in the third round by Tian Pengfei.

Anyone got a decent stream for the Williams match?

Was watching in on BBC and then it switched off...

Don't have any streams, sorry. But Gilbert has won this frame with a 139 break to go 12-8 up at the interval. Looks very ominous for Williams now.

On the other table, Trump leads Ding 3-1 at the midsession interval.

If you have a betting account, powers or betfair or one of those, you can watch it free on their sites. Otherwise eurosport player only option i think.

Ding very slack so far, should be 2-2 at worst, wonder if that will be story of the match! Imagine Mark will just go for his shots now, devil may care time, can be dangerous in that kind of mood but surely too much to do here.

Can't see it happening for Mark Williams tonight. He's not playing well, was in hospital yesterday, and generally looks like he's not interested in being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Stevens is now down to 48 in the world, so had to play in the qualifiers, where he was beaten in the third round by Tian Pengfei.

Okay thanks for clarifying. Unusual not to see him

Champ is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Only one previous champion will make the last four this year. Quite an open championship, someone like Zhou Yuelong could go very deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ding rallied v Trump he is now 5-3 behind. Trump looks sickened as he should be miles ahead.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Mod: Just a note, posting links to illegal streaming sites is against the charter, don't want to see any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Maguire v Cahill was fantastic viewing earlier. Give me that drama and tension every time.

Shame to not see Williams put up a better defence of his title. Gilbert looked to be playing pretty well from what I saw though.

Thought Trump v Ding was going to be amazing but it wasn’t the high quality affair I expected. Up for grabs for whoever can up their game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There's a new chalk a lot of the players are using that seems to be eliminating a lot of the kicks. Only downside is its expensive, 20 yo-yos a stick apparently, so a few skinflints (eg Trump) are sticking with the old cheapo triangle stuff. They do say you tend to get the odd miscue with the new stuff, but i think that threat diminishes once you adapt to it.
    I've seen an awful lot of kicks but perhaps not the huge kicks of old.
    I'd be very wary of swapping chalk myself.
    If the other one increases the likely hood of miscues, well that to me would suggest it's not a good. Also, I find there is nothing worse than a miscue to put me off my game. Destroys confidence and puts timing completely out the window for a while.
    To suggest it's anything to do with cost for the top pros is nuts. I'm sure they get buckets of the stuff given to them anyway.

mickdw wrote: »
    I've seen an awful lot of kicks but perhaps not the huge kicks of old.
    I'd be very wary of swapping chalk myself.
    If the other one increases the likely hood of miscues, well that to me would suggest it's not a good. Also, I find there is nothing worse than a miscue to put me off my game. Destroys confidence and puts timing completely out the window for a while.
    To suggest it's anything to do with cost for the top pros is nuts. I'm sure they get buckets of the stuff given to them anyway.

There'll always be bad contacts for a variety of reasons (atmosphere, static, dust, etc) but there's absolutely no question, if you watch snooker on a regular basis, that the preponderance of kicks has been substantially reduced and, while there may still be some disagreement on it, the overwhelming consensus is that the new chalk is the primary reason for it. You can even see in some matches that the tell-tale sign of chalk marks on the cloth is absent. On the miscues, again i think the consensus would be that the slight chance of a miscue is a more than acceptable price to pay for the greater reassurance that you wont get a terrible kick at a crucial part of a match. I believe the majority of top pros have changed by this stage so that's the telling stat.

As regards the cost, i very much doubt the makers hand that stuff out for free as the pros and other top players would be their primary market. Comment about trump was a bit glib, i'd admit, if he prefers to use the old stuff for his own technical reasons, then that's entirely up to him and fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not a Shaun Murphy fan, at all, but this short interview is very revealing, and shows the effect bullying has on people.

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1121893333062901761?s=20

I knew he hated Rushden and you can see why (plus its a pretty tough small town anyway).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Not a Shaun Murphy fan, at all, but this short interview is very revealing, and shows the effect bullying has on people.

Sounds horrific. :( He's also spoken out recently about how trolls have targeted him on social media because of his weight. It's not a very pleasant world we live in anymore.

Kyren Wilson in trouble already, as Hawkins leads him 4-0 at the midsession interval. Looking forward to Ding/Trump this afternoon.

Not to put the jinx on it but as good a chance for a max as you'll see this.

Edit: and i immediately put the hex on it! Unlucky with the canon.

• Advertisement

You'd think Wilson has to win this frame to have any sort of shout

Advertisement