Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    That’s how twitter works from what I can tell. All it takes is an accusation and then the troops are mobilized. Discourse and reason take a back seat and whateverphobic and toxic become fact.

Yeah pretty much. I hate Twitter as its basically a platform for soap boxing. The character limit does not make it a place for rational discussion of anything to take place (Facebook has gone that way too but for other reasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't see an issue with that thread really, seeing as it's mostly pics the women themselves have shared. Pretty much I've worked damn hard to look like this, so Ima show it off.

The posts aren't lewd, you're allowed think a woman is attractive without being a perv. Have the same thread on Reddit and see what gets posted.
    Also wouldn't have an issue with a male equivalent thread, more than one occasion I've thought, he's a good looking fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    One kinda off colour comment over how many years and pages of the threads existence?

That’s the point I’m making Lith. There’s very little issue from what I can see. A minion on twitter saying “let’s be honest, they only look at the thread for one reason”. I mean for Christ sake. Do these individuals honestly think looking at beautiful people is morally objectionable? I don’t have Instagram or Twitter so the very odd time I’ll have a look at the Diva thread. Do you know what, sometimes it’s nice to look at someone you might find attractive. Shocking, isn’t it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The pictures thread has had about 85 posts in it over the last 12 months. Only 40 posts are visible since the start of 2020.

Apart from a few of Scarlett Bordeaux's pictures and .GIFs, the majority of the posts are just really pretty pictures. The overtly sexualised material seems to be recycled relics from the era of Trish Stratus, Stacey Kiebler and Kelly Kelly.

As has been mentioned a few times, lecherous and sleazy comments aren't tolerated either. I dunno.

Necro wrote: »
    The character limit.

I’d say that kills our essay-loving resident Right To Censor member :D

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    l
    Also wouldn't have an issue with a male equivalent thread, more than one occasion I've thought, he's a good looking fella.

Andrade, Angel Garza and Santos Escobar are all unfairly handsome bastards.

Oops, are we allowed to curse?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There are similar threads of sorts in After hours of the hottest men and women in the world and I would say more pictures posted there are a hell of lot more lewd than the ones posted in the wrestling thread.

If Liz wanted to start a Christian thread for the hottest man in the world I'd have no issue with that either and I might actually agree with her :)

There are posters who just want to be heard and shout very loudly to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I don't see an issue with that thread really, seeing as it's mostly pics the women themselves have shared. Pretty much I've worked damn hard to look like this, so Ima show it off.

The posts aren't lewd, you're allowed think a woman is attractive without being a perv. Have the same thread on Reddit and see what gets posted.

I think one of the reasons we haven't descended into full blown perversion, is because most here know what's alright to post, and what could be deemed NSFW/if ya wouldn't show your mother, you wouldn't show anyone else - hypothetically speaking.

And if say someone would maybe accidentally post something risque/NSFW, it's either usually caught quickly by someone here, or BH, Lord TSC or Jay are usually quick on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭kksaints

A lot depends on the type of comments the thread attracts. I don't think there's another sport forum on boards that has a thread like it except possibly soccer. I remember an attempt to set up a thread like it on the horse racing forum which was closed quickly by mods and cmods and I think bans handed out.

It's sort of a grey area particularly when most if not all of the posts are either photos taken or put up by the women themselves or photo shoots that they agreed to participate in without been forced. Personally I think the thread is fine once comments are kept to a minimum and the photos are ones that the women have agreed to participate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Omackeral wrote: »
    That’s how twitter works from what I can tell. All it takes is an accusation and then the troops are mobilized. Discourse and reason take a back seat and whateverphobic and toxic become fact.

Now the pro wrestling section of boards is full of misogynistic creeps according to whoever follows that profile, which includes plenty from the Irish Wrestling community. A cowardly and low effort.

It's how it works, if that's what you use/or tailor your use towards it for.

But it can also be used for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

kksaints wrote: »
    A lot depends on the type of comments the thread attracts. I don't think there's another sport forum on boards that has a thread like it except possibly soccer. I remember an attempt to set up a thread like it on the horse racing forum which was closed quickly by mods and cmods and I think bans handed out.

It's sort of a grey area particularly when most if not all of the posts are either photos taken or put up by the women themselves or photo shoots that they agreed to participate in without been forced. Personally I think the thread is fine once comments are kept to a minimum and the photos are ones that the women have agreed to participate in.

Exactly, we're (mostly) mature enough not to go on like neckbeard thirsty bois.
    Nothing wrong with looking at a picture of an attractive woman, or man, and thinking they're easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There are similar threads of sorts in After hours of the hottest men and women in the world and I would say more pictures posted there are a hell of lot more lewd than the ones posted in the wrestling thread.

If Liz wanted to start a Christian thread for the hottest man in the world I'd have no issue with that either and I might actually agree with her :)

There are posters who just need to be heard and shout very loudly to be heard.

Edge > Christian

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Isn't it mostly just pictures of Cathy Kelley and Charly?

I don't know, it's a bigger issue facing wrestling in general at the moment I think. For years women have been treated as eye candy first and wrestlers second (if at all) but now it's changing and very quickly..too quickly for everyone to adapt. And even then being physically attractive is still a big part of American wrestling/entertainment, also for the men..so it's not even clear what everyone has to adapt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Exactly, we're (mostly) mature enough not to go on like neckbeard thirsty bois.
    Nothing wrong with looking at a picture of an attractive woman, or man, and thinking they're easy on the eye.

Exactly, but according to Leggo, any of us that follow that thread or post to it are exactly that.

I normally stay silent when he goes off on one, posting walls of text. However, I felt personally attacked in his original post. There's a time honoured tradition here - attack the post, not the poster. He literally called a load of us "w@nkers" and that to me is unacceptable.

So stupid and illogicial. Does he actually think there are swathes of posters on here PM'ing each other, discussing masturbation over specific ladies in wrestling - no, that doesn't happen.

For me, when posting to that particualr thread, i'm not sharing anything that hasn't been put out on Social media channels, or has been taken & shared professionally. I see it as no different to using the "share" button that is built into literally every social media platform that these images are posted to in the first place.

And now, he's gone off on Twitter trying to validate his post, calling out Boards in general, and questioning Mods decisions (he's basically said now that the Mods here "freaked out" and were not able to make a call on a big topic, and therefore made an "awful decision" by banning him. For a week. Jesus, ego much?

Mods here are always even handed. Always. All are good guys, and its not an easy job at times. He was given friendly advice by all three mods, and instead of taking that in the spirit it was meant, he continued.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm not going to get massively into a discussion about moderation, cause a public forum is not the place for it. I will say I'm massively disappointed to hear Leggo is kicking up a fuss about it (and I'd appreciate if someone could Pm me a link cause it's now sadly relevant to the case at hand). (EDIT: Thanks to those who have sent the link)

I think most posters on here are given a tonne of leeway. Probably too much at times. I think I've issued less than a dozen cards in my entire time here as a PW Mod. So to hear claims of a "freak out" or whatever, especially from a poster who has gotten a lot of slack in recent months, is incredibly disappointing. All points of view are welcome, obviously. And sometimes that can devolve from rigorous debate into needless personal attacks.

At the same time, Mod Hat on: While the discussion about the thread in question is relevant to modern discussions, discussing banned users is unfortunately not. As a mod, i have to ask people not to discuss, or take personal shots, at banned members (no matter what their behaviour has developed into off-site). Feel free to continue discussion about that thread, and I can speak on behalf of all the mods when I say we're reading the critiques and such with very open minds. But I think we'll have to say no more discussions about banned users going forward. Thanks.

He has tagged the Boards twitter feed so you may find it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I've just spotted the comparison to a racist jokes thread. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,892 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Put some respect on JP Liz’s name.

Yes last time I checked all female ;)

I've no issue with the diva thread maybe I should start a male one

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes last time I checked all female ;)

I've no issue with the diva thread maybe I should start a male one

C'mon now Liz, there would only be one male featured and we all know it!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    C'mon now Liz, there would only be one male featured and we all know it!

Of course 5 second pose of awesomeness

• Advertisement

Is Ziggler the biggest wasted opportunity by the WWE to create a huge star in the last 20 years.

The guy has it all the looks the ability the mic skills and he has IT to an extent.

The the ****ty booking and not pulling the trigger at the right time with him to break the glass ceiling just sent him into a mid card flip flopper for the last decade.

Is Ziggler the biggest wasted opportunity by the WWE to create a huge star in the last 20 years.

The guy has it all the looks the ability the mic skills and he has IT to an extent.

The the ****ty booking and not pulling the trigger at the right time with him to break the glass ceiling just sent him into a mid card flip flopper for the last decade.

Hugely disappointed in how he's been handled. He is certainly an over seller, but I guess Shawn could have been considered the same back in the day.

He has all the tools in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Getting that concussion after his cash really killed his momentum as well but then they did the double turn With del Rio after that but wwe booking destroyed that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Ziggler's cash-in is probably in my top 3 wrestling moments of the 2010s along with Punk beating Cena and Bryan's title win at WrestleMania.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ziggler is one of those guys who can look magnificent in defeat, and thus is always booked to lose.

WWE has a history of that, frustratingly. Bryan, Bray, Ziggler, ...because they are so amazing in the ring, and make their opponents look amazing too, they are always booked to lose. And then they have the charisma to cut a decent promo and get people back on side.

Imagine if WWE always booked Rock and Austin and HBK to lose every feud because they could cut a promo to get back on top of things. Its so stupid.

Edge > Christian

th?id=OIP.ZTHdWcHGzJAcGCggq1ckHQHaD4&pid=Api&P=0&w=296&h=156

• Registered Users Posts: 39,756 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As if things aren't bad enough wrestling wise this week is the 13th anniversary of the Benoit tragedy.

I still remember that day for I didn’t know about Benoit till I heard Vince

I was so confused when I waited up to see what happened with Vince and he appeared on screen and it only got worse from there

I still remember that day for I didn’t know about Benoit till I heard Vince

I was so confused when I waited up to see what happened with Vince and he appeared on screen and it only got worse from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As if things aren't bad enough wrestling wise this week is the 13th anniversary of the Benoit tragedy.

Summer I done my leaving

Remember saw it on a wrestling news site and the headline read something like 'Breaking news Chris Benoit and Family found dead'. I remember the Raw tribute raw and can't remember where I heard the real truth but think it was before Vince made the announcement

Advertisement