Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm sure those of us who remember the year 2005 and before will remember Mohammad hussan and that whole gimmick. We know that he was getting over as a heel by honestly feeling Americans things that weren't all that wrong and foreign heel pointing out home truths about America is like fishing with a bag of lime. It always get the desired outcome.

And he was great in the ring and a good promo. Unfortunately the 7/7 London bombings happened and in awful timing the WWE had a segment on smackdown involving guys in ski masks attacking the undertaker in the ring. Random though is why didn't they make an actual effort to repackage the guy and take him off TV and let the anger die down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say because they had already taken it too far and controversy creates cash. And so his career was ruined.
    I remember when the first video happened he came across as a face but as the weeks went on he was apparently mistreated and became heel because of that.
    Having him as a terrorist at all was a bad idea. I'm surprised Daivari still had a career after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I agree, he was a great character and how legitimately he got over was a testament to how effective he was. I loved that character, real shades of grey stuff: an American-born character who spoke with an American accent and palpably wasn’t a terrorist, but looked a certain way so it still brought out the ugliness lurking within the audience. A serious take on the Borat/Bruno type of satire. But WWE can’t deal with nuance so they **** themselves when it started to actually work the way they probably wanted it to when brainstorming to begin with.

I see why, given that, they couldn’t bring him back because if the decision was that it was nuclear and counterproductive, then the risk was too high. But they should’ve at least given him the JTG treatment and kept paying him for years while off TV, because the guy’s only ‘crime’ was doing exactly what he’d been told very well. Who truly knows though? Maybe they did, or maybe he didn’t want to be contracted and not used.

Just reading on wiki about him. Basically he retired from wrestling when he was only 23

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Did he lose interest in wrestling and want to become an actor

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    Did he lose interest in wrestling and want to become an actor

He became a teacher. I'd lose interest in wrestling if your career ended in the way it did which was beyond your control.

From wikipedia
    After leaving WWE, Copani went back to college and became an educator. He has since worked for schools in New York State and is currently the principal of Fulton Junior High School

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I finally did something I never wanted to, but have been recommended 50 times

I actually watched "Simon Gotch Buries Enzo Amore" on Youtube

I wonder if wrestlers are actually being called in as needed now or are they expected to turn up to tapings even when not being used. I know they had to turn up before when they had live crowds but things are different now so no dark matches or meet and greets

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id say a secuirty job with WWE is a nightmare Prob well paid but youre in fear constandly and prob hoping for something too happen. The amount of screams etc you have to endure

The guys who the superstars attacked arent secuirty but lower card wrestlers. Theres guys everywhere on ringside which you dont notice much on cameras. The commentary table is pretty guarded and even a guy directing the few fans behind it when the camera is on it

The refs also pack away the ring which is never mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id say a secuirty job with WWE is a nightmare Prob well paid but youre in fear constandly and prob hoping for something too happen. The amount of screams etc you have to endure

Ah jaysis really?!

16 years ago tonight the match between JBL and Eddie guerrero happened where eddie bladed way too deep and had one of the bloodiest WWE title matches I can remember.

To make a conversation of it, I got to actually do security at a few WWE shows in The Point way back. It was deadly craic beforehand, a mate of mine got to have the chats with Ric Flair and I saw Finlay going through the women’s match with Melina and (if someone knows her opponent from memory good on you). The show was a nightmare to work though, it’s so hard being a wrestling fan and having to have your back to most of the action. Plus kids galore.

leggo wrote: »
    To make a conversation of it, I got to actually do security at a few WWE shows in The Point way back. It was deadly craic beforehand, a mate of mine got to have the chats with Ric Flair and I saw Finlay going through the women’s match with Melina and (if someone knows her opponent from memory good on you). The show was a nightmare to work though, it’s so hard being a wrestling fan and having to have your back to most of the action. Plus kids galore.

Say it is

Could be a while if/before it actually happens but NXT UK takeover could possibly be different as it's a brand for the hardcore fans

I remember the NXT show being a lot more adult (but also a lot smaller as a result). It wasn’t kid-free, parents just see ‘WWE’ and go, but definitely a different vibe than the usual house show and for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

leggo wrote: »

Sword Security right?
    I did a few gigs working for them back in the day. Man I was a fuc*ing mark looking back :pac:

I'd stay in my post and do what I was told. Then on the last time I did it (Boyzone, 2008) I was like feck this no one is checking on me so I went to watch the gig. Standing at the end of the isle of a random bleacher like I was meant to be standing there :pac:

Yeah it was, a lot did that tbh. The worst part of it was that if you were new and did that and got caught, you’d get fired. But then you learned that when you were experienced and had a bit of clout, everyone did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Revival gave up a number of their trademarks to get an early release from the WWE if they had held on for another week Vince more than likely would have released them when he did the mass releases.

It's probably happened somewhere that I don't know of

But I'd love to see a Battle Royal start off with everyone playing safe and doing nothing, even just for a minute, I think it'd be an alright spot

So Dave meltzer has on twitter said that nick Jackson of the young bucks is the modern day bobby eaton and the young bucks are the modern midnight express. I mean I may not be a huge of the young bucks and they are good in the ring but Jesus Christ not a hope nick Jackson will ever be near as good as bobby eaton was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Dave meltzer has on twitter said that nick Jackson of the young bucks is the modern day bobby eaton and the young bucks are the modern midnight express. I mean I may not be a huge of the young bucks and they are good in the ring but Jesus Christ not a hope nick Jackson will ever be near as good as bobby eaton was.

Can't wait to hear what Jim has to say about this!!

The first wwe super showdown event in 2018 was in Australia

Seemed a bit odd why Australia was chosen that time ??

It's probably happened somewhere that I don't know of

But I'd love to see a Battle Royal start off with everyone playing safe and doing nothing, even just for a minute, I think it'd be an alright spot

Hmm. Different.
    Not sure it would work. You'd have twenty men in the ring just standing there. No real reason for not doing anything.
    If there was some big new guy right in the middle and WWE wanted to establish others are "cautious" to push him as a monster it would tell a story.

Problem then is you wouldn't want anyone in there who you held with regard. Just bodies. Lower card guys.

Alternatively... hmm what if there was a reason to NOT get eliminated first apart from the obvious losing factor. Something like a storyline where the first out gets fired - so everyone is like whoa hang on get away from me. Then as soon as the first gets eliminated it's on. While the first out can carry that as a storyline going forward. It was unfair blah blah. Might be a good way to do a heel turn for said wrestler too at the same time.

My two cents anyways :p

Hmm. Different.
    Not sure it would work. You'd have twenty men in the ring just standing there. No real reason for not doing anything.

Well if you're playing poker with 9 at the table, do you go straight for the action or sit back and let others do all the work?

Sometimes you play it safe, I just think a wee spot for a minute of people sort of standing off each other would be alright for a spot

Well if you're playing poker with 9 at the table, do you go straight for the action or sit back and let others do all the work?

Sometimes you play it safe, I just think a wee spot for a minute of people sort of standing off each other would be alright for a spot

I get where you are coming from. Oh and for the record I am not arguing with you. Consider my replies fleshing the idea out..

That said, would it make sense without some sort of story element? Such as a motivation etc.
    Also most battle royales have a lot of guys. Visually you'd have 20 (even more guys) on top of each other.

The stand off / feeling each other out has happened in battle royales and rumbles before when it comes down to 4 guys. All taking a corner so there is a visual separation and visually telling a story.

I think in order to "break the expected start" of a battle royale there'd have to be something to say why people are cautious. As without that fans would be screaming go at it already :p

I get where you are coming from. Oh and for the record I am not arguing with you. Consider my replies fleshing the idea out..

That said, would it make sense without some sort of story element? Such as a motivation etc.
    Also most battle royales have a lot of guys. Visually you'd have 20 (even more guys) on top of each other.

The stand off / feeling each other out has happened in battle royales and rumbles before when it comes down to 4 guys. All taking a corner so there is a visual separation and visually telling a story.

I think in order to "break the expected start" of a battle royale there'd have to be something to say why people are cautious. As without that fans would be screaming go at it already :p

I suppose ya, like I said I'm thinking of it as a spot and since it's between we'll say 20 in a battle royal I don't think a story element is needed, it can just be a random standoff in my world anyway, whether its any good or not who knows :pac:

They've done the 4 corners thing a lot in recent Rumbles ya, that sort of works in its own way cause guys will be tired after x time in it with y eliminations

If people can cheer Orange Cassidy they can stomach this :D

Could do it in a way where a group of lower card guys have made a plan beforehand to seemingly fight among themselves away from the others and make multiple fake attempts at eliminations then when the numbers dwindle they team up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I wonder how till WWE start releasing new theme songs, their YouTube music channel is rarely updated.

They used to do a good job releasing songs very quickly compared to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

EC3 should use is real surname and call himself Double H.

• Advertisement

Yesterday the 21st of May was the twentieth anniversary of the first appearance of the American badass version of the undertaker at judgement day 2000. I still know where my tape of that show is in my parents house is because I found it last Christmas.

Advertisement