Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jesus, Lacey! Health and safety...

Qf70Svr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

https://youtu.be/tnjcUTJpJqc

RoH-NJPW Madison Square Garden Supershow last year, for free, all five hours of it....

You're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think the Rock used to cut some brilliant promos during the Attitude era. One of the best talkers they had at the time, if not *the* best. But one thing that always bothered me a bit about his style was when he was feuding with another wrestler, he didn't miss an opportunity to make a bit of a joke out of the other guy. Like, take Big Show for example. Once Rock made fun of Big Show's chokeslam taunt, with the mocking 'Eurrughughgugh!!", it was never as possible to take Big Show as seriously after that. And he cut down Jericho as well on Jericho's debuting night in WWE.

Again, Rock had a natural talent for cutting highly entertaining and funny promos, but they did miss an element of putting the other guy over when talking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

briany wrote: »
    I think the Rock used to cut some brilliant promos during the Attitude era. One of the best talkers they had at the time, if not *the* best. But one thing that always bothered me a bit about his style was when he was feuding with another wrestler, he didn't miss an opportunity to make a bit of a joke out of the other guy. Like, take Big Show for example. Once Rock made fun of Big Show's chokeslam taunt, with the mocking 'Eurrughughgugh!!", it was never as possible to take Big Show as seriously after that. And he cut down Jericho as well on Jericho's debuting night in WWE.

Again, Rock had a natural talent for cutting highly entertaining and funny promos, but they did miss an element of putting the other guy over when talking about them.

Part of what made The Rock's character popular was his ability to trash talk other wrestlers and cut them down on the mic I think. You're right to a degree. He was merciless on the mic. Billy Gunn wasn't the same after The Rock totally destroyed in that one promo after Summerslam 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Rock when he came back was awful on promos. Fruity Pebbles and Kung Po Bitch were among some of the worst insults ever. Cena and Punk were miles ahead of him. I hated him on his return and was staunchly in the Cena camp, which I’ve never been. When he hosted WrestleMania and showed up a few times after, it was just masturbatery.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Rock when he came back was awful on promos. Fruity Pebbles and Kung Po Bitch were among some of the worst insults ever. Cena and Punk were miles ahead of him. I hated him on his return and was staunchly in the Cena camp, which I’ve never been. When he hosted WrestleMania and showed up a few times after, it was just masturbatery.

Who could forget:

'...and it's trending on Twitter... Right..Now....'

Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Instagram and social media in general ruined The Rock’s coolness. He became one of these addicts who just hopped on whatever topic was getting all the likes and said the most dramatic thing possible. I’d say he’d still be the absolute craic to hang out with if you got him off camera, the charisma he had/has is undeniable, but he’s very much someone who’s conscious of managing his public image now. You can’t argue with success because the world in 2020 eats that **** up but...yeah...it led to some dud promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The undisputed title belt was the last great WWE title design. There's been the spinner belts and now the same design different colours one which if one belt was like that then fair enough but all the single world titles look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How come Lex Luger is not mentioned much around the wrestling world ??

I knw he got pushed more than the actual ability he had but what happened him is astonishing.

One day in perfect shape and after a freak accident (supposedly turned his neck the wrong way on a flight) confined to a wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How come Lex Luger is not mentioned much around the wrestling world ??

I knw he got pushed more than the actual ability he had but what happened him is astonishing.

One day in perfect shape and after a freak accident (supposedly turned his neck the wrong way on a flight) confined to a wheelchair

I knew he wasn’t right but didn’t know he was in a chair

• Advertisement

Imagine in 97 if someone said Bill Alfonso would look better than Lex Luger one day

Luger and Bill

Omackeral wrote: »
    Imagine in 97 if someone said Bill Alfonso would look better than Lex Luger one day

Luger and Bill

You'd have gotten big odds on it. Bill Alfonso looks younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bill looks great and looks younger than he did in the 90's.

And just on Luger I know he was in really bad shape a good few years ago but I'd never heard he was in a wheelchair but maybe he was.

I did see an interview of his recently(not a recent interview) and he seemed lucid and happy which was good to see. I was never a fan of Luger even as a nine year old I didn't see the appeal. I wasn't a fan of hogan or warrior either so maybe that was part of my dislike. I've been more a fan of Bret hart, randy savage, ric flair, Ricky steamboat who I feel are more than kick and punch guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't Luger involved in the death of Elizabeth? Not directly, but think they were together when she died.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't Luger involved in the death of Elizabeth? Not directly, but think they were together when she died.

Yes they were together when she died.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Done a double take when I first read this...thought it was OSW's Jay. Luckily it's just some moron with the same name
    https://411mania.com/wrestling/promotions-cut-ties-jay-hunter-racist-tiktok-video/

He went and called someone a Nogger

wwe superstars on this apparently

https://youtu.be/87-ZFjLfBAQ

Anyone think NXT UK brand could be gone very soon

I knw they have invested in the performance centre there

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone think NXT UK brand could be gone very soon

I knw they have invested in the performance centre there

Well seeing as the nxt uk roster are not being cut and being fully paid then no. It may happen depending on how long this lasts but as of now no.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well seeing as the nxt uk roster are not being cut and being fully paid then no. It may happen depending on how long this lasts but as of now no.

I think they're on a very low basic of £25k and if only one or two come out of there and hit it big, they've paid for it ten times over.

The WWE would be far better off to downsize NXT and get rid of the whole 'school' aspect of it. Jim Cornette hit the nail on the head the other week - people who've started their career in NXT and only ever been in the WWE system have never really been in the wrestling business. There is no comparison between a guy who's only ever been through the WWE system and one who's been around the world working in different territories. Those 'homegrown' superstars on the roster have as much depth as an overnight-famous X-Factor singer to me.

What I'd like to see WWE do is kind of reboot the territory system in a way and give loans to maybe a dozen promoters in different parts of the US to start their own promotions or improve the facilities a bit, with a talent sharing deal where big WWE guys would come down to these places once in a while to help out on houses. From these promotions you could eventually start seeing a steady feed of talent with dimension and depth who are the finished article by the time they come up to the show.

Let NXT remain in existence as a place for Triple H to hone his booking skills, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Bruce Prichard is a spoofer albeit an entertaining one, but my heart broke for him hearing him breakdown over Howard Finkel.

Having seen so many friends of his pass, it's just a reminder that you'd want to be a tough mother****er to last as long as he has in Pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Then at the end of that podcast he stuck to the party line about how hard a week it has been for the WWE family with the lay offs. Fcuk him and his phoney sadness it’s right up there with Stephanies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Then at the end of that podcast he stuck to the party line about how hard a week it has been for the WWE family with the lay offs. Fcuk him and his phoney sadness it’s right up there with Stephanies.

I don't know....I can literally see Stephanie peeling back the mask at night.

Prichard is a clown and of course he's toeing the company line on the lay offs, but I don't think you can fake that level of emotion he showed at the start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The WWE would be far better off to downsize NXT and get rid of the whole 'school' aspect of it. Jim Cornette hit the nail on the head the other week - people who've started their career in NXT and only ever been in the WWE system have never really been in the wrestling business. There is no comparison between a guy who's only ever been through the WWE system and one who's been around the world working in different territories. Those 'homegrown' superstars on the roster have as much depth as an overnight-famous X-Factor singer to me.

What I'd like to see WWE do is kind of reboot the territory system in a way and give loans to maybe a dozen promoters in different parts of the US to start their own promotions or improve the facilities a bit, with a talent sharing deal where big WWE guys would come down to these places once in a while to help out on houses. From these promotions you could eventually start seeing a steady feed of talent with dimension and depth who are the finished article by the time they come up to the show.

Let NXT remain in existence as a place for Triple H to hone his booking skills, though.

I agree it would be logical to get people experience.

A lot of people who get to WWE after working as a performer elsewhere can't connect with the WWE audience either so there is no single way to do it that is perfect.

Were WCW wrong to make Goldberg, Were WWE wrong to make Brock or Angle? How about Batista or Orton, Reigns or Charlotte?

I think they have started to look at what you are asking for by linking up with and putting people in Evolve like Babatunde.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I agree it would be logical to get people experience.

A lot of people who get to WWE after working as a performer elsewhere can't connect with the WWE audience either so there is no single way to do it that is perfect.

Were WCW wrong to make Goldberg, Were WWE wrong to make Brock or Angle? How about Batista or Orton, Reigns or Charlotte?

I think they have started to look at what you are asking for by linking up with and putting people in Evolve like Babatunde.

Out of Goldberg, Angle and Brock, Goldberg is still considered to be a sh*te wrestler by many who has hurt people inadvertently in the ring and has to be protected with short matches. Angle and Lesnar on the other hand are considered freaks in their ability to pick up the wrestling business with no prior experience. Orton, Reigns and Charlotte are obviously from wrestling families. Batista's probably their best example of a manufactured wrestler. Well, him and Boogeyman.

And in Batista's case, he still went through OVW with Jim Cornette which was still run like an honest to goodness wrestling promotion. The problem with what WWE is doing at the moment is they're trying to apply this kind of scientific Henry Ford process to manufacturing wrestlers where there are promo classes, and this state of the art athletic facility with a physio on hand. It just feels so controlled and sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Goldberg rules

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Out of Goldberg, Angle and Brock, Goldberg is still considered to be a sh*te wrestler by many who has hurt people inadvertently in the ring and has to be protected with short matches. Angle and Lesnar on the other hand are considered freaks in their ability to pick up the wrestling business with no prior experience. Orton, Reigns and Charlotte are obviously from wrestling families. Batista's probably their best example of a manufactured wrestler. Well, him and Boogeyman.

And in Batista's case, he still went through OVW with Jim Cornette which was still run like an honest to goodness wrestling promotion. The problem with what WWE is doing at the moment is they're trying to apply this kind of scientific Henry Ford process to manufacturing wrestlers where there are promo classes, and this state of the art athletic facility with a physio on hand. It just feels so controlled and sterile.

You final paragraph suggest they only bring people with no wrestling history at all. That is simply not true. Current main roster has likes of Rollins, Nakamura, Owens, Zayn, Cesaro, Andrade who were in NXT/development but not in the same way as a novice.

I agree with your general point that more experience is a good thing. I just think in balance that there is no single correct way or approach that has to be taken. A Montez Ford or Big E or Dolph Ziggler have as much place on the current roster as an Andrade or Zayn.

Advertisement