Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone going to the premiere of the million dollar man documentary ??

https://www.facebook.com/104248651179675/posts/113876543550219/

What's the hype for him really??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone going to the premiere of the million dollar man documentary ??

What's the hype for him really??

Ya can watch that Price of Fame on Amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Oh, and with Blood and Guts upcoming, Brodie Lee would be perfect for a debut here...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I posted this in the nxt thread but I'll post about it here. What are people's opinions on the humble cage match ? I think every promotion has ****ed up what is an amazing gimmick match but this escaping the cage is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't that the only way to win years ago? I seem to remember Hogan fighting Big Boss Man in a steel cage where the only way to win was escaping the cage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't that the only way to win years ago? I seem to remember Hogan fighting Big Boss Man in a steel cage where the only way to win was escaping the cage

Yeah escaping the cage has been around as long as I can remember cage matches, it’s not a new rule (in fact I remember as a kid seeing pinfalls in a cage and thinking it was weird), but people harken back to this mysterious “good old days” of cage matches that never actually existed like people who say ‘Make America Great Again’ referring time a time when black people had no rights and polio ravaged the nation.

In reality some cage matches are good, some are bad, some use certain stipulations well, some are better without certain rules, same as it ever was. There was never a period of wrestling where every single match of a certain type was incredible, it’s just that with time the bad gets forgotten. People do the same saying they ‘ruined’ HIAC like it was once perfect...but in doing so they forget that one of the first HIAC matches was the abysmal Undertaker/Bossman, there was another weird HIAC tag-team match on Raw once and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I posted this in the nxt thread but I'll post about it here. What are people's opinions on the humble cage match ? I think every promotion has ****ed up what is an amazing gimmick match but this escaping the cage is stupid.

Did the recent Cody/Wardlow cage match have the rule where if you escape, you lose? That's a great rule. Really adds to the "No getting out of here" vibe a cage match should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    Did the recent Cody/Wardlow cage match have the rule where if you escape, you lose? That's a great rule. Really adds to the "No getting out of here" vibe a cage match should have.

Yes and it's a rule that demands thought on how to book the match as opposed to WWE's rigid formula on gimmick matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think one of the issues with cage matches is that it used to be used for the final matches of a feud or were the snivelling heels coundnt get away or partners now it’s just a match

Joe v Kobashi up for free on RoH YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/Whi7usNNd6s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

80s/90s hogan looked 20 years older than he actually was ha

It slowed down for a period and then raced back up ha

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hogan with no facial hair is bizarro world stuff

y9av9x7nd4431.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Nal wrote: »

Say what you will about Hogan, but he was smart to the business. He wasn't the most technical of wrestlers in America but it didn't mean he didn't know how to wrestle. His work in Japan showed he was more then that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hogan with no facial hair is bizarro world stuff

y9av9x7nd4431.jpg

https://youtu.be/jIoL_ttPC7o

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Say what you will about Hogan, but he was smart to the business. He wasn't the most technical of wrestlers in America but it didn't mean he didn't know how to wrestle. His work in Japan showed he was more then that.

Work smart. Why wrestle when you can headlock, pose, bump once, Hulk up, boot, leg drop

Even at that the leg drop messed up his back, he said himself he wished he used the axe bomber as a finish in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    80s/90s hogan looked 20 years older than he actually was ha

It slowed down for a period and then raced back up ha

The dreaded "Double ha"

Hogan in Japan was almost like a whole other character. I remeber seeing an interview with him one time, while WWF Champ, where he shít on the title, calling it a Toy title or something along those lines, while expressing his desire to win the IWGP title, which he considered to be a "real title"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jim Cornette will sh*t on Hulk Hogan, but will praise Flair, and that seems odd to me because they're very similar.

Both worked on top using a safe and predictable style

Both did their share of politicking behind the scenes

Maybe it's just because Cornette has a hard-on for the old NWA, of which Flair was the poster child.

You can't take this away from Hogan: he's been a draw for over 40 years. You could still have his name on a card and people would come to see him. You can't go that long and not have something about you other than hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

briany wrote: »
    Jim Cornette will sh*t on Hulk Hogan, but will praise Flair, and that seems odd to me because they're very similar.

Both worked on top using a safe and predictable style

Both did their share of politicking behind the scenes

Maybe it's just because Cornette has a hard-on for the old NWA, of which Flair was the poster child.

You can't take this away from Hogan: he's been a draw for over 40 years. You could still have his name on a card and people would come to see him. You can't go that long and not have something about you other than hype.

In fairness that’s just fandom happens all the time now if there fans of them they’ll just ignore the bad and focus on what they choose to like

Maybe I missed it but is there a reason why peyton Royce and billie Kay are off TV and live events for what seems like a long time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They are terrible?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it but is there a reason why peyton Royce and billie Kay are off TV and live events for what seems like a long time ?

No idea if it’s true but remember hearing they we’re going to be repacked and if so it’d make sense to hold off re-debuting them until after the busy mania season.

Shouldn't Roman Reigns be self isolating ASAP as he has a highly compromised immune system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

The Iconics were apparently given leave so they could go back to Australia during the bushfires

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Watching YT videos this afternoon. You know the types. The "Top 25" moves of Rick Rude, Brock Lesner, Test etc. etc.

I love the idea of movesets. What are your favourites?

Hard to look past Bret Hart's 5 moves of doom. Am a sucker for a good fallaway slam so would rate Scott Hall and JBL.

A present really like Bray Wyatt's stuff.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Watching YT videos this afternoon. You know the types. The "Top 25" moves of Rick Rude, Brock Lesner, Test etc. etc.

I love the idea of movesets. What are your favourites?

Hard to look past Bret Hart's 5 moves of doom. Am a sucker for a good fallaway slam so would rate Scott Hall and JBL.

A present really like Bray Wyatt's stuff.

Five moves of doom.

1. Russian leg sweep
    2. Second turnbuckle on the inside with an elbow drop
    3. Sharpshooter
    4. Chest first into the turnbuckles

I've drawn a blank on the fifth one and not even sure my no4 is a move. It's more of a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

His beautiful backbreaker or the inverted atomic drop.

Btw that spot where Bret takes chest first into the turnbuckle was ****ing great, and the camera crew deserve a lot of credit for how it looked as well.

Given that we have a lot of free time on our hands. I rewatched the Austin vs Bret hart match from wrestle mania 13 and even 23 years later that match holds up. The shot of Austin bridging out of the sharpshooter with blood dripping down his face is iconic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ShagNastii wrote: »

But can Cena’s 4 moves of doom really be beaten though?

Advertisement