Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

briany wrote: »
    There's plenty of room for male wrestlers to look relatively fat and sloppy, even at the top level.
    Think this was meant for the other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

briany wrote: »
    There's plenty of room for male wrestlers to look relatively fat and sloppy, even at the top level. Mick Foley looked like a bum but was still hugely over in his day. Is there the same leeway for women in this era of the 'Women's Revolution'? It seems to me that it's a hard sell, and there's still a lot more pressure on female performers to look beautiful, and it sort of ruins the illusion of someone petite like Alexa Bliss being a legitimate competitor when put in the ring with, say, Awesome Kong.

They did have Nia Jax beat Alexa Bliss at Mania 34 with the story being of acceptance of who you are etc since Alexa was bullying Nia for being fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

16 years ago today Eddie guerrero beat brock lesnar for the WWE title in the cow palace. One of my favourite moments as a wrestling fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    16 years ago today Eddie guerrero beat brock lesnar for the WWE title in the cow palace. One of my favourite moments as a wrestling fan.

That and WM20 were my last memories of wrestling before I went to college and lost interest for a couple of years.

Thought Takeover was on tonight.

Shíte.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Thought Takeover was on tonight.

Shíte.

Nope tomorrow. It's kind of weird as takeovers are always Saturdays in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

It's also the first Takeover in ages without a WWE PPV on the same weekend.
    Kinda prefer the Saturday shows but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

That and WM20 were my last memories of wrestling before I went to college and lost interest for a couple of years.

I found WM 20 to be solid if a little underwhelming vs the hype around it. Eddie and Chris at the end was a great moment though. I've always found MSG to look a bit naff for wrestling events at least back when the aisle was on the hard cam and half the regular length.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Watching an old wcw ppv just to have on as in drifting off and genuinely laughed out loud at Bobby heenan. Fall brawl and rey mysterio blows out his knee and is obviously in agony cant stand rolls out of the ring.

Anyway Eddie Guerrero and Billy Kidman are his tag partners they continue the match and win as rey just stands away from the apron so after the match they all go out as doctor is talking to Rey. Eventually the 3 lads pick him up to carry him out as the commentators worry about Rey. Heenan with his impeccable timing just goes, what is he too lazy to walk out.

Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Heenan was a legend. He very well could be the best heel manager of all time. The best heel commentator of all time and One of the best overall characters of all time in WWF/WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I already knew that Kurt Angle wrestled with a broken neck at the Olympics but thinking about it now. Couldn't he have been disqualified from the competition? Not just for the broken neck, but for being given drugs to numb the pain. Seems a bit shady to me.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/kurt-angle-my-quality-of-life-right-now-sucks/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I already knew that Kurt Angle wrestled with a broken neck at the Olympics but thinking about it now. Couldn't he have been disqualified from the competition? Not just for the broken neck, but for being given drugs to numb the pain. Seems a bit shady to me.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/kurt-angle-my-quality-of-life-right-now-sucks/

A lot of things were shady in the 90's! :pac:
    Is there a medical before competition in the Olympics? (too lazy to Google) I guess if he withheld information during that, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

If you haven't watched Icarus, for an insight into Olympic doping, then you should!

The Panama Sunrise annoys me. What does adding a delicate little hop down from the second rope add to a Canadian Destroyer?

Nevermind the fact that commentary screams like it's the Stunner/People's Elbow and Tombstone all rolled into one despite it never even finishing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All going well for edge hopefully this Orton match is only a one off and he works with some else for Summerslam and Survivor series (I'm presuming he will only do the big 4)

Summerslam vs Styles
    Survivor Series vs Rollins or McIntyre for the title

Would be good to see Edge back for a decent run.
    On that, I don't get the whole "age" thing in WWE. It's slowly becoming not an issue any more but for many years if you were over X age you were seen as too old and past it.

I remember around 2007 if you were over 30 years old WWE wouldn't even sign you! (unless you were an established name) Guys like PCO are proving there is still gas left in the tank in their 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

On the other hand, you've got Undertaker who's been hobbling around for the past 3 or so years, and don't get started on Goldberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

On the other hand, you've got Undertaker who's been hobbling around for the past 3 or so years, and don't get started on Goldberg.

in fairness goldberg could never go

Taker can still look good if put in the right situation like his tag with roman vs shane and drew which was a lot of fun

Yup. As long as a guy can go.

That's what she said

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Today is the birthday of the late great Buddy Rogers.

• Advertisement

Today is the birthday of the late great Buddy Rogers.

Speaking of the late great buddy rogers the YouTube video below is a match between himself and another legend in Lou Thesz from 1950 in Chicago. Very enjoyable(imo at least) wrestling match from 70 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Speaking of the late great buddy rogers the YouTube video below is a match between himself and another legend in Lou Thesz from 1950 in Chicago. Very enjoyable(imo at least) wrestling match from 70 years ago.

That match was better and felt more real than all the flippy shìte that goes on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brock vs Fury will headline WM within 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus the value of the fiend is going to be right down when owl big bill beats him for the title

A match with Cena at mania could save him a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The value of the fiend drops when he gets in the ring

But I do like the character and presentation but I just don’t have anything to his matches

sky88 wrote: »
    The value of the fiend drops when he gets in the ring

But I do like the character and presentation but I just don’t have anything to his matches

I watched his Rumble match with Bryan there. I can't take him seriously as a 'monster heel' when his gear is so unflattering to his physique. He's a great talker and in interesting character, but in ring, I don't get it

brianblaze wrote: »
    I watched his Rumble match with Bryan there. I can't take him seriously as a 'monster heel' when his gear is so unflattering to his physique. He's a great talker and in interesting character, but in ring, I don't get it

That's all you need tho.
    Warrior's entrance was great. So hyped and pumped. But let's be honest when the bell rang you were hardly gonna see the match of the night in terms of technical ability :p

Personally I find the Fiend to be meh myself. But it seems to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

That's all you need tho.
    Warrior#s entrance was great. So hyped and pumped. But let's be honest when the bell rang you will hardly gonna see the match of the night in terms of technical ability :p

I think it's less about technical ability and more about star power. You can get away with lack of ring ability in WWE, amany of their biggest stars of their respective generations were either average (or just plain bad) workers by the standards of their day or they produced their best bell to bell stuff outside of WWE. It's never been a company that emphasizes ring work as the most important thing, it's the charisma of the wrestler, the look, the entrance, the big moments ect.

All of that being said, Wyatt is an embarrassment. To non-fans he provokes no response only "why do you watch this?" he has no crossover appeal, he doesn't draw, he never draws in any of his gimmicks.

That's all you need tho.
    Warrior's entrance was great. So hyped and pumped. But let's be honest when the bell rang you were hardly gonna see the match of the night in terms of technical ability :p

Personally I find the Fiend to be meh myself. But it seems to be over.

Warrior looked like a genetic experiment though, Wyatt looks like a Halloween trick or treater who's only allowed in the ring because he won a prize.

Maybe it's the WWE Vince focused image thing, but Wyatt doesn't look like a monster heel. All the great masked non selling wrestlers looked the part. Kane and Vader being the obvious, but even Muta, who wasn't a big guy, was still believable as a non selling gimmick monster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mankind scared the ****e out of me back in the day.

Advertisement