Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The thing about Bray though is that he's probably one of the most unique characters in WWE right now I think that helps a lot. Today's wrestlers are more about workrate now then character work and that's why wrestling isn't as appealing today as it was in the 90's. I mean sure you had your technical wrestlers like Bret Hart, but the character work was much better back then.

Bray would have fit in nicely in the 90's and 80's I think, but a lot of guys in WWE today would have been an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The thing about Bray though is that he's probably one of the most unique characters in WWE right now I think that helps a lot. Today's wrestlers are more about workrate now then character work and that's why wrestling isn't as appealing today as it was in the 90's. I mean sure you had your technical wrestlers like Bret Hart, but the character work was much better back then.

Bray would have fit in nicely in the 90's and 80's I think, but a lot of guys in WWE today would have been an afterthought.

Sadly, Bray would have been one of the dudes fed to Hogan I'd imagine in the early 90's.

Maybe he's best served as a manager for a dude like Babtunde or one of the giants they have who can't talk. He would be an awesome Kevin Sullivan type with a stable of rotating monsters to keep him safe until the babyface finally gets their hands on him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did anyone who watched the latest episode of the new documentary series find it weird that they showed Christ Benoit clearly on screen ? They didn't mention his name but any documentaries they've made since 2007 that might include him they've worked around it and not showed him. I was watching it last night and when they got to the part about ortons win at summerslam 2004 I was curious how they'd handle it but they showed Benoit.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did anyone who watched the latest episode of the new documentary series find it weird that they showed Christ Benoit clearly on screen ? They didn't mention his name but any documentaries they've made since 2007 that might include him they've worked around it and not showed him. I was watching it last night and when they got to the part about ortons win at summerslam 2004 I was curious how they'd handle it but they showed Benoit.

They cut around him about as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The problem with Benoit is that he was a big part of WWE in the early 2000's. A lot of wrestlers got their best matches from Benoit, and Randy Orton's biggest moment came from beating Benoit for the World Heavyweight Championship at Summerslam so it's kind've hard to completely ignore him altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus when it suites Vince and co all those problems are swept under the rug

They said they wont consider doing a uk/European PPV cause of the time difference but here they are doing the Saudi shows and its even a more troubled time for american viewers

Yeah but auld Queen Lizzy wasn't throwing cash at them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Said this in the Saudi thread but I'm finished with the WWE now outside of NXT, Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. It's insulting garbage.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Said this in the Saudi thread but I'm finished with the WWE now outside of NXT, Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. It's insulting garbage.

Stopped watching anything but youtube clips and Twitter gifs\ years ago! OTT does me nicely for a monthly-ish graps fix!

brianblaze wrote: »
    Stopped watching anything but youtube clips and Twitter gifs\ years ago! OTT does me nicely for a monthly-ish graps fix!

Same here. I also really am enjoying AEW Dynamite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm so sick of WWE, and Vince's decisions. The man is a lunatic, and not in a good way. He's showing little of the "genuis" he's often renowned as, and seems to be getting more and more erratic in his decisions. Its no surprise to see so many want out from under the WWE umbrella.

I have stopped watching most WWE content, with the exception of some PPVs (not all) and youtube clips. And i would have considered myself one of the more die hard fans, consuming every ounce of WWE i could find from the time i was about 5 or 6, up to about 5 years ago (i'm 36 now).

There's no logic to anything. Goldberg beats The Fiend. Why. Why was this man given a title shot? What's the logic - "oh, he never got his automatic rematch". Right. Wait and see what will happen now. The Fiend will set his targets on John cena next. His title loss will hardly be mentioned. Nor his right to a rematch. This will be ignored. He'll just move on to the next thing, Big Bill will move onto Roman, and that will be that.

And Vince will see Roman's 400 year long push as a "success", crowning him at Wrestlemania by beating Goldberg, and "accepted" by fans, cos the likelihood is, fans will cheer Roman over Goldberg anyhow.

So much needs to change. 50/50 booking - so stupid. Lack of logic. Stupid shít like banning words such as belt. Changing wresters (yes Vince you cúnt, WRESTLERS) names, because overnight he doesn't like someone having 2 names. And then changing them back again. Stupid decisions like all of a sudden having every single tv match be 2 out of 3 falls.

2 title changes on what is, for all intents and purposes, a glorified house show, all for that sweet Saudi blood money. It boggles the mind what's going on. It's little wonder so many fans find AEW satisfying. For a company that hasn't even been established a year, they are doing a lot right (and of course they aren't perfect).

WWE have been in business for over 50 years (with Vince Jnr at the helm for about 40 at this stage), and for a company to be in business this long, and get so many things wrong, is mind boggling to me. Really, the worst thing that could have happened to WWE is for them to buy up their own competition and become this absolute monster of a company that it now is.

I really hope AEW move to Mondays and put on a second show to run in direct competition to Vince in the future. Competition is good for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I have never liked the idea of part-time champions, even when The Rock was WWE champion going into WM 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm so sick of WWE, and Vince's decisions. The man is a lunatic, and not in a good way. He's showing little of the "genuis" he's often renowned as, and seems to be getting more and more erratic in his decisions. Its no surprise to see so many want out from under the WWE umbrella.

I have stopped watching most WWE content, with the exception of some PPVs (not all) and youtube clips. And i would have considered myself one of the more die hard fans, consuming every ounce of WWE i could find from the time i was about 5 or 6, up to about 5 years ago (i'm 36 now).

There's no logic to anything. Goldberg beats The Fiend. Why. Why was this man given a title shot? What's the logic - "oh, he never got his automatic rematch". Right. Wait and see what will happen now. The Fiend will set his targets on John cena next. His title loss will hardly be mentioned. Nor his right to a rematch. This will be ignored. He'll just move on to the next thing, Big Bill will move onto Roman, and that will be that.

And Vince will see Roman's 400 year long push as a "success", crowning him at Wrestlemania by beating Goldberg, and "accepted" by fans, cos the likelihood is, fans will cheer Roman over Goldberg anyhow.

So much needs to change. 50/50 booking - so stupid. Lack of logic. Stupid shít like banning words such as belt. Changing wresters (yes Vince you cúnt, WRESTLERS) names, because overnight he doesn't like someone having 2 names. And then changing them back again. Stupid decisions like all of a sudden having every single tv match be 2 out of 3 falls.

2 title changes on what is, for all intents and purposes, a glorified house show, all for that sweet Saudi blood money. It boggles the mind what's going on. It's little wonder so many fans find AEW satisfying. For a company that hasn't even been established a year, they are doing a lot right (and of course they aren't perfect).

WWE have been in business for over 50 years (with Vince Jnr at the helm for about 40 at this stage), and for a company to be in business this long, and get so many things wrong, is mind boggling to me. Really, the worst thing that could have happened to WWE is for them to buy up their own competition and become this absolute monster of a company that it now is.

I really hope AEW move to Mondays and put on a second show to run in direct competition to Vince in the future. Competition is good for everyone.

Interesting that you've mentioned this, as Cody has hinted at it, down the road if possible.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/2020/02/19/cody-rhodes-aew-dynamite-move-different-night-five-years-monday-night-wars-wwe-raw/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

AEW would be beaten on Mondays easily right now they need to be getting consistently over million till they consider mondays.

AEW just had one of the best run ins to a ppv in years and didnt gain viewers while NXT has been poor

They just need to keep putting out great shows and hopefully will gain viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know what you mean.
    I love wrestling. I always will. But I haven't watched WWE on a weekly basis in years. Man, the 80s and more so the 90s wrestling was awesome.

Now that I'm older, hopefully a little wiser, I realise that that the golden age of wrestling was just all right timing and luck. I'm sure Vince McMahon is a genius in many ways but he nor anyone in WWE doesn't know how to re-create that. It's just slinging mud against a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

WWE has been beyond horrible for years, don't know how people could stomach watching it consistently on a weekly basis these days.

Between NJPW, AEW, MLW, OTT, RevPro, Dragon Gate and more there's a lot of quality stuff out there and very easily accessible, which I'm very glad for as I don't have to watch McMahon's tripe anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks for the spoiler on Goldberg I was just gonna sit down and watch it. I assumed there was no spoilers out side of the rumours and super showdown thread. Especially as the event only took place yesterday :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote: »
    Thanks for the spoiler on Goldberg I was just gonna sit down and watch it. I assumed there was no spoilers out side of the rumours and super showdown thread. Especially as the event only took place yesterday :(

Oh no, Lough the only thing to do is post a video calling out Omackeral :pac:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was gerrybbadd actually :pac:

Well, at least it prepared you for it! I watched it in GIF form...

Says a lot for the match really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro going full heel throwing innocent Omack under the bus. Very Jake Roberts of you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think wrestling is gone to the dogs because the matches are too long and overcooked. Many featuring average sorts that I have no reason to be engaged in.

Even with NXT I fast forward through most of the matches and watch the talking parts.

Then if I am interesting in the match because of the talking bits, backstage stuff etc I have seen I will watch the matches with those wrestlers.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Necro going full heel throwing innocent Omack under the bus. Very Jake Roberts of you.

Right through the Barbershop window

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm sorry brother, that was an oversight and totally unintentional. I'd never do that on purpose

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »

No no I would never...

tumblr_ox0bcrvaG81u2ragso1_500.gifv
    Right through the Barbershop window

Oh alright then :pac:

DigitalYearlyKakapo-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Omack trying to escape, the coward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭ThePott

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I mack trying to escape, the coward
    ARE YOU BLIND?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,150 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jack Gallagher got a new tattoo...

cl4vnhru9sj41.png

Stop laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »

cl4vnhru9sj41.png

Stop laughing.

What the actual ****. Why does he have a massive ship tattoo on his chest ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

J. Marston wrote: »

cl4vnhru9sj41.png

Stop laughing.

I've heard of a nip slip before but never a nip ship

Advertisement