Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That gif reminds me of watching the end of the streak live and I can't remember a crowd gettting that silent so fast. And then the fact they didn't play brocks music straight away was great. There was two gasps I assume because it took a couple of seconds for the whole crowd to realise what has happened. I hated the fact the streak ended but the way it was handled when it did was really well done.

I was working nights and the fella I was in with was that shocked by it he forgot to submit the payroll hours for that week haha

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/rusevbul/status/1242488793665376256?s=21

A random thought is that Russev is a stand up guy. Kind of confirms what you hear about him being well liked.

Rusev's making Braun Strowman look like an even bigger dickhead for his recent comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Rusev's making Braun Strowman look like an even bigger dickhead for his recent comments.

Yeah Braun Strowman wasn't looking great before this and even Jim cornette called strowman a " big fat ****" when he heard what strowman had said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah Braun Strowman wasn't looking great before this and even Jim cornette called strowman a " big fat ****" when he heard what strowman had said.

Braun Strowman - if that is his real name - picked the wrong time to grandstand.

briany wrote: »
    Braun Strowman - if that is his real name - picked the wrong time to grandstand.

I mean at best it comes off as tone deaf given the times we are in and at worst he comes across as someone who never has to struggle as an indie wrestler and you'd hope his attitude isn't widespread in the performance centre.

• Advertisement

I mean at best it comes off as tone deaf given the times we are in and at worst he comes across as someone who never has to struggle as an indie wrestler and you'd hope his attitude isn't widespread in the performance centre.

It's hard to know exactly what they're being told in the PC. I would imagine they have a work ethic drilled into them, and I can only imagine that they do indeed work quite hard. But I agree with Cornette - it's not the same thing as paying wrestling dues. You're never going to get the next Stone Cold Steve Austin from a PC trainee. Greats like him have many years of experience to draw on from many different places, working with many different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In normal times, I get why WWE guys have this attitude. They have to spend their entire lives taking unprovoked digs from people who’d probably give up all they have and trade jobs and bank balances with them in a heartbeat if they could, being called sellouts by people who’d drop the high ground and sell out themselves at their first opportunity. So, as arrogant and childish as it looks to bystanders like us, they’re gonna play that card ten times out of ten because it gets to the root of the issue.

But the timing and the reaction it was going to always get...ah Braun...

leggo wrote: »
    In normal times, I get why WWE guys have this attitude. They have to spend their entire lives taking unprovoked digs from people who’d probably give up all they have and trade jobs and bank balances with them in a heartbeat if they could, being called sellouts by people who’d drop the high ground and sell out themselves at their first opportunity. So, as arrogant and childish as it looks to bystanders like us, they’re gonna play that card ten times out of ten because it gets to the root of the issue.

But the timing and the reaction it was going to always get...ah Braun...

Yes it's the timing that makes it worse. It's clear that whether you were a wrestler on the indies before or you are fresh into wrestling it's not a picnic and if you can't succeed in the best system of its kind then WWE probably isn't for you. Even Jim cornette while calling Braun strowman out was at pains to point out he wasn't saying they didn't work hard.

The only trait where the PC only trained wrestlers was shown during the charlotte flair and Kairi mess at the end of last year. Becky and asuka were able to shift gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

While he never had to struggle as an indie wrestler he did compete in strongman, so I'm sure he knows how tough it can be at the lower levels which makes his timing about this silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

WWE has too much talent. They've signed so many people just to ensure AEW and NJPW dont have them. Most of the talent they have is used poorly and suffers as a result.

So much talent going to waste its mindbiggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There could be cost cutting talent cuts coming after this crisis ends especially if it last a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching the Benoit documentary made me wonder again what happened Malenko. He joined the same time as Eddie and Chris yet didn't seem to stick at it for long before moving backstage.
    I'm not too familiar with his work, but my understanding is he was an early version of the likes of Bryan and Gulak? So probably would've fared better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kind of odd how Drake Maverick (as Rockstar spud) won a TNA UK bootcamp once upon a time and was impressive enough but hes in WWE just making up the numbers with a semi decent programme with the 24/7 title and being GM of a 205 live who nobodys gives a toss about

Quite a lot of names in NXT UK were part of this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNA_British_Boot_Camp

He's not even GM anymore. Can't remember the last time I saw him on it

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Himself and R-Truth have disappeared since the gave up on the 24/7 title being a comedy belt.

Also one of the best things they had in the previous 6 months or so.

Truth got the title back now. And I think in the current climate, this would be the perfect time to show the more lighthearted side and take advantage of the title being defended out in the open

Seeing the bit on Smackdown about Kofimania, made me realise I had completely forgotten about that even though it was only last year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It would be the perfect opportunity to book a full PPV based around the Hardcore title being defended backstage and the other annoying backstage brawls/matches, basically all the Crash Holly style segments rolled together and presented as one continuous event, interspersed with an Iron Circle or two :pac: Cancel every other title shot and have every who is willing to wrestle at the moment take part in it, sure it'd be a mess, but better than empty stadium wrestling

It would be the perfect opportunity to book a full PPV based around the Hardcore title being defended backstage and the other annoying backstage brawls/matches, basically all the Crash Holly style segments rolled together and presented as one continuous event, interspersed with an Iron Circle or two :pac: Cancel every other title shot and have every who is willing to wrestle at the moment take part in it, sure it'd be a mess, but better than empty stadium wrestling

Would be humourous to just randomly, without actually acknowledging it at all, have a match on, and in the background, in the 'audience', have some wrestlers randomly hammering the sh/te out of each other for the belt.

Or have them run down the ramp, around the ring and through the arena to escape each other.

Ala Kane/Raven/Big Show at WrestleMania X7.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

For anyone who has watched Tiger King...

fho5kcfxddp41.jpg

• Advertisement

Just watching raws from may 2002 and Austin hasn't taken his ball and went home yet but a lumberjack from may 14th between booker t and Austin was a sloppy mess. In a weird way him leaving got us the match at wrestlemania 19 with the rock, because maybe it's hindsight not being as forgiving as it sometimes is but Austin may not have made it to mania the next year if he hadn't taken time off. He looks bad in the ring here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-Slx8XFBBx/?igshid=lui35b6o5n7t

Rock talking about he and Austin's Mania feuds.

Just rewatching old Smackdowns, is Carlito's theme the most annoying loop ever? It just restarts with the cold start every 30 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Just rewatching old Smackdowns, is Carlito's theme the most annoying loop ever? It just restarts with the cold start every 30 seconds

That’s every custom wrestling theme song to be fair: recognisable, unique intro, catchy hook designed to be an earworm, repeat. A lot don’t even have a chorus and are just the same loop played out for 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just watching raws from may 2002 and Austin hasn't taken his ball and went home yet but a lumberjack from may 14th between booker t and Austin was a sloppy mess. In a weird way him leaving got us the match at wrestlemania 19 with the rock, because maybe it's hindsight not being as forgiving as it sometimes is but Austin may not have made it to mania the next year if he hadn't taken time off. He looks bad in the ring here.

Didn't Austin have a heart attack at Wrestlemania 19 as well. Strong chance he might not have wrestled at the show if it were decided he couldn't wrestle for health reasons.

And then of course the rumors would have come out that Austin faked a heart attack because he didn't want to job to The Rock or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Didn't Austin have a heart attack at Wrestlemania 19 as well. Strong chance he might not have wrestled at the show if it were decided he couldn't wrestle for health reasons.

And then of course the rumors would have come out that Austin faked a heart attack because he didn't want to job to The Rock or something :D

Too many energy drinks, coffee and exhaustion apparently. Wasn't drinking water for months. His heart was beating out of his chest.

They had to rehydrate him at the hospital with IV bags and he was good to go. Nothing too serious.

leggo wrote: »
    That’s every custom wrestling theme song to be fair: recognisable, unique intro, catchy hook designed to be an earworm, repeat. A lot don’t even have a chorus and are just the same loop played out for 3 minutes.

No this one is much worse,they include the musicless 'i spit in the face..' part in the repeat, which breaks up the catchy hook, listen 4:36 - 5:10. I know what you meant for most themes but this was just lazy

https://youtu.be/wG3Cd0cp19A

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gonna be running a Tag Team tournament outside these parts on the games forum tonight if anyone is interested. All PW members welcome!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058065835/1/#post112992231

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What’s the longest running wrestling storyline can anyone remember seeing?

Jerry Lawler and his hatred for Bret, stu and Helen hart.

And Bret and Owen fued are two that come to mind.

• Advertisement

The worst thing about that music was that it didn't make Carlito cool, ironically. Great wrestling themes get you pumped up and/or tell you the guy coming to the ring is a badass. Carlito's Calypso-tinged theme was never going to do that.

Advertisement