Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Whats the odds on him coming out dressed as an American Indian and starting a cultural appropriation scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Whats the odds on him coming out dressed as an American Indian and starting a cultural appropriation scandal.

Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Mellor wrote: »
    No sane person, who understands how fights are scored, makes are case for McGregor losing.
    Yet here we 3+ years later, and it's still quoted before every fight..

"Sure Mendes was winning until he gassed out."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Has Conor ever got UFC Calibre (outside of SBG Teammates) in to spar for camp? I can't remember it ever happening.

Previous camps have been Cowley,Amateur/Semi pro boxers, Danis.

Do you think its because he has burnt too many bridges? or he does'nt need them?

Cowboy has Yair which is one of the closest comparisions to Conor you could get (unorthodox, movement etc) does Yair train with Cowboy and that is why?

I would have thought maybe Till would have come over as he is on decent terms with SBG...Tall heavier Muay thai guy.

Instead a close friend said Cowley sent 10 lads up from his gym and Conor sparked 4 of them... that's just to feed the ego I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

WTF was McGregor waffling about saying he'll get 80 million for this fight.

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    More nonsense

November 2018 he beat Mike Perry by Sub (12-3)
    January 2019 he beat Alexander Hernandez by KO (10-1)
    May 2019 he beat Al Iaquinta by UD (14-4)

Yes he's on a 2 loss skid against Tony Ferguson due to Doctor stoppage for an eye injury and he was KO'd by Justin Gaethje.

But yeah, that's what classes as a bum on some people eyes!

I think he's a good fighter myself and I fancy an upset and have bet on it. That said, look at his record, huge amount of fights and Zero belts... V's Mcgregor with two belts.. Plus like Mcgregor he's tried various weight classes.
    He only holds some of those accolades because of his activity sure if you're the most active fighter and you can finish fights with a few signature moves, of course you're going to rack up most finishes etc, that's just maths but he's also racked up a lot of losses. He has a 32% loss rate so far in his UFC career.
    McGregor has an 18% failure rate but two belts in two divisions,...he's a different class as he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

More of a chance of Micheal Flattley and himself Riverdancing / lord of the dance out.. actually heard something like this is possible.

Cowboy is a creditable opponent considering the lay off, his scandals, the possibility he wouldn't be as motivated as he now seems. However he has losses, this is equivalent to time he fought Siver maybe a little stronger however that was before Conor got the belt.

Its a test for UFC to see if they can rely on him I would imagine, seems he is on short term deals. They must be licking their lips with his current presented attitude.

Wish I had known he was in as bad shape for Khabib fight I would have sold the Mrs ticket for serious profit lol

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Wish I had known he was in as bad shape for Khabib fight I would have sold the Mrs ticket for serious profit lol

Was he in bad shape?

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

rusty cole wrote: »
    I think he's a good fighter myself and I fancy an upset and have bet on it. That said, look at his record, huge amount of fights and Zero belts... V's Mcgregor with two belts.. Plus like Mcgregor he's tried various weight classes.
    He only holds some of those accolades because of his activity sure if you're the most active fighter and you can finish fights with a few signature moves, of course you're going to rack up most finishes etc, that's just maths but he's also racked up a lot of losses. He has a 32% loss rate so far in his UFC career.
    McGregor has an 18% failure rate but two belts in two divisions,...he's a different class as he says.

to be fair Conor didn't have to put in any spadework to get his 155 shot against Eddie, who also it must be said has done shag all since. Eddie was a soft touch that night and 155 was/is murderers row at times. Conor got a fairly handy champion to knock over.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Was he in bad shape?
    #

He was drinking, he had warm up fights (not spars, tried to beat opponent badly) and after each dissapeared for 3 days with no formal training and possibly drinking.

So he wasn't in the best shape, his cardio after first round was obviously not at its best, plenty of pictures to show him looking wrecked with Khabib holding legs on mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Macdarack wrote: »
    It's a long time since he's added to his records bar appearances, I'm sure he has the records when it comes to "most head punched 'in ufc,' most broken noses', " most cat scanned Fighter " he's a bum.

A bum?
    Good lord, what a clueless post.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The mental gymnastics to discredit Cowboy here is a bit strange. Conor hasn't won a fight in the UFC for 3 years, and is coming off a mental year from a personal perspective.

He will start as a justifiable small favourite but anyone calling this a gimme fight is incredibly misguided.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    The mental gymnastics to discredit Cowboy here is a bit strange. Conor hasn't won a fight in the UFC for 3 years, and is coming off a mental year from a personal perspective.

He will start as a justifiable small favourite but anyone calling this a gimme fight is incredibly misguided.

Indeed. Watch the odds drop when you see him towering over Conor later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

BigMo1 wrote: »

small favourite me hole mcgregor is 1/3 or thereabouts

akelly02 wrote: »
    small favourite me hole mcgregor is 1/3 or thereabouts

He was 1/4 for the first Diaz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

WTF was McGregor waffling about saying he'll get 80 million for this fight.

Are people factoring in all the stuff around this fight? Sponsor deals, media, adverts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Watch the change of tune here next week when Cowboy wins. He will suddenly be rated as the elite of the elite and conor was a hero for stepping up to this level of competition at 170

dashoonage wrote: »
    Watch the change of tune here next week when Cowboy wins. He will suddenly be rated as the elite of the elite and conor was a hero for stepping up to this level of competition at 170

And vice versa if McGregor wins surely?

Is there a presser tonight?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Is there a presser tonight?

Yeah about 1am Irish time
    Are people factoring in all the stuff around this fight? Sponsor deals, media, adverts etc?

He'll get 3 or 4 million for the fight. I just don't believe that the rest adds up to 76 million quid.

I don't believe he made 50m for the Khabib fight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Jesus he's doing loads of media must have been told he has to do it. Maybe he's negotiating power has dwindled a bit. I'd love see cowboy but I wanna see conor win to see where goes from there. Don't like fact he's talking bout boxing fights already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

dave1982 wrote: »
    Jesus he's doing loads of media must have been told he has to do it. Maybe he's negotiating power has dwindled a bit. I'd love see cowboy but I wanna see conor win to see where goes from there. Don't like fact he's talking bout boxing fights already.

He's doing a tiny amount of media compared to the normal 6 month build up, it's just all dropping fight week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

dave1982 wrote: »

He done nothing in the build up to fight week though. I'd say the agreement with the UFC brass was that he'd be left alone to train and then do all the promo work on fight week.

People are biting a bit too hard on his 'thank God' shtick. I don't think we will see a regular pattern of this to be honest.

Like all of Conor's fight's, you will know very quickly the most likely outcome of the fight. He had no pop in his punches vs Khabib, he was pushing everything he threw. I've seen it happen to fighters before where that fast twitch just desserts you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Say's Conor's purse from the UFC is 5million. That is the basic disclosed pay without any additional bonuses.

Then there is sponsorship and % of PPV figures which is where the real money is.

PPV in the states for this fight is $64.99. The Khabib fight did estimated 2.4Million buys so that would bring in $162.5 Million.

Estimates

Purse - 5 million
    Bonus - 5 million
    PPV @ 30% - 48.75 Million
    Sponsorship - 21.25 Million
    Total: 80million

I would well believe the 80million figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Say's Conor's purse from the UFC is 5million. That is the basic disclosed pay without any additional bonuses.

Then there is sponsorship and % of PPV figures which is where the real money is.

PPV in the states for this fight is $64.99. The Khabib fight did estimated 2.4Million buys so that would bring in $162.5 Million.

Estimates

Purse - 5 million
    Bonus - 5 million

I don't get the impression this will get near the PPV buys for the khabib fight. If it does, it'd be up there with McGregor's greatest achievements.

Estimates

Purse - 5 million
    Bonus - 5 million

30%? What would the UFC get from it?
    And where's the sponsorship number coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Guys I know **** all about this sport.

What I want to know is it worth putting a bet on this Cowboy ?

Yeah about 1am Irish time

He'll get 3 or 4 million for the fight. I just don't believe that the rest adds up to 76 million quid.

I don't believe he made 50m for the Khabib fight either.

Would you not understate your earnings incase the taxman comes knocking looking for the wedge of your 80 mil that isn’t there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Would you not understate your earnings incase the taxman comes knocking looking for the wedge of your 80 mil that isn’t there?
    I imagine it's all fully disclosed to the tax man, just not us plebs.

Advertisement