Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Is Conor going to go full BJ Penn and showcase a different striking style?

I noticed on the latest video of him hitting pads that he has changed it up and he also refers to it that latest interview, could be great or BJ level hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't think an interview with ESPN counts as a formal declaration to Revenue.

No, but it’s enough for them to ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well he wont be getting a penny of my dollars.

I'll give him one thing, he makes UFC Embedded interesting. I just can't bring myself to watch some of the others have a video of them packing, then in the airport posing with fans, then getting a haircut and a nice hill walk to finish the episode off.

Cowboy limping isn't a good sign. trying to pretend he stood on lego is even more unsettling.

If you were kicking pads all day you’d have a limp too. It hurts like hell unless you’re wearing protection, which there’s a good chance he wasn’t cuz he just wants to kick him to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

.ak wrote: »
    If you were kicking pads all day you’d have a limp too. It hurts like hell unless you’re wearing protection, which there’s a good chance he wasn’t cuz he just wants to kick him to death.

I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

That guy working for BT Sport is a fantastic interviewer. Good questions, relaxed and at ease going off script. Nice to hear Cowboy mention it to him mid interview too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

xtal191 wrote: »
    Lads a great interviewer

That was an enjoyable listen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"I never talked to Fury in me life" :pac: that was gas. Jesus, it's good to see him relaxed and not switched on promo mode with rehearsed lines. If he fights as well as he has handled the build up, could be on fire a great year of fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

A few times now hes said he changed his style, sitting down on his punches alot more and learning off Phil his boxing coach. Hope that's not to his detriment, this is an mma fight against one of the best strikers in the game..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

xtal191 wrote: »
    Lads a great interviewer

This was a brilliant interview.

US2 wrote: »
    A few times now hes said he changed his style, sitting down on his punches alot more and learning off Phil his boxing coach. Hope that's not to his detriment, this is an mma fight against one of the best strikers in the game..

this post 100% it's not a boxing match and I feel putting lots of front kicks into the mix will keep him at bay and more importantly move him up into the next round, testing his cardio. you're correct, that could easily be his downfall as I cannot see him out kicking cerrone, the longer he's in there the more tested his strategy will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

People **** on him for not striking in the Khabib match, and he's sharpening his killer skillset.

Anyway, here's a new promo. I thought it was deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No it's not.
    Cowboy is quite good, but he's not one of the best strikers in the game. In that regard, Conor is miles ahead of him.
    If he's sharpened up on his boxing, all the worse for Cowboy, who tends to get hit a lot.
    Conor will hardly have just done boxing and let everything else slip, give him a bit of credit like..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Tazzimus wrote: »
    No it's not.
    Cowboy is quite good, but he's not one of the best strikers in the game. In that regard, Conor is miles ahead of him.
    If he's sharpened up on his boxing, all the worse for Cowboy, who tends to get hit a lot.
    Conor will hardly have just done boxing and let everything else slip, give him a bit of credit like..

Not saying that at all. Just how he keeps repeating that hes sitting down on his punches. Most if not all his knockdowns in UFC he was very light on his feet, Precision punching not power. Boxing fundamentals arent much good in mma. I do fully expect and hope Conor puts on a masterclass like the Alvarez fight.
    Cowboy is one of the best strikers in the game his muy thai especially kicks is elite, give him some credit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Not saying that at all. Just how he keeps repeating that hes sitting down on his punches. Most if not all his knockdowns in UFC he was very light on his feet, Precision punching not power. Boxing fundamentals arent much good in mma. I do fully expect and hope Conor puts on a masterclass like the Alvarez fight.
    Cowboy is one of the best strikers in the game his muy thai especially kicks is elite, give him some credit
    I imagine he knows when to sit down on a punch and when to use his normal style, he's quite good at blending it all together.
    I'm not saying Cowboy is ****e, he's not, but he's not one of the best strikers. He's good, just not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

The pad video I was on about he was using a traditional boxing style, I'd be sad and worried if he has left the karate styling behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭cletus

With regard to the 30% figure for ppv thrown around here, I posted this before, but might be worth posting again. This info came from the monopoly/monopsony trial against the UFC:

Essentially, a 600,000 buy card would net $750,000 in ppv points.

Also, other info released as part of the antitrust lawsuit suggest normally only the Champion is on ppv points, not just main carders, and almost definitely not co-main, unless it's also a championship fight.

Note, the UFC do not stick rigidly to the outline below, but in general it's how it works

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/8/8...esnar-mma-news

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Looking forward to the presser. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Confirmation from UFC that Usman and Masvidal will take part in media day tomorrow. Hopefully Conor isn't about otherwise his zen like relaxed state could be severely tested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pighead wrote: »
    Confirmation from UFC that Usman and Masvidal will take part in media day tomorrow. Hopefully Conor isn't about otherwise his zen like relaxed state could be severely tested!

3 pieces and a soda for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd be surprised if he's getting a cut of European PPVs. That's BT's money, they run and operate they PPV.
    I posted the same opinion before, only a few days ago.
    But it would also be very easy for the UFC to include a clause regarding a cut of PPV events
    He got 80,000,000 for fighting Mayweather.

How is he going to get 80,000,000 for headlining a glorified Fight Night card?
    The quality of the card is immaterial. What matters is the PPV sales.

And consider that the Mayweather fight had to pay Mayweather $200m. This card does not have that kind of handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Those shirts are blinding!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7TyNbpprSg/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If you think that's extreme, check out Fogarty's one towards the end of the latest embedded. He even gets name checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

What time is the press conference on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

What time is the press conference on?
    Live in 67 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Link to the presser?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Link to the presser?

9 posts up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

spix wrote: »