Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

.ak wrote: »
    Would you not understate your earnings incase the taxman comes knocking looking for the wedge of your 80 mil that isn’t there?

I don't think an interview with ESPN counts as a formal declaration to Revenue.

That sponsorship number seems extremely far-fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭505_

Wouldn’t believe the 80 million for a second. Did find that piece of the interview interesting though. Seemed a bit of a change from recent times when he wasn’t as eager to discuss money. He paused and almost seemed to me as if he was carefully considering his answer. It’s not as if he doesn’t know how much he’s making. I’d imagine after Mayweather and khabib fights he doesn’t want it to look as if the money he’s making from fights is declining. Can’t see how this Cerrone fight makes him 30 million more than khabib fight. Sponsors surely more wary of him given his behaviour of late as well. Anyway hoping the fact talking about money didn’t seem top of his agenda as it has previously been could be a sign he really is focused for this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

dashoonage wrote: »
    Watch the change of tune here next week when Cowboy wins. He will suddenly be rated as the elite of the elite and conor was a hero for stepping up to this level of competition at 170

Baffling the amount of fetish-like pleasure some people take in hating McGregor and seemingly anyone who also doesn't hate him.

The vast majority of people here are calling it exactly as it is, and will call it exactly as it is, after the fight whatever the outcome.

No-one's going to claim Cowboy is elite of the elite, no-one has either. No-one thinks Conor is a hero, no-one's said he's stepping up.

It's just McGregor, at a weight class noone really knows how good he is at, fighting someone who's past his prime but still a good fighter. He should win but that's all, should.
    Guys I know **** all about this sport.

What I want to know is it worth putting a bet on this Cowboy ?

I'd say so. McGregor should win, I'd imagine a KO within first two rounds....but you never know. Cowboy is capable, but he's not what he was and can't take as much damage.

I put a lump on Porier against Khabib for similar reason, it was unlikely but not outrageously so. If it goes past round 2 Cowboy has a much better chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

ebbsy wrote: »
    Guys I know **** all about this sport.

I think so, yeah. There are enough factors (size and weight advantage, greater activity, better cardio) combined with the good odds to make it worth a punt. Huge question marks over McGregor and how the madness of the last year will effect his performance.

That said, if McGregor IS in the sort of shape that his camp are claiming, then Cerrone is the perfect match-up stylistically for McGregor to put on a highlight-reel performance.

I'd be leaning towards McGregor putting on a show and outclassing him, but Cerrone weathering an early storm and breaking McGregor later on is by no means out of the question for me.

Really interested to see how this one plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I hope and pray that cowboy knocks 7 shades of sh*t out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first Conor fight which is on PPV in Europe too? May explain why he is estimating the increase?

If he wins this then his star will explode again and will do huge numbers in his next fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

He was 1/4 for the first Diaz fight.

I know that

1/3 is still hardly a slight favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes not getting 30% off the PPV is he? And 21m in sponsorship?

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes not getting 30% off the PPV is he? And 21m in sponsorship?

30% is conservative I'd say. His cards do more numbers than multiple combined events. As he alluded to in his interview, he feels that he should be guaranteed the pay so I'd say as result of no guarantee he gets a large slice of the PPV pie.

Also, I think 69.99 is just for the SD version, is it not 99.99 for the HD versions or is that boxing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also, I think 69.99 is just for the SD version, is it not 99.99 for the HD versions or is that boxing?

That was the boxing fight with Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Either price just makes you realise how much Americans are being shafted for PPV. We give out if it's over €20..

30% is conservative I'd say.

Hes getting 30 cents or more from every PPV dollar?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Either price just makes you realise how much Americans are being shafted for PPV. We give out if it's over €20..

Not to mention most of the UFC events are free here. It's only the big ones that have been PPV here.

Hes getting 30 cents or more from every PPV dollar?

At least I'd say.

I'd also wager that the more PPV buys an event gets, the higher the % cut he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Well he wont be getting a penny of my dollars.

I'll give him one thing, he makes UFC Embedded interesting. I just can't bring myself to watch some of the others have a video of them packing, then in the airport posing with fans, then getting a haircut and a nice hill walk to finish the episode off.

Cowboy limping isn't a good sign. trying to pretend he stood on lego is even more unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ebbsy wrote: »

Yeah, it's worth putting money on him. Though no more than 3 or four grand I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first Conor fight which is on PPV in Europe too? May explain why he is estimating the increase?

If he wins this then his star will explode again and will do huge numbers in his next fights.

I'd be surprised if he's getting a cut of European PPVs. That's BT's money, they run and operate they PPV.

At least I'd say.

I'd also wager that the more PPV buys an event gets, the higher the % cut he gets.

Wheres this info coming from? Genuinely interested, I haven't a clue about UFC payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Part of the reason why he was saying $80m was because he is also getting a cut of the ppv revenue from Europe and Australia now.

He also said he just signed a new deal and every deal he signs he will be increasing his rewards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not sure where this 30% PPV number is being pulled from but its way off the mark.

Typically fighters get PPV points once an event sells over 100,000 buys and at that they are getting $1 on every PPV purchase, obviously the bigger the sales the higher that dollar amount but we are talking going from 1-2-3 dollars here. At the time he was fighting Aldo his contract was said to have had agreed a deal of around $5 per PPV which would be a relatively high PPV cut. Its certainly nowhere near 30% which would be $20 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

https://www.facebook.com/338233632988842/posts/3848746115270892/

Dana refuses to confirm or deny Conor's 80m claim

He got 80,000,000 for fighting Mayweather.

How is he going to get 80,000,000 for headlining a glorified Fight Night card?

Wheres this info coming from? Genuinely interested, I haven't a clue about UFC payments.

You don't want to know. :pac:

Axwell wrote: »
    Not sure where this 30% PPV number is being pulled from but its way off the mark.

Typically fighters get PPV points once an event sells over 100,000 buys and at that they are getting $1 on every PPV purchase, obviously the bigger the sales the higher that dollar amount but we are talking going from 1-2-3 dollars here. At the time he was fighting Aldo his contract was said to have had agreed a deal of around $5 per PPV which would be a relatively high PPV cut. Its certainly nowhere near 30% which would be $20 or more.

Its obviously hard to concrete evidience. Apparently the Khabib fight marked a significant increase in the cut he received. Which makes sense given his global status post Mayweather fight.

Bloody Elbow did a good breakdown on it previously. I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

He got 80,000,000 for fighting Mayweather.

How is he going to get 80,000,000 for headlining a glorified Fight Night card?

I don't think he got that even. The UFC and him got a share of about 80-100mil. Apparantly the UFC took a huge share of that. But!!! Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

Good interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lads a great interviewer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Its obviously hard to concrete evidience. Apparently the Khabib fight marked a significant increase in the cut he received. Which makes sense given his global status post Mayweather fight.

Bloody Elbow did a good breakdown on it previously. I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2018/10/6/17944142/ufc-229-khabib-vs-mcgregor-prize-in-prizefight-biggest-event-financial-mma-statistics

Its probably this one? Just reading it there, most of the figures in relation to McGregor are based only on what he himself said so dont know believable that makes them. They are a lot higher than previous events alright but in the example they posted here they are saying hes getting 30% of all revenue, as oppose to the PPV earnings at $5 a buy which would be the norm.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Lads a great interviewer

And Cerrone is a great bloke. Interesting people calling him saying "You got the Conor fight!".

Like winning the lotto. Interested to see how nasty it gets later, if at all.

Advertisement