Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mellor wrote: »
    Something that actually happened can’t be libel/defamation. Basically libel has to be untrue.
    It was also in a public place so the video isn’t his to make any copyright claims on.
    TMZ probably own it.

if you are an unwilling participant in CCTV used for advertising i'd say that's libelous?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

begbysback wrote: »
    The beard?

No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

if you are an unwilling participant in CCTV used for advertising i'd say that's libelous?

How, it doesn’t match any definition for libel. It needs to be a false statement that damages their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don’t see how there could be any libel there.
    What do you think libel means? Or what do you mean by libelous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

He was having gym wars, then going out on the rip for a few days. Then going again.
    Instead of training properly.

Hard to believe that he would train for such a difficult opponent like that. Incredible to hear him and Kavanagh admit it, he gave himself no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You could say its a 'hippopotomous', doesn't make it true. Libel is being defamed in a recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

joeguevara wrote: »
    You could say its a 'hippopotomous', doesn't make it true. Libel is being defamed in a recording.
    ... once published

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you sure you mean libel?

Because I'm not entirely sure how the recipient of a punch, as per the circumstances in this instance, could have had his reputation damaged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

SteM wrote: »
    Hard to believe that he would train for such a difficult opponent like that. Incredible to hear him and Kavanagh admit it, he gave himself no chance.

If you believe him of course...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads drop the off topic discussion and legal debate....you wont be told again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I see the amateur psychologists, body language experts, human lie detectors and the easily outraged are beginning to make an appearance. It really is fight week now :D

And as it is true that casual fans interest peak around a fight, so is it also true that the 'know it all' better than thou's start whining about it.

I'm gonna give them/him the benefit of the doubt and say it looks like somebody - whether it was JK or someone in his management, his business partners etc - has put the foot down and said that this is a straight camp, no mates hanging around, no acting the bollox, little or no trash talk, no scenes at the weigh-in. None of the stuff he is known to be fond of. A pledge that he'll be back in the gym the monday or tuesday after the fight and get another fight booked soon after.

That doesn't mean I believe his butter-wouldn't-melt interview. Very much a PR excercise. If you turned on him (even just for the stuff we are sure of and can talk about: slapping Goddard, hanging out with drug dealers, smashing the phone, punching the oul lad) you "weren't a real fan". Idiotic.

But I do think there are genuine positive changes in his camp and his approach. I think he will beat Cowboy handily.

I don't think it's all good. I still think Kavanagh is a useless yes-man. If he was responsible for stamping out the nonsense in this camp (and the commitment to get straight into another one afterwards), congrats are due. But it could/should have been done a long time ago, the warnings signs were there. The stuff he came out with about letting Conor dictate the pace is still very unimpressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

J Mysterio wrote: »
    And as it is true that casual fans interest peak around a fight, so is it also true that the 'know it all' better than thou's start whining about it.

I've absolutely no problem with casual fans at all, they are always welcome. Everyone starts off as a casual fan.

It's the casual fans who claim to be the know it all's, who confuse their opinion with actual facts, and the self righteous who only come in to tell us all what a horrible person McGregor is and that only scumbags and 'nuthuggers' still support him are what bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I watched him fight Khabib and enjoyed his arse being handed to him.
    Are you a Khabib fan? If so, then how did you become a Khabib fan? It's not like he is a nice guy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

He was having gym wars, then going out on the rip for a few days. Then going again.
    Instead of training properly.

Yeah my take was that he had flown in a load of Russian/Dagestani camp heads and became far too emotionally invested in kicking the sh/t out of Khabib instead of focussing on a fight. He fell into the trap he was trying to set for Khabib and half of the others he's fought... And went on a massive bender at the same time. Idiot really.

Even taking the interview at face value, and I'd like to think he's turned a corner, I'd absolutely see him slipping back to being mental again at some point, he needs structure and goals, when he's 35 and all done I'm not sure he'll have the self-discipline to avoid his ****ty mates and all the temptations of the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I wouldn't go that far. A bit of Argy bargy at the weigh in is ok once it's kept safe. It's play acting at the end of the day. It builds hype and gets the crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I've absolutely no problem with casual fans at all, they are always welcome. Everyone starts off as a casual fan.

It's the casual fans who claim to be the know it all's, who confuse their opinion with actual facts, and the self righteous who only come in to tell us all what a horrible person McGregor is and that only scumbags and 'nuthuggers' still support him are what bugs me.

Give it a rest ffs. Some people like him, others don't. It impacts you in absolutely no way whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Damn i love cowboy, can't wait for the full interview. Asked if he will try take Conor down..

"I probably should.... But i probably won't....Can i take his left?.... Can he take my kicks?.... That's what i wanna find out"

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1217117718890967040?s=19

Give it a rest ffs. Some people like him, others don't. It impacts you in absolutely no way whatsoever.

Of course it does. Come fight week the thread gets clogged up with the same nonsense over and over. Axwell ends up dishing out multiple warnings and bans, the genuine worthwhile posts get lost and the genuine regular posters take a break from the forum to avoid all the ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

The Nal wrote: »
    McGregor fight starts at 10pm Vegas time so 6am Irish time.

What's the source for this? The card stats at 3am Irish time. There are 4 fights before the main event, all 3 round fights. There's no way 4 fights will take 3 hours. Even if they all go the distance I'd expect the main event at 5.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Of course it does. Come fight week the thread gets clogged up with the same nonsense over and over. Axwell ends up dishing out multiple warnings and bans, the genuine worthwhile posts get lost and the genuine regular posters take a break from the forum to avoid all the ****e.

Whereas your snarky "Here come all the people I have a difference of opinion with" post that started this little back and forth just elevated the discussion to new intellectual heights, didn't it? Especially the bit where you, in your wisdom, decided that people who have a bit of a dislike of him are simply "easily outraged".

McGregor's success and superstardom is down to the fact that, love him or hate him, people take an interest in him. If all that existed were the "genuine worthwhile posts" (your opinion) from "genuine regular posters" (severely misguided snobbery) on discussion boards around the world McGregor's career would barely have been noticed.

He has had one UFC fight in over three years. What's being sold here is the comeback, the redemption angle. As part of that you have to consider the fall from grace. Smacking old men in pubs, to give one example, would be considered part of that angle, hence it's discussed and is perfectly normal. You brush it off as outrage, from "casuals".

Maybe we should all just ape the SBG team and post things like ANIMAL and MONSTER and BEAST ad nauseam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Whereas your snarky "Here come all the people I have a difference of opinion with" post that started this Kittle back and forth just elevated the discussion to new intellectual heights, didn't it? Especially the bit where you, in your wisdom, decided that people who have a bit of a dislike of him are simply "easily outraged".

McGregor's success and superstardom is down to the fact that, love him or hate him, people take an interest in him. If all that existed were the "genuine worthwhile posts" (your opinion) from "genuine regular posters" (severely misguided snobbery) on discussion boards around the world McGregor's career would barely have been noticed.

He has had one UFC fight in over three years. What's being sold here is the comeback, the redemption angle. As part of that you have to consider the fall from grace. Smacking old men in pubs, to give one example, would be considered part of that angle, hence it's discussed and is perfectly normal. You brush it off as outrage, from "casuals".

Maybe we should all just ape the SBG team and post things like ANIMAL and MONSTER and BEAST ad nauseam.

Generally the problem with these threads is the people who come in with no interest in the fight itself or discussing it, and just want to idolise or trash mcgregor. Hoping he'll lose/win or thinking he's sh/te/class is grand, but most people are sick of hearing about his shiny new trackies or his 19 illegitimate love children.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But stuff like the following isn't discussion, it's hyperbole:
    They're the ones moaning about every post that doesn't proclaim McGregor as the second coming of Christ.

There's a middle-ground between the McGregor apologists and critics for interesting discussion. It's a shame that some of the discussion doesn't fall into that category, but instead resorts to insults like your "intellectual heights" comment.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Cowboy was excellent as always in that interview. I really enjoying listening to him. He's someone that you'd love to have as a mate. Loves a few beers, has loads of big boy toys and is just seems like a genuine down to earth person.

Brett Okamoto doesn't come close to being as good as interviewer as Ariel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

I myself am a Conor hater. Cannot stand the man but i wont get into it.

I think as someone above stated. Love him or hate him, he draws you in! As much as i dislike him, he fascinates me and i enjoy watching his fights.

I do think he beats cowboy easily though. Cowboy was always over rated in my opinion and always lacked consistency! He is the perfect comeback fight for McGregor. My only concern from Connors perspective would be that he is a massive favourite to win. All the pressure is on him and should he lose then it will surely damage his ego massively and leave him at a bit of a crossroads with regards to where he goes from there. I wonder wether thats at play at the back of his mind or not let alone have all these recent allegations affected his mindset too? Who knows. He certainly looks calm/confident.

I expect an early stoppage but if he lands clean and Cowboy takes that left hand then we might see possibly see nerves set in for McGregor.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Surprised some of these posters remembered their password since the khabib fight

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

The new embedded is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Cowboy with a serious limp in the latest Embedded..

• Advertisement

Cowboy was excellent as always in that interview. I really enjoying listening to him. He's someone that you'd love to have as a mate. Loves a few beers, has loads of big boy toys and is just seems like a genuine down to earth person.

Brett Okamoto doesn't come close to being as good as interviewer as Ariel though.

I'm a big fan of Brett but that wasn't one of his best interviews. Saying that it's still a great watch/listen. Loved his response to being a slow starter and also the pre fight jitters. Both top interviews from cowboy and Conor.

Advertisement