Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Its a long time since he was that normal in a interview , he was hard to listein to before his last mma bout and that bloody boxing match , so its a huge change in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

sc86 wrote: »
    Its a long time since he was that normal in a interview , he was hard to listein to before his last mma bout and that bloody boxing match , so its a huge change in that respect

Sounded exactly the same to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is this really a 'fan favourite' fight. I'm not really all that interested in it. Would have rather seen justin or poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Duff wrote: »
    He seems to be doing a lot of praying these days. Spiritual Conor would definitely beat full camp Mendes. Good interview, genuinely seems to be in a lot better headspace anyway. Mad that he was drinking and god knows what else the week of the Khabib fight! Flying over to Vegas Friday morning. Can't wait.

I thought that myself. He mentioned praying for people about 4 times in the Ariel interview and then in embedded he had a 'please god' and at the end of the roll with Lee Hammond he was on his knees with hands clasped looking up to the sky. I sincerely hope he hasn't. That would turn me off him quicker than the drink and drugs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Well just watched that absolute **** show of an interview with Ariel. Are we meant to buy this? He has definitely had some sort of PR training recently. He's been off the "Liquid" for 4 months? This is the first time I've heard someone say they are off the Pints and referred to it as Liquid. "I'll say a prayer for them" even more bizarre, this is aimed at the American Market that he's Mr Wholesome. I'd rather he just stick to being a scumbag. Any way, my prediction is still First round KO for CMG. I hope Cerrone attacks the leg, I've heard his knee is still fuked. He's being going to the States and santry over the last 2 years having it looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 keith06

Really sorry for bringing this issue back up but I got a vpn and still can't get the bt sport box app but realised google play store blocked vpns. Anyway through the actual bt sport box office website I'm through to the payment page, should I continue or am I setting myself up for a fall here. Anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Completely agree, everything he has said and done over the last few months is scripted PR nonsense. Complementing aldo, edgar and cerrone, stories about donations of toys to charity making their way into the press, now he's suddenly a devout christian. I dont know, but its almost like they are trying to get people to forget about past behaviour and indiscretions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He's praying to Jesus for those knockouts he loves to see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I have setup an event thread which will be opened at the weekend, until discussion can remain here.

A reminder absolutely NO discussion on IPTV or illegal streams.

For those of you dropping in and not regular here, I strongly recommend viewing the first post in the thread and also making yourself familiar with the charter as any nonsense will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Used to love Conor, loved watching him fight, loved the building but on Saturday night i will be firmly rooting for Cowboy, and i hope he fcuks him up bad.

That Ariel interview, all i wanted to do was kick him in his midget head...didn't believe a word of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What stands out to me is that he isn't really sorry for his bad behaviour other than how it lost him his focus and caused a PR storm. He's not genuinely sorry about how he hurt other people. As he phrased it: 'i need to not react to the disrespect'. When the 'punching the old man' was brought up, he framed it in that way also - not reacting to disrespect. That's shifting the blame.

The guy didnt want to engage with Conor and his billy big balls bollocks - that is disrespect for Conor 'I'm the centre of the universe' McGregor. If Conor wants you to jump and you don't: disrespect. He's just going to try not punch you for it now as he knows the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What stands out to me is that he isn't really sorry for his bad behaviour other than how it lost him his focus and caused a PR storm. He's not genuinely sorry about how he hurt other people. As he phrased it: 'i need to not react to the disrespect'. When the 'punching the old man' was brought up, he framed it in that way also - not reacting to disrespect. That's shifting the blame.

The guy didnt want to engage with Conor and his billy big balls bollocks - that is disrespect for Conor 'I'm the centre of the universe' McGregor. If Conor wants you to jump and you don't: disrespect. He's just going to try not punch you for it now as he knows the fallout.

Good point. Hadn't really thought from that perspective. But does bleed into the other questions.

The other serious allegations i think he's limited in what can be said. And not sure how else he can answer with legal ramifications.

The floyd stuff was clear delusion as well (JK said something about Floyd changing his style as well which was like mate...he was fighting a novice. any style Floyd wanted would have worked for him). but i did think there were positives.

The 'disappear for 3 days' was pretty much spelling out what everyone thought he was doing when on his benders and fair play to him to fessing up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think it's getting called a fan favourite fight because McGregor is obviously a superstar and Cowboy has a significant following in his own right. They're just two very popular fighters who happen to be in and around the same weight class, have exchanged words before too.

I agree with the consensus. McGregor's power and pressure a should get Cowboy out of there relatively early. Cowboy really struggles eating big shots these days, which is no surprise given how often he fights, accumulative damage and his age. McGregor had no problems landing shots with Diaz's height and even though Cowboy is taller still, I can't see it causing many issues.

If it goes beyond 7/8 minutes it'll be interesting as we've seen Cowboy have Lazarus like powers before (Lawler fight springs to mind) and if McGregor gases the way he did against Diaz, Cowboy might have a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

if it was me in the video getting boxed i'd sue again ...has to be libelous
    Something that actually happened can’t be libel/defamation. Basically libel has to be untrue.
    It was also in a public place so the video isn’t his to make any copyright claims on.
    TMZ probably own it.

I see the amateur psychologists, body language experts, human lie detectors and the easily outraged are beginning to make an appearance. It really is fight week now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I see the amateur psychologists, body language experts, human lie detectors and the easily outraged are beginning to make an appearance. It really is fight week now :D

Closely followed by the McGregor nuthuggers. Yeah its fight week alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Don't forget the "haters", who post here more than fans :pac:

EoineyM wrote: »
    Closely followed by the McGregor nuthuggers. Yeah its fight week alright.

Point out one of those posts to me?

Point out one of those posts to me?

They're the ones moaning about every post that doesn't proclaim McGregor as the second coming of Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

McGregor fight starts at 10pm Vegas time so 6am Irish time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Nal wrote: »

Alarm will be set for 5 just incase. I'll catch the rest of the card Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They're the ones moaning about every post that doesn't proclaim McGregor as the second coming of Christ.

Unless Christ went on a long camp and put on some size, he'd be fighting at 135 at best so no comparison between the two, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

avoiding all the obvious BS from those who worship and those who detest the chap, personally im hoping for a decent fight. It would be great to see him back to his best in the octagon. The rest of the stuff i've no interest in (But it would be an interesting case study for a PR/Media student) and if he is at the level JK is claiming he is at it will be something to look forward to, when hes fighting.
    Really like cowboy as well, just a pity the fight didnt happen a few years back.

The Nal wrote: »

Ffs, I've been waiting for the event thread for days so I could get in the first with "anyone know that time McGregor fight will be on" and you've just gone and ruined it. RUINED IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Unless Christ went on a long camp and put on some size, he'd be fighting at 135 at best so no comparison between the two, to be fair.

The beard?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, for anyone who watched the whole interview............

Around 25/26 mins he starts saying something like "I'd have people from that part of the world holed up in a hotel. We'd call some of them down to the gym and have a fight with no headgear".

What is he saying here? He'd just have sparring partners ready for him? What did this have to do with his drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lads, for anyone who watched the whole interview............

Around 25/26 mins he starts saying something like "I'd have people from that part of the world holed up in a hotel. We'd call some of them down to the gym and have a fight with no headgear".

What is he saying here? He'd just have sparring partners ready for him? What did this have to do with his drinking?
    He was having gym wars, then going out on the rip for a few days. Then going again.
    Instead of training properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Ffs, I've been waiting for the event thread for days so I could get in the first with "anyone know that time McGregor fight will be on" and you've just gone and ruined it. RUINED IT.

Is it not usually 5am or has it been pushed an hour?

Jesus. You are doing some reaching there!
    So gone are the days when 'nuthuggers' used to be people who post blind allegiance to McGregor and think he can do no wrong.

Care to show me some of those posts too? I'm genuinely curious as to what is perceived as a 'nuthugger' these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Have I fallen really out of the loop or is the rest of the card pretty awful? I was tempted to stay up for it but I think now I'll just skip to the main the next morning

Advertisement