Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The Nal wrote: »
    3 years to the day since his last win.

That's a stat that surprised me. Time flies when you're having fun.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

joeguevara wrote: »
    Honestly I think it is a case of the UFC waiting until he is really ready for his next fight. If he loses a comeback because he is ilprepared, then that could be it.

They need him to come back, be on top form in pressers, blitz media and put in a performance that will prove he is back. Posts saying that UFC have list interest are wide of the Mark imo. When the UFC was sold, part of the business plan was the revenue Conor would generate. I believe they are protecting that revenue by choosing a return rather than rushing it. Could be wrong but makes more sense.

Agree totally. I would imagine the ufc want his next 2 fights to be victories and then a big 3rd riskier fight. Never understood posters stating in here that Mcgregor is not relevant anymore and the ufc has moved on yet its the same posters that keep posting in here and bringing him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Happy champ champ day. Fight announcement coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Someones obviously back training for a fight so

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1194637680124080129

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

If he's fighting the Ghost of Cowboy Cerrone, it's a gimmie fight to get him back to winning ways. Cowboy is as good as finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If he's fighting the Ghost of Cowboy Cerrone, it's a gimmie fight to get him back to winning ways. Cowboy is as good as finished.

Hope not. Fighting someone whos lost 6 of his last 10 fights is hardly a challenge. Although its a nice retirement payday for Cerrone who deserves it just for being such a good company guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I think he actually could be fighting Gathje, I hope so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

He’s training hard anyway, and he’s not doing that for nothing.
    Fight announcement coming very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It went out on the members page too, it's bananas up there trying to get in and out.
    xtal191 wrote: »
    Def looks set up

Doubt it, I train there and live locally, the local petrol station reckon they have 50 people a week looking for directions to the gym, mostly Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Def looks set up
    Happened all the time at Concorde as well, random people would just show up hoping to see him or get a pic.
    Bit of a pain in the hole for other people training

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd say that's more of a commentary on the story that's hit the news of the American family meeting Conor there. They don't want it to turn into a tourist trap....and of course subtly suggesting that there is training of some sort going on.

Def looks set up

Mightn't be a complete set up, the Americans may really have called but the whole reaction by him is a set up. If he had it his way he'd have one of the 2 fat lads who walks around with him and think they can assault people to protect him. Considering he is sick to death of the attention, all of a sudden when his camera team are aorund he' pulling bottles of Proper 12 from the boot like Paul Daniels. He is on PR control at the moment. His investors must be terrified of another **** storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Mightn't be a complete set up, the Americans may really have called but the whole reaction by him is a set up. If he had it his way he'd have one of the 2 fat lads who walks around with him and think they can assault people to protect him. Considering he is sick to death of the attention, all of a sudden when his camera team are aorund he' pulling bottles of Proper 12 from the boot like Paul Daniels. He is on PR control at the moment. His investors must be terrified of another **** storm.

Maybe he just brings bottles of proper 12 with him for before/during/after training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Doff wrote: »
    Maybe he just brings bottles of proper 12 with him for before/during/after training.

Always has the lighting just right too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's got to the stage now where if I see a report that he's back training my first thought is to google famous Irish sports star. The story above with the Yanks is really something I could imagine being genuine a few years back though, I miss that Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Even when he does something decent it's staged. He can do no right for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    ....and of course subtly suggesting that there is training of some sort going on.

He's definitely training.
    Been posting lots of cardio, boxing, wrestling on his IG lately. Between the Proper 12 shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

BDI wrote: »
    Always has the lighting just right too.

If he's training for a fight he'll have his media crew with him.
    He's paying them anyway, so why wouldn't he use them to video him being nice to fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

im just glad hes back training for a fight to be honest. theres nothing like the buzz of a mcgregor fight week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dunno he's always been pretty good with fans, I've met him couple times he was decent, took alot of pictures and chatted with fans. Obviously there was the phone stomp thing but too many people stick there phones in peoples faces and think its cool. Ya know asking for a photo of a famous person can go along way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rob316 wrote: »
    Dunno he's always been pretty good with fans, I've met him couple times he was decent, took alot of pictures and chatted with fans. Obviously there was the phone stomp thing but too many people stick there phones in peoples faces and think its cool. Ya know asking for a photo of a famous person can go along way.

Pro tip, don't ever ask Larry Mullen for a pic, unless you've a free half hour, I couldn't get away from him.

But to be fair, no matter where McGregor goes he's hounded for pics and usually gives a lot of time over to the fans. It has to be a pain in the hole at times

That guy didn't stick his phone in his face. He was about 10 feet away from him.

He seems to go through periods of loving the attention and then hating it.
    Hopefully he's back training. I'd like to see a rematch with Khabib just to see if he could make the adjustments.
    I've no interest in a fight with Diaz after what Diaz looked like against masvidal.
    Cerrone is completely spent now, nothing left in the tank.

That guy didn't stick his phone in his face. He was about 10 feet away from him.

Hopefully he's back training. I'd like to see a rematch with Khabib just to see if he could make the adjustments.
    I've no interest in a fight with Diaz after what Diaz looked like against masvidal.

He definitely doesn’t deserve an immediate rematch with Khabib. If he was to fight 3 times this year I would like to see him beat Gatche in Jan, Poirer in the summer and then he would deserve the Khabib/Ferguson fight in October/November.
    Or you could even substitute in Masvidal instead of Poirier for the BMF belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not defending him but you don't have a right to record him as you don't for any person. If you look at the video he targeted him as he was the one with the light on the phone following him around. Some days you just aren't in the mood for it and I get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you would think he would have brought out a sports drink like lucozade sport not a whiskey, he didnt get where he is today by drinking whiskey. he has probably turned half his young teenage fans towards his whiskey, that will be great for them.

Not defending him but you don't have a right to record him as you don't for any person. If you look at the video he targeted him as he was the one with the light on the phone following him around. Some days you just aren't in the mood for it and I get that.

i agree, but he defnitely created his image around have crowds follow him. Once you let the fans into that space, it's hard to pull back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In a public place you have the right to record anyone you like.

Advertisement