Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

10 fights in 3 years followed by 1 fight in the last 3 years. It could nearly be 4 years by the time they get around to it. Hes finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

D.Q wrote: »
    Dontbelievehislies.jpg

Yeah i definitely hear you on that for sure,but is Dana ready to face a grilling of questions about these allegations every time he speaks to the press in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah i definitely hear you on that for sure,but is Dana ready to face a grilling of questions about these allegations every time he speaks to the press in the build up.
    He'll do what he always does and just fob them off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The allegations won't be brought up by media to Dana, they are not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dana seemed non committal on a fight the other night and you could imagine they don't fancy facing the kinda backlash they are gonna face in this modern pc culture if they do book him with these allegations still hanging.

What i wonder is can Conor force them to give him a fight as per a contract that states he has to get so many fights within an allotted timeframe.

Dana White loves controversy, don't believe a word he says. If there is a delay in getting a deal done its down to money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

rob316 wrote: »
    Dana White loves controversy, don't believe a word he says. If there is a delay in getting a deal done its down to money.

You could be right,could be just using it as leverage against Conor in making the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Dana seemed non committal on a fight the other night and you could imagine they don't fancy facing the kinda backlash they are gonna face in this modern pc culture if they do book him with these allegations still hanging.

What i wonder is can Conor force them to give him a fight as per a contract that states he has to get so many fights within an allotted timeframe.

Dana White had Trump at UFC 244. He brought Colby Covington to the White House. He has Greg Hardy fighting in the UFC. Dana White loves money and can see through even the worst of transgressions for the sake of a dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The allegations won't be brought up by media to Dana, they are not stupid.

They did this weekend. Dana didn't defend or deny them as false. Just said its not good to hear these allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

99% of mma media wouldn't have the balls to bring it up to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Jones almost killed a pregnant woman and ran away, Greg hardy brutally flogged his missus. Dana don't care lads any publicity is good.

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Dana White had Trump at UFC 244. He brought Colby Covington to the White House. He has Greg Hardy fighting in the UFC. Dana White loves money and can see through even the worst of transgressions for the sake of a dollar.
    Greg Hardy's issues are behind him. A legal resolution and closure, 5 years ago.

I can guarantee that if Greg Hardy did that stuff now rather than 5 years ago, he would be out the door. Or in the very least suspended indefinitely. Not a hope they would book him while he was waiting charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Greg Hardy's issues are behind him. A legal resolution and closure, 5 years ago.

I can guarantee that if Greg Hardy did that stuff now rather than 5 years ago, he would be out the door. Or in the very least suspended indefinitely. Not a hope they would book him while he was waiting charges.
    He booked B.J Penn a couple of months after a judge granted a restraining order against him being near his wife or kids following years of physical abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

eagle eye wrote: »
    Didn't Cowboy pretty much state he is fighting Conor? Obviously didn't say the words because he can't but his picture tells all.

His picture of a Bud and a bottle of Proper 12?
    Didn't be post a similar picture at the end of last year as well? Nothing ever came of that and he ended up fighting Khabib.

Everyone wants to be beaten by Conor because it's worth so much to them.

It really depends on who you are if dana decides to punish you or not. Think someone was cut for using a gay slur and thiago silva was cut years ago for domestic abuse.. Not sure if he was resigned or not.

He had some great fights

Pighead wrote: »
    He booked B.J Penn a couple of months after a judge granted a restraining order against him being near his wife or kids following years of physical abuse.
    Incomparable for a number of reasons:

The allegations were already public record - so UFC were able to gauge the level of public awareness and outcry. There was none of this 'Hawaiin sports star' stuff.

There were no charges pending.

BJ is not a star any more, nobody mainstream talks about him, he doesn't make headlines. It was just a typical card. The card wasn't built around him. He was on the prelims, he could have been pulled no problem if there was a backlash.

From a business and PR perspective the risk to the UFC was not even remotely comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Incomparable for a number of reasons:

The allegations were already public record - so UFC were able to gauge the level of public awareness and outcry. There was none of this 'Hawaiin sports star' stuff.

There were no charges pending.

BJ is not a star any more, nobody mainstream talks about him, he doesn't make headlines. It was just a typical card. The card wasn't built around him. He was on the prelims, he could have been pulled no problem if there was a backlash.

From a business and PR perspective the risk to the UFC was not even remotely comparable.
    You mentioned Greg Hardy! He's not exactly mainstream either!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ban for the next person who mentions allegations, assault charges or anything else related. I am sick of telling you all time and time again and again..MMA talk only..NO mention of anything in any related to McGregor and allegations. If you arent going to listen then its instant bans from now on..you have been told enough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

Also Conor
    I know there's a lot of people celebrating this in the featherweight division, there are many people celebrating another man's victory, it's something that I cannot understand, how somebody not involved can celebrate another man's victory.

I just think he [Aldo] had an opportunity to show up here and he didn't, he could be sitting where Nate's sitting right now.

He was the first choice, he said anytime, any place, anywhere and then it wasn't anytime, any place, anywhere.

Now another man gets a victory over me and he celebrates it. That's the sign of a loser...that's the sign of a runner-up, that's not the sign of a champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He's just trying to goad him in the hopes of getting a rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Axwell wrote: »
    Ban for the next person who mentions allegations, assault charges or anything else related. I am sick of telling you all time and time again and again..MMA talk only..NO mention of anything in any related to McGregor and allegations. If you arent going to listen then its instant bans from now on..you have been told enough times.
    Mr McGregor is an excellent athlete.

Quite my hero in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Still no fight announcement yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Still no fight announcement yet

Nope, I did see a post on Instagram of someone with JK at the W2W finale on Saturday, a comment under asked if he asked JK who Conor would fight next and the person responded with Cowboy...

Massive pinch of salt obviously

Jan 18 is about 9 weeks away.. It was always said here fight announcement for conor would 3-4 months out for promotion reasons. I think ufc is done with him. All eggs are in masdival and isreal. The show goes on I remember years what ufc do when chuck retires and lots of other big names. Looks like fury will make mma debut soon enough

I wonder why they lost interest in conor?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

dave1982 wrote: »
    Jan 18 is about 9 weeks away.. It was always said here fight announcement for conor would 3-4 months out for promotion reasons. I think ufc is done with him. All eggs are in masdival and isreal. The show goes on I remember years what ufc do when chuck retires and lots of other big names. Looks like fury will make mma debut soon enough

I doubt Fury would ever get in the octogon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

dave1982 wrote: »

What are you basing this on? He's still their biggest star, by absolute miles. Put Masvidal and Izzy on the same card and it wouldn't come close to a McGregor PPV.

My bet is he fights in first quarter of 2020. Seems to be back training and if recent past evidence is anything to go by, he only trains when preparing for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I doubt they have lost interest in him, its always down to money. McGregor saying give me purse to charity is crap, he'll always want significantly more than anyone else is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

He probably doesn't want to tarnish what he has left of his legacy. Whatever about the Khabib fight, hes mostly remembered for being the phenomenal fighter who was amazing in the build up to fights, but then always delivered come fight night.

Either that or he just wants too much money behind the scenes in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Honestly I think it is a case of the UFC waiting until he is really ready for his next fight. If he loses a comeback because he is ilprepared, then that could be it.

They need him to come back, be on top form in pressers, blitz media and put in a performance that will prove he is back. Posts saying that UFC have list interest are wide of the Mark imo. When the UFC was sold, part of the business plan was the revenue Conor would generate. I believe they are protecting that revenue by choosing a return rather than rushing it. Could be wrong but makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

3 years to the day since his last win.

Advertisement