Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Still Ill wrote: »
    He's just pathetic at this stage.. Talking **** on Twitter without any sign of a fight. Honestly cannot see him winning any decent match up. He'd beat Cowboy and that's about it.

Never sleep on Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

K.Flyer wrote: »
    No he didn't, at least not in relation to Conor, he said at the end, "..nothing is going on right now, and when there is I'll let you guys know"

“In the next week and a half I’ll start working on what happens next year”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Please sign to fight Masvidal, he will be murdered. Jorge is a nasty piece of work.

If he's actually serious about getting back in there, the only fight is Gaethje right now. He's next in line for a title shot after TF, Cowboy is a lame duck fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

rob316 wrote: »
    Please sign to fight Masvidal, he will be murdered. Jorge is a nasty piece of work.

If he's actually serious about getting back in there, the only fight is Gaethje right now. He's next in line for a title shot after TF, Cowboy is a lame duck fight.

Lame duck fight is the right choice, he's not match fit at all. Masvidal shouldn't even be in the conversation, he'd kill him. Gaethje probably the same tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Fighting cowboy with him coming off 2 stoppage losses would be ridiculously stupid. I have a feeling the talk about that and any other fight is negotiating tactics. It wouldn't sell as well as masvidal, khabib, diaz and its just as dangerous as any of his other fights. A loss against cowboy would also be devastating to how much money he would make in his fights afterwards. At least if he loses to masvidal, he was expected to lose and lost to the 'bmf'. Loses to khabib, oh well, already lost to him. If he actually fights cowboy its got to be fixed as its such a stupid risk I can't see why they would even consider it otherwise.

I know masvidal destroyed diaz but after seeing that fight I'd actually give mcgregor more of a chance against masvidal than I would've expected. He blitzes forward frequently with his chin forward. Diaz only landed a few punches but the ones he did got a reaction out of masvidal even though they didn't seem to land with much on them. I know hes tough but haven't seen him get hit much recently, it does make me wonder how he'd take mcgregors best shot if he managed to land something good as masvidal rushes him. He did seem to want to stall quite a bit in 3rd round as well. To have a chance though he'd have to forget about trying to win rounds and just put everything into the 1st round whilst his confidence is high and hope he lands something good. He's never going to be able to last with a tough opponent in the later rounds unless they have noodle arms like diaz.

I don't think conor or his team would be willing to do it though, they seem more interested in looking for what they think are the least dangerous fights possible which is understandable but lame for the fans. Nobody wants to see cherry picks against smaller opponents or people coming off several losses. A fight against masvidal would break records and definitely make him more money along with getting respect for taking what people consider the most dangerous fight. Fans will want to see conor fight someone whos not going to take him down, and likewise the haters will be hoping to see him get knocked out. High risk but high reward. Trying to cherry pick fights in mma is never a good idea, theres a good chance you will still lose and lose more than you has planned. Just take the biggest fight possible and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Masvidal is definitely at least 1 fight too early for Conor.
    His 3 fight plan that he spoke of is jan 18th vs cowboy probably tho wud prefer to see him fight Gatche or Poirer.
    Then April/May/June his plan was to fight Diaz for the BMF title. Obviously that’s changed now, but I guess he could still fight Nate with no title on the line, or Jorge for the BMF.
    Then October/November he gets his chance at the LW title again vs Khabib or Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As diminished as he is, he would beat Cowboy. Cowboy doesn't beat anyone of note, he's the popular fighter you fight as tune up for a better opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

rob316 wrote: »
    As diminished as he is, he would beat Cowboy. Cowboy doesn't beat anyone of note, he's the popular fighter you fight as tune up for a better opponent.

Cowboy obliterated Al, beat multiple people at 170, gone full 5 rounds twice recently. He is very dangerous when hes in good form, especially with his head kick + submissions. His inconsistency makes him more dangerous as well. You think hes washed up and easy pickings then he shows up and looks unbeatable. Its a stupid fight to take and would wreck his reputation forever if he was to get knocked out with a head kick by someone on a losing streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

His 3 fight plan that he spoke of is jan 18th vs cowboy probably tho wud prefer to see him fight Gatche or Poirer.
    Then April/May/June his plan was to fight Diaz for the BMF title. Obviously that’s changed now, but I guess he could still fight Nate with no title on the line, or Jorge for the BMF.
    Then October/November he gets his chance at the LW title again vs Khabib or Ferguson.

:pac: There's 0% chance McGregor fights 3 times in a year, probably around 50/50 he fights once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

This seems like the obvious route, Conor wants a few tune ups (which is good as he gets in line) thats why the likes of Cowboy and frankie who used to slag him are now licking his arse cause they see themselves as a tune up but can get decent $$ out of it.

But regardless he can't do right, he goes for khabib he is told to get in line, so tries to take a "gimme" for ring rust he gets slated for it.

Nate was out for 3 years. comes back fights pettis and everyone creams themselves,

conor faces khabib and gets slated, but if he took cowboy or Al etc people would say too easy etc..

so decides to take a back step from going straight for the title (to potentially face cowboy) and still gets slated? what is the difference in cowboy to pettis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Just watching Masvidal being interviewed by Ariel and Chael and at 5.15 he references Conor as "McTapper", Ariel goes on to ask him would he fight Conor..

how can you win the BMF and then be cringy calling someone "mctapper". Jorge let me down there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

If he beat Cowboy and then Diaz he still wouldn't deserve a title shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

fitzparker wrote: »
    how can you win the BMF and then be cringy calling someone "mctapper". Jorge let me down there

Didn't watch it myself but its a bit pathetic considering he has a couple taps on his resume too.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Didn't watch it myself but its a bit pathetic considering he has a couple taps on his resume too.

He's lost 14 fights. If he was to fight McGregor, he'd be a favourite but not as nailed-on as people are making out. I think the Khabib rematch would be a much tougher fight for McGregor compared to Jorge.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    He's lost 14 fights. If he was to fight McGregor, he'd be a favourite but not as nailed-on as people are making out. I think the Khabib rematch would be a much tougher fight for McGregor compared to Jorge.

At 55 if Conor was in peak shape would be a good fight,at 170 i wouldn't fancy his chances at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I think the Khabib rematch would be a much tougher fight for McGregor compared to Jorge.

Surely nobody would think otherwise :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

At 55 if Conor was in peak shape would be a good fight,at 170 i wouldn't fancy his chances at all.

Masvidal looks a bit of an animal with many weapons both on the feet and ground, much like Tony Ferguson ......McGregor would have to be very peak to beat either of these 2 which is a big ask after such a layoff.......still thinks he beats Diaz again, durable as hell but easily hit and nowhere near as many weapons as the other 2 ......the only way he loses that fight is through his own gas tank like the first fight

Hard to see Attar being right about a fight announcement being imminent going on Danas attitude the other night,he seemed to distance himself from a Conor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Conor is back training so by past indication it means a fight announcement is imminent.

Personally I would like to see him back training regularly for at least 6 months before taking a fight, then gearing up in to a fight camp.

These massive layoffs and then short camps to fight the world elite is baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Conor is back training so by past indication it means a fight announcement is imminent.

Personally I would like to see him back training regularly for at least 6 months before taking a fight, then gearing up in to a fight camp.

These massive layoffs and then short camps to fight the world elite is baffling.

It's kind of insulting really to the other top contenders. Khabib has no fight due, and there was a video of him swimming against the current in a river doing the rounds last month.
    Conor thinks he can put the whiskey and, ehm, other stuff, down for three months and he can hang with guys like that.

He certainly wants to fight, that's why he's training and "announcing" dates. I'm sure his team and business partners want him to have a fight booked also, to occupy his time and generate good headlines.

But UFC won't book him. Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

If they'd no intention of ever booking an event for him they'd surely release him from his contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

He’s expecting his ego to have the same carry over effect as 6 months training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

McGregor training in bbj,
    https://youtu.be/pjeFba9aaFQ

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Didn't Cowboy pretty much state he is fighting Conor? Obviously didn't say the words because he can't but his picture tells all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

VW 1 wrote: »
    If they'd no intention of ever booking an event for him they'd surely release him from his contract?

That would mean he could sign with a different company, they don't want that. He won't be released from contract unless he fights however many times is on it and doesn't sign a new one.
    McGregor training in bbj,
    https://youtu.be/pjeFba9aaFQ

He does train BJJ a fair bit, it's not all striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He certainly wants to fight, that's why he's training and "announcing" dates. I'm sure his team and business partners want him to have a fight booked also, to occupy his time and generate good headlines.

But UFC won't book him. Not a hope.
    Of course they'll book him! He will generate millions of dollars for them. Why on earth wouldn't they book him?

Pighead wrote: »
    Of course they'll book him! He will generate millions of dollars for them. Why on earth wouldn't they book him?

Dana seemed non committal on a fight the other night and you could imagine they don't fancy facing the kinda backlash they are gonna face in this modern pc culture if they do book him with these allegations still hanging.

What i wonder is can Conor force them to give him a fight as per a contract that states he has to get so many fights within an allotted timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Dana seemed non committal on a fight the other night and you could imagine they don't fancy facing the kinda backlash they are gonna face in this modern pc culture if they do book him with these allegations still hanging.

What i wonder is can Conor force them to give him a fight as per a contract that states he has to get so many fights within an allotted timeframe.

Dontbelievehislies.jpg

Advertisement