Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

bmcc10 wrote: »

Looks Photoshopped or altered in some way.

He's more active on Social Media at the moment, He knows newspapers will write anything on his posts, and it replaces the negative stuff that has been in the papers recently. His advisors have gone into panic mode to try protect the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Unfortunately he has become irrelevant in mma terms

Most people soured on him by his carry on in and out of the cage

Barely a whimper about his comeback

He’s more of a Jack the Ripper style character now than the Notorious Baddest Man in MMA character he was for so long

Will remember fondly mcgregor from 2014 to 2016, what a journey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

He’s more of a Jack the Ripper style character now than the Notorious Baddest Man in MMA character he was for so long

What nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If he does indeed have a comeback fight it will be absolutely massive. Baffling comment above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not on this 'mma' forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

We'll be sure to remind you of this when his comeback fight does massive numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I feel like the January fight may be announced this weekend in MSG, possibly during the main card. Would be the best platform for them to announce it?

What ya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor liked the following, god I hope they surprise us with this match-up instead of a poxy Cowboy fight

https://twitter.com/Justin_Gaethje/status/1189307124456837125

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Not true. Maybe if you strictly follow MMA journalism in Ireland, but his name is still everywhere, on a weekly basis. I listen to alot of American based podcasts - his name is mentioned on every pod, on every week of the year.

People don't understand how big he still is in America. He's hated in Ireland - arguably rightly - but Ireland's a small place. I bet everyone in this thread knows someone who knows him. It's not the same in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

dulux99 wrote: »
    Not true. Maybe if you strictly follow MMA journalism in Ireland, but his name is still everywhere, on a weekly basis. I listen to alot of American based podcasts - his name is mentioned on every pod, on every week of the year.

People don't understand how big he still is in America. He's hated in Ireland - arguably rightly - but Ireland's a small place. I bet everyone in this thread knows someone who knows him. It's not the same in America.

Yeah. I live in Canada and am about an hour from the us border. He's still a big deal on these shores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Yeah. I live in Canada and am about an hour from the us border. He's still a big deal on these shores.

He's still a huge deal here too. Most people just dislike now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

xtal191 wrote: »
    McGregor liked the following, god I hope they surprise us with this match-up instead of a poxy Cowboy fight

https://twitter.com/Justin_Gaethje/status/1189307124456837125

Am I missing something obvious here? Who the fúck is blue lips?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Am I missing something obvious here? Who the fúck is blue lips?

Khabib is blue lips is he? I think Conor said he had blue lips in the run up to their fight because he's biting down on the so hard out of fear or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭robwen

Isn't he managed by Ali what's his name aswell he'd hardly be insulting Khabib then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

robwen wrote: »
    Isn't he managed by Ali what's his name aswell he'd hardly be insulting Khabib then

Especially as it's more than likely written by Ali too!

It's probably something to do with McGregor being choked by Khabib, so an insult to McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Khabib is blue lips is he? I think Conor said he had blue lips in the run up to their fight because he's biting down on the so hard out of fear or something like that.

No.

Conor is blue lips.

Because he tapped twice in 4 MMA fights to chokes.

Blue lips because he's being starved of oxygen.

Justin is insinuating Conor doesn't deserve a shot without fighting him First...

And tbh, he's not wrong.

Conor calling Khabib "blue lips" is just a massive lack of self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Because he tapped twice in 4 MMA fights to chokes.

Technically he only tapped once in four MMA fights to a choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Effects wrote: »
    Technically he only tapped once in four MMA fights to a choke.

ah here , and the other was a crank ok so

akelly02 wrote: »
    ah here , and the other was a crank ok so
    He is right, technically.
    Khabibs was a fulcrum choke, but it was a crank across the jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Tazzimus wrote: »

ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm technically wrong so.

But technically, aren't a lot of chokes actually strangles anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

McGregor is blue lips. I think Gaethje is a fan of this lad https://www.instagram.com/mojahedfudailat/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Joe Duffy and Nate Diaz both won by choke.
    Effects wrote: »
    But technically, aren't a lot of chokes actually strangles anyway. :D
    All chokes are more accurately called strangles. But the misnomer is so common that it’s essentially the same thing at this point.

Mellor wrote: »
    Joe Duffy and Nate Diaz both won by choke.

All chokes are more accurately called strangles. But the misnomer is so common that it’s essentially the same thing at this point.
    I thought he was referring to his last 4 fights, not overall fights, in which case it's correct.

I thought he was referring to his last 4 fights, not overall fights, in which case it's correct.

Maybe. I thought he was referring to his 4 losses to submissions. Inconsequential either way. The results aren’t exactly news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can someone explain something - he pleaded guilty today over the pub incident and got a €1,000 fine, does that mean he automatically now has a conviction on his record or can a judge fine somebody without that person being considered "convicted"? In other words, I'm basically wondering what impact this has on the planned January fight, we all know it's extremely difficult to get into the US with even the tiniest blemish on one's criminal record - if this does create a problem for him and entry to the US, where else might they have him fight? Surely they'd have to drop him from the January card and work on the logistics of where to stage the next card involving him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Can someone explain something - he pleaded guilty today over the pub incident and got a €1,000 fine, does that mean he automatically now has a conviction on his record or can a judge fine somebody without that person being considered "convicted"? In other words, I'm basically wondering what impact this has on the planned January fight, we all know it's extremely difficult to get into the US with even the tiniest blemish on one's criminal record - if this does create a problem for him and entry to the US, where else might they have him fight? Surely they'd have to drop him from the January card and work on the logistics of where to stage the next card involving him?

He'll have no trouble getting into the US

Simple/Common Assault won't stop you travelling there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He has 18 previous convictions. This is his 19th.

Its not extremely difficult to get into the US when you have money and more importantly make money for other people. Its very easy. Just ask all the rock stars with Class A convictions who tour there every year.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Doubt it will have any impact. The US Immigration services pick and choose what they consider an issue.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain something - he pleaded guilty today over the pub incident and got a €1,000 fine, does that mean he automatically now has a conviction on his record or can a judge fine somebody without that person being considered "convicted"? In other words, I'm basically wondering what impact this has on the planned January fight, we all know it's extremely difficult to get into the US with even the tiniest blemish on one's criminal record -
    A conviction is not necessarily recorded on your record automatically. But it probably is in this case.
    But the whole “can’t get into America with a blemish on your record” is a exaggerated by the guards as a deterrent. It’s only serious offences that exclude you automatically.

There’s plenty of fighters in the ufc with convictions.

Advertisement