Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Front page of one of the redtops was speculating a fight against Keeler. 99.99999999% it's something to do with McGregor Fast or Proper 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Surely ufc won't let him fight outside ufc again. Should never had let him do it first time

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Front page of one of the redtops was speculating a fight against Keeler. 99.99999999% it's something to do with McGregor Fast or Proper 12.

He's been posting images with FAST in the background and as logos on his clothes, also mentioned the FAST world championships recently. It's defo something to do with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

kippy wrote: »
    I am not sure why people are surprised at this......Why fight in the first place? He has been very honest about his aim. It's just sad that it's not just the fighting he has let go, his reputation is in tatters for his behavior - not sure if he cares that much at this point.

I wouldn't begrudge him if he retired. He should atleast be upfront about it. Not trolling about a fight coming up after a big 155lb fight in the UFC to grab headlines and take the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge him if he retired. He should atleast be upfront about it. Not trolling about a fight coming up after a big 155lb fight in the UFC to grab headlines and take the spotlight.
    He's getting exactly the reaction he wants to get; Attention and focus on him.
    Keeps his name and brand fresh in peoples minds while he's inactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He's getting exactly the reaction he wants to get; Attention and focus on him.
    Keeps his name and brand fresh in peoples minds while he's inactive.
    It is gas.

Even the Irish Times had a small article on him today speculating that he could be fighting Gaethje in the Aviva or Croker on December 14th. Hook, line and sinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

JohnMc1 wrote: »

I'd guess whether he wants to fight or not he needs to keep grabbing headlines to sell his whiskey, can't see that selling well when hes out of the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Who???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Gintonious wrote: »
    Who???

Luke keeler. Dublin boxer he had had a bit of back and forth with recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Luke keeler. Dublin boxer he had had a bit of back and forth with recently.

9/10 people have no idea who keeler is and they don’t care.
    No money to be made out of it.

Has anyone mentioned Logan Paul calling him out with MMA rules?
    He’d beat him in boxing anyway. Don’t think anyone wouldn’t want Conor to win that fight.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd guess whether he wants to fight or not he needs to keep grabbing headlines to sell his whiskey, can't see that selling well when hes out of the spotlight.

People will only fall for this attention seeking scam for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I rarely change my views on anything but I think I'd really find it hard to have support McGregor now. The reason I was a fan is because I thought he was a decent bloke underneath all the bravado.

Watching him on the RTE Notorious docu and embedded was as entertaining the fights themselves. I just don't know if I could watch him now in similar shows during the build up to a fight and feel the same way as I think I'd constantly be thinking he's not being genuine and perhaps even that he doesn't deserve to win.

Watched the Aerial interview again and I just don't think he was being honest and the reason is I feel that he hasn't hit rock bottom yet, to the degree where his remorse would be real. I feel if it was, it would come across more.

For sure I don't think his trash talk would work anymore. When it was at it's best it was a little tongue in cheek and there was something of a shared deception going on in that we all knew it was a little WWE and we were okay with that. In hindsight it began to take on more of a meanspirted tone during the run up to the Mayweather bout, then the bus stuff, insults about Khabib's old man and even the Ali 911 thing... all well past WWE esque antics merely merging with MMA trashtalking.

Guess time will tell, hope I'm wrong and he truly is reformed and we see a McGregor of old should he fight again.

Be interested to hear what Wonder has to say if he's knocking about out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I miss wonderfullife. There was a post after the Khabib fight from someone who knew him and he had soured on Conor due to his behaviour so I'd imagine he'd be like yourself these days Outlaw. Also why did you use such small font for that last line? I had to put my glasses on to read it you big making me feel old bollix ya!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Guy Person wrote: »
    I miss wonderfullife. There was a post after the Khabib fight from someone who knew him and he had soured on Conor due to his behaviour so I'd imagine he'd be like yourself these days Outlaw. Also why did you use such small font for that last line? I had to put my glasses on to read it you big making me feel old bollix ya!

giphy.gif

Wondefulllife was a great poster, I chatted to him offline for a bit and he wasn't in a good place, not managed to get hold of him in a while, hope he's on the mend.
    Probably one of the best posters here for sometime, always explained his reasoning without getting into the crap that is associated with most Conor threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wondefulllife was a great poster, I chatted to him offline for a bit and he wasn't in a good place, not managed to get hold of him in a while, hope he's on the mend.
    Probably one of the best posters here for sometime, always explained his reasoning without getting into the crap that is associated with most Conor threads
    I thought he was treated harshly by some posters (I obviously had an account previous to this one) but he mostly rose above it. His research was second to none, he would go real in depth on things at times with long, very well written posts. Though do you remember he was convinced Conor was going to start the Mayweather fight by throwing a kick? He thought Conor would purposefully miss with the kick but it would get into Floyd's head and leave him wide open for a knockout then? I think every single response to that was something along the lines of how wonderfullife had lost the plot but he took it all in jest.
    I hope he's doing ok, it would be great to have him back but I think he did mention the internet as one of the things he felt was contributing to his mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Well at least its an Irish lad he will be fighting as I don't like cheering against my own.
    Is this guy keeler any good ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads with regard to Wonder this isn't the place to be discussing personal matters of another poster. Back on the topic of MMA thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Would like to see that fight, a win over any of Poirier, Gatche or even Holloway at 155 should put him back in discussion for a title fight vs Khabib/Ferguson. Or else he could take on the winner of Masvidal/Diaz.

It's coming up on 3 years since he won a fight. So he posts pictures of old wins. Fairly sad to be honest, amazing how quickly he became a has-been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was watching on of those UFC produced Rise of MCGregor things on BT and the momentum and hunger he had in the FW division was great to watch. A great few years. Impossible to recapture that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What's the craic with 14 Dec?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Mrs.Browns Boys in the 3 Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Nal wrote: »
    Was watching on of those UFC produced Rise of MCGregor things on BT and the momentum and hunger he had in the FW division was great to watch. A great few years. Impossible to recapture that now.

Brimage to Aldo was an amazing from a fans perspective. Especially those of use familiar with the local fighters, crying of a UFC return etc.

RDA was the start of the fall. Enter El Chapo

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Just trolling that he has a fight coming up. Supposedly against that Boxer who trashed him in the media when footage of him sucker punching the guy in the bar came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's coming up on 3 years since he won a fight. So he posts pictures of old wins. Fairly sad to be honest, amazing how quickly he became a has-been.

I watched his latest interview with Helwani yesterday and it was awful to be honest. He is full of self pity now, it's grotesque.

Notable that he isnt making demands anymore but will 'take anything'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I watched his latest interview with Helwani yesterday and it was awful to be honest. He is full of self pity now, it's grotesque.

Notable that he isnt making demands anymore but will 'take anything'.
    Sounds like the worm has turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

14 Dec is when he will unveil his Christmas tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Does anyone have any actual idea what it could be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

McG has made a big deal in the past about wanting to have some part ownership. Since McG is still the biggest name in the UFC if he did announce a big fight it would have a positive impact on share prices. Maybe he is planning on spe ding some of his Mayweather cash on shares, then embark on a 4 month fight hype media tour, sell shares, pull out of fight with injury, buy more shares when price slumps, embark on another 4 month media tour...

He's a sneakkkkyyyy turkey

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/16/20867327/ufc-business-endeavor-ipo-stock-offering-expectations-600-million-mma-news

"Endeavor expecting to raise approximately $600 million from upcoming IPO
    The entertainment company and owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship have set their sights on a price of $30-32 per share for their upcoming stock opening."

Advertisement