Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Great selfie video just posted by Conor on his instagram, driving around the streets of Cali in his granny mobile. Very positive video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

We maybe won't see the OTT personality again, that was unique. Seems to have diminished a little, (excusing the post fight comments, where adrenaline was flowing) the quick wit has been replaced with simple aggression in the build up to the fight. I didn't see the funny, clever, witty side, I just saw shouting.

In terms of sporting greatness, we have and will have other champions.

The meltdown at the end while sitting on the floor in the ring was a sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

after all his talk about jock sniffers and dustin shooting for the legs or clinches

dustin popped him 2 or 3 times and conor clinched

won't ever waste my saturday night / early sunday mornings for him no more

a shell of what he used to be tbh , one trick pony

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We don't need a "star" like him. The waffle coming out of him after the fight was embarrassing. He should be ashamed of himself with what he said.

Now that he isn't able to get fights on skill, he will revert to this kind of crap for future fights, and probably say worse and worse as he gets desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He just has nothing to trouble Dustin, the 4th fight will go the same. He has landed his left numerous times on Dustin in the last 2 fights and he just shrugs it off. Dustin said a couple times he was surprised how weak the guy was.

Does he have the fire in him to reinvent himself, get new coaches, join a high level gym in the US? All the **** he is saying is to hype himself up so I really doubt he has it still. Just became a parody of himself, the thrash talk is just plain nasty and forced and leagues away from the cocky young guy of years back.

If I'm honest I don't think he beats any LW in the Top 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭SM01

10-9 in my view too. Wasn't too much of the G&P getting through and Conor did some good work in the round. I'm surprisingly neutral on Conor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, both fighters fought kinda the opposite of what you'd typically expect from this match up. Dustin closing the distance and overpowering Conor in the stand up and Conor going for the guillotine attempt. I think the most damning aspect for Conor was the lack of respect Dustin had for his power this time out. It's a shame it ended how it did, because it was a thrilling, all action first round. I do believe Dustin would've finished him in the next round or two regardless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So he claims he had a damaged leg before the fight with multiple stress fractures and yet his strategy was to go out there and kick the legs off Dustin 🙄

Doesn't quite add up, does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭mikethecop

he should ask for a rematch with the auld lad in the pub . he might have a shot of winning that one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't disagree that Dustin won the round but to say he was over powering Conor is wrong,

People are totally rewriting that round, Look at it as a neutral who doesn't care either fighter and you'll see the following ,

Conor started by pushing Dustin backwards & continued do with kicks & strikes taking the centre

It was 1 minute 30 seconds in until Dustin pushed forward with a combination which was about 6 punches 3 of which landed & probably buzzed Conor, then Conor clinched him 7 rightly so

The game plan to clinch was actually a good one as in the last fight Conor done damage there & as we all know Dustin is best when he goes on a roll with combo's

The problem was the guillotine was to be used standing as a weapon to stop the take down which was working but Conor got over excited & pulled guard to finish it,He should have instead used it to turn and re-set to striking , Dustin escaped by keeping his legs elevated so Conor couldn't get his leg over (to close to cage) to finish ,by the way Dustin cheated there with using his toes to grip the fence & keep them up a little detail that was huge but over looked,

Once he escaped he had some beautiful ground & pound but got caught with a few hard elbows & up kicks Conor pulled Dustin his glove cheating ) ,

Then Dustin let Conor up as he must have taking a few hard shots, Then the leg break happens & Dustin got a bit more GnP in before the bell,

For me Dustin won the round with his top position a clear 10-9 & not a 10- 8 i think the 10-8 was given because the two judges thought Dustin dropped Conor at the end ,

Conor then was an utter tool again but will ever bounce back from this one

Not really. He gave lot of good factual details about the ankle and its history, admitted he was low for a day or 2, but then was positive about recovery and getting his family over. And determined to succeed again and prove so many wrong. Hopefully we will see him compete again mid 2022. In meantime we got Fury Wilder in Vegas on Oct 9th!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I meant Dustin overpowered him with the punches. I should've specified. Yeah, Conor was pushing him back a bit with the leg kicks alright, but Dustin almost walked through him and landed a few heavy punches. I don't disagree with what you're saying. I think the 10-8s were because they weren't fully aware of how the round finished. 10-9 would be fair enough there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 suspiciousMind

Yeah but serious amount of sacrifice and dedication / luck to get body in shape to even get a look in

This is a good point. When Conor fell on his ankle and Dustin rushed in raining down punches, it all happened so quick everyone seemed to think Dustin knocked him. If anything Conor deserves credit for defending himself well during those 5 seconds before the ref intervened for end of round. And luckily his injury was not worsened by Dustin during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭noc1980

Agree he looks awful making 145 but he's desperate for a win now and I still think even in his current state he's capable of dominating that division or at the very least stringing together a couple of wins there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Same old waffle as before, and then he gets beaten again. He will be out of action for a year, where as most of the top players at 155 will be active and getting the rounds in. His lack of activity can't be ignored and how its impacted his performance. As it has been pointed out, he has 2 wins in 5 years at 170, nothing at 155 at all.

I am sure he is determined, but that won't make up for inactivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Poirier now seems to have his number so don't see the point of another fight .......he's a bit like Diaz in some regard for McGregor (although he won that 2nd fight) ....both big ox's he just seems to have trouble putting away

In saying that I don't see Poirier winning a belt either, he's not particularly great at anything an all rounder but his boxing is a sloppy mess of punches in bunches and his ground game a bit meh .....if Oliveira is at the top of his game he beats him

As for McGregor I dunno, he appears washed up ......the pre fight trash talk was tiresome, I didn't even bother catching the fight live 90% expected that result 10% hoping he'd pull it off (yes I'd still like to see him win)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He has some of the best if not the best boxing in mma. Renowned boxing trainer teddy atlas even gave him plaudits. It might not be the prettiest but its every effective.

His only weakness glaring weakness as been his chin and that seems to have improved now too.

Oliveria is actually a pretty good match up for him. If Dustin can keep it standing he can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So hang on, he had loads of fractures and couldn't train properly and his head coach didn't even know? Or he's lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

He broke his leg, not his neck, its a fight, if you were in a fight and bust your leg, would you not cover up after getting totally dominated ? For 5 seconds too? Uoh well done Conor, you use your reflexes in a fight, and you're a fighter, wow he still has it. Breaking this fight down in to mini sections by some people here is pathetic.

Flag

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

His comments since the fight are only getting worse and worse, I mean how do you reconcile the fact that he went out with a gameplan to kick the **** out of a guy but at the same time was also in serious consideration of being pulled out of the fight because of multiple stress fractures to his leg?

Its sad at this stage actually, everytime he loses theres an excuse but they are really starting to kiss goodbye to reality at this stage, "I had multiple fractures in me leg, so we figured the game plan should be to go out and throw leg kicks at him as hard I possibly could"

I feel the 10-8 cards were tipped by what was a perceived knockdown and swarming of him again, I actually think as all he did was shell up and turn away he was a little lucky Herb didn't step in during those 5 seconds he was cowering against the cage but either way it was a pretty conclusive round in the books for Dustin. Conor has one hell of a hard head, I'll give him that. He took so many elbows to the face and head while getting dominated on his back, he is lucky obviously in that he just doesn't cut up easily but credit to him he has a hard head.

Dominance, Damage and Duration - thats what they use for judging, it was obviously a dominant round for Dustin, even on the feet - Conor had a minute where he was throwing spinning kicks and leg kicks and then Dustin actually took the centre of the cage and the power difference was obvious between them, Conor caught Dustin clean with the left cross Dustin walked through it, Dustin caught Conor with a one two and the left really hurt him, staggering him backward, Dustin followed up getting through again and knocking his head back and then Conor clinches up (in his post fight interview he has somehow already convinced himself Dustin shot to close the distance, not Conor shooting to save his face)

Damage - He had a bloody mouth and ear, but like I said he doesn't cut up easily and it can fool people into thinking he hasn't taken much damage but I can assure you if you've ever been elbowed hard to the face while taking another mans body weight it is very damaging both in that moment and to your long term prospects in a fight.

Duration - Again Conor had about 60 seconds where you could argue he was on to in the feeling out period, he never had the guillotine at all and Dustin was clearly in dominant position for more than 50% of the round. You can see why spending 2/3 minutes on your back while eating elbows is going to stick in a judges mind as being a long time a guy was getting a pasting.

It was a very clear 10-9, and you could make a case for the 10-8 for sure but I don't honestly think we see two judges call it a 10-8 if they realise there was no contact really on the punch and it was purely his own momentum that snapped the leg and put him down.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Khabib fight "me foot was a balloon, me foot was a balloon"

Said he was sparring hard without shin guards for this fight. Why? What happened to Johns "upgrade the software without damaging the hardware" nonsense.

Just excuse after excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

win or learn my arse

Win or complain

• Advertisement

Big Lol at you all on here criticising McGregor so much. The lad has achieved in sport something that no other irish person has before, or even looks like achieving in future. And he even managed to do it and be the pioneer of the sport worldwide. Yes he acted like a tool there for a few years after becoming Champ Champ, partying hard with his posse of deciples, and i didnt like the way he lost a lot of fans during this time and after, he went from funny/charming Conor to ignorant/bully Conor. But sportswise, he got his head back in the game since 2020, has been more or less always looking to fight the top guys, and still has the self-belief that he will get back to the top. Lets hope he recovers well and gets back fighting next year, there is still no bigger ufc show that a top guy vs Conor in Vegas. And yes its usually vs Conor, so he is actually the underdog in most of this fights ye are criticising him for.

Advertisement