Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Thought Dustin looked very comfortable in there. Didn't seem to have any fear from anything McG was producing. Np desire to see another fight between them.

It was a bit of an anti climatic way to end the trilogy and possibly Conor's career.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Anti-climatic for sure, and no doubt if Conor does come back we will see them go again. Its a tricky one for the UFC, realistically if Dustin is champ by the time Conor comes back how can you justify him having a title shot? Presumably he would be matched up with someone like Tony Ferguson, but other than that its a bit of a risk as they can't afford to have him lose either while also setting up the 4th fight.

They will without a doubt want the 4th fight, the PPV buys and money it will bring are all the reasons to make the fight, competitively I don't see a need, Conor is a fast starter who fades and couldn't even stamp his authority in round 1. Dustin is a bit of a slow starter and grows into fights and he had a 10-8 round in round 1.

I think Conor is done at the very highest level, I still think he can match up well against fighters and there is plenty of circus fights for him to do that will bring in the money for himself and the company but as a top guy, a championship challenging fighter I just don't see him ever getting back to it and that will of course hurt him and his fans. Sure he has made choices and he says he regrets none of them, fair play to him hes set himself up and his family up for life but as a competitor he has pretty much wasted his prime years when he could have been staking a claim to be the greatest.

In 5 years he has wins over Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone, both at 170. I'm not even going to get into his personality and his character because this post is already long enough! Long way back for him now, and I don't doubt he will return at all actually but this defeat and injury have pretty much ended his slim hopes of getting back to the top of the MMA world. I was vocal about it being over anyway but this has confirmed it for me. Even his attempts to get himself into that mindset didn't work, he was overly emotional and almost a parody of himself.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Haven't seen it posted anywhere, did any catch Conor's Tony Montana impression leaving the arena. He's cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Bit of a sorry end, but end it probably should be for Conor.

Practically no time in the cage over the last few years and now another setback..

Was fun while it lasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sad ending to his career ,

The Mayweather fight made him for life but it also was the end of him being a top tier MMA fighter,

I don't like the man but UFC should never have put a mic in front of him the weekend,

People have questioned his heart & toughness before but he is one tough hardy f*cker to sit there talking (although it was nonsense) after what happened to his leg ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think they only put the mic in front of him cos he was yelling at Dustin the entire time.

Threatening to kill him and his wife in their sleep is a new low even for him though. Awful person and finished as a fighter. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Stink of Ronda off him, he hasn't evolved into a more rounded fighter, he can throw a big left hand but if that doesn't hurt you, he has nothing else. Dustin just looked so comfortable, he lit him up in the stand up and conor clinched for his life.

Kavanagh I thought couldn't get more deluded after the last fight but he's doing interviews saying he was really happy with the first round. Really your were happy with a 10-8 round? He needs to be fired as Bisping said.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

It's hard to see him bounce back from this injury. The last 2 fights vs Dustin he looked sluggish. He has never defended a title which was a shame. He was a disgrace at the end of the fight the other night, it was embarrassing to watch.  

• Advertisement

I re-watched the fight from a total neutral point of few i couldn't care less who won or lose ,

And up until the leg break it was 10-9 fight ,Correct me if i'm wrong but the judges handed in there card would they have known it was a leg break ? they may not have seen it and thought Dustin put Conor down with a punch ,

Conor was doing well until he went for choke,Dustin did not take him down in that sense, I heard John say they had been working that choke but form a standing position to ward Dustin off but Conor thought he had it and went for the finish ,

Dustin complained about Conor holding his gloves but something that went unnoticed was Dustin got out of the choke because he himself cheated/bended the rules , Re-watch it he used his toes to grip the cage that is why he was kind of suspended upside down for a few second & it stops Conor getting his leg over to finish the choke,

Dustin probably had his number any way but i don't think Conor took a beaten like people said ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

This was the second highest PPV event after Conor and Khabib and I think McGregor has featured in each of the top 5

(Numbers are coming from Dana White interview though so I'm not sure if they are verified by anyone external to the UFC)

With his ring comments / garbled whackery he somehow managed to find a new low going after Poirier's wife

Vile pos

If only....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

It was genuinely pathetic. Hes unable to stand, his ankle flopping around like a limp noodle, and hes threatening to take it outside with Dustin?? Saying "be careful what you say, im a dangerous man" and making gun signs to his head, and just the other day doing a tweet and delete of photos of Dustins infant daughter with the caption "gonezo"?? **** him. Hes a trash human being. Ronda and Chaels take on it that he wa s"cutting a promo" is bullshit. You could see this was literal, seething, venomous anger. It wasnt a promo, Conor just let his inner knacker out. It was reminiscent of a scumbag losing a fight after picking on the wrong person, then screaming "oil get ya ye bollix ill bleedin kill ya next time!!" as they run away.

And while i agree they never should have mic'd him up with all that adrenaline flowing, he was screaming half this **** before Rogan ever scooched up next to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A mate said conor reminded him of the Black Knight from Monty Pythons holy grail , sitting on the ground unable to move anywhere and shouting abuse at everyone! :) "i'll bite your legs off"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I think the judges only gave it a 10 8 because of the perceived knockdown. Conor did look pretty good tho. I didn't see that quit in his eyes that he gets just before he loses. Saying that though, the first round is always his best and Dustin took it handily, and he was only going to get stronger as the fight went on.

Fight analyst weazle has disproved that online. It looks like the elbow didn't even make contact.

The leg injury was probably caused by a combination of hard kicks thrown in training camp as well as the fight. He doesnt seem to have the legs for that type of game. He left on crutches after diaz 2 after a similar gameplan.

He sunk to a new low. Those threats are criminal and he should face consequences for them.

I was such a big fan for years, but not anymore. I've been uncomfortable with his antics since Aldo and he has gone so much worse than that now. Hes shown himself to be an out and out scumbag bully. I'm ashamed hes irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭noc1980

I had 3 takeaways from that fight.

1. He seemed underpowered compared to Dustin who appeared bigger and much stronger. McGregor's shots don't carry the same weight at 155 and his chin isn't as solid. Can he make 145 again?
    2. His legs are brittle. Broken leg, on crutches after the previous fight, on crutches after Diaz II, injured in the Holloway fight.
    3. His cardio and speed is still suspect at 155. Not light on his feet at that weight, slow and sluggish, can't get out of the way of shots, doesn't make his opponent pay for pressuring him / moving forward. Such a stark difference compared to the Aldo & Brimmage fights. Where does he go from here? Box one of the YouTubers and not worry about his leg or return to 145? Surely he's done at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best thing that happened was the break. He can hide behind this. Very likely he gets crushed had it not happened. Poirier was mauling him. And Conor looked his usual gassed self. Post fight comments with Rogan were a new low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Man that's sad, breaking down a fight to 90 second sections and giving it to your boy, 10 8 all the way, that combo that Dustin hit him with at 3.35 left was actually the start of the end if he had stood and traded, he clinched for his life then. All his worth and the man can't walk now,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

1. I realy doubt it and it would make him look terrible if he did.
    2. Too much cycling. A weird thing to be doing so much of for an MMA fight. Strong rumours that his knee never really healed properly after Holloway.
    3. Kinda like Tyson fter Kevin Rooney left. Believes his own hype. Wants to brawl.

This leg break will extend his career if he wants. A lot of sympathy for that kind of thing. And love him or hate him, sitting there talking **** with his leg snapped in two is tough stuff.

The Tony Montana exit on the stretcher too. I think he just cares about chaos as opposed to winning and losing now. There will defo be a 4th fight.

So do we know exactly when (what time) in the fight he broke the leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I thought 10-8 was too generous. Conor started fast, looked committed and sharp and dangerous. Had several good moments, and did well on the ground under pressure…defo a clear 10/9, and likely a hammering in round 2, but 10-8 not fair.

Again i hate arguing in Conor's favour at all because it makes you look like a fan of his and i am not but he had good success in the first fight in the clinch ,he spoke about it afterwards every one did, So i don't think he hung on for dear life it was more of a case of being hit with a decent shot and clinching with the plan to hit Dustin in there then re-set,

He also done ok there the mistake was trying to finish the choke & going to the ground, he was to close to the fence which gave him no room to get the leg over ( plus the fact Dustin used his toes to hold the cage )

Dustin won the round from there but personally i thought it was 10- 9 round & Conor's only real error was trying to finish the choke 7 bringing the GnP on himself

I wont go into size to much because iv bored everyone on here for a long time saying Conor is to small for LW,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was 10-9 for me. Conor was never really in trouble. Very unlucky his ankle gave way from under him and he broke them bones, that must have been excruciating pain. Dustin then rush in and reign in blows on a defenceless man, will give him the benefit of not knowing that Conor was down because of a horrific injury. Also ref didnt seem to spot it, and had it happened 10 seconds earlier he probably would have stopped the fight proclaiming Dustin the winner without realising. Fair play to Conor for being able to still someway defend himself for those 5 seconds at the end. What a warrior he is, we we will never see an irish sports star of his calibre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I only just watched that behind the scenes video from the 2nd Dustin fight, but backstage Dustin was talking about having Conor up against the cage, and i was surprised because Dustin was saying he was handling Conor easily and that he seemed surprised at how Conor isnt very strong. Think he definitely had his biggest advantage cutting to FW, and its just not there at LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I read the MMA Section regularly but dont post really anymore, not really sure why but its amazing to see the amount of people coming out of the woodwork and posting all sort of **** and their 'Expert' Opinions on the fight... Id assume you would all have comments and feedback on the fight had he won.. 10-8 is ridiculous by many standards... Try remain objective. Using Judges scorecards as a benchmark isnt the best indication, MMA Judging is awful most of the time being honest. You can still think McGregor is POS especially for all the talk and shameful things he said after the fight and before it, he has certainly fallen from grace in that department more and more over the years however many of you are letting your hatred cloud your objective judgement.

You can also sit back and make assumptions on how round 2 might have gone but this is MMA fights and rounds swing on a dime regulary, you would swear we didnt just watch that in the UFC Lightweight title fight a few months back between Oliveira and Chandler or many other fights that came before it and after it since.

Given he was committed to being active and it looked like we would have a good run of him fighting again and the UFC supporting it as a fan of MMA and having active Irish fighters in the UFC the result is just sad across the board. There is some fantastic fights for him within the Top 10 with years of rivalries built up and most likely a good few of those fights will now be off the board given his road to recovery and what fights he takes when he is back.

Either way great result for Dustin and their team, He is an all round great fighter and gives it his all every time. I'm looking forward to a smasher between him and Oliveira, if Charles can survive Dustins pressure against the fence and combos i see him catching Dustin in a submission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can't agree... Sure Katie Taylor is one of his peers.

Advertisement