Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Nal wrote:
    Hes only beaten a much smaller washed up Alvarez, a washed up Cerrone and a punchbag in Nate through his peak years.

So you are just not including what suits you and not Aldo, Mendes, Poirier and Holloway.
    You pick 26 as the younger age so as to avoid them. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I'd like to see McGregor kick, period. Where were the stabbing teeps, or thigh shots? He looked so much sharper against Cowboy than he did vs Dustin.

yeah, those teeps don't always look like they do much, but they have been a big strength of Conor's in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You've clearly never been on the receiving end of one. They are deeply, deeply unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You've clearly never been on the receiving end of one. They are deeply, deeply unpleasant.

That's the point he's making.... I got a teep to dick when sparring. That was horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

And that's why cups are so important.

Those stabbing teeps he used to do suck the soul out of you, could usually see the effect fairly quickly after a few of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Those stabbing teeps he used to do suck the soul out of you, could usually see the effect fairly quickly after a few of them.

I've been meaning to right a long-ish prediction/thoughts on the fight (BT Sports if you're watching I'm cheap). Spolier. It mentions teeps/front snap kicks.

Any thoughts on how Conor will be prepared for the calf kicks this time round?

Now, Dustin may not utilize them at all as it will seem very obvious, but at the same time if they are there for the taking, he will take them.

One of the best ways to combat these kicks, is to deliver them yourself, so will be interesting to see if Conor uses the same tactice, a la Diaz 2. Stance will have to change for sure.

Any thoughts?

I saw him sitting outside on line with his lower legs in what looked to be cold/ice water.
    Maybe this is to reduce swelling from tryin to build up resistance to lower limb strikes. It wont do any good though, best way to take a kick anywhere is simply not be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There horrible, but Conor is using them to create distance more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you are just not including what suits you and not Aldo, Mendes, Poirier and Holloway.
    You pick 26 as the younger age so as to avoid them. Lol.

No Im picking the time since his first UFC loss and when he became less active. ie the point when his career started going south.

I hope he wins on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Since Conor moved up to lightweight the spinning kicks have all but gone , yes he got Cowboy wit hone but that's after he knew he hurt him

I think its because he now carries more muscle mass & tires quicker,plus the guys can take his shots better, He has tried to be far more efficient with his strikes but it has made him more predictable ,

Even at FW he would set a pace get the Ko but be in jocker himself, remember Brandao he finished him quickly but was knackered himself, The same with Mendes it was a second round stoppage but Conor was nearly out of gas himself,

That style of setting a really quick pace by throwing loads spinning kicks and teeps but getting guys out of there before your own gas tank empties hasn't worked at LW because the guys are bigger and can take more punishment & he is carrying more weight himself ,

The calculated style work well against Eddie & Cowboy as both guys can be put away & have weaker chins ,

I can't see him stopping Dustin at LW , He will have to put to much gas into it & then Dustin will get him when he is tired,

• Advertisement

I can't see him stopping Dustin at LW , He will have to put to much gas into it & then Dustin will get him when he is tired,

Dustin is a deceptively tough ****er. Only stopped twice in 33 fights.

Think the crowd will make a difference for McGregor?

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

They really are a fine set of gnashers he has now.

The Nal wrote: »
    Dustin is a deceptively tough ****er. Only stopped twice in 33 fights.

Think the crowd will make a difference for McGregor?

Madness

To me Dustin is always very unsure of himself outside the cage,

If i was Conor id have ramped up the mind games & be a total P*ick to Dustin he's a very emotional l guy

Last time out he was way to reserved & nice to Dustin

Even with the cup it hurts. One does not go to a striking class with KC without a cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Since Conor moved up to lightweight the spinning kicks have all but gone , yes he got Cowboy wit hone but that's after he knew he hurt him

I think its because he now carries more muscle mass & tires quicker,plus the guys can take his shots better, He has tried to be far more efficient with his strikes but it has made him more predictable ,

Even at FW he would set a pace get the Ko but be in jocker himself, remember Brandao he finished him quickly but was knackered himself, The same with Mendes it was a second round stoppage but Conor was nearly out of gas himself,

That style of setting a really quick pace by throwing loads spinning kicks and teeps but getting guys out of there before your own gas tank empties hasn't worked at LW because the guys are bigger and can take more punishment & he is carrying more weight himself ,

The calculated style work well against Eddie & Cowboy as both guys can be put away & have weaker chins ,

Wonder will he aim for a longer game plan similar to Diaz 2, take it on points?

Even with the cup it hurts. One does not go to a striking class with KC without a cup![/QUOTE

Difficult task to stay in there with Dusitn for 5 rounds and not to get hit with some big shots ,

Out of all the current lightweight i think Dustin is best suited to beating Conor do to his durability at the weight ,

The rest of them he can be put to sleep

I just got my text to get the vaccine at 1 on Sunday, suffering jaysis like

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wonder will he aim for a longer game plan similar to Diaz 2, take it on points?

He has two options.....go for broke and throw heavy leather early to get Dustin out, or be calm, patient, methodical ad energy saving to try just win....

I think Conor should maybe try be a little less forward and offensive and aggressive, and let Dustin own the octagon and dictate the flow...

Be a lot less energetic early on, and pick shots more....regroup....conserve energy. Time hs shots and get in hard counters.

Dustin is not made of granite. He can be hurt and rocked and wobbled.....but Conor should not waste too much effort trying to do it.

Slow it down.....and hope Dustin doesn't pres too hard...if Dustin forces the pace, Conor has to take him out within 2 rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Same but mines at 11.10 :(

Don't go then. simples!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    He has two options.....go for broke and throw heavy leather early to get Dustin out, or be calm, patient, methodical ad energy saving to try just win....

I think Conor should maybe try be a little less forward and offensive and aggressive, and let Dustin own the octagon and dictate the flow...

Be a lot less energetic early on, and pick shots more....regroup....conserve energy. Time hs shots and get in hard counters.

Dustin is not made of granite. He can be hurt and rocked and wobbled.....but Conor should not waste too much effort trying to do it.

Slow it down.....and hope Dustin doesn't pres too hard...if Dustin forces the pace, Conor has to take him out within 2 rds.

Remember when he was known for being a counter puncher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Had mine at 8.30 in the morning Sunday, who da fuk gets up at that time on a Sunday apart from holy men .....place was jammers but not much queuing surprisingly ........you can always cancel by replying 'new' to get another date

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

walshb wrote: »

It's really not his style holding back but it worked for the Diaz rematch. However Dustin is a far better and more dangerous fighter than Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

rob316 wrote: »
    It's really not his style holding back but it worked for the Diaz rematch. However Dustin is a far better and more dangerous fighter than Diaz.

There's also the point that Diaz is almost impossible to knock out, so going for a points won was the logical strategy. McGregor will be confident he can stop Poirier, who is demonstrably more likely to put away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dirty move by Conor. I'd still like to know what the message says though.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1412545268696813570?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I don't get it? What's he even trying to say? That she's propositioning him? She could've been messaging him about the charity donation or anything. He just comes across as a bit of a dick posting that. No surprises there though.

There's also the point that Diaz is almost impossible to knock out, so going for a points won was the logical strategy. McGregor will be confident he can stop Poirier, who is demonstrably more likely to put away.

Diaz appears harder to stop because he takes so much abuse.
    He clearly has an amazing chin, but that is cancelled by the fact he gets hit so much.

Diaz has been stopped with strikes twice in 33 fights. (once at LW and once at WW).
    Dustin has been stopped with strikes twice in 34 fights. (once at LW and once at FW).

I think either game plan as risks. Either could go wrong vrs Dustin.

Still Ill wrote: »
    I don't get it? What's he even trying to say? That she's propositioning him? She could've been messaging him about the charity donation or anything. He just comes across as a bit of a dick posting that. No surprises there though.
    He saying she messaged him, it's a bit of needling.
    There's no real reason for her to be messaging him this week, but it may not be from this week either.

Well then. Question is, did he feel the leg break early and went for the guillotine or was he just getting hammered again?

Gives him a pass either way.

• Advertisement

I don’t want to see a 4th Dustin v Conor fight. Time to move on.

Advertisement