Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Georges has no problem being the worst guy in the room if it makes him a better fighter. Georges is assessing his weaknesses after every fight with his coaches. Even after the fights he won. Conor clearly thinks he's perfect.
    Well that’s clearly not true either.

Eddie Bravo mentioned Conor dropped into his gym in his FW days. Eddie said he had no problem jumping in with his best guys and that UFC guys typically don’t do that.

Conor brought in Danis to his camp. Clearly he recognised that his bjj needed a lift.
    Trained BJJ with Chris Hauter too.
    I’ve seen Mick Conlon and Paddy Barnes in for boxing sessions.etc

I don’t think it’s wanting to be the best guy in the room. I think it’s more a warped sense of loyalty his has.
    Would really question who his sparring partners will be for the next 10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Mellor wrote: »

I don’t think it’s wanting to be the best guy in the room. I think it’s more a warped sense of loyalty his has.

Yeah, I totally agree with this.. He's very publicly mentioned loyalty to his team and questioned other fighters on theirs. I'd be pretty sure he feels he can't go back on that. Not sure he'd even want to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think it will comes down to who wants it more.

That's between now and 9 weeks time.

To me, Dustin needs and wants the win more.

Conor could take it or leave it, probably already has his mind set on what he'll do after the fight such as box Manny or some YouTube kid.

I doubt his fire is burning as high as Dustins to win the belt, he's already achieved that first time of asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Eddie Bravo mentioned Conor dropped into his gym in his FW days. Eddie said he had no problem jumping in with his best guys and that UFC guys typically don’t do that.

Conor brought in Danis to his camp. Clearly he recognised that his bjj needed a lift.
    Trained BJJ with Chris Hauter too.
    I’ve seen Mick Conlon and Paddy Barnes in for boxing sessions.etc

FW days a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Esse85 wrote: »
    I think it will comes down to who wants it more.

That's between now and 9 weeks time.

To me, Dustin needs and wants the win more.

Conor could take it or leave it, probably already has his mind set on what he'll do after the fight such as box Manny or some YouTube kid.

I doubt his fire is burning as high as Dustins to win the belt, he's already achieved that first time of asking.

Considering he made another few hundred million selling his proper 12 shares he has even less motivation I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    FW days a long time ago.

Only the Eddie Bravo story we FW. The rest was later. Nate rematch, after the Eddie fight.

The question here is does he want to avenge the loss. Going into Nate 2, he gameplanned, prepared, and fount smart. He needs to do all of that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Weigh the same same but one is stronger. Of course. Muscles don’t equal strength. But we never mentioned strength.

Weight the same, but be bigger. I don’t understand that. Bigger how? Size is typically measured by mass. Ie kilograms or pounds.
    If I’m 80kg and your 77kg. I’m bigger.

The muscle bound freak gets mauled because he has no skill. Nothing to do with natural weight.

Are you trying to say a persons natural weight if they never trained verses a weight they’ve bulked up to? I don’t think that’s significant. If they both walk at 175kg then neither is bigger. A fighter is bigger when they cut more to weigh in.

Dustin is a big 155er. He’s certainly bigger than he was in the past.
    032_Dustin_Poirier.0.0.jpg

I think your underestimating natural size,

Conor frame is much smaller than Dustin he only weighs the same because he has added extra muscle to his frame to get up in weigh a lot of that muscle is for show and doesn't help him, it also effects his gas tank ,

There is 100% a difference between someone who is a natural at a weight and someone who need to pack extra muscle onto get to the weight,

GSP is a great example although he went up and won the belt he said he would never defend the belt at middle weight and didn't
    He said just didn't feel the same with the extra muscle and his athletic performance suffered because of the extra weight on his frame, He also said it took him nearly 2 years after added the size for his cardio to catch up

The guys very intelligent and isn't interested in saying things just for his ego , He knew the extra muscle hampered him ,

Conor may have been getting to big for FW but he's not a natural lightweight , Like Diaz to drained at LW but not big or strong enough for WW,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is he starting his fight camp soon? Still running on a treadmill and kicking a bag over in Dubai.
    For a guy who is so rusty, I thought he'd be doing some real training at this stage, more than the usual 6-8 week camp.

I think your underestimating natural size,
    I think you’re overstating natural size.
    Whether somebody bulks to 170lbs or is naturally 170lbs they weigh the same on top of you, the force to move them is the same, the weight behind a punch is the same, etc
    Conor frame is much smaller than Dustin he only weighs the same because he has added extra muscle to his frame to get up in weigh a lot of that muscle is for show and doesn't help him, it also effects his gas tank,
    For show? What are you basing this on.
    There are styles of training that muscle grow disproportionately to strength/power. But MMA fighters and athletes generally don’t train like that.

Muscle mass affects cardio. I’ve never seen any evidence that suggests it’s only muscle gained and not natural muscle.
    There is 100% a difference between someone who is a natural at a weight and someone who need to pack extra muscle onto get to the weight,
    Dustin had to put on extra muscle when he moved up. His frame is noticeably bigger now.
    In particular around the waist and in the face/jaw.

He clearly has also added muscle to his natural frame via training.

GSP is a great example although he went up and won the belt he said he would never defend the belt at middle weight and didn't
    He said just didn't feel the same with the extra muscle and his athletic performance suffered because of the extra weight on his frame, He also said it took him nearly 2 years after added the size for his cardio to catch up
    GSP around when he won the belt had colitis. Important factor you’re leaving out. He also never cut as much as Conor, and moved up a 15lbs. So that’s was a much bigger task for him.

I never has said it’s possible to do it overnight. 2 years sounds about right to me. Conor moved up
    5 years ago.

There’s a limit to how much individuals can move up of course. But we’re talking 10 lbs over a few years. Actually less when you factor in that he was probably a weight outlier at FW.

There’s maybe 5lbs difference in their natural weight weight. And less on the night. That’s not significant in the outcome of the fight imo.

I think you’re overstating natural size.
    Whether somebody bulks to 170lbs or is naturally 170lbs they weigh the same on top of you, the force to move them is the same, the weight behind a punch is the same, etc

For show? What are you basing this on.
    There are styles of training that muscle grow disproportionately to strength/power. But MMA fighters and athletes generally don’t train like that.

Muscle mass affects cardio. I’ve never seen any evidence that suggests it’s only muscle gained and not natural muscle.

Dustin had to put on extra muscle when he moved up. His frame is noticeably bigger now.
    In particular around the waist and in the face/jaw.

He clearly has also added muscle to his natural frame via training.

GSP around when he won the belt had colitis. Important factor you’re leaving out. He also never cut as much as Conor, and moved up a 15lbs. So that’s was a much bigger task for him.

I never has said it’s possible to do it overnight. 2 years sounds about right to me. Conor moved up
    5 years ago.

There’s a limit to how much individuals can move up of course. But we’re talking 10 lbs over a few years. Actually less when you factor in that he was probably a weight outlier at FW.

There’s maybe 5lbs difference in their natural weight weight. And less on the night. That’s not significant in the outcome of the fight imo.

Its not the same, building yourself up to a weight than naturally that being your weight class is a very different thing ,

Why did Conor himself always remark on being to big to strong at FW if there all the same size ? He said Aldo was just a boy compared to him and he was right,

Even when he beat Eddie ,Conor himself said Eddie was just a blow up FW, with no attributes like size or length,

Your VO2 changes when you add muscle and takes far longer for you to balance that out than to simply add muscle ,

Dustin is always had a bigger frame than Conor, His waist has always been wider , He is also the heaviest person to step foot in the cage at LW on fight night,

Conor had the power to spark a depleted Dustin a FW, he doesn't at LW ,

If you've seen them in person Dustin, Khabib even the likes of Ferguson or Kevin Lee are just bigger blokes than Conor ,

He was the bigger stronger man at FW he said it himself many times its simply not the case at LW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mma_noobie

Conor thinks he can just "puck" the head off the lads starting with Poirer.

He has no power. He has no speed. He is a one dimensional fighter.

There is no growth mindset with McGregor. He is finished.

Poirer breaks his jaw

Its not the same, building yourself up to a weight than naturally that being your weight class is a very different thing
    The parts I listed are the same. That’s not to say it’s all the same. But it’s a lot closer to the truth than saying added muscle is just for show. I mean, it takes two seconds to prove that’s false.
    Why did Conor himself always remark on being to big to strong at FW if there all the same size ?
    Well they weren’t all the same size.
    You think Conor became champ he was stronger, or bigger. That’s a bit silly.
    You already gave the example of a big guy getting mauled on day 1 at bjj.
    Even when he beat Eddie ,Conor himself said Eddie was just a blow up FW, with no attributes like size or length,
    Because Conor would never try to wind up an opponent?
    Eddie fought at LW an WW, but I don’t think he was ever at FW.
    Your VO2 changes when you add muscle and takes far longer for you to balance that out than to simply add muscle
    More than 5 years? I doubt it
    Dustin is always had a bigger frame than Conor, His waist has always been wider , He is also the heaviest person to step foot in the cage at LW on fight night,
    Do you have a source for that?
    How heavy?
    He was the bigger stronger man at FW he said it himself many times its simply not the case at LW
    I’ve claimed he was a bigger man at LW. Strawman argument.

Simple question.
    How big do you think Dustin and Conor will be in the cage?
    And what do you think their “natural” weights are? What ever that means to you.

Dust is been at LW longer, he’d bigger. It’s obviously one of the factors, but it’s not the only one. Nor is it the biggest one.

• Fighters fight to earn a living i.e make money.

McGregor transcended the sport like nobody ever has, and all before he hit 30. He made boxing money while being an MMA fighter.

He had no reason to abandon SBG, what would he really gain? Other fighters jump teams in order to improve i.e earn more money.

Whether McGregor was being trained by SBG, American Top Team, or myself made very little difference - he was the selling point. People either tuned in to see him win, or to see him get shut the **** up.

In my opinion, the hungry, motivated, McGregor of 2013-2016 wipes the octagon with Poirier.

But, as Marvin Hagler said - "It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas"

If the fight against Khabib couldn't reignited that flame, nothing will.

McGregor's hunger has been satiated.

Fighters fight to earn a living i.e make money.

McGregor transcended the sport like nobody ever has, and all before he hit 30. He made boxing money while being an MMA fighter.

He had no reason to abandon SBG, what would he really gain? Other fighters jump teams in order to improve i.e earn more money.

Whether McGregor was being trained by SBG, American Top Team, or myself made very little difference - he was the selling point. People either tuned in to see him win, or to see him get shut the **** up.

In my opinion, the hungry, motivated, McGregor of 2013-2016 wipes the octagon with Poirier.

But, as Marvin Hagler said - "It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas"

If the fight against Khabib couldn't reignited that flame, nothing will.

McGregor's hunger has been satiated.

McGregor was in fully fledged party mode in the lead up to that Khabib fight. Drinking and consuming things that an athlete shouldn't be consuming.

As you said, if that fight didn't ignite the flame then nothing will.

Poirer is a dog and hungry as ever. Easy win

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'd say McGregor is all about money now. All his fights have got him huge money and this fight will too. If he loses this one though then the money like dries up so I think he'll be very focused here.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I'd say McGregor is all about money now. All his fights have got him huge money and this fight will too. If he loses this one though then the money like dries up so I think he'll be very focused here.

Disagree.

McGregor is chilling by himself in Dubai doing feck all work apart from a few runs.

The man has turned into everything he said he hated fighterwise

The parts I listed are the same. That’s not to say it’s all the same. But it’s a lot closer to the truth than saying added muscle is just for show. I mean, it takes two seconds to prove that’s false.

Well they weren’t all the same size.
    You think Conor became champ he was stronger, or bigger. That’s a bit silly.
    You already gave the example of a big guy getting mauled on day 1 at bjj.

Because Conor would never try to wind up an opponent?
    Eddie fought at LW an WW, but I don’t think he was ever at FW.

More than 5 years? I doubt it

Do you have a source for that?
    How heavy?

I’ve claimed he was a bigger man at LW. Strawman argument.

Simple question.
    How big do you think Dustin and Conor will be in the cage?
    And what do you think their “natural” weights are? What ever that means to you.

Dust is been at LW longer, he’d bigger. It’s obviously one of the factors, but it’s not the only one. Nor is it the biggest one.

Do you really think everyone in the same weight class is the same size ?
    In your word anyone could just add muscle & weight and fit perfectly into the next weight class up, that just nonsense .

Conor's huge advantage at FW was his natural size and strength advantage, Why do you think he all of a sudden stopped running straight through everyone ,Do you think Mendes or Aldo are naturally as big ads Conor ?

Dan hooker for one stated before he fought Dustin he seen Dustin pre fight weigh and it was 182lbs on fight night,

There was a recently of a load of official fight night weights floating around Dustin was at 182.9lbs for Conor fight, ,

Look your aren't going to change your mind you have it made up which is fine but trust me two guys can weigh the same and one can be bigger, ( iv been the smaller guy at the same weight numerous times not in mma )

We can agree to disagree no point clogging up the thread for others ,

Conor said as much himself post-Alvarez.

"You need attributes!" Conor claimed. He listed attributes such as size, reach etc.

Poirer has that in abundance. McGregor was out in the last fight - make no mistake.

By Conor's own admission he can beat up smaller men.

The fella is a scumbag and busted flush.

Dustin the Diamond to sparkle again in 8 weeks time can't wait.

Conor is the shame of Dublin - Dublin's finest haha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »

Dry up? The man has more money than God right now. He's also shown himself to be a very savvy businessman.

He made tens of millions from MMA.

He turned that into earning even more in a one-off boxing match.

Add both those figures together and he's still (apparently) made more than that from creating and selling a product that has nothing to do with either sport.

He likes the good life but it's not as if he's throwing it around like that idiot Mayweather and others like him. He'll never have to worry about money again.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Dry up? The man has more money than God right now. He's also shown himself to be a very savvy businessman.

He made tens of millions from MMA.

He turned that into earning even more in a one-off boxing match.

Add both those figures together and he's still (apparently) made more than that from creating and selling a product that has nothing to do with either sport.

He likes the good life but it's not as if he's throwing it around like that idiot Mayweather and others like him. He'll never have to worry about money again.
    Won't be long before he is losing against the Youtubers.

I genuinely think Katie Taylor outboxes him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

mma_noobie wrote: »

Well she is a professional boxer..

Yeah, and Jonathan Sexton would beat Lionel Messi in a game of Rugby. Doesn't say much.

But if Conor's main drive is money, they he should step away because he will get hurt by the Poiriers of the world who, while they are in it for the money as well, as also in it for the glory. To spend their days as a Champion and to be remembered like Champions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yeah, and Jonathan Sexton would beat Lionel Messi in a game of Rugby. Doesn't say much.

But if Conor's main drive is money, they he should step away because he will get hurt by the Poiriers of the world who, while they are in it for the money as well, as also in it for the glory. To spend their days as a Champion and to be remembered like Champions are.

He should have never come back for the Khabib fight - money made and left with a good record.

Its looking potentially like he will be the one who never defended any title and finished his career 3 losses and 1 win over a has been.

Was good fun to watch though - got me into MMA to be honest - watched with relative disinterest pre mcgregor.

Johnny Sexton isn't going around claiming to be a great football player.

McGregor made a name of beating up smaller me with his dated left hand punch.

Beating Cerrone?! Come off it. Doesn't count.

We all know what McGregor is - both inside and outside of the ring

Johnny Sexton isn't going around claiming to be a great football player.

Doesn't matter. Conor McGregor isn't challenging Katie Taylor to a boxing match either.
    McGregor made a name of beating up smaller me with his dated left hand punch.

Beating Cerrone?! Come off it. Doesn't count.

I've enjoyed your posts so far but it hasn't taken long for you to show your bias.

Watch his demolition of the Eddie Alvarez to win the LW belt and tell me he's just a "dated left hand punch".

Doesn't matter. Conor McGregor isn't challenging Katie Taylor to a boxing match either.

I've enjoyed your posts so far but it hasn't taken long for you to show your bias.

Watch his demolition of the Eddie Alvarez to win the LW belt and tell me he's just a "dated left hand punch".

In fairness Alvarez was possibly the poorest LW champ you could think of.

It has dated a bit - couldn't knock out Diaz, knocked him down a bit alright, couldn't hurt kebab, failed against Dustin.

I do think its bigger men that can take hits harder and also hit harder.

Hope he really brings a new game or at least an A game - but for that I was hoping he would be working hard now on both cardio and the many other areas for potential improvement. He seems to be having a right laugh in Dubai instead - and who can blame a man who is doing very well for himself.

The Eddie performance was near perfection, it was a beautiful victory on every sense ,

Eddie was perfect match up in styles for Conor someone who always got hit a lot and more often than not got hurt in fights,

Conor was and is a level above Eddie

In fairness Alvarez was possibly the poorest LW champ you could think of.

It's irrelevant what your perception of Alvarez is. The facts are he was the legitimate UFC LW Champion at the time and McGregor put together a clinic against him.

To say that McGregor is just a guy who beat up smaller guys with just a single left-hand is incorrect and is only something someone who had an anti-McGregor bias would say IMO.

It's irrelevant what your perception of Alvarez is. The facts are he was the legitimate UFC LW Champion at the time and McGregor put together a clinic against him.

To say that McGregor is just a guy who beat up smaller guys with just a single left-hand is incorrect and is only something someone who had an anti-McGregor bias would say IMO.

It was one of the most perfect title wins we have ever seen,
    Really was a beautiful performance,

Conor doesn't just beat up smaller guys but that advantage at FW made him unstoppable down there IMO

• Advertisement

Very true, I would really change the sentiment to mcgregor was dangerous when he was properly active, since his activity wained so has his ability (from what i have seen at least).

He seemed hungry and dangerous when he was on his roll - nowadays we hope for a return to his past but he really has not justified that hope much.

And all the years he has failed to improve the likes of cardio etc.

All that said I hope he comes out and lands a haymaker that sets up a title shot. Honestly he is entertainment love him or hate him.

Advertisement